Apple introduces AppleCare+ for iPhone covering accidental damage

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday introduced AppleCare+ for iPhone, a new extended warranty service that combines traditional tech support, software support, and hardware support with the addition of the company's first accidental damage plan.

Like the traditional $69 version of AppleCare for iPhone that it replaces, the new $99 AppleCare+ for iPhone extends an iPhone's repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date but also adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to an owner's poor handling of the device.

Each accidental damage incident is subject to a $49 service fee and is available only for the iPhone and its original included accessories. In turn, Apple promises that the replacement equipment it provides to customers taking advantage of the "may be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability" -- meaning either a new iPhone or a certified refurbished one.

AppleCare+ also bundles standard AppleCare features, such as software troubleshooting and telephone-based technical support, while also offering customers with repair needs the option for mail-in or carry-in repairs, and an express replacement service.

iPhones that exhibit defects in materials, workmanship or see their battery charge fall by 50 percent or more from original specification, remain eligible for a replacement from Apple at no cost under the new plan. Apple also notes that customers must purchased AppleCare+ together with their new iPhone, with the safest bet being to have both items appear on the same receipt (fine print).

For Apple, the new service marks the first time that company has offered accidental coverage for drops, spills, and other incidents caused by the owner. Previously, iPhone customers seeking full coverage of their device were left to seek out pricey third-party alternatives that sell for the same price or more.

Replacement costs for an out-of-contract iPhone can cost hundreds to replace new or $200 previously though Apple's Out-of-Warranty Service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    There are many anecdotal reports of Genius' really bending over backwards to make things right. There was even an email from an anonymous Genius read on MacBreak Weekly (TWIT) that laid out the unpublished (and even unwritten) rules they live by, including a 45-day grace period after the stock warranty runs out.

I wonder if this new insurance will change all that. Buy the new plus plan or no more Mr. Nice Guy.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Sold!!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Wonder if it will cover water damage
  • Reply 4 of 26
    squaretrade is still better.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    What about if it is lost or stolen?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Same cost as square trade, so how do you figure square trade is better?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therakker View Post

Wonder if it will cover water damage

yes. That is accidental damage

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

What about if it is lost or stolen?

Nope. It requires that you have a damaged phone to swap for the new one.

Note that it says that you have to buy this plan with the phone. no more of the 'waiting up to a year' like you can with the basis apple care.

And it is limited to two times that you can buy a reduced price service phone. Without it, you had to pay $199 for a service swap, each time.

As for the anecdotes you can bet that those were based on the good will of the genius you got. If you went in claiming the phone was a dud and yelling for a new one when in fact they find clear water damage, you won't get it. Double if you have gotten a freebie already. If you walked in and admitted with appropriate embarrassment that your kid dropped it in the tub, then you might maybe get someone that felt bad and pled your case with a manager to cover it. That one time. Or you might get a total jerk that gives you nothing

Under this plan you can walk in twice and just be frank with them and get out a lot cheaper. The cost of the plan plus two replacements is barely over $200 if you have to pay sales tax. Compared to the one replacement without it and you can get a service phone and definitely cheaper than the $449+ you'll pay if you have to buy a new retail phone
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Plans seem similar. I'd rather deal directly with Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Seems expensive. Compare it to accidental damage covered by your home insurance, these insurance plans for individual items always work out costing a lot more than generic insurance despite not offering anything extra.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Seems expensive. Compare it to accidental damage covered by your home insurance, these insurance plans for individual items always work out costing a lot more than generic insurance despite not offering anything extra.

Let's see. AT&T is $7 per month which is $168 over a 2 year period - plus there's a $200 deductible.

Apple is $69 with a $49 deductible.

They're not completely the same since AT&T covers loss and Apple doesn't, but it's hard to figure how you can look at those numbers and conclude that Apple's is expensive.

Accidental damage on your homeowner's insurance isn't even comparable. Most people have a $1000 deductible on their homeowner's - so an iPhone wouldn't be covered at all.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Can you still get a service/refurb replacement for $199? Could you walk in during the first year (and thus regular warranty coverage) and still get a swap if you had water damage etc? As long as Apple still allows a $199 swap you are looking at essentially $150 for your first iPhone swap (and a 2nd year of coverage) or $0 extra and a $199 swap only if you need it.

I'm figuring I'll be buying the AppleCare+ plan as I had my iPhone's insured through State Farm and my Personal Articles policy (covers any loss). Started at $30 but I guess they no longer insure them and my renew rates went up to $80.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. AT&T is $7 per month which is $168 over a 2 year period - plus there's a $200 deductible.

Apple is $69 with a $49 deductible.

They're not completely the same since AT&T covers loss and Apple doesn't, but it's hard to figure how you can look at those numbers and conclude that Apple's is expensive.

Accidental damage on your homeowner's insurance isn't even comparable. Most people have a $1000 deductible on their homeowner's - so an iPhone wouldn't be covered at all.

Nope. Its $99 with a $49 dollar deductible...
  • Reply 13 of 26
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Maybe I'm looking at this in a different view, but now I don't feel the need to have to get that not so attractive Otterbox brick to protect my phone and one that'll actually fit in a dock. It really opens up the market to me at-least. Bummer is I can't get this AC cheap on Ebay or wait 11 months.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member
    My daughter dropped her verizon iPhone it broke the glass on front but she could still use it, 2 months later when we had the money she went in to exchange it and they gave her a new one free. Also she took her MacBook pro in when the cpu died and she had a small dent in the top part of the monitor they didn't think the cpu would be under warranty because of the dent but they not only put in a new cpu but replaced the whole monitor part of the computer free and to top it all off she had a paper for her college class that she needed the next monday so they took all the data off the computer and put it on a firewire hard drive for her and they only charged her for the hard drive and no labor.That is a good company.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about loss or stolen

how do you handle that

so coverage to include damage, loss or stolen your suggestions
  • Reply 16 of 26
    ...available in Canada?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

My daughter dropped her verizon iPhone it broke the glass on front but she could still use it, 2 months later when we had the money she went in to exchange it and they gave her a new one free. Also she took her MacBook pro in when the cpu died and she had a small dent in the top part of the monitor they didn't think the cpu would be under warranty because of the dent but they not only put in a new cpu but replaced the whole monitor part of the computer free and to top it all off she had a paper for her college class that she needed the next monday so they took all the data off the computer and put it on a firewire hard drive for her and they only charged her for the hard drive and no labor.That is a good company.

Wow they replaced the whole monitor for free? I wonder if this courtesy is only offered in the U.S.? I had the same dent problem for my 6 months old 17" MBP but they wouldn't repair it for free here in Thailand.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what about loss or stolen

how do you handle that

You buy a new phone, price dependent on your contract status.

The old $199 was for swap only, this is for swap only. No loss or theft covered
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Plans seem similar. I'd rather deal directly with Apple.

Before Apple Care +, I'd agree. Apple Care + costs the same, plus you get the benefit of dealing directly with Apple AND getting tech support. I think Apple wins this one.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I think its a great plan. now only if they would let iPhone users unlock their phone after a 2 year contract I would be very happy. I'm tired of switching to my unlocked BB when i go to Europe just put in a local simm card.