First Look: Using iPhone 4S with Siri voice assistant

Comments

• Reply 81 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Hasn't anyone else heard about Apple's own proprietary iMessage service? That would allow some of us to dump our carrier's high price (and for the carrier, very high profit) messaging plans?

Go to my LINK!
  • Reply 82 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you watch the video?

And you saw emails being read?
  • Reply 83 of 219
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

you learn what it responds to and how it will feel about what you're saying and you know exactly what to say. I'm sure each person who uses it will see improvements and realise when to say things such as 'start over'. My iPhone 4S is still awaiting delivery but I'll be using Siri for hours when it does!

I assume Siri will reach '1.0' status alongside iPad 3 in the spring of 2012. Then we'll see updates with each iOS increment. Give it a year and it will be extraordinary.

The next great thing is always extraordinary.

For now, a user having to learn how to do "natural language" seems counterintuitive.
  • Reply 84 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have not upgraded my iPhone yet however on the iPad the icon is Messages but the application is iMessage which we did not have before on the iPad. It is interesting to me that you can test which of your friends has upgrade to iOS 5 because iMessage tests the to: address before it starts working and if the person is not registered with iMessage it doesn't let you and flags it with a red remove warning.

Thanks, I knew we were getting iMessage, I wasn't sure were it was.

So, it's just incorporated into 'Messages'?
  • Reply 86 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The-Steve View Post

"Change 500 mexican pesos into US dollars."

This is not a *question*; why are you surprised that there is no answer?

Because your "personal assistant" should respond to commands.
  • Reply 87 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I can see you're upset and I don't want to add to it by being insulting, but I find both of your posts very confusing. It's very hard to understand what you are doing/describing or what you want Siri to do. Perhaps Siri thinks so also.

I agree, the swan 930 is confusing, and I wouldn't want Siri to achieve consciousness and think humans are an idiot species that is only fit for termination. It could mean tickets to see The Swan at 9:30, or it could be a place called Swan 930.
  • Reply 89 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Huh? In an article talking about Siri, why in the world are you bringing up the flow and navigation capabilities of the 2 OS'es, and then blaming DED for "spinning".

Is DED supposed to compare every possible part of every smartphone OS (including one that isn't even top 3) in every article he writes, or otherwise is open to accusations of "spinning"?

No comparison to existing solutions belong in any reviews.

That would be as Black as everything, and DED's first impressions were Pure White.
  • Reply 90 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Better yet, try asking a Windows or Android phone that and see how far it gets you. I'm astonished at the blinkers some partisans are willing to put on to ignore what Siri is.

You do realize that WP7 automatically send its request to Bing if it is not a phone command, right?

Now go to Bing and type in all those Siri questions and see what happens...

Find bars in London

weather in paris

How many ounces in a pound

Square root of 345

I am not saying it will do the "siri personality" questions... but go ahead... try it... you may surprise yourself.

Note: I still don't understand why I would want to say to my phone: "Is it sunny in Paris or should I bring an umbrella?" when I can simply say "Paris weather" and get the same answer.
  • Reply 91 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you watch the video?

And you saw emails being read?
  • Reply 92 of 219
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    I found it odd that Siri could find the Washington Monument the first time I asked, but not the Statue of Liberty even after several attempts.
  • Reply 93 of 219
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Thanks, I knew we were getting iMessage, I wasn't sure were it was.

So, it's just incorporated into 'Messages'?

I still don't understand why they don't let you have 3G txt service from your carrier on the iPad 3G model. I built my own txt service using an older dumb phone plugged into a linux box so I can txt from my own web page but that is rather hacker-ish workaround. The replies come in as emails. Most of my friends are on iPhones so as they upgrade it might become a non issue.
  • Reply 94 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The next great thing is always extraordinary.

For now, a user having to learn how to do "natural language" seems counterintuitive.

Even people misunderstand other native speakers living in the same culture. But I agree with your statement, one expects "natural language" to at least be as effective as taking to a stranger. If Siri is anything like IBM Watson, it is only capable of parsing the structure of sentences, but ascertaining meaning is not truly possible; these systems really perform a heuristic search against a gigantic database, and return the best possible answer. Even Watson made mistakes.
  • Reply 95 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It's pretty obvious that some people would like a larger screen, while others prefer the existing size. Why do you assume that your preference is more correct, especially since the iPhone, with its tiny screen, continues to outsell every other phone and break launch sales records?

People will buy the i4s despite the small screen. Could be that the bigger screen will follow Real Soon Now on the i5.

Everybody wanted one, but nobody expected an i5 this time around. It all depends on 4G rollout rates. Apple makes plenty of moolah on the 4s. The i5 will come out if and when it becomes worth it, either because it then will have a reasonable profit margin, or because Apple thinks it will be worth it to take a margin hit to get the increased volume.

Until then, NO i5 FOR YOU!
  • Reply 96 of 219
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how do you get "wife" "husband" "brother" et al into siri

do you have to add these as separate entries to contacts or what

is there some settings or training necessary
  • Reply 97 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

We know from very recent polls however, that even with all the hype about the bigger screens in the marketplace, and even given the fact that many many people fully expected a bigger screen this time, that only a measly 17% of people (in the USA) were disappointed when it didn't happen.

Beullshit. You know how many were fatally disappointed by one thing or another, or maybe everything put together, and you use that to falsely calculate how many were disappointed with the screen size?

That doesn't follow.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 98 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redhanded View Post

I've tried all of my local drinking haunts and got 100% failure on "Tabard", unsurprisingly siri thinks I was talking about iPads and translated it as "Tablet". "The Raven" worked most of the time except for a few "Rhythms" but siri's favourite pub in West London is "The Duchess of Cambridge" which was 100% correct.

Get all your favorite Pub owners to advertise with Apple. That might go a long ways towards getting them recognized. Maybe multiple reviews on one of those consumer feedback websites? Which ones is Apple getting money from? Figure that out and likely you'll find Siri responding "The Swan" to any little snippet of anything that it hears.
  • Reply 99 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

So if the iPhone 4S came out with a 4inch screen do you doubt for 1 second that everyone would be praising the 4inch retina display?

Everyone would, and nobody would complain.
  • Reply 100 of 219
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redhanded View Post

For me, it won't read emails but it will read new text messages.

how do you initiate siri to do that?

when you get a text press home button

tell siri to"read text?

to bad you couldnt have a setting pref to do that

i got it to work with my honda BT system when i opened siri it came through speakers i spoke out my text message and "send"