First Look: Using iPhone 4S with Siri voice assistant

Comments

• Reply 181 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woffles View Post

I'm pretty sure "all" of the data is shipped off to servers for processing. Siri does absolutely nothing without a connection. What "significant" audio processing do you think is done on the phone itself? (serious question) I seriously would like answers and not the usual put downs that happen in these threads.

I appreciate your questioning. It's a sign that your mind is functioning and I appreciate it.

Think, however, about how many different ways the "Siri" algorithm can be partitioned between phone and back-end servers, and what's best for the sake of latency, not to mention privacy.
  • Reply 182 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's correct. Vista was an alpha. HIYO!

All joking aside, your points are incredibly valid.

Re: Vista. Good one!

Facebook would've gone up in flames if they had 100 million users on day one of a major service. Oh wait! Facebook, Twitter, Google Search, Google Buzz, Google Voice and many other services blew up with FAR fewer (generally under 1 million users) on day one.

A new, unproven data architecture. A new, unproven data center. A new, unproven compute share model with various other companies. A new technology overall (the Siri algorithm). A new phone. Far more data to move than mere text or web pages. Multiple carriers. A new OS release. No clue whether their colocation centers would be able to handle all the traffic, or if their switches or servers or third-party software could handle the strain. No clue whether the code would scale properly.

Oh yeah. I know! Let's beta test with 100 million users so that we can take the world's most successful corporation and trash it like some tiny startup would do!

Just think for a moment about the level of accomplishment this is. It's akin to sending up the first Space Shuttle and bringing the astronauts back home safely.
  • Reply 183 of 219
    Quote:

True, but why screw your current customers? I can see the iPhone 3 not being supported but I'm still on an iPhone 4. Just don't have the little S.

Just gets old and they aren't the only company doing it. As for Siri, it's still a server side application which was improved. I doubt there was a lot done on the phone side. It's just a front end which doesn't do any of the heavy lifting. I could run a Cray from my phone with a simple interface.

I just don't understand this line of thinking. How are you "being screwed"? Didn't you purchase a phone for a caertain amount of money with a particular feature set at that time because you thought it represented a good value? Does your phone continue to have those features (plus more)?

Why do people feel entitled to new features? Did Apple (or anyone else) sell your phone to you under the pretense that you would get a voice activated personal assistant in a year? No. You bought the phone with the capabilities it had then (and it continues o have to this day).

As for the idea that "they are the only company doing that" that is absolute BS. There are millions of android phones out there that have been orphaned without OS upgrades. When MS switched to windows phone 7 it orphaned millions of windows mobile users. Technology progresses... be happy with what you have or work hard and save to get something better

Personally I've been on a 3G (non S!) since it came out. Sure, I would have loved to have some newer features (and I did get a tons of new features while I owned the phone) but I didn't begrudge Apple. My phone continued to work until I had enough money and wanted to snag a newer phone.

You got quite a bit for free with ios5... why all the animosity over something you never paid for nor were promised?
  • Reply 184 of 219
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Can someone with a 4S test the following for me?

"Strewth Siri, you're a beaut bonza sheila, but can you tell me the best snag to chuck on me barbie?"
  • Reply 185 of 219
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post

I could care less if there were billions of new devices immediately accessing the Siri server my point is Apple should have planned for this. This is the 5th iPhone launch now and they STILL cant get it right ?! I have had each model and EVERY time its a nightmare ! I feel that Apple had MORE than enough time ( considering the phone didn't launch till Oct. ) to prepare for what they should have assumed would be a very successful launch! In this article I was trying to say that my partners works just fine, he was able to make routes, alarms and all no problems. We activated our phones at the same time and my experience was different than his! His Siri works very well, mine can't seem to connect to the network STILL! Kinks should have been expected and compensated for before the launch of this new phone and integrated app!

Looks to me like either your phone or the phone's user is the problem.
  • Reply 186 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Can someone with a 4S test the following for me?

"Strewth Siri, you're a beaut bonza sheila, but can you tell me the best snag to chuck on me barbie?"

Siri only supports English and a few other languages at this time.
  • Reply 187 of 219
    Quote:

It's on a production phone. Who cares about Woz? I actually care about the user community as a whole instead of trying to score little points on threads like this. Hope you feel better about yourself putting me in my place! Not. Next.

i certainly can't put you in your place -- that's all your doing, and your responsibility.

Woz spent time -- something more valuable to him than money.

Again, you seem unable to understand that Siri is a beta. It is to Apple's (and ultimately, the user community's) advantage for this beta to be conducted as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Apple started this weekend with 4 million beta testers -- likely 25 million through December.

If Apple has difficnulty correcting the server issues -- it wouldn't be too surprising if Apple were to restrict the beta to the US and to the first, say, 10 million iPhone 4S handsets -- or those activated, say, before December 1.

You see, or should, that Apple is prepared to (and knows how to) satisfy the most users -- at the inconvenience of the few.
  • Reply 188 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

i just don't understand this line of thinking. How are you "being screwed"? Didn't you purchase a phone for a caertain amount of money with a particular feature set at that time because you thought it represented a good value? Does your phone continue to have those features (plus more)?

Why do people feel entitled to new features? Did apple (or anyone else) sell your phone to you under the pretense that you would get a voice activated personal assistant in a year? No. You bought the phone with the capabilities it had then (and it continues o have to this day).

As for the idea that "they are the only company doing that" that is absolute bs. There are millions of android phones out there that have been orphaned without os upgrades. When ms switched to windows phone 7 it orphaned millions of windows mobile users. Technology progresses... Be happy with what you have or work hard and save to get something better

personally i've been on a 3g (non s!) since it came out. Sure, i would have loved to have some newer features (and i did get a tons of new features while i owned the phone) but i didn't begrudge apple. My phone continued to work until i had enough money and wanted to snag a newer phone.

You got quite a bit for free with ios5... Why all the animosity over something you never paid for nor were promised?

+++ qft
  • Reply 189 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

It's amazing that nobody considers

(a) Apple would need to charge for the Siri app...remember FaceTime??? It's a pretty serious accounting issue since they've already booked the revenue for the 3gs and 4 models.

(b) Nobody, not even Microsoft, has ever done a 100 million user beta. Nobody could ever sanely predict that everything is in place to handle that kind of traffic. You can't emulate 100 million users.

(c) Even with the few problems Siri has now, they're getting slammed, why would they want to multiply that by, literally, 50?

(d) There are certain license fees that must be paid per device. Not all the technology involved in Siri is Apple-developed. Again, this is a huge accounting issue. Let's say that the license fees add up to, i dunno, $3.44 per phone. If Apple opens Siri to ALL iDevices, that's a lot of money!

(e) Finally, there's a bit more going on with the device itself. A lot of the data is shipped off to the servers for processing, but there's significant audio processing and factoring that happens on the phone as well. Yes, they could let it run crippled on the 3gs and 4, but suddenly their "triumph" would become "a feature that 100 million people are complaining about.

Seriously, Apple is not hell-bent on taking your money and forcing you to upgrade to a 4s. They'll get you on the iPhone 5, and they already can't make enough iPhones, iPads or MacBook Air's. If they could reasonably do it for "good will" or to make the competition look inferior they would. Think... "Why would I buy an Android or Mango when even a 3gs has Siri?"

Finally a voice of reason!

Seriously, no company on earth has ever attempted something as ambitious as getting over 100 million customers worldwide to not only update their devices but get new firmware, software, apps AND icloud all at once.

I will say -- Apple, it's your own fault for some of the blow back. Personally, I got my updates on my ipad and iphone fine -- but Im a tech head. I knew when I was doing mine and seeing words like "restore" and "back up" etc with no real clear instructions or photos of steps your update would go through that in fact many many people would just believe they lost their data etc and that's what's happened lol! I knew people that literally pulled the plug on the process for fear they lost it all....

I would have waited on iCloud. That added such drama to an already HUGE update situation. I woulda rolled out iCloud in a couple of weeks after some of the dust settled with the new on-sale and added carrier drama.

I will say it seems Apple is still standing after this insanity and people like me are LOVING my new 4s. It is a nice piece of machinery period. The added features really give this phone a very sophisticated vibe, everything just seems so well put together. iMessage is the final death nail for Blackberry for sure.

Needless to say -- this is important! Apple scored HUGE with the 4s. They are saving a ton on this phone in many ways not to mention they now have inventory control for ONE DEVICE instead of two or three -- carrier wise. That will save on production, distribution, marketing, retail etc. Plus this phone apparently is cheaper because of lower price points on it's components. All around this iphone 4s is going to be Apple's biggest winner to date, you'll see. If you have one you know what Im talking about. Im really impressed.
  • Reply 190 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

I just don't understand this line of thinking. How are you "being screwed"? Didn't you purchase a phone for a caertain amount of money with a particular feature set at that time because you thought it represented a good value? Does your phone continue to have those features (plus more)?

Why do people feel entitled to new features? Did Apple (or anyone else) sell your phone to you under the pretense that you would get a voice activated personal assistant in a year? No. You bought the phone with the capabilities it had then (and it continues o have to this day).

As for the idea that "they are the only company doing that" that is absolute BS. There are millions of android phones out there that have been orphaned without OS upgrades. When MS switched to windows phone 7 it orphaned millions of windows mobile users. Technology progresses... be happy with what you have or work hard and save to get something better

Personally I've been on a 3G (non S!) since it came out. Sure, I would have loved to have some newer features (and I did get a tons of new features while I owned the phone) but I didn't begrudge Apple. My phone continued to work until I had enough money and wanted to snag a newer phone.

You got quite a bit for free with ios5... why all the animosity over something you never paid for nor were promised?

Agreed. Who said any of us are "owed" anything? I mean who would make any fricking money if a company just wanted to placate cry baby's all day.. I bet this guy was one of the shrill's moaning how Apple screwed everybody by not releasing a true new 5 Model...

Um, here's some food for thought. I had a Iphone 4. I sold it on ebay on Wednesday last week. Guess how much??? $377! Tell me how many fricking devices you've bought in your fricking lifetime that have APPRECIATED value in a year and a half. Name any?? Right, you can't. (Limited to tech devices).. If anything "I" feel I OWE Apple for PROTECTING MY ASSET ..... Obviously their strategies have worked IN OUR BENEFIT, DOH! What in hell are people thinking here?

WTF would I think Apple "owed" me or anybody else anything when I was able to SELL my old phone AT A PROFIT and buy me a new iphone 4s because "I" wanted to.. Get it?

iOS 5 on iphone 4 was a HUGE fricking upgrade. You just got a brand new phone, basically, Doh!!!!!!
  • Reply 191 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Agreed. Who said any of us are "owed" anything? I mean who would make any fricking money if a company just wanted to placate cry baby's all day.. I bet this guy was one of the shrill's moaning how Apple screwed everybody by not releasing a true new 5 Model...

Um, here's some food for thought. I had a Iphone 4. I sold it on ebay on Wednesday last week. Guess how much??? $377! Tell me how many fricking devices you've bought in your fricking lifetime that have APPRECIATED value in a year and a half. Name any?? Right, you can't. (Limited to tech devices).. If anything "I" feel I OWE Apple for PROTECTING MY ASSET ..... Obviously their strategies have worked IN OUR BENEFIT, DOH! What in hell are people thinking here?

WTF would I think Apple "owed" me or anybody else anything when I was able to SELL my old phone AT A PROFIT and buy me a new iphone 4s because "I" wanted to.. Get it?

iOS 5 on iphone 4 was a HUGE fricking upgrade. You just got a brand new phone, basically, Doh!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I'm just a little shrill whatever that is. Let's see. Bought an iPhone through Verizon. Was promised by Apple I believe that they would stay the same across the board. Was lied to basically. Bought it expecting 4.3 upgrade. Never showed up. Spent the better part of a year waiting till this upgrade finally came out. Hmm, guess that was somehow my fault? What a moron I was for believing Apple and Verizon, huh? I really only wanted one feature from that upgrade. The ability to play my videos straight to my Apple TV, the reason I bought that also. No apology, no sorry it took so long? The Apple shrills will defend them though not realizing they are approving companies to screw the common public. Really? Wow.

Ooh, it's a whole new phone. Look, alerts! Welcome to 2008. iMessage, actually cool. Reminders, worthless without Siri. Twitter??? Ooh I can now enhance my photos. Oh, wait. I could already do that. Better Safari, let me run to that flash site now. Just kidding, it would cut into Apples profits. Calendar is still lame, use Week Cal myself. Air play mirroring, wrong again. That was the "only" update I actually wanted. Could care less about the rest. I'd like to use my iPad or iPhone for presentations but the creators of Air Play can't even put it into their own software. Lame.

Really guys. It's just a phone. I've only wanted two features added so far. One finally got here what 7 or 8 months later. The other one Apple won't let you have unless you buy a new phone, even though my phone is still pretty much new and I paid money for the software waiting to get the upgrade. Fact is the iPhone really only stands on the strength of its apps. Otherwise I would have stuck with Android. It's just annoying when you are looking to gain one whole feature and they block it so you can't get it on your current phone. Anyone here seriously think the iPhone 4 can't do a simple slide show over Airplay? Marketing are @ssholes.

Wow, you sold a $600 dollar phone for $377? You must be a genius at business! That's a joke, don't get your panties in a wad.

Are we having fun yet? Oh, for any of you that don't think Apple "owes" you anything. Who the heck do you think makes them possible? It's you, not them. Your hard earned dollars built Apple. They didn't do it on their own. Course with Apple, the customer is never right. Sad way to run a business. Makes Microsoft look nice.
  • Reply 192 of 219
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Oh yeah, I'm just a little shrill whatever that is. Let's see. Bought an iPhone through Verizon. Was promised by Apple I believe that they would stay the same across the board. Was lied to basically. Bought it expecting 4.3 upgrade. Never showed up. Spent the better part of a year waiting till this upgrade finally came out. Hmm, guess that was somehow my fault? What a moron I was for believing Apple and Verizon, huh? I really only wanted one feature from that upgrade. The ability to play my videos straight to my Apple TV, the reason I bought that also. No apology, no sorry it took so long? The Apple shrills will defend them though not realizing they are approving companies to screw the common public. Really? Wow.

Ooh, it's a whole new phone. Look, alerts! Welcome to 2008. iMessage, actually cool. Reminders, worthless without Siri. Twitter??? Ooh I can now enhance my photos. Oh, wait. I could already do that. Better Safari, let me run to that flash site now. Just kidding, it would cut into Apples profits. Calendar is still lame, use Week Cal myself. Air play mirroring, wrong again. That was the "only" update I actually wanted. Could care less about the rest. I'd like to use my iPad or iPhone for presentations but the creators of Air Play can't even put it into their own software. Lame.

Really guys. It's just a phone. I've only wanted two features added so far. One finally got here what 7 or 8 months later. The other one Apple won't let you have unless you buy a new phone, even though my phone is still pretty much new and I paid money for the software waiting to get the upgrade. Fact is the iPhone really only stands on the strength of its apps. Otherwise I would have stuck with Android. It's just annoying when you are looking to gain one whole feature and they block it so you can't get it on your current phone. Anyone here seriously think the iPhone 4 can't do a simple slide show over Airplay? Marketing are @ssholes.

Wow, you sold a $600 dollar phone for $377? You must be a genius at business! That's a joke, don't get your panties in a wad.

Are we having fun yet? Oh, for any of you that don't think Apple "owes" you anything. Who the heck do you think makes them possible? It's you, not them. Your hard earned dollars built Apple. They didn't do it on their own. Course with Apple, the customer is never right. Sad way to run a business. Makes Microsoft look nice.

I didn't see anything in your list that Apple promised and didn't deliver. Have you considered that your expectations were, perhaps, entirely of your own making?
  • Reply 193 of 219
    Quote:

Caveat emptor.
  • Reply 194 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Caveat emptor.

True!
  • Reply 195 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I didn't see anything in your list that Apple promised and didn't deliver. Have you considered that your expectations were, perhaps, entirely of your own making?

Maybe. 7+ months is still excessive to me. Is wanting two whole features greedy on my part? Two, count them. Air play video and Air play Keynote. That's it. Siri, I already had and lost. We'll see if that comes back. That's just an annoyance. In the end I may get the Airplay feature.

It's just plain stupid that their software didn't have it to start with. I guess I'd make a lousy businessman actually giving customers the features they wanted and not nickel and diming them to death.
  • Reply 196 of 219
    Does this forum support -ignore- lists?
  • Reply 197 of 219
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    I think people might have forgotten that when you ask siri a bunch of questions it looks for context in what you ask & what you asked it before, so jumping from random topic wasnt a very good test, he seemed to figure it out that you can reset the search, so i guess you have to do that whenever you change topic?.
  • Reply 198 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Siri needs to analyze what it is doing (well and poorly) so it can become more capable.

I'd be interested to know how it is getting this feedback.

Where the user does not proceed with something that siri comes back with, do they check what was recorded vs what siri came up with?

Where the user has to manually correct text that siri comes up with (for example, the body of a text message), do they also send the text message up to the siri servers to compare with what siri came up with?
  • Reply 199 of 219
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:

Oh yeah, I'm just a little shrill whatever that is. ...

I'd say very shrill...
  • Reply 200 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I agree, the swan 930 is confusing, and I wouldn't want Siri to achieve consciousness and think humans are an idiot species that is only fit for termination. It could mean tickets to see The Swan at 9:30, or it could be a place called Swan 930.

The thing is, the people receiving the message "Swan 930" aren't confused. They know it means a pub called the Swan and not an invitation to see Swan Lake the ballet.

My point is that since siri can't accurately translate an 8 character text message that I send at least once a week, I'll just continue to send the text the "old fashioned way" with my fingers. And because siri can't handle one of the apparently simpler things that I do on the phone, I don't really have the trust to use it for anything more complicated.

I appreciate that siri is beta... but I'd be interested to know how it could or would be "trained" to an individual's voice. If siri doesn't translate, say, the body of the text message correctly, then I'm either going to cancel and send the message the old fashioned way, or manually correct what siri has come up with, and then send it. In either case, how is siri getting the feedback of what it thought I said vs. what I intended to say? Is the copy of the text message being sent up to the siri servers to allow comparison with the speech sample?