Sprint buys 30.5M iPhones from Apple for $20B in 'bet-the-company' move

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Wonder if Obama already has the new iPhone 5. He got the iPad early from Jobs.
  • Reply 22 of 180
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

At last, a carrier thinking outside their comfort zone. Nice marketing move.

Buying a bunch of product that is already pre-sold out the wazoo is "thinking outside their comfort zone?" Um, someone needs to take some businesses courses.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

If Sprint gets this then I will reluctantly go to sprint. I always thought AT&T had the best service ever. I really like my Iphone and will switch to have the new one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If true, it's probably the safest "bet" they've ever made.

True dat.

Also, they have the insider scoop - they know how many customers they lost to the iPhone. So they can do the predictive math quite reliably.

On the other hand, I can't see Apple making this a prolonged exclusivity.

Is this happening in other countries? Is China Mobile outbidding China Unicom?

Up until recently, foreign nationals (particularly from China) line up in US Apple Stores to purchase iProducts and bring them back to their home countries. Will Americans now line up in Canada (or elsewhere) to get their iP5?
  • Reply 24 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmcconnell1618 View Post

Maybe Sprint is getting the 4S models exclusively and Verizon and ATT get the iPhone 5

• Reply 25 of 180
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Wonder if Obama already has the new iPhone 5. He got the iPad early from Jobs.

According to his own words, Obama is totally clueless on technology.

In a commencement speech to students of Hampton University last May, Obama admitted to not knowing how to work Apple's iPod or iPad, or Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation game consoles. Obama had also referred to the devices as turning information into a "distraction, a diversion," and "a form of entertainment" that kept people from empowering themselves.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...#ixzz1ZklDVxmU
  • Reply 26 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"in order to keep the price people pay for the phone low and competitive with rivals, Sprint would be subsidizing the cost of each phone to the tune of about $500, which would take a long time to recoup even at the high monthly fees iPhone users pay."

Wow...and people wonder why the carriers charge so much. Needless to say, if this happens you can say buh-bye to unlimited data on Sprint.
  • Reply 27 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Typical Appleinsider news story

1. Read article on the web

2. Add a bit of context

3. Profit

Wish I thought of that first!

Nothing stopping you from doing it too. Of course that's not the only thing AI does. They do in-depth reviews and have an occasional scoop. Sure is better than MacDailyNews an all their pretentious crap.
  • Reply 28 of 180
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Wow...and people wonder why the carriers charge so much. Needless to say, if this happens you can say buh-bye to unlimited data on Sprint.

Perhaps but they will need to make some waves and give a lot o people a good reason to switch to Sprint. They will need to put some serious marketing muscle behind their investment, which is good for Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 180
    Well, the WSJ as well as Sprints cheif are now confirming the deal. It's a good deal for Apple's already flush bottom line but is good for the customer loyalty they so often benefit from? If Sprint is the only carrier this holiday season to get the new styalized iPhone body, then this becomes Apples long term problem. Tbose of us who have been always looking to Apple for fair treatment of their early adopters, will (and should) begin to question their integrity as a company.

They need to understand that we are no longer going to jump carrier just to follow their master marketing plan...whatever that may be! I won't switch from ATT as Sprint has given no indication that their unlimited enticement wont be history in a few months. At leaat ATT has been fair in that regard.

I hate telling my kids that they won't have the newest iPhone after making them wait patiently with their 3GS's for years! But se la' vie!

Apple may not have lost us as customers if this exclusivity proves true but they wlll have lost something even more valuable...our faith and confidense that they continue to appreciate us!
  • Reply 30 of 180
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Holy Crap Batman!
  • Reply 31 of 180
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    The bgr story is pretty cool!
  • Reply 32 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seattleinfo View Post

Well, the WSJ as well as Sprints cheif are now confirming the deal.

Where is the link showing Sprint has confirmed the deal?
  • Reply 33 of 180
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Some web sources are saying Sprint has exclusivity. I call BS on that.

It is ridiculously gonzo as an idea, and I can't believe anyone would even for a moment think Apple would make such a bizarro, dunderheaded move.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    Quote:

For this *rumor*, all so-called sources trace back to a WSJ article. WSJ tends to get accurate scoop when the 12th hour approaches. This also explains the pattern of *leaks* about 4S, to some extent.

On the other hand, is $30B enough to buy Apple?

I think you left this half thought half baked...

Quote:

I wonder if what Spring gets is an iPhone that looks different but otherwise has the same features and specs.

you obviously have learned nothing about apple branding. I'm surprised about the 3GS rumor. I can't see Apple have 9 SKUs out there

3GS

4White CDMA

4Black CDMA

4White GSM

4Black GSM

4SWhite (CDMA/GSM/HSPA+)

4SBlack (CDMA/GSM/HSPA+)

5White (CDMA/GSM/HSPA+)

5Black (CDMA/GSM/HSPA+)

I sense that the 3GS dies (until supplies runout) and the 4Whites die (same death).

Quote:

Or, perhaps, it's a limited period of exclusivity (say 6 months)

Or, other than for Apple retail, maybe they get priority for restocks. If sprint (and ATT) have all the phones after the first weekend, they get the exclusivity of supply.

It's that form of exclusivity that Apple has dominated in the chip/memory business... "I'll buy all mine 'upfront.' and when I say I want more, I get them drop shipped on time." Hesse/Sprint may have just committed to that sort of volume purchase. Considering they have committed to what... nearly 2M phones a quarter, I could see them getting their own 747 from Sao Paulo right into Sprint Fulfillment Center in KC, and after their plane (and apple's), then the rest of the US channels are fulfilled.
  • Reply 35 of 180
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Where is the link showing Sprint has confirmed the deal?

What?
  • Reply 36 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

What?

Proof. Tends to help when you're making an argument.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

At last, a carrier thinking outside their comfort zone. Nice marketing move.

I what way(s)?
  • Reply 38 of 180
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It is beyond stupid.
  • Reply 39 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It is, but .... According to them, Sprint would have exclusivity to Assistant. That is doubtful. Would Apple put their next great revolution (as some are touting it) in the hands of the 3rd carrier in the US alone?

Also, the spec division would have the 4S retaining the Retina Display and the iP5 getting a 4" screen (with lower than RD resolution). That's contrary to Apple's way of marketing.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Typical Appleinsider news story

1. Read article on the web

2. Add a bit of context

3. Profit

Wish I thought of that first!

They could add in the ZDNet approach and have six writers rewrite the same story six times.

Face it mate, this is media in the 21st century.