• Reply 361 of 641
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Investors not impressed w iPhone 4S-

Dumping AAPL stock!

• Reply 362 of 641
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I was wondering yesterday whether Siri would support my Australian accent. Apparently so, from the iPhone 4S specs page:

Siri Languages

English (US, UK and Australian), French, German

That makes it a much better value purchase for me. I wonder if voice interface will take over from touchscreen for other features over time?

I think that once a cellphone reaches a certain size, that is comfortable to hold and not too heavy, the priority then becomes software features.
  • Reply 363 of 641
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

A flagship phone in 2011 without LTE or WiMAX capacity is BS!!!

2 years of contract to get 3G until end of 2013 is not worthy.

I live in south Florida and just got a Sprint and the WiMAX signal is perfect...

If you value higher cellular data rates over battery life, then you should buy the device with cellular higher data rates. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. However, Apple's eye is on the prize here: to sell as many devices as possible as profitable as possible using good integrated design that makes digital devices easier to use.

Is being the first person with, or first company selling, a phone with fastest data connection the most important thing about selling a phone? Nope. It's one of the factors, and Apple thinks it's weak factor. They have never supported next-gen networks first.

Does the population at large think it is important to have the fastest data network first? No I don't think so. Only a select few. Most people, the 90%, want to use a device with the least amount of friction as possible. That's why the iPhone changed the mobile world. With Siri, they are attempting to make it easier to use. I'm kind of skeptical, but I hope it works. If they do make it work, change people's habits and make it like Star Trek, then they have changed the world again. A faster wireless network and larger screen would not do this.

With all the internal and software changes, their message is that they are making it easier to use: the camera is marketed as taking great low light pictures (user enhancement), as being fast to take pictures with (user enhancement), as taking great image stabilized videos (user enhancement), as running apps faster, smoother, and better, iCloud makes your data available on all devices quickly (user enhancement), etc.
  • Reply 364 of 641
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    The Nexus Prime announcement is going to be very interesting indeed. The Nexus S is in some ways already superior to the 4S, but if the Nexus Prime rumours (yes I know, rumours are useless etc) are true - 4.5" 720p screen... Then I imagine it will tempt more than a few disappointed iPhone owners away, including me.
  • Reply 365 of 641
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree everyone should do what they feel best with.

The one thing I question with people who want larger screens. Is the understanding that a larger screen also needs a higher resolution. Otherwise you really getting fuzzier pictures and text on a larger screen.

When "Retina Display" came out, I remember press about how the resolution was actually higher than the human eye could discern, at normal reading distance (i.e., you'd have to use a magnifying glass to perceive the pixels). So if they made the screen 10% larger, I really doubt it would have appeared fuzzier to the user holding it at normal distance from the eye. But this is obviously an academic point, for now.
  • Reply 366 of 641
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Investors are a fickle group. Trust me, when they see how many of these Apple will sell over the course of the next year they'll push the stock to new highs. Definitely a good buying opportunity here.
  • Reply 367 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

I'm not buying one cause it doesn't have a microwave oven built in.

Apple never promised that it would have a microwave built in.
  • Reply 368 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Except the market closes at 4 PM, not 2 PM.

AAPL closed: $372.5 -2.10 -0.56%

Nice how you tried to construe the facts to fit your own agenda!
  • Reply 369 of 641
    It could be worse. You could have been like me wanting to upgrade from an iPod Touch 3rd generation to the 5th. I waited an entire year and was given....white.
  • Reply 370 of 641
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Did anyone notice that the standby time has dropped from 300 hours for the iPhone 4, to 200 hours for the iPhone 4s? I guess the 's' stands for suck, as in 'sucks the battery.' For me, not needing to recharge frequently is way more important than being able to have my phone take dictation...

and when Apple starts using voice features to sell updates... Anyone talking to their cellphone or their computer looks like a dork, and I'll leave it at that. Remember that 'my password is my voice' feature they added when OS 9 was getting long in the tooth? Yeah, me neither. \
  • Reply 371 of 641
    [QUOTE=Shrike;1956893Apple's eye is on the prize here: to sell as many devices as possible as profitable as possible [/QUOTE]

Kind of like when the champoinship winners won't hire the best players for the team the next year, because they know that they will sell out the stadium and make more money no matter what.
  • Reply 372 of 641
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree everyone should do what they feel best with.

The one thing I question with people who want larger screens. Is the understanding that a larger screen also needs a higher resolution. Otherwise you really getting fuzzier pictures and text on a larger screen.

As far as LTE. I question if people even know if LTE is available in their area, do they know the realistic speeds that are available, and is the reduced battery life something you can live with.

Virtually all of these super sized Android screens are lower resolution than the iPhone 4's small screen, but they look fine. The iPhone 4 res could easily handle another inch in screen size.

That said, the new high end Android stuff is full 1280x720 on a 4.5" screen, which must look pretty spectacular.
  • Reply 374 of 641
    amtwwgamtwwg Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Suddenly you went from owning one to using your co-workers as an example?

Anyhow, I could say the same about a professor of mine who asked me about why his iPhone 4 needed to be charged every few hours. He was in an area with a poor signal, which constantly puts a strain on the battery. Do I assume that every iPhone 4 has poor battery life because of this? No.

I'm glad you think they're big and ugly, since they're only MARGINALLY bigger than the iPhone 4 (I'd bet the total volume difference is less than a cubic inch). And I take better pictures with my Evo than you do with your iPhone? Want to compare anything else over the internet?

Either you're a fool with how you're taking care of your phone, or you're making this story up. I can promise you I charge my phone only when I go to bed despite the fact that I'm on it constantly throughout the day.

I'm no fool and I don't use my phone in any extraordinary way. In fact, just last night, I went to a concert, changed the battery before I left, knowing I'd never get through the evening without doing so and guess what, it didn't even last through the opening act. It was fully charged and I basically did nothing with it. I had 4g turned off, never have wifi turned in and the battery couldn't even get through an evening. And this is not a strange occurrence. So I'd say, based on my experience, you are an android apologist liar. Because poor battery life is all software. And the EVO can't touch the Iphone for battery life. ONLY you claim otherwise, not even HTC would make such an easily debunked claim.
  • Reply 375 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Isn't looking fine subjective. Someone who has trouble seeing words on the iPhone 4 would require a phone with high resolution not simply a larger screen to resolve the detail.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Virtually all of these super sized Android screens are lower resolution than the iPhone 4's small screen, but they look fine. The iPhone 4 res could easily handle another inch in screen size.

That said, the new high end Android stuff is full 1280x720 on a 4.5" screen, which must look pretty spectacular.

• Reply 376 of 641
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    This is going to be a nice upgrade to the 3GS i have. Can't wait. Perfect size, perfect software.
  • Reply 377 of 641
    Quote:

Only a fool predicts the unknowable future.

Oh sure... but you have no problem making snarky comments.
  • Reply 378 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Except the camera is better, the notifications are better, and the 4G is better (same speed, no drained battery).

And all of those other things you didn't mention because then the Evo would look like shit.

What is with people bashing the Evo today? Seriously, it's a great phone.

"Except the camera is better" It sure as hell better be. It had a year and half to improve. The Evo's camera is still nothing to scoff at though.

"the notifications are better" This comment is so misplaced and fanboy-ed I won't even give it a response.

"and the 4G is better (same speed, no drained battery)" Have you actually used HSPA+? It is no where near the promised speeds. I consistently get 7-8 Mbps down here in Columbus (Go Bucks!... ), while my roommate's T-Mobile Mytouch "4G" is lucky to hit 4-5.

Actually use a device before you bash it next time. Otherwise it makes you "look like shit."
  • Reply 379 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Really? I know two people here in the office with Evos and they're constantly charging them. One of them even changed the battery. Those things are big, ugly, the display looks faded out and despite the higher megapixel, the pictures look way inferior to the ones I take with the iPhone. Everything from color accuracy to shadows to fill light.....

I have a friend who sells mobile phones for a living and she says that her iPhone customers are way happier than her Android customers. Battery life, built quality and security are huge issues with the Android platform. She has a company paid Blackberry but her next phone is an iPhone.

Beauty is more than skin-deep.
  • Reply 380 of 641
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

Kind of like when the champoinship winners won't hire the best players for the team the next year, because they know that they will sell out the stadium and make more money no matter what.

No. If Apple hasn't produced a successful design, they will suffer for it. It's true in sports as well. (I live in Houston, and maybe you know the Oilers history here). Apple's developed a strong brand to withstand mistakes, as sports teams do, but if they continue to fail, they'll suffer for it. Apple was on the brink of going out of business in 1996-1997 after-all.

Really it boils down to "best overall experience" is a better market strategy then "best 'specs'". If you think the best best "specs" is the winning strategy, you don't know Apple. I put specs in quotes because in reality they are just a feature lists. Specifications could be anything from animation rate at 30 fps for all scrolling to the device shall be no more than 10 mm in thickness. And every company games these feature lists one way or the other: cell data service is not unlimited even though it is marketed as such, a device is not 9 mm thick when there are bumps 10 mm thick, battery life advertised at 8 hours should not be based on some hyper-optimum condition of no software load, lab perfect radio conditions, etc.

But I digress, Apple as company makes a choice for you on many things. They believe it produces a better product. Given this, what do you think serves the product, the company, better: LTE at 4 hrs battery life or CDMA at 8 hrs battery life? Which would you bet your billion dollar company on? Which would produce better user satisfaction?