Android, Windows Phone bosses downplay Apple's Siri threat

Comments

• Reply 81 of 223
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

Lay off Windows and Android bosses, people! In case you've forgotten, Apple is no stranger to such tactics. Remember when Steve Jobs said that 7-inch tablet makers should ship their tablets with a nail file? How about when he he went on AllThingsD and trashed Adobe and Flash?

Er, the difference is, he was right...

Quote:

It's how the game is played. Executives are supposed to talk up their product and their strategy. They're supposed to poke holes in competitor's products/strategies.

Sure - I don't mind that. It's just that this "hole poking" is week and stupid.

Your phone shouldn't be a personal assistant? Really? And you expect people to not call him out for such an inane comment?

Quote:

Whether he's right or not is irrelevant.

Wow.

Just wow.

I'm so glad sycophants such as yourself are in the minority. Otherwise what a lame world it would be to live in.
  • Reply 82 of 223
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) When Apple releases a 7" iPad with the same version of iOS designed for the 10" iPad then you'll have a soapbox on which to stand.

Just as Jobs may have been right saying that the iOS version at the time would not be suited for a 7'' device, Rubin may be implying that the current voice recognition capabilities of Android would not grant adequate user experience upon further integration in the system. Clearly, things may change in both situations, with advancements in the respective underlying technologies.
  • Reply 83 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Says the guy defending the company that stole its new notification system.

Wait, I thought it was inferior. How can you steal (implying copy) something if it's also inferior?

And setting that aside, since Google pretty much stole the entire look an feel for the current incarnation of Android from Apple, your claim is pretty ridiculous.
  • Reply 84 of 223
    This sounds so familiar... Just like they downplayed the iPhone and they trashtalked the iPad...

Lets see how long before they introduce the same features.
  • Reply 85 of 223
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

2) When Apple releases a 7" iPad with the same version of iOS designed for the 10" iPad then you'll have a soapbox on which to stand.

Apple will not ever make a 7 inch tablet. Apple studied each and every size in detail, and decided that a 7 inch tablet would be DOA.

Unless the manufacturer ships sandpaper with the tweener, that is.

Apple will NOT make a tweener. Steve said that tweeners would be DOA.
  • Reply 86 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This sounds a little like Whistling past the graveyard...

That's exactly the phrase I came here to write.

Siri requires the infrastructure and hardware on both the client and server side that makes Apple's business model superior to the fake "open-source" model of Google's Android.
  • Reply 87 of 223
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Even if that were true, it would just be an extension of what Google has been doing with Gingerbread since late 2010.

You do realize Google did it as a response to Apple Voice Control in the 3GS, right?
  • Reply 88 of 223
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    For that matter, a lot of those features have been on the iPhone for a while. For instance, you could already tell your iPhone to make calls. The difference with voice recognition to date is you had to remember a set of commands. With Siri you don't. There is a video online with a guy having a eight minute conversation with Siri. The guy often would ask Siri the same question multiple times. Siri would understand the question has already been asked and respond accordingly.

THe usefulness will be depend on the user, but I see it being pretty useful. I particularly like Siri's ability to use your location to do things like remind you of something. For example, tell you to pick up groceries when you pass a certain street, or call somebody at a certain location. It also learns based on the information it gathers on the user.

Google wasn't dissing Siri because it understands the potential. Siri is also a tool Apple is using to wean iPhone users off of Google as it will prefer other third party services like yelp.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

A lot of these features have been available on Android for quite a while. As in, with a single button press, I can tell my phone to call anyone, to send a text message, or to start voice navigation.

Everything else that Siri has is usually just a glorified Google search.

• Reply 89 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

And make no mistake, Dragon Naturally Speaking is a far more advanced speech-to-text technology than what's in Siri (it does, of course, lack the "AI").

Er, you do know Apple licensed the speech-to-text engine in Siri from Nuance - the makers of Dragon?

Quote:

There's a novelty factor here that is selling phones. Will it be something everyone can't live without a year from now? Not a chance. For the vast majority of people anyway.

That's a pretty bold statement. I can see myself using it every time I am commuting in my car (which thankfully is only a few days a week these days). With laws against cell phone use propagating (heck, in Maryland touching your phone while in the car - even while stopped at a stoplight - is now a primary offense for which police can stop you for) technology like Siri is going to become a ubiquitous part of everyone's daily life.

Quote:

The most useful features of it (dictating texts, etc) have been standard features in most smartphones for a while.

With sucky implementations that make them a novelty. Siri has enough "extra" functionality to make it a stand alone and useable feature.

Quote:

The other parts of it are pure showmanship. Apple put a ton of effort into things like the little jokes it has because they know it'll give them publicity. They knew it'd drive sales. It's the superficial sugarcoating on the phone to give it something stronger to differentiate from the prior iPhone 4 (which is why it's artificially limited from running on anything other than the 4S).

What you pan as showmanship is the differentiator that makes Siri something useful and appealing for daily use.

Your complaints ring hollow and sound like sour grapes - your not related or working for Rubin?

The only point I may concede to you is the iPhone 4S restriction. However I suspect upon further teardown of the 4S we will see some suspicious enhancements to the microphones and more importantly, exploitation of the A5 for enhanced audio processing to enhance Siri's recognition capabilities.

If Apple was so concerned about forcing obsolescence in their phones, they wouldn't have been the first and most aggressive in the industry for pushing OS updates out to older phones. Accusing them of such makes for sensationalistic headlines, but Apple has shown time and time again that they are pretty deliberate in their decisions, and the vast majority of the time they are directly driven by user experience.

Quote:

Many of you think the world of it right now, but once the novelty wears off (and make no mistake, it will), you'll probably want to forget about all of this hype you bought into. It's just not good enough -- it's not consistent enough, it's not reliable enough. Even if it fails 1 out of 10 times to correctly do what I ask of it, that's too much for me and most people.

Huh? What an inane statement. If it fails when I'm trying to schedule an appointment I just start over. Heck, if it fails one in 10 times, that will be far less than me trying to type on a keyboard on a mobile device (any mobile device, not just an iPhone) while driving in a car (which isn't a good idea in the first place) or walking around.

I think you need to get out of your box and walk on the lawn more than trying to keep people off of it.

How sad to live in your world.... I don't need "research" to tell me how useful something is - I can see myself using Siri daily. Just like many analysts panned the first iPhone, claiming that people wouldn't be able to find enough usability in it to justify the "insane" monthly phone contracts. Well, I will gladly pay my $70 a month to AT&T as the iPhone is the device I use more than any other in my life. It's my constant companion and true information appliance. Siri takes it to the next level, enabling me to use my iPhone in even more situations where it wouldn't be practical otherwise.

It's going to be far from a novelty - it's going to be another significant input paradigm, right up there with multi-touch (which was also panned as a novelty and fad. Hmm, sounds familiar!)
  • Reply 90 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Android has had voice command capabilities like forever. iOS's version, good as it is, is just playing catch-up.

Unless Siri works near flawlessly, the novelty will wear off and only a few will use it.

Huh? where do all these fandrones come from? No phone has anything remotely close to Siri. Siri is not just simple voice translation. Try this on your phone: "Schedule an appointment for today at 3pm. Invite my wife, Jack, and Lisa." What does your phone do?
  • Reply 91 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Says the guy defending the company that stole its new notification system.

Purchased. It is not theft if you buy it, sheesh!
  • Reply 92 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Apple bought Siri. Siri was a spinoff of a government research project. Apple pulled Siri from the iOS store and aborted the almost-released Android version of it.

Wow, reading through your posts it's clear - it's sour grapes.

Yup, Apple bought Siri - and then took it to the next level. This time we can clearly see it. As someone who regularly used the Siri app on the iPhone, it's very obvious that this iteration of Siri is VERY different.

Quote:

Let's not be victims of hyperbole.

Indeed - you may wish to actually try using it for more than a few days before continuing to pan it. But then again that means you would have to put down your precious Android phone and/or be open minded for more than a few seconds

I suspect this is what is burning Apple's competitors and Android apologists more than anything:

Quote:

While Apple's competitors may doubt Siri's usefulness, millions of customers have already voted with their wallets.

Booya!
  • Reply 93 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Google bought Android. And had a sneak peak of the iPhone pre-release.

Bam!

Sigh - the irony is just thick...
  • Reply 94 of 223
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 95 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    "Siri, what do sour grapes taste like?"

"I don't know. You'll have to ask Andy Rubin about that."

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I remember reading that it, along with Apple computers, were called just toys. Funny how many still call Apple products toys and for fun only.

The even funnier part is that so many of the people who call Apple computers 'toys' are using their PC mainly to play games.

Quote:

Even if that were true, it would just be an extension of what Google has been doing with Gingerbread since late 2010.

Using voice to interact with your phone is not a new concept to android.

Nor is it a new concept to Apple. Apple has been doing it since before Google even existed.

Besides, no one ever said that Apple had the first voice recognition system, just the best -- by a wide margin.

Quote:

Android has had voice command capabilities like forever. iOS's version, good as it is, is just playing catch-up.

Playing 'catch-up' involves introducing something that's light years ahead of anything else on the market?

Does Google really pay you enough to make it worthwhile for you to constantly make yourself look so foolish?
  • Reply 96 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Huh? where do all these fandrones come from? No phone has anything remotely close to Siri. Siri is not just simple voice translation. Try this on your phone: "Schedule an appointment for today at 3pm. Invite my wife, Jack, and Lisa." What does your phone do?

Pay no attention to ConradJoe, he's just an old troll best known as tekstud. He keeps getting banned and coming back under a new name.
  • Reply 97 of 223
    Quote:

Using voice to interact with your phone is not a new concept to android.

I guess "interact" is in the eye of the beholder, but Android's "interaction" (like Apple's previous voice control) was just as useful as the "voice control" from cell phones in the 90's. The differentiator is Siri's ability to understand context and naturally pull commands out of speech without having to follow rigid rules of interaction.

Like most things Apple, the previous implementations made sense only to techies and geeks who were comfortable with their limitations. The Apple version is accessible and comfortable to all.

So yes, it may not be a big deal to you - but it is a big deal to the rest of the people on the planet.

There's more of them than you which is an even bigger deal
  • Reply 98 of 223
    Quote:

Uh, no and no.

Even Rubin didn't claim that they were the same. I won't even say nice try because it wasn't. Just lame denial. But hey, stick with that! And when Google unveils their own natural language processing in the future, just remember this and be sure to criticize them for wasting their time "improving" something that is already the same as what they have
  • Reply 99 of 223
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Search-based advertising suffers when a Siri-like assistant is used. How do we deal with that ? That's Google's issue.
  • Reply 100 of 223
    So when google and Microsoft where demoing there voice actions it was fine and when apple does a much superior application. Now it's not useful.