Sprint buys 30.5M iPhones from Apple for $20B in 'bet-the-company' move

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

According to his own words, Obama is totally clueless on technology.

In a commencement speech to students of Hampton University last May, Obama admitted to not knowing how to work Apple's iPod or iPad, or Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation game consoles. Obama had also referred to the devices as turning information into a "distraction, a diversion," and "a form of entertainment" that kept people from empowering themselves.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...#ixzz1ZklDVxmU

A strong case that technology is the new "bread and circuses" of the digital age. Can't see that he was too far off the mark.
  • Reply 42 of 180
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Personally I think it makes sense. LTE chip sets are not near being usable yet. The iPhone 5 may already be ready, except for LTE. Sprint has had WiMax for a long time now so their chipsets are more mature. So give Sprint exclusive iPhone 5 access for 6 months - that lets LTE chipsets mature and then give AT&T and Verizon an iPhone 5 with a more mature LTE chipset.

We already know there is no LTE iPhone coming until next year. So at best all this does is give Sprint a 4G iPhone sooner.
  • Reply 43 of 180
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Er… deal with it?

Until then, expect the same draconian plans, data caps, and throttling from every carrier the iPhone ever graces.

I agree with everything as typed. I'd also expect heftier connect/disconnect fees when that day comes. Right now, connect fees are wave a.k.a. rolled into the contract and paid over time.
  • Reply 44 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Sprint has had WiMax for a long time now so their chipsets are more mature.

No way would there be a WiMAX iPhone?
  • Reply 45 of 180
    Quote:

...agreed upfront to purchase 30.5 million iPhones over the next four years, a commitment of nearly $20 billion.

Mmmm.... who at Apple could have negotiated a deal like that?

...Wonder what kind of precedent it will set?
  • Reply 46 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Wonder if Obama already has the new iPhone 5. He got the iPad early from Jobs.

Doesn't Sarbanes-Oxley, legislation he supported, require he use a RIM-job?
  • Reply 47 of 180
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

It is, but .... According to them, Sprint would have exclusivity to Assistant. That is doubtful. Would Apple put their next great revolution (as some are touting it) in the hands of the 3rd carrier in the US alone?

It would be for just 3 months.

Quote:

Also, the spec division would have the 4S retaining the Retina Display and the iP5 getting a 4" screen (with lower than RD resolution). That's contrary to Apple's way of marketing.

Even if the pixel count remained the same (which I would expect), resolution would still be in the RD range - less than a 15% reduction in density along any one axis.
  • Reply 48 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

A strong case that technology is the new "bread and circuses" of the digital age. Can't see that he was too far off the mark.

If the case, we should see iPhone included in any new SS benefit.
  • Reply 49 of 180
    as a T-Mobile customer ... if Sprint has a good deal on the new iPhone AND unlimited data/phone ... I am going to jump. No way do I want to become a customer again of AT&T
  • Reply 50 of 180
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

It is, but .... According to them, Sprint would have exclusivity to Assistant. That is doubtful. Would Apple put their next great revolution (as some are touting it) in the hands of the 3rd carrier in the US alone?

Also, the spec division would have the 4S retaining the Retina Display and the iP5 getting a 4" screen (with lower than RD resolution). That's contrary to Apple's way of marketing.

Guys, there is nothing 'cool', 'smart' or 'savvy' about this. A move like this would be, if Apple actually did it, one of THE most idiotic business moves of the year if not decade. That said, it's just a dumb idea and a really bizarro story that somebody dreamed up. Just think about it. In order to believe this is true, one has to accept that:

1) Apple would spend the last 16 months developing a new and groundbreaking design, and then intentionally tie it to a carrier who represents < 18% of the subscriber market in the US, AND:

2) That Apple would do this just because that carrier promissed to buy 30.5 million phones over a four year period (just 7.6 million a year), DESPITE:

3) The fact that AT&T and Verizon sell about 24 million iPhones a year, which would be 116 million devices over the same four year period (as opposed to 30), and DESPITE:

4) The fact that it would immediately anger millions upon millions of customers who are currently locked into contracts with Verizon and / or AT&T but who would otherwise be eligible for early upgrades, and DESPITE:

5) The fact that it would massively alienate their current carrier partners.

It's just a stupid, STUPID story, with a capital 'S'.
  • Reply 51 of 180
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It would be for just 3 months.

Even if the pixel count remained the same (which I would expect), resolution would still be in the RD range - less than a 15% reduction in density along any one axis.

That depends on the definition. Apple's definition is iffy to begin with. Regardless, I don't completely disagree. According to this (http://bit.ly/rrKpCH), it will drop to 288 dpi, which is still quite good.

But what I find contrary to Apple marketing is making a customer choose between a larger screen or higher resolution. Apple rarely create dilemmas like that.
  • Reply 52 of 180
    30 million iPhones is really only 15 million customers. Every Sprint user will need to buy 2, one for voice, one for data, since CDMA can't do both at the same time.
  • Reply 53 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

as a T-Mobile customer ... if Sprint has a good deal on the new iPhone AND unlimited data/phone ... I am going to jump. No way do I want to become a customer again of AT&T

I expect them to follow the trend; keeping the unlimited long enough to get the first burst of customers signed. Then it'll go by the way side as it did with AT&T. . . then Verizon. I'd suspect my grandfathered plan will be killed one day by some legalize.
  • Reply 54 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

30 million iPhones is really only 15 million customers. Every Sprint user will need to buy 2, one for voice, one for data, since CDMA can't do both at the same time.

Perhaps not intentionally but you bring up a good point. Aren't dual mode CDMA/WiMAX able to do voice and data at the same time? Some Sprint customers are used to this functionality.
  • Reply 55 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Bloomberg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In other news, Verizon to acquire Sprint for $14 billion.

There, Adonis, your snark addressed.
  • Reply 55 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Guys, there is nothing 'cool', 'smart' or 'savvy' about this. A move like this would be, if Apple actually did it, one of THE most idiotic business moves of the year if not decade. That said, it's just a dumb idea and a really bizarro story that somebody dreamed up. Just think about it. In order to believe this is true, one has to accept that:

1) Apple would spend the last 16 months developing a new and groundbreaking design, and then intentionally tie it to a carrier who represents < 18% of the subscriber market in the US, AND:

2) That Apple would do this just because that carrier promissed to buy 30.5 million phones over a four year period (just 7.6 million a year), DESPITE:

3) The fact that AT&T and Verizon sell about 24 million iPhones a year, which would be 116 million devices over the same four period (as opposed to 30), and DESPITE:

4) The fact that it would immediately anger millions upon millions of customers who are currently locked into contracts with Verizon and / or AT&T but who would otherwise be eligible for early upgrades, and DESPITE:

I think there's fire behind this smoke. But I agree that I don't see Apple trusting their best technology in the shakiest pair of hands. The deal is likely a fact. The devil is in the details.
  • Reply 57 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Perhaps not intentionally but you bring up a good point. Aren't dual mode CDMA/WiMAX able to do voice and data at the same time? Some Sprint customers are used to this functionality.

So would dual-mode CDMA/LTE. The benefit there being the phone could be used on 4G networks that will exist in more than in twenty cities (ever) in one country of the phone's market.
  • Reply 58 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Doesn't Sarbanes-Oxley, legislation he supported, require he use a RIM-job?

He does have a BB, apparently one with beefed-up encryption.
  • Reply 59 of 180
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

I think there's fire behind this smoke. But I agree that I don't see Apple trusting their best technology in the shakiest pair of hands. The deal is likely a fact. The devil is in the details.

I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 60 of 180
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

3) The fact that AT&T and Verizon sell about 24 million iPhones a year, which would be 116 million devices over the same four year period (as opposed to 30), and DESPITE:

I agree with every point of logic and common sense you wrote....

BUT we will see tomorrow morning....but in the meantime Sprint's stock took a dive