AT&T announces record 200,000 iPhone 4S pre-orders in first 12 hours

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    When I preordered the iP4 15 months ago, it arrived a day ahead of schedule. Same thing happened when the iPad 2 went to pre-order.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the biggest mystery of them all. Google is claiming 550k activations per day, and while they aren't forward about how many unique devices those are for Android fanatics assume they are all unique. So where are these devices being used? I see very few Android-based devices compared to the number of iPhones or even Blackberries.

Agreed. OTOH, where I happen to live, Macs rule. The coffee shop I go to, for instance, people are always working on Macs and using iPhones. Heck, it's an office for a lot people.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post

When I preordered the iP4 15 months ago, it arrived a day ahead of schedule. Same thing happened when the iPad 2 went to pre-order.

With carriers this time around, word of increased demand from at least one carrier, and evideńe to suggest they have been stock piling for over a month there package service may have to start two days early to get them all out by Friday.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    poke: "But really, if you accept that this is how Apple is going to do the antenna going forward and that they have no interest in making the display bigger,..."

Making the display bigger isn't silly at all. Some designs I've seen on the Internet where certainly more beautiful than Apples current iphone4 style, but perhaps not easy to implement. But i'am sure iPhone 5 will look a lot like it.

J.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

poke: "But really, if you accept that this is how Apple is going to do the antenna going forward and that they have no interest in making the display bigger,..."

Making the display bigger isn't silly at all. Some designs I've seen on the Internet where certainly more beautiful than Apples current iphone4 style, but perhaps not easy to implement. But i'am sure iPhone 5 will look a lot like it.

J.

As I understand it, the display needs to be a specific multiplier of what it is now, so that apps will be correct. Is this not true?

Anyways, I don't see the point in making a much larger display. If they had it side to side, that would be fine, but otherwise? The last thing I want is a phone that is larger than my shirt pocket.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandlesoft View Post

I wonder how much emotion is driving a bit of extra sales as a form of paying a sort of tribute to Steve. I know that I felt something tweak when ordering the iPhone 4s... here's raising my credit card to you one last time Mr Jobs sort of thing.

In retrospect, he probably knew what he was doing with the iPhone 4s. I'm personally happy that the form factor has settled down and that the quality dimensions are just being pushed further and further. Good luck on avoiding another MobileMe cloud disaster with iOS5 though!

It is interesting that I wrote in the Steve's tribute topic that this launch would be a record! I believe that it s a combination of a great product (even that the case redesign did not happen yet), technological is an amazing product, and in my case, I was going to wait for awhile, but after Steve's passing away, I feel the impulse to buy the 64 Iphone4s as part of a tribute to one of the most incredible visionaries of the 20th and 21th century...

George
  • Reply 67 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

As I understand it, the display needs to be a specific multiplier of what it is now, so that apps will be correct. Is this not true?

Anyways, I don't see the point in making a much larger display. If they had it side to side, that would be fine, but otherwise? The last thing I want is a phone that is larger than my shirt pocket.

Not entirely true. The display can be any size Apple wants to make it. However, to keep thinks simple for the developers, the screen resolution should be kept the same or a simple multiple of the current resolution.

Quote:

J.

What does the size have to do with "more beautiful"? Any design could be made in any size (within limits). If you see a 'beautiful' design on the Internet, why couldn't that same design be made with 3.5" screen?

The limiting factor is usability. A bigger screen makes the phone larger and bulkier. A smaller phone is easier to put in your pocket, but if it's too small, it can be hard to read and use. A larger screen (everything else being equal) would be easier to read and use, but at some point it becomes too large to be conveniently slipped into a pocket and clumsy to hold.

Clearly, a 2" screen is too small for an iPhone-like smart phone. A 7" screen is probably too large. There's no clear definition of where the dividing line is (in fact, there's no 'dividing line'. As the screen becomes larger, more people find it cumbersome, but the number who find it useful probably never drops to zero). Personally, I suspect that the cutoff is somewhere around 4" - which is probably the largest screen that can be put into the current size iPhone. If the phone were much bigger than its current size, it starts becoming cumbersome very quickly - particularly for people with smaller hands.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Speaking of NFC chips... Isn't that what the "me toos"are implementing? So what did Apple do instead? They went with Bluetooth 4.0 for the iPhone 4S.

What are the benefits:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...oes-it-matter/

That's why I love these guys - they're 10 steps ahead of the competition.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not entirely true. The display can be any size Apple wants to make it. However, to keep thinks simple for the developers, the screen resolution should be kept the same or a simple multiple of the current resolution..

Yeah, that's what I was trying to (incompetently) say.

I've been awake for far too long.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:

That's not the case, it isn't a law of nature, but it does make things easier for developers.

But the point is that the pixels are scaled up proportionally, so you keep the same amount of pixels.

And yes, the idea is to make the display almost from side to side. This is of course a technical challenge but maybe not impossible for Apple to do.

J.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What does the size have to do with "more beautiful"? Any design could be made in any size (within limits). If you see a 'beautiful' design on the Internet, why couldn't that same design be made with 3.5" screen?.

You ask me, I didn't say so. But no size and beauty is not necessarily linked.

J.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

They could make the display larger but keep the resolution the same, making everything on screen physically larger. Interestingly, standard iOS controls display larger (in terms of physical dimensions) on the iPad than on the iPhone. Presumably they could make the iPhone display large enough that controls on the iPhone would physically match the dimensions of controls on the iPad without compromising usability (since they work fine at that size on the iPad). The only problem with a larger display is that it's more difficult to use one-handed and if they go too large at the same resolution they might lose the "retina display" effect. There's probably space between 3.5" and 4" that Apple could explore but I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that they're going to do so. Personally I'd love a larger display if the phone stayed the same size though.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    Quote:

That's not the case, it isn't a law of nature, but it does make things easier for developers.

But the point is that the pixels are scaled up proportionally, so you keep the same amount of pixels.

And yes, the idea is to make the display almost from side to side. This is of course a technical challenge but maybe not impossible for Apple to do.

J.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

They could make the display larger but keep the resolution the same, making everything on screen physically larger. Interestingly, standard iOS controls display larger (in terms of physical dimensions) on the iPad than on the iPhone. Presumably they could make the iPhone display large enough that controls on the iPhone would physically match the dimensions of controls on the iPad without compromising usability (since they work fine at that size on the iPad). The only problem with a larger display is that it's more difficult to use one-handed and if they go too large at the same resolution they might lose the "retina display" effect. There's probably space between 3.5" and 4" that Apple could explore but I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that they're going to do so. Personally I'd love a larger display if the phone stayed the same size though.

Yeah, I just had a stupid moment.

But I personally don't want a larger phone. If, as discussed, the display was larger with the same-sized phone, that would be great. But then you've got to get the resolution right, and hopefully keep the same density.

A guy behind me in line at the store today had an HTC Evo, and it looked nice. The display was sharp. But it looked a little big to me. Funny enough, he said that if the iPhone were on Sprint, he'd have gotten one. The lady in front of me said, "It is on Sprint. You can't get one til Friday, though." He looked kind of bummed out, since he had just gotten his Evo a month ago.

It really drove home, though, the fact that the vast majority of consumers are not AI readers, or tech site readers, or anything close. I read a lot of comic book sites, and have for years. And you see the same sort of echo chamber reactions to things there as you do on tech sites. But when it comes down to the consumer, whether of a new iPhone or a new Batman comic, the reality of their reaction is so different than what is going on in the echo chamber.

Not that that had anything to do with what we were discussing. It just occurred to me.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Apple being Apple I think they would optimize for any change to the display so such a decision wouldn't happen simply to play "me too" with other devices. That said, going to a 4" 960x720 display would keep the PPI at 300, which is within feasible Retina Display specs. If they also use less of a border around the display (and make the device thinner so your hand can cup the device more) you could still get a full sweep of the thumb with one-handed use, as stated previously. I think you just need 1/8th of an inch less casing on each side of the display.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not me but AAPL should be through the firkin' roof ... \

If the market had already returned to normalcy, AAPL would be more shorted than ever. I remember the insanity surrounding AAPL prior to the latest recession/depression.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Apple being Apple I think they would optimize for any change to the display so such a decision wouldn't happen simply to play "me too" with other devices. That said, going to a 4" 960x720 display would keep the PPI at 300, which is within feasible Retina Display specs. If they also use less of a border around the display (and make the device thinner so your hand can cup the device more) you could still get a full sweep of the thumb with one-handed use, as stated previously. I think you just need 1/8th of an inch less casing on each side of the display.
    ]

Yeah, but what's the battery life on that Galaxy S phone?
  • Reply 77 of 86
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Be careful what you wish for...
    Now add nearly a half inch more on the diagonal for the Nexus Prime.

I believe iPhone's screen can be made larger without changing the form factor. There is just too much real estate wasted at the top and the bottom.

And this could be done even by keeping all applications compatible just by adding extra top and bottom bars. For example, the extra top space could be used for notifications, signal strength, battery life, etc. And the extra bottom space could be used for multitasking gestures, favorite app list, most recently used apps, etc.

Old apps running in "compatibility mode" would only occupy screen space between the extra bars. Safari, Video player, and all new apps written specifically for the new screen could utilize an entire screen area.

And everyone would be happy: old apps would still work, iPod accessories would still work, new full-screen apps would bee awesome, browsing would be more fun, and video would support HD.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, but what's the battery life on that Galaxy S phone?

Not so great if you want to use it for web browsing. For making calls it looks pretty good but if that is your primary need I'd just get something smaller and more convenient.
    Also, check the previous page where it compares the GPU performance of the 7 month old A5 in the iPad which is now in the iPhone. It's funny how Apple's is no longer just about having the nicest looking kit and more refined UI, but also the fastest HW and lowest prices. Oh how times change.

The whole review is great. You see some excellent additions, including what we can expect from the iPhone 4S on AT&T, and you see some really poor ideas. Overall I'd say it's good choice for those that want Android plus a really big phone. I'm certainly not one of them.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    Quote:

Good read but Stephen Fry has the most comprehensive and, IMO, best article on Jobs.

Nice. Thanks.
  • Reply 80 of 86
    I want to see the numbers for Verizon and also for Sprint. I'm also interested in just how many AT&T lost. I've been a customer since 2007 and this was the first time I didn't get a discounted upgrade price. I had to wait until Dec. So I did what I've wanted to do since early this year and switched to Verizon ( I came from Verizon when iphone came out). I also personally know at least 5 other people that have done the same. I know all carriers screwed people wanted to upgrade but you figure AT&T having long time customers would have offered all the same price.