Apple showcases iPhone 4S camera with high-resolution sample photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has added a collection of "unretouched photographs" taken by the new iPhone 4S to its website, highlighting the handset's new 8-megapixel next-generation shooter.



The iPhone 4S was unveiled early Tuesday at a media event hosted by Apple on its campus. The Cupertino, Calif., company is billing the iPhone 4S camera as a "you-can't-believe-it's-on-a-phone camera."



The rear-facing shooter on the just-announced smartphone now boasts 8-megapixels, 1080p HD video, a custom f2.4 lens, and an advanced hybrid IR filter. Apple claims the new illuminated sensor gets 73 percent more light than that of the iPhone 4 and is a third faster than its predecessor. The video camera function now features real-time video image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.



The photos posted to Apple's website are advertised as "unretouched photos taken using iPhone 4S." The images feature a resolution of 3264 x 2448.



In September, a photo surfaced that was allegedly taken on the Apple campus by an Apple engineer with the then unannounced iPhone 4S.



The 8-megapixel camera spec was one of the few consistent rumors ahead of the launch of the iPhone 4S. The sensor is believed to be the Omnivision OV8830. According to a report earlier this year, Omnivision will supply 90 percent of CMOS sensors for the device, while Sony is said to be furnishing the remaining 10 percent.



Click to see full-size.



Click to see full-size.



Click to see full-size.



Click to see full-size.



Click to see full-size.



Click to see full-size.



Click to see full-size.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 83
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    It's got the small-sensor mottling thing going and a bit of violet cast but, hey!, these are pretty much on par with a decent compact.. and stunning for a camera-phone!
  • Reply 2 of 83
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Those pictures were obviously cropped - how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,244member
    Nice. These are easily better than my chunky (then mid-range) Lumix circa 2007. Will be great to have a camera of this quality on me at all times.



    Do you think Apple staged the balloon flight or are these a selection of candid moments?
  • Reply 4 of 83
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Nice enough pics, but does nothing to diminish the fact that the iPhone4S is merely an incremental update to a near 16 month old handset.



    Those who truly desire great photo IQ already have nicer cameras with decent-sized sensors.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Nice enough pics, but does nothing to diminish the fact that the iPhone4S is merely an incremental update to a near 16 month old handset.



    Those who truly desire great photo IQ already have nicer cameras with decent-sized sensors.



    I missed reading your posts! Mostly the responses...



    You mean you're not going to buy 9 of the new phone?



    Did you get a Touchpad? I hear they're running a special right now!
  • Reply 6 of 83
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    I winder how fast this will drain the battery and use up storage- the current camera is both a energy and memory hog.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post


    how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.



    Well, I don't know how you would know or not.



    Do you possess the ability to read?



    iPhone 4S Photo Gallery

    View a collection of unretouched photographs taken using iPhone 4S. Click an image to see it larger.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Great little camera for what it is, but I won't be replacing my Canon 50D with it any time soon. When you know what to look for, there's no comparison to a real Digital SLR camera. With a lens that small, you can really lose sharpness (very noticeable at contrasting edges).



    It's a great camera for casual use, but when quality matters most, I'll be using a full sized lens.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twoslick View Post


    Great little camera for what it is, but I won't be replacing my Canon 50D with it any time soon. When you know what to look for, there's no comparison to a real Digital SLR camera. With a lens that small, you can really lose sharpness (very noticeable at contrasting edges).



    It's a great camera for casual use, but when quality matters most, I'll be using a full sized lens.



    I don't think anyone on stage today would argue with you. It's not expected to replace a DSLR.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Nice enough pics, but does nothing to diminish the fact that the iPhone4S is merely an incremental update to a near 16 month old handset.



    Those who truly desire great photo IQ already have nicer cameras with decent-sized sensors.



    I have a very nice camera with some very nice lenses. But I don't take it everywhere. Having a small camera handy is very necessary, especially when I'm carting the kids around and just really don't have the time or space to lug around the T2i with my f/2.8 70-200mm.



    In fact I bet if you ask most camera geeks, they own a range of cameras for different situations.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post


    I winder how fast this will drain the battery and use up storage- the current camera is both a energy and memory hog.



    Why are you here?
  • Reply 12 of 83
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Nice enough pics, but does nothing to diminish the fact that the iPhone4S is merely an incremental update to a near 16 month old handset.



    Those who truly desire great photo IQ already have nicer cameras with decent-sized sensors.



    Have you ever said an iPhone update was anything but incremental? By definition, all updates to everything are incremental. If they were no incremental, they would not be updates, they would be new products.



    The Galaxy Prime will be an incremental update. Good luck figuring out to what, there are like 11 S2 models.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Well, I don't know how you would know or not.



    Do you possess the ability to read?



    iPhone 4S Photo Gallery

    View a collection of unretouched photographs taken using iPhone 4S. Click an image to see it larger.




    That's not the aspect ratio my iPhone 4 camera takes- Can't you measure? Do you believe everything you read as gospel? Sacrosanct ?
  • Reply 14 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


    Have you ever said an iPhone update was anything but incremental? .



    The people using the word incremental are using it as a putdown, as in incremental meaning small.



    In the past, Apple would release a notebook and next year's model, instead of 1.8 Ghz, it would be 2.0 Ghz. Now that can be considered an incremental update.



    I would hardly consider going from a single core cpu to a dual core cpu, giving a device much faster performance and way faster GPU performance as being incremental.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post


    Nice. These are easily better than my chunky (then mid-range) Lumix circa 2007. Will be great to have a camera of this quality on me at all times.



    Do you think Apple staged the balloon flight or are these a selection of candid moments?



    They look pretty candid to me.



    Balloons are a pretty popular tourist attraction in Napa wine country. Pretty easy for an Apple engineer to grab a stealth snap from a vineyard.



    The second shot must be candid. The horizon is hilariously unlevel. Plus it looks like the vast majority of local beaches at sunset (crappy surf).



    The third shot is pretty nondescript, something like anyone might take. "Ooh, look, pretty flowers!"
  • Reply 16 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


    They look pretty candid to me.



    Balloons are a pretty popular tourist attraction in Napa wine country. Pretty easy for an Apple engineer to grab a stealth snap from a vineyard.



    The second shot must be candid. The horizon is hilariously unlevel. Plus it looks like the vast majority of local beaches at sunset (crappy surf).



    The third shot is pretty nondescript, something like anyone might take. "Ooh, look, pretty flowers!"



    I think the balloon shot was staged, not that there's any real problem with that. I say this because later in the presentation, wasn't there a video with scenes of people at the balloon?
  • Reply 17 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post


    That's not the aspect ratio my iPhone 4 camera takes- Can't you measure? Do you believe everything you read as gospel? Sacrosanct ?



    Hey retard, you wondered if the photos were photoshopped and I showed that they weren't. Maybe they are cropped, so what? They are not retouched, and that was what you were mistakingly hinting at when you were asking your dumb, trollish question.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Nice enough pics, but does nothing to diminish the fact that the iPhone4S is merely an incremental update to a near 16 month old handset.



    but it is a huge update to the average joe who actually fulfills his whole 2 year contract before replacing a phone.



    and a near magical starting point for those getting their first iPhone.



    And these are the folks Apple is targeting not constant naysayers like you for whom it is only great if it gives you what you think it 'must' have even if your demands are ridiculous
  • Reply 19 of 83
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


    Why are you here?



    Why do you live in Texas?
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Nokia N8 is still better.
Sign In or Register to comment.