Apple invites press to 'talk iPhone' at media event on Oct. 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I hope it's not all iPhone and we get some new iPods to.

They might update the iPods under the radar and just place them in the store. The updates to the lineup probably aren't significant. Apple will need the entire time of the event for the iPhone likely.
  • Reply 42 of 188
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Not if you're buying it as a fashion accessory. If it doesn't have arbitrary changes to the form factor, you're just another schlub with last year's toy.

If you're interested in quick churn to feed a relentless need for novelty you're more likely to be an Android customer, I would think.

Outside of some modest tweaks, to date Apple has basically made two styles of iPhone-- the original and the 4. Anyone looking for constant, surprising overhauls to the case parts are barking up the wrong tree.
  • Reply 43 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Judging from past invitations, Apple loves hidden meanings. I'm seeing a lot of "4" references here.

- 4 icons.

- The sum of all visible digits, divided by the number of icons:

4+10+280+1=295.

2+9+5=16.

16/4=4

Or, If you take the map icon as meaning 1 Infinite Loop:

4+10+1+1=16

16/4=4.

Wow. I don't know whether to be suitably impressed at your analysis, intrigued by Apple's potential emphasis on symbolism - or just plain scared!
  • Reply 44 of 188
    The number 1 on the missed call = only 1 model will be announced. Either it is 4S or 5. It will not be both.
  • Reply 45 of 188
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Scotty: Computer! Computer?

[He's handed a mouse, and he speaks into it]

Scotty: Hello, computer.

Dr. Nichols: Just use the keyboard.

Scotty: Keyboard. How quaint.

FWIW I believe the Assistant can address you by name IIRC. Gimmicky perhaps, but certainly more personable.
  • Reply 46 of 188
    WOOOOOOOT !

Let's go iOS5 !!!!!
  • Reply 47 of 188
    What economic crisis? What unemployment numbers? iPhone 5 is upon us, everything will be ok!
  • Reply 48 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Hmm, iPhone 4S or iPhone 5?

Judging from past invitations, Apple loves hidden meanings. I'm seeing a lot of "4" references here.

- The 4th of October as a double entendre.

- 4 icons.

- The sum of all visible digits, divided by the number of icons:

4+10+280+1=295.

2+9+5=16.

16/4=4

Or, If you take the map icon as meaning 1 Infinite Loop:

4+10+1+1=16

16/4=4.

Ok, I'll put my tinfoil hat away!

Google is calling you... they need your skills at the next auction...
  • Reply 49 of 188
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I had figured most of you were already aware of the upcoming integrated voice-search using Sari's tech....

Perhaps the most useful new feature IMHO, and unfortunately reported not compatible/unavailable for any of the current or older iPhone models. Gotta have a reason to buy a new phone , right?

Why do you suppose it would not be compatible with iPhone 4? Kind of risky to keep a system wide integrated feature out of the developer builds just as a wow factor presentation item.
  • Reply 50 of 188
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Ugh.

Double ugh. Better be able to turn it off. There's little I hate more in the tech world that overly intrusive software. Remember "Clippy"? This better not be Clippy *with a voice*.

I doubt that the OS response is spoken. Rather, you talk to the phone and it presents you with choices-- so that if you say "call Joe" you'll get a list of any numbers you have for Joe, which is just as it should be. Not intrusive at all, since you've already chosen voice control at that point and the OS isn't just throwing up options willy nilly ala Clippy.

I have to say, if the rumored voice control/recognition is as slick and integrated as rumored, I think it will a huge game changer, one of the biggest Apple has ever done.

No one, to date, has actually gotten voice control right. Either the error rate is too high, it's slow, you have to jump through too many hoops, or it's just easier to press some buttons.

What is being described works as follows: you long press the home button, say "Dinner with Jim tomorrow night at 7 at the nearest Chow", and the OS (apparently almost instantly) makes a calendar entry, shows a map for where the restaurant is, and offers a phone number to touch so you can call and make a reservation. Or, with the Wolfram Alpha integration, long press the home button and say "How many kilometers in 15 miles?" and you get a number almost instantly. Or "how far from here to St. Louis?" You get the idea.

It makes the iPhone a different kind of device, in a way that neatly sidesteps all the old problems of shoehorning an intuitive way of doing complex things into a tiny form factor. If they've actually pulled it off, it will be a huge coup and sales driver, and one that really lends itself to some killer ads.
  • Reply 51 of 188
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

why, what did you hear about the iPhone 6?

A little birdy told me there'll be three versions, an iPhone 6, an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 4SS, the last of which is completely free, but you agree to be constantly wiretapped.
  • Reply 52 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I heard it'll support LTE and have a curved screen.

I heard it'll have 1TB of storage and 1GB of RAM
  • Reply 53 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I doubt that the OS response is spoken. .

In "conversation mode" it will be spoken, more like a 2 way question and answer chat.
  • Reply 54 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

one that really lends itself to some killer ads.

There are already Android ads that depict nearly the same functions. Apple will really need to show the world their system is easier and better than Google's.
  • Reply 55 of 188
    Sooo. But the iPhone 6

I think......
  • Reply 56 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

I heard it'll have 1TB of storage and 1GB of RAM

MS-DOS 4.0 optional - includes a graphical/mouse interface.
  • Reply 57 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why do you suppose it would not be compatible with iPhone 4? Kind of risky to keep a system wide integrated feature out of the developer builds just as a wow factor presentation item.

Reportedly Apple claims the iPhone 4's hardware isn't robust enough to support the feature.
  • Reply 58 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

There are already Android ads that depict nearly the same functions. Apple will really need to show the world their system is easier and better than Google's.

No they won't. Few iOS users would jump ship to Android just for this feature, even if it was better. . . Which I don't think will be the case.

Apple's pretty good about making sure features are as complete as possible. They might not be first, but more often than not it's done right.
  • Reply 59 of 188
    Quote:

Reportedly Apple claims the iPhone 4's hardware isn't robust enough to support the feature.

Reportedly they want to sell more phones

I swear that my iPhone 3G runs slower than it did half a year ago and I have not done an iOS update. I dunno... Speaking of tinfoil hats....
  • Reply 60 of 188
    Quote:

Just like the A4 isn't good enough to support 1080p out, right.

Frigging Apple.

Yes, I know the complaints about bitrate and whatever, but when has Apple cared about anyone's content but their own? When iTunes gets 1080p movies, the bitrate will be so frigging low that the A4 could handle it easily. That's all that matters to them, so why not just activate support for OUR stuff now?