Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain

Comments

• Reply 81 of 279
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If it was called iPhone 5 and had a different form factor I think people wouldn't complain that much.

The big news though: Apple now DOES provide a low budget phone. The iPhone 3GS. For free, on contract.

This might be bigger than any new flag ship model announcement in terms of growth, if played right.
  • Reply 82 of 279
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

, then I suppose if a model came out tomorrow with a sleeker mmore exciting design, slightly larger screen and a low power LTE radio, you say why oh why did apple waste their money giving me that crap. I want a 16 month old design, a smaller screen and slow internet speeds for the next two years.

Let's face it, if the only thing Apple did was add Siri, and nothing else, you would have said, "IT's PERFECT. Who needs a A5 chip, the iphone 4 is fast enough. Who needs a better camera, the iPhone 4 camera is great."

Wow, selective outrage there.

You seem to think that bigger screen (and making apps designed for that useless on smaller screens), and LTE (for which there is no infrastructure and which will suck up our data plans) is the be-all, end-all.

And yet performance that will enable greater functionality is a waste of time?

And cameras are NEVER good enough. Going from phone as backup to phone as primary is a BIG deal.
  • Reply 83 of 279
    Hello boys and girls, been lurking around here for so long, but I had to register and vent today cos I've had enough of the iOS vs. Android argument :-)

If Apple licenced iOS to other manufacturers we would not be having this discussion. If Android were only available on the Nexus we wouldn't be having this argument. Bottom line is this... Apple has one range of phones, now with 3 models covering a range of costs and features. Android is run on scores of phones from different manufacturers, the whole iOS / Android market share thing is pointless. If iOS were run on more manufacturers it would have a far greater market share.

Apple are right in doing things the way they do. I'm not upset about there being no iPhone 5 announcement yesterday, I'm happy with my 4 and really just want iOS5. When the 5 does come out next year, I'm sure it'll be something better.
  • Reply 84 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That is what people don't understand. So many argue about this being "the best" or that being "the best", but other than some freakazoids on internet forums, vanishingly small numbers of consumers care about the very best.

Tell me who sells more cars - Ferrari or Honda? Yeah, now tell me who sells more phones, the spec whores or Apple?

Apple knows that they do NOT have to be the best. They just need to be good enough. And the profits will roll in.

Simple as that.

Amen. Just take a look at the ads for Android with the warrior lady ripping apart a robot for parts to make a 4G android phone. Then compare that to iPhone ads where they show people using the device with ease to complete everyday tasks. This is why Apple can relate to the customer. Average Joe and Jane, the ones who far out number whiny nerds are not interested in specs. Can I use it to do everyday things and the occasional complex task with ease? Can I get everything I need to extend the functionality of my phone (apps, music, movies, etc) in 1 place? And Apple answers, you can't put that on a spec sheet.
  • Reply 85 of 279
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I'd say it's a pretty decent hardware upgrade. If it was called iPhone 5 and had a different form factor I think people wouldn't complain that much.

But I think the biggest news in terms of aggressive competition against Android is that Apple now let carriers offer iPhone 3GS for "free". For everyone that missed it, Apple now DOES provide a low budget phone. And for all analysts that missed it, this might be bigger than any new flag ship model announcement. It might find its way into a lot more hands than any of the top offerings, if played right.

It's a distinct possibility that the 3GS already outsells the iPhone 4 at ATT.
  • Reply 86 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

It's amazing to me. If Apple had released the the exact same internals as the 4S but in a new form factor, everyone would have been happy (except those wanting a bigger screen).

This is all about looks, which is fine. But I think it's dingenous of people to call this a "minor" update or a spec bump. The ONLY thing that hasn't changed here is the case.

Here's another point-

SAMSUN GALAXY S

[]

SAMSUNG GALAXY S II

[]

Wow! So different! So where's the moral outrage on that one?

People are such hypocrites.

Your Galaxy comparison is lacking. It is quite different. Well, more so than IP4 vs 4S anyway. First of all the Galaxy S2 is larger than the S1, both form wise and screen wise (4.3-4.5" vs 4.0") but still managed to be a little bit lighter. The screen is also of a different kind (SAMOLED+ vs SAMOLED) with the former supposedly providing more clarity, more vibrant colors and less battery consumption. These along with significant internal upgrades, larger battery and better camera, and on some variants, LTE, NFC and soon to come, 720p SAMOLED+ HD screen providing retina-like resolutions.

I feel Apple would need to break its one phone a year model soon, given the Android onslaught. Apple still hold the software advantage though in terms of user-friendliness and lack of fragmentation, but for how much longer? More varieties and choices are good. I noticed a majority of people disappointed with the 4S just want a larger screen, not some awkward tear drop design. A lone 3.5 incher just doesn't cut it anymore.

As for me, I was hoping for an A5 iPod Touch with larger screen. Only to get an announcement of a white 2010 model. Now that's sad.

Galaxy S vs S2:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=3621

SAMOLED vs SAMOLED+

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Super...d-back_id18700
  • Reply 87 of 279
    ....this is an AWESOME upgrade!

If I were an iPhone 4 owner, I probably would not upgrade.

Will be picking up a black one for myself and a white one for my wife. Can't wait!
  • Reply 88 of 279
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I did, and to be truthful, I think some of the criticisms are valid on that point.

The first THIRD was devoted to self back-patting. That was a bit much.

The next section was a rehash of iOS 5 features we already knew about (and of course the new greeting cards app. My god... how did that get into a keynote?)

2 schmaltzy films, and finally a really good demo of the phone itself.

I suggest you compare this keynote to the last few. Then you will see only small variations in script.

They always do some back-patting, and have spent more time on this as Android has grown. The defensiveness is there, and has been there for a year or two now. They almost always tout some home-grown app or insignificant (to us) feature. In fact, Scot Forstall has always liked showing off features or apps with family pictures. Perhaps he is a photography buff?

Listen to the words used. Cook had the same speech writer that Jobs used. There is no question about it. The simplicity of the sentences, spiced with high wattage superlatives, is very much Jobsian. The difference is that it wasn't Jobs. Cook does not have the same gravitas, for he has not been an industry pioneer for 3 decades. So the same words would sound different.

Personally, I give Apple kudos for believing in their design so much that they trust it to lead the industry for another year. Who cares if the competition feels compelled to change its looks every few months. A leader does not have to follow.
  • Reply 89 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Off-topic...but it is crazy how much these two phones look like the 3Gs and iP4. If i were a judge, Samsung would be in big trouble.

It's a good thing you're not eh? Otherwise rounded rectangular PC monitors and TVs would be banned everywhere.
  • Reply 90 of 279
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    Excellent observations stelligent.
  • Reply 91 of 279
    I for one, am sort of disappointed. What was I expecting? I'm not sure. Innovation, I guess.

I have a 3GS. I love it. I have noticed it being a bit slower with iOS 4. My music did not skip on iOS 3. I would sort of like to use Facetime, but I have an iPad 2 for that. Yes, I would like a HD camera, the iPad 2 camera sucks in my opinion.

So why should I upgrade to a 4s? Siri doesnt really do it for me. Sure, an A5 would be nice. Im really holding out for iOS 5. Im mean, if the 3GS didnt run iOS 5, I would upgrade in a minute.

So $199 for an HD camera, a better display, and faster chip? I dont play games on the phone.

Im also stuck on the "S" upgrade cycle. If I upgrade now, it'll be 2 years before I can upgrade again. Say next year the real iPhone 5 comes out. I wont be able to upgrade without paying more. So I wait until the 5s?

Also, I was hoping for an upgraded Apple TV. I have a first gen Apple TV. Would like a 2nd, but dont want to buy one if a 3rd is coming out soon...which apparently it's not.

Im not a "hater" or whatever. I love my Apple products, would recommend them to anyone. Im just not sure it's worth it to upgrade right now. Meanwhile the specs on the Droid Bionic look really nice...too bad I hate Droids.

Btw..these are all first world problems.
  • Reply 92 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How did Apple screw this up? They made literally almost everything about the phone better but they didn't change the design, which is itself quite impressive. Not to mention that they'll probably break sales records again when pre orders start in a few days.

Apple will truly kick a** with this phone.

The Android market is beyond saturated. Lg, Samsung ect have put more crap on the market than the market needs.
  • Reply 93 of 279
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

I feel Apple would need to break its one phone a year model soon, given the Android onslaught.

Onslaught eh?

The cool thing about Apple is that it does not do what people think they need to do. They don't do market studies about what customers want. They don't do what's needed. They do what they think is the best.

They knew, like everyone else, a completely different look could have earned them more sales. Heck, even a slightly different look could have done it. They knew that fewer iP4 owners would upgrade by keeping the same design. But they resisted temptation to gain sales on the back of those customers. Instead, Apple is allowing them to feel good about what they have, and to make an upgrade decision based on meaningful features (better camera, Siri, etc.) rather than the superficial exterior. They're allowing accessory makers to keep making revenue off their own investments (moulds, tooling, etc.). Now that's an ecosystem that is sustainable.

Apple engineers and management believe in themselves, not pundits. And, to repeat, they don't do what's *needed*. They do what they think is the best according to their principles. They are willing to live or die by these principles. So cool. Yes Siri
  • Reply 94 of 279
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How did Apple screw this up? They made literally almost everything about the phone better but they didn't change the design, which is itself quite impressive. Not to mention that they'll probably break sales records again when pre orders start in a few days.

In this case Apple's secrecy has backfired on them. Everyone was expecting a new look iphone5 and came away disappointed.

Personally I don't quite understand what people were expecting. It's a phone, it probably needs to be rectangular and it needs to fit in my pocket. The 4s is all of that and is a pretty decent upgrade over the 4.
  • Reply 95 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Cook had the same speech writer that Jobs used. There is no question about it.

Wow, really? You're a genius, man!

I wonder if the CEO's secretary is the same too.....
  • Reply 96 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Apple neither raised nor lowered ANYONE's expectations over the past 1.5 years.

People who live on rumor lists did. Blame them, not Apple.

Not blaming anyone. However, when as a company you are extremely anal and very secretive, you breed these sorts of issues. It's not about blame, but perception and reality. Even if one looked at no rumor's or "analysts" one would wonder why a long term cycle was broken. Sans explanations people create expectations.

Ultimately, this will either hurt, benefit or be neutral to Apple's sales which is all that really matters.
  • Reply 97 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpokorny View Post

I for one, am sort of disappointed. What was I expecting? I'm not sure. Innovation, I guess.

I have a 3GS. I love it. I have noticed it being a bit slower with iOS 4. My music did not skip on iOS 3. I would sort of like to use Facetime, but I have an iPad 2 for that. Yes, I would like a HD camera, the iPad 2 camera sucks in my opinion.

So why should I upgrade to a 4s? Siri doesnt really do it for me. Sure, an A5 would be nice. Im really holding out for iOS 5. Im mean, if the 3GS didnt run iOS 5, I would upgrade in a minute.

So $199 for an HD camera, a better display, and faster chip? I dont play games on the phone.

Im also stuck on the "S" upgrade cycle. If I upgrade now, it'll be 2 years before I can upgrade again. Say next year the real iPhone 5 comes out. I wont be able to upgrade without paying more. So I wait until the 5s?

Also, I was hoping for an upgraded Apple TV. I have a first gen Apple TV. Would like a 2nd, but dont want to buy one if a 3rd is coming out soon...which apparently it's not.

Im not a "hater" or whatever. I love my Apple products, would recommend them to anyone. Im just not sure it's worth it to upgrade right now. Meanwhile the specs on the Droid Bionic look really nice...too bad I hate Droids.

Btw..these are all first world problems.

Go Droid (do your research before making a commitment). Get an iPod Touch. Best of both worlds.

And now, you can have people label you an iFan and a Fandroid, both at the same time!
  • Reply 98 of 279
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

I have to say I as so sick of hearing all the crap flying around about this being the iPhone 4S and not the iPhone 5. If it was an iPhone 5 it would just be the same hardware with the iPhone 5 name, maybe with a slightly different form. Does that change how functional it is or what improvements there are. No. It's just moron hype and that is what has created the expectation problem. Morons.

I especially hate the 4G idiots. We all know 4G LTE is not fully rolled out and that phones with 4G LTE have short battery life. Apple was always going to wait for better chips and better coverage to roll this out. Yes we would all love the speed, but if the whole thing doesn't work is it worth anything.

There is my rant and I see the iPhone 4S as being a great upgrade for myself coming from an iPhone 3GS. If you have an iPhone 4, maybe not, but then again why waste money on an early upgrade in the first place.

If Apple had delivered exactly this same hardware in a different form factor and called it the iPhone 5, 'analysts' would now be proclaiming that Apple would rule the industry. These guys are myopic - they don't generally know what they are talking about.
  • Reply 99 of 279
    In this slugfest a few things are being missed.

Firstly the 4S is an awesome phone but 6 months too late. If this was the Verizon phone in the spring of this year, then everyone would have been screaming what a great phone and update this is. However, Apple is late to the table, remember the Prime is being debuted next week, and the hardware specs will be as good and probably better than the 4S.

The bigger issue which every one has ignored is the timing of the next iPhone, the 4S is only an interim upgrade, if admittedly a good one.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, there are three possible scenarios.

Summer 2012. But this will screw all those that bought 4S phones, but please those with 4s, since they are just coming off contract.

Fall 2012. This would screw 4 owners, since they will be off contract by now, and we talking millions of people either upgrading to a 4S in the summer and seeing that phone become obsolete in a few months, or have to go on a month to month basis.

My question to all those iPhone 4 owners is are you happy to be on a month to month basis for 4 to 5 months?

Spring 2013. This is if Apple maintains a 16 month cycle. So no iPhone in 2012, is that realistic?

One final point, Apple is aiming for the Chinese market, Asia works in a different way, the 4S will be seen as last year's phone, it is not about the specs, but showing you have the latest gadget, so a design change was very important for the Chinese market.

In summary, the 4S is awesome, but 6 months too late, and it will screw up the owners of iPhone 4 phones.
  • Reply 100 of 279
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

I'm sticking with my iP3G until they sell phones that do not have glass backs, that do have curvy edges, and I don't care if the spec is unchanged internally. And if they persist with this current design type, I'll just keep my 3G until it breaks and then look around to see what other phones are available that suit my hand and eye better. Bricks are for houses, not phones.

Why do people have an aversion to the glass back? As an owner of a 3GS and a 4, I can safely say the 4 is MUCH more durable, and I've dropped it several dozen times, even on asphalt. My 3GS' case would often crack while in a case, and the whole thing would creak when I squeezed it.

Metal & Glass > Plastic