Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain

Comments

• Reply 21 of 279
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Keeping the same shape doesn’t make it be “seen” that way by actual phone buyers, considering that the ancient 3GS design is the second-best selling smartphone!

Android, judging by the ads, is all about hype: 12-year-old macho robot fantasies, and bullet-point specs aimed to mislead.

What the iPhone delivers is substance—real talk time, real quality app selection, real reliable/secure operation, real automatic full backups, real media/music integration, real OS updates that the carriers/hardware makers can’t interfere with.

I’ll take that over “panache” please
  • Reply 22 of 279
    No matter how awesome the iPhone becomes, there will always be Apple haters out there who pick an Android or Windows 7 phone instead. I for one see the iPhone 4S as a great improvement. Part of the problem is rumors got our hopes up for an iPhone 5, and we had the nerve to act disappointed when we didn't get it. I don't remember Apple promising an iPhone 5 with a different form factor. Since when do predictions equate to promises directly from Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 279
    I don't know who Alex Gauna is, but obviously he is a douche bag simply trying to gain notoriety based on the recent release of the iPhone 4 S.

I'm not a fan of the recent release, but I'm not a douche bag looking to gain attention from it by releasing some lame opinion to the press either...
  • Reply 24 of 279
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delete View Post

Different case, Larger screen, NFC chip (along with the inside upgrades they made).

Actually I've read an article months back saying that Apple will be using Bluetooth 4.0 instead of NFC in the iPhone. It seems that that prediction was right.
  • Reply 25 of 279
  • Reply 26 of 279
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Panache?

PANACHE?

Ok, I've yet to hear the whiners say precisely what this release SHOULD have been.

Bigger screen?

Great, needlessly fracture developers into doing apps for a 4 inch screen that will be to small on the millions of devices already out there.

4G?

Right... more data charges for higher data use over a network that isn't even deployed yet.

Digital Wallet?

Again, show me more than a handful of retailers that offer that.

Teardrop shape?

Get serious.

Some people really need to get lives.
  • Reply 27 of 279
    nim81nim81 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

I have to say I as so sick of hearing all the crap flying around about this being the iPhone 4S and not the iPhone 5. If it was an iPhone 5 it would just be the same hardware with the iPhone 5 name, maybe with a slightly different form. Does that change how functional it is or what improvements there are. No. It's just moron hype and that is what has created the expectation problem. Morons.

I especially hate the 4G idiots. We all know 4G LTE is not fully rolled out and that phones with 4G LTE have short battery life. Apple was always going to wait for better chips and better coverage to roll this out. Yes we would all love the speed, but if the whole thing doesn't work is it worth anything.

There is my rant and I see the iPhone 4S as being a great upgrade for myself coming from an iPhone 3GS. If you have an iPhone 4, maybe not, but then again why waste money on an early upgrade in the first place.

+1. Loads of journalists seem to be conducting their reviews by looking at the spec sheet rather than the overall product/experience. It's like deciding you'd prefer a Hyundai over a Ferrari because it has bigger wheels and a faster top speed.

As for the look of the device, it's already a beautiful phone - you can't help but feel that some of those saying that Apple should have changed the design of the iPhone more are the same ones that were complaining about Facebook changing too much the other week...
  • Reply 28 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That is what people don't understand. So many argue about this being "the best" or that being "the best", but other than some freakazoids on internet forums, vanishingly small numbers of consumers care about the very best.

Tell me who sells more cars - Ferrari or Honda? Yeah, now tell me who sells more phones, the spec whores or Apple?

Apple knows that they do NOT have to be the best. They just need to be good enough. And the profits will roll in.

Simple as that.

Apple is number one smartphone seller in the world. So they do sell more smartphones than everyone else.
  • Reply 29 of 279
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Hardware isn't everything. Also, the psychology of critics is weird. Had there been a redesigned iPhone 5, it would have had the exact same guts as the iPhone 4S but with a different outer shell. If that's the case, what difference does it make if there had been a redesigned form factor?

The A5 processor is considered one of the fastest on the market. Infinity Blade said that they're able to do things on the iPhone that they can't do on any other device. Also, Siri is a very innovative feature. In fact, Siri was a spin-off from DARPA, aka US Department of Defense.

Another thing that people don't understand is that there is a lot that goes into making the hardware such as the outer casing. It has to be designed and tested extensively. Apple has over two years of experience with the current design.

It comes back to the same question: What difference would it have made if there had been an iPhone 5 instead of a 4S given the high likelihood of both having the same internals? It seems to me like it's all in people's heads.
  • Reply 30 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Analysts? Panache!?

It's Beer diluted with lemonade. At least where I live.
  • Reply 31 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Keeping the same shape doesn’t make it be “seen” that way by actual phone buyers, considering that the ancient 3GS design is the second-best selling smartphone!

Android, judging by the ads, is all about hype: 12-year-old macho robot fantasies, and bullet-point specs aimed to mislead.

What the iPhone delivers is substance—real talk time, real quality app selection, real reliable/secure operation, real automatic full backups, real media/music integration, real OS updates that the carriers/hardware makers can’t interfere with.

I’ll take that over “panache” please

The single feature that was keeping me from considering the 4S was rumors of a body redesign. I LOVE the iPhone 4's design.

Now it looks like I'll be ordering on Friday for the camera and processor.

Listen folks. 2007 was a game changer with the iPhone. So was the iPad.

We know you want dancing fairies every year, but that's not the real world.

Get used to it. For the forseeable future, this is the kind of upgrade you're going to be seeing. The stock will still kill because of sales, not RDF pixie dust.

The competitors will continue to throw features at the wall to see what sticks and use them in bullet point comparisons, but the bottom line remains the top-to-bottom integration and quality.

Maybe y'all should start DOING SOMTHING with your devices instead of just fetishizing them.
  • Reply 32 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Think further back. The reaction is EXACTLY THE REACTION TO THE 3GS.

I remember this because I purchased a 3gs.

And the 3GS is still being sold two years later and is the No. 2 best selling smartphone in the US. The 16 months old iPhone 4 is No 1. However, no matter what you will still find those who say...

Apple is Doomed™
  • Reply 33 of 279
    I think of this as a sandwich metaphor, where analysts and competitors are the baloney getting firmly squeezed between to pieces of bread (Apple products and the consumer).

By the way that brown stuff oozing out of their mouths is not mustard for sure
  • Reply 34 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How did Apple screw this up? They made literally almost everything about the phone better but they didn't change the design, which is itself quite impressive. Not to mention that they'll probably break sales records again when pre orders start in a few days.

Stock price doesn't usually go up with news. Investors are interested in the bottom line. So when sales jump and revenue comes in, then more investors see value in the company and they buy, driving the price up.

You would be a poor investor if you invested solely on news. Wait to see the numbers.
  • Reply 35 of 279
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I had assumed the Android competitor for the 4S would be the Galaxy2, but following a link this morning indicates a newer Nexus Prime is on the way to Verizon in a few days? With the subdued media reaction to Apple's 4S, I think the Nexus might get more attention than might be have been expected, including direct comparisons in the mainstream press.

http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_sa...-news-3224.php

IMO, Apple has left a small window of opportunity for competitors if they have a unique design and/or feature set. It doesn't look like MS will be one of those able to take advantage tho. They're taking sooo long to get their smartphone plans going.
  • Reply 36 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Stock price doesn't usually go up with news. Investors are interested in the bottom line. So when sales jump and revenue comes in, then more investors see value in the company and they buy, driving the price up.

You would be a poor investor if you invested solely on news. Wait to see the numbers.

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

Don't understand why people never learn this.
  • Reply 37 of 279
    It's just funny to see people who complain that the phone is missing this feature or that feature but when will they realize that Apple won't implement something until it works and works well. If this phone had NFC, how many places would you even be able to use it? If it had 4G, how many places would you be able to use it? They won't sacrifice practicality and ease of use to satisfy the tech spec freaks out there. Those people aren't the one who make Apple the most profitable company.
  • Reply 38 of 279
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Btw, the reaction here strongly reminds me of the reaction after the iPad 2...

And we saw how that turned out.

...and the 3GS

...the 3

...the latest iPod

...the nano

...the initial iPod

i wasn't here for the first release of OSX, was it like this?

How are all those working out?
  • Reply 39 of 279
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

I have to say I as so sick of hearing all the crap flying around about this being the iPhone 4S and not the iPhone 5. If it was an iPhone 5 it would just be the same hardware with the iPhone 5 name, maybe with a slightly different form. Does that change how functional it is or what improvements there are. No. It's just moron hype and that is what has created the expectation problem. Morons.

I especially hate the 4G idiots. We all know 4G LTE is not fully rolled out and that phones with 4G LTE have short battery life. Apple was always going to wait for better chips and better coverage to roll this out. Yes we would all love the speed, but if the whole thing doesn't work is it worth anything.

There is my rant and I see the iPhone 4S as being a great upgrade for myself coming from an iPhone 3GS. If you have an iPhone 4, maybe not, but then again why waste money on an early upgrade in the first place.

Spot on.

It's even worse than you suggest. In the UK, they haven't even started the bidding for the rights to the LTE bandwidths! It'll be years before we have an LTE network, but people still moan they don't have the antenna. 'Morons' in the right word.

This is a world phone now, and the hard reality is that LTE is not coming this year, or even next year, or even the year after that in many of Apple's core markets. It's a complete white elephant at the moment.

This isn't an earth-shattering update, but those days are gone. The iPhone 4 made the phone feature complete. From now on it'll be about more speed, better software and a few bells and whistles adding each year. People want Apple to reinvent the phone every summer, it's madness.

As for lacking 'panache', so do the launches from almost all tech products. Apple stood out in the past by having that panache. Without Steve Jobs, perhaps that's gone now but that doesn't make Apple's launch any worse than their competition's.

The only mistake Apple perhaps made here was unveiling iCloud in the summer. People aren't factoring that in to the new release. It's going to be hugely convenient for iOS users but because they heard about it months ago it isn't adding gloss to this release, as it may have otherwise done.

In the end, who cares? Most of us can see through the hype and see what a superb phone the iPhone is. I don't need it put on a turntable with a leggy blonde draped over it to make me buy it.

Will iPhone 4 users want to upgrade? Most of them won't, no. But Apple knew that because every iPhone 4 user is half way through a 2 year contract! The people upgrading to this will be 3GS users, who'll freak out when they see how fast this thing is compared to what they're used to. It may not be Optimus Prime, but it's a sensible update and sensible people can see that.
  • Reply 40 of 279
    That Analist should analyze where Android marketing budget in Sprint will go after the later made a 20 billion pledge to Apple