First Look: Using iPhone 4S with Siri voice assistant

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219
    Have you guys seen this site where people upload their Siri pics?

Too funny! - http://siriouslyweird.tumblr.com

I'm glad Apple gave it a sense of humour.
  • Reply 122 of 219
    My 13-year-old grandson had problems hearing in his formative years. It was a blockage that wasn't detected immediately, but eventually resolved by temporarily inserting tubes in both ears.

Unfortunately he missed learning to speak by listening to others speak.

He can speak fine if he takes his time and thinks about what he is going to say (we all could take this as an example).

But, when he gets excited, he speaks in a rapid monotone -- and it is pretty hard to understand what he is saying. His classmates make fun of him for this.

We've tried speech therapy and we group read, out loud, several times a week -- the iPads are excellent for this use.

When I got the 4S, and started using Siri -- he was all over it. He is excited, playing and having fun!

All the while, he has to slow down, think about what he is going to say, then say it clearly and distinctly -- for Siri to understand what he wants.

And, he does! Because he wants to -- not because we're telling him to.

This makes me think that Siri (because she's fun and sassy) could be an engaging speech therapist.-- a modern day Demosthenes!
  • Reply 123 of 219
    The earlier errors in DED's spoken sentences brings light to interesting point... Today's kids, with their own lingo... how does Siri fare when it comes to interpreting it? Is it up-to-date with all the latest and greatest linguistic mayhem that somehow passes for coherent speech?
  • Reply 124 of 219
    ramkramk Posts: 13member
    is there any way i can have the Siri in my MAC?
  • Reply 125 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAMK View Post

No, of course not.
  • Reply 126 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why does being right on an Internet forum matter so much to you? Don't you have any self-esteem?

Yeah I have self low self esteem so I have to drink the Apple Kool a.......oh wait that is what I am trying to point out.
  • Reply 127 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post

If Apple was looking for this to make me forget that I got the SAME phone for the 2nd year in a row they have failed. The ONLY reason I upgraded was because I wanted a white iPhone and since I have gotten my phone things have going wrong with it! My partner got one at the same time and when I opened his to get it ready for him I noticed he had bars immediately! My phone said no service out of the package !! Then his phone was ready immediately out of the box and mine didnt work for 2-3 hrs. Now my Siri keeps telling me its having a hard time connecting to the network and hardly ever gets what I am saying!

Sounds frustrating but why not just take it back? One of the things that keeps me coming back to Apple is how well they deal with situations like this.
  • Reply 128 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAMK View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, of course not.

I suspect that you'll eventually see Siri [client] running on the Mac, and maybe Siri [server] running in the back room.

But, before that, I think you'll see Siri on an iDevice sending commands and content to/through your Mac.

In this use, think of the Mac as a biig window for Siri on the iDevice -- AirPlaying Siri to the Mac.
  • Reply 129 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, but that's why there are two microphones on the iPhone, I thought.

That doesn't make it easy. People have dedicated major portions of their lives to figuring this problem out, and it's not anywhere near solved yet. It's merely good enough for some real world scenarios. Look into the math of it and you'll see.
  • Reply 130 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4fx View Post

I found it odd that Siri could find the Washington Monument the first time I asked, but not the Statue of Liberty even after several attempts.

Did you tell it which Statue of Liberty you wanted?
  • Reply 131 of 219
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It is selling like hotcakes. It has a small screen.

Nobody knows what affect the small screen is having on sales.

Precisely, but you are claiming to know that most people would prefer a larger screen. Hence my question.
  • Reply 132 of 219
    It's a nice idea but needs work. With my 3GS I could press the home button and say " call John Smith". The voice would say either "calling John Smith-mobile, etc", or voice dialing is unavailable when there is no internet connection (something like that). Now, I see full ATT bars and I have often gotten the message that, "Sorry, I cannot connect at this time". Maybe the servers are overloaded which is a major problem if this persists. I will continue to hope this is just initial issues which will be quickly resolved.
  • Reply 133 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nospam2me View Post

All of a sudden this morning Siri is not working on my iphone 4S. WTF? That expensive new datacenter in NC can't handle the 1 million preorders + however many first day sales? This doesn't bode well given RIM had recent outage and people were moving from BlackBerry to iPhone. Hope this isn't true...

At 8:40am EST this morning, Siri would not respond. Constantly received this respone, "Uh oh, there's a problem. Can you try again?"

It's not the phone or Apple's servers. The problem is the carriers are having problems with the load and didn't do adequate IP address or bandwidth planning for this "worst case" scenario. Because everybody is running speedtest and trying out Siri, plus syncing to iCloud, playing with iTunes Match, etc., in addition to all the activations, it's worse than having something like 9/11 happen with everyone trying to place calls at the same time. Carriers don't have enough resources to support everyone simultaneously. They estimate an average load, add a small safety percentage, and hope for the best.

I hate to say it, but my beloved Sprint was the least prepared for this. AT&T was in good shape, but sold more phones than expected.

BTW, less is being done in NC than you think.
  • Reply 134 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

It's not the phone or Apple's servers. The problem is the carriers are having problems with the load and didn't do adequate IP address or bandwidth planning for this "worst case" scenario. Because everybody is running speedtest and trying out Siri, plus syncing to iCloud, playing with iTunes Match, etc., in addition to all the activations, it's worse than having something like 9/11 happen with everyone trying to place calls at the same time. Carriers don't have enough resources to support everyone simultaneously. They estimate an average load, add a small safety percentage, and hope for the best.

I hate to say it, but my beloved Sprint was the least prepared for this. AT&T was in good shape, but sold more phones than expected.

BTW, less is being done in NC than you think.

Some of what you say is true!

What do you mean by your last line? Got a link.
  • Reply 135 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Originally Posted by The-Steve

"Change 500 mexican pesos into US dollars."

This is not a *question*; why are you surprised that there is no answer?Because your "personal assistant" should respond to commands.

It's neither a question nor a grammatically correct command.

"Convert 500 Mexican pesos into US dollars" works. As time goes by, this "BETA" version of Siri will learn to deal with more cases of improper English.

BTW, I'm not insulting your command of the English language. Siri SHOULD handle what you asked for or at least ask for clarification. Expect it to improve gradually.
  • Reply 136 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Yeah I have self low self esteem ...

Trolls generally do.

Sad, but true.
  • Reply 137 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

how do you get "wife" "husband" "brother" et al into siri

do you have to add these as separate entries to contacts or what

is there some settings or training necessary

You just tell Siri "my father is Charles" and then it asks you if it should remember that Charles is your father (where you have Charles as one of your contacts). Super simple.

A quick note on this. It works by adding new fields to your _own_ contact. If you are using Google for your contacts through the Google Exchange server... it has trouble adding these extra fields (it added my father as as my "manager"!). I got around this by using iCloud contacts just for my own contact... then it could add the extra fields just fine.
  • Reply 138 of 219
    Here's a cool one. I just told Siri: "Every Wednesday morning when I leave the house remind me to take out the trash"... and it worked! She set up a recurring reminder for every Wednesday morning when I leave my home!

This worked on the very first try with no extra prompting or repeating required. I consider it to be a fairly complex request with multiple parts to figure out.

It really does feel like pretty good AI is behind Siri and it's just going to get better over time.
  • Reply 139 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just think if the Siri beta hadn't been limited to the 4 million iPhone 4Ses sold this weekend... and 100 million iP4s, Touches and iPads had hit Apple's servers and the Internet.

It's as if the servers were trying to take a drink out of a fire hose.

Someone once tried to come up with a a way to predict what would happen in scenario similar to this sort concentrated activity...

Something like: "What would happen if ten's of millions of concurrent requests were made for the same web site?"

After, consideration, the best answer they could come up with was: "It would be like all the urinals in New York City flushing at the same time!"

The prediction was: "Not to worry -- you'll be up to your ears in piss, first!"

I'm pretty sure that happened when the Giants won the Super Bowl, so there's apparently no need to worry.
  • Reply 140 of 219
    One thing I've noticed is if you're not sure how to word something, just use the fewest number of words possible. It will figure it out.

Today I wanted to remind myself to pick up an Audio Y cable, to hook my lappy to my stereo so I can pipe sound from next week's Blizzcon Live Stream out to my computer. My last one got eaten by my dog. So I ask Siri "set a reminder to pick up an audio cable" - it asked me when - I said all day. It asked me where - I didn't set up a location to my shopping center yet, so it suggested when I left home. It did so.