Steve Jobs stayed tag-less by leasing a new car every six months

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    It's hardly a "loophole". More like an acknowledgment of the sometimes glacial pace of the California DMV in getting out the plates.
  • Reply 82 of 131
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

there's no maybe about it. He was a flawed human being who was arrogant.

How arrogant do you have to be to continuously put down someone in a public forum? What gives you that right? Pot calling the kettle black....
  • Reply 83 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

He is bipolar in this regard. At times increadibly arrogant and at others increadibly humble.

This was his handicap.

I liked your take.
  • Reply 84 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

i hate to speak badly of the recently deceased, but parking sideways in a handicap spot? what a total shitbag.

Being the kind of person who would do such a thing would make him handicap in a way no?

Also, note that it was on Apple's Campus and thus, his property at the time.

If I reserved room in my driveway for ANYONE, I wouldn't feel bad parking in it myself.
  • Reply 85 of 131
    It goes to show you that if you have enough money, you can do whatever you want. I guess that he'd rather give his money to the leasing company rather than pay the taxes on the car in order to get the tags. I guess he'd rather keep Apple's money in foreign banks rather than pay taxes on it. All those things are legal but parking in handicapped parking when you were a healthy person all those years makes one a DB.
  • Reply 86 of 131
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodline View Post

Having just finished reading the official biography (spoiler alert), the doctors were delighted to have found the cancer so early, much earlier than normal, a usually you wait until you have symptoms before being checked out... But Steve's cancer was picked up on a CT scan for kidney stones, and the biopsy showed that it was in the very early stages and almost certainly hadn't spread... Steve refused to have it removed for 9 months... Preferring new age healing crap, giving the cancer time to spread and become untreatable... His arrogance lead to his early death, had he had the cancer removed earlier then he would have at the very least lived longer than he did.

In my line of work, I get disgusted with the alternative medicine crap. There are bunch of quacks peddling teas, herbs, diets and even chelation therapy for serious diseases like unstable angin, palpitations, cancer, etc. The patients get diverted from getting standard of care with tragic consequences. These quacks are not regulated either and suffer no consequences.

A regular physician has to follow standard of care... or else he/she looses the license and there are even criminal penalties besides the usual civil malpractice ones.

SJ was too much caught up with the crack ideas. I just do not understand how somebody as smart as him, with instant access to info messed around with quack remedies for 9 months. If anybody in my household, including the wife did something like this, I would have them dragged to a psych hospital with a OPC and a PEC. No so easy with SJ.
  • Reply 87 of 131
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

He is bipolar in this regard. At times increadibly arrogant and at others increadibly humble.

This was his handicap.

Not a handicap. It was his strength.

Maureen Dowd suggests Jobs was bipolar, but this is her extrapolation from a singular expression of John Scully's that's related in Isaacson's book.

If Jobs seemed depressed to Scully at times, it would have been a reactive depression, not the manifestation of mood swings due to a bipolar personality. If you know the history between those two individuals--Jobs and Scully--you'll understand.
  • Reply 88 of 131
    Two takeaways from this story:

1. Steve Jobs did not violate California vehicle registration laws

2. Gizmodo stalked Steve Jobs
  • Reply 89 of 131
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs's affinity for the Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG is said to have rubbed off on Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS software. A recent profile of Forstall revealed that he takes after Jobs and drives the same car his former boss did -- though it did not make any mention of missing license plates on Forstall's car.

All About Scott
  • Reply 90 of 131
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    And those trade-ins are worth a fortune if I was to guess!

Skip
  • Reply 91 of 131
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Scott should be fired for doing what Steve Jobs would do.
  • Reply 92 of 131
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

The type of person that CAN. And the type of person that hates "this shit" is the person that CAN'T.

Then you must love Donald Trump too and Leona Helmsley too.
  • Reply 93 of 131
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Funny how everyone on this thread are making excuses for him. Sure maybe he knew no one worked there was handicapped (Not sure how he would know no visitors would not be handicapped) or maybe he was just a pompous jerk.

I can almost guarantee that all of us, me included, has, at different times in our life, exhibited great and worthwhile behavior ... and at other times, have acted as a pompous jerk, or something equally as bad. One has to measure the totality of a person to accurately gauge "his worth" and I think Steve Jobs, while not perfect, had reached a higher level than most of us. I only would wish that all of us would strive to reach that level.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

This seems strange and hypocritical of a man that advocated "green". The AMG SL55 and SL63 are both gas hogs... I could see Jobs driving a Prius, instead.

The Prius is a huge gas hog before it even hits the road. The production of Lithium Ion batteries is an extremely dirty process which leaves a brand new Prius with something like a -200,000 mpg raiting. People should be buying used cars if they want to be green.
  • Reply 95 of 131
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I'm surprised that, given his money, Steve opted for the SL-55. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car, but it's a tad... cold, soulless, mechanical. It's like a PC.

In the same price range, why not a hand built Maserati that exudes personality and can go toe-to-toe (naturally aspirated, mind you) with the German ubercar?

Off topic.
  • Reply 96 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If I may ask, allowed by whom? In a private parking lot, I imagine the company can give you such permission.

In a public parking place in most cities, you need a permit to park in spots reserved for the disabled. I think that's the issue - Jobs had no such permit - or perhaps no permit of any kind for his car

And we're talking about private parking lots here, too.
  • Reply 97 of 131
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

The type of person that CAN. And the type of person that hates "this shit" is the person that CAN'T.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Wassup with the damn hate? Who really gives a fukk if a Billionaire CEO leases a new car every 6 months so he can avoid using tags or parks in a handicap space every once in a while. Rules exist at all levels of life, and people abuse those rules at all levels of life. I parked my car at a meter today without pay.. you think anybody gives a fukk. I dont have a city sticker displayed on my car.. you think anybody gives a fukk? The only reason this a story, is because its about SJ.

Steve Jobs wasnt the first, and damn sure wont be the last person to park in a damn handicapp space or not display a license plate tag on his car. And even if he was, atleast Steve Jobs introduced the world to many of the technologies BILLIONS of people enjoy, depend on and communicate with to accomplish an incredible amount of tasks.

What do the haters in this thread provide.. other than more moaning and bytching by a bunch internet trolls. Instead of spending your days on forums looking for shyt to complain about.. stop wasting your life and invent/innovate something that will help make the world a better place. But that will never happen, because that actually involves doing something with your life besides being a hater. Something haters cant accomplish.

Do I even need to mention the guy died of cancer? Maybe he parked in handicapped spaces because walking from a regular parking space was a bytch. Why dont you haters go get cancer, and see where you feel like parking after that.

And if I was CEO of the worlds most successful company, maybe I wouldnt want a license plate on my car either. Its bad enough with sites like TMZ stalking celebrities every second of the day, now we have techblogs like Gizmodo doing the same shyt. Whats wrong with you using some of your Billions of dollars.. to buy you a little fukking privacy.
  • Reply 98 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Scott should be fired for doing what Steve Jobs would do.

LOL. If Steve was a true megalomaniac, he would impose a rule that no one may drive the same kind of car as him. But of course, he didn't. What isn't reported is that Steve has had a life long affinity for the Benz SL coupes, going all the way back to the 80s.
  • Reply 99 of 131
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What isn't reported is that Steve has had a life long affinity for the Benz SL coupes, going all the way back to the 80s.

Many of the affluent, wealthy people do. Thats exactly the type of audience the SL was designed for. You can go all the way back to the 1960's and look at the 300SL Gullwing Benz's that are now worth millions. That have always been lavish/status coupes and always will be.

Driving an SL.. is way to say "I've arrived". The car is also pretty damn cool too. Remember it was the first with the hardtop roof that folded into the trunk. Now everybody is copying that.
  • Reply 100 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    A lot of jealous haters in this thread.

It's pathetic to hate on somebody just because they have more money than you do. Why don't the haters go and join those jealous idiots protesting and sleeping out in parks like dirty bums?

If somebody wants to lease a new car every six months, then that's their choice.

And parking in handicapped spaces? So what? I would do the same thing too if I happened to own a huge company with a big parking lot. I would do whatever I pleased, since it was all mine. As far as I'm concerned, Steve Jobs could park wherever he wanted to at Apple HQ, included in handicapped spaces.

I also don't believe in special handicapped spaces, as I find them to be anti-American. I treat all people the same, including handicapped people.