Steve Jobs stayed tag-less by leasing a new car every six months

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    The tagless thing had nothing to do with looks and everything to do with his overall issues with authority. If it had been about looks, he would have taken the license plate border off, too!
  • Reply 122 of 131
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

i hate to speak badly of the recently deceased, but parking sideways in a handicap spot? what a total shitbag.

The article only mentioned him doing so at the Apple headquarters.

While I fully understand and have no issue with having special parking for handicapped people - especially those in wheelchairs who need extra space for a ramp etc to get in and out of the vehicle, there are certainly cases where the letter of the law stipulates way to many handicap parking spaces begin required in places where they are either never used or may only ever get filled up during the Christmas rush at the mall for example.

i don't know exactly that the law is - but if for example the law states that for every 1000 parking spaces 10 must be handicap accessible - in a building where not a single handicapped employee, guest, visitor, or customer ever works or visits - then having those spaces set aside is just an inefficient waste of space and time for everyone who does park there.

So in the case of Apple headquarters - the state law may have stipulated some number of handicapped spaces that far exceeds the number actually needed.

on a related note - at least where I live - the handicap sign that you hang from the mirror says right on it that it is only to be hung from the mirror when parked - not while driving - as it is dangerous to have a large object that obstructs you vision hanging in the middle of the front window - yet I see many cars driving around with the tag there 24x7.
  • Reply 123 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Soooooo, we're a cancer expert are we? As a cancer survivor, I don't care for how you characterize a personal decision where you had no input, were not involved in the diagnosis and apparently know everything there is to know about pancreatic cancer. I lost a friend recently to the same prostate cancer I was successfully treated for, simply because his was a rapidly metastasizing version where mine was not. By the time his was diagnosed it had spread and moved into other organs. My oncologist readily admits that they are still miles way from definitive treatment and understanding in detail the etiology of cancers. Mine was contained and treated successfully. WTF is this fascination with tagging every act by Jobs as arrogance? Maybe he preferred to try the alternative medicine approach because of religious belief as a buddhist, maybe it was a lifestyle thing. Not everyting Jobs did was driven by his arrogance, and to second guess his decisions about things without knowing the whole story seems really obtuse behavior on your part. Maybe you just need to get over the arrogance thing and let Jobs be the flawed human being who was able to drive some pretty cool devices that he was.

You've put your finger on it. The problem is trying to describe his personality in one word. Years ago I interviewed Guy Kawasaki for a column I was writing. At the end of the interview I asked him about Steve. Guy's answer was to say that trying to explain Steve was like trying to explain air to a fish. I figured that this was Guy's clever way of avoiding the question (and I found he used it on other interviewers), but it was also his way of saying that Steve's personality was a full of highly individualistic quirks, that he lived on Plant Steve. I take it from everything I've heard and read about Steve (haven't read the bio yet) that he was a kind of idiot savant -- absolutely brilliant in some areas, a total dunce in others. You don't live and accomplish like he did, and die like he did, without being a flawed genius. He wasn't the first of his kind, nor will he be the last.
  • Reply 124 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

It's hardly a "loophole". More like an acknowledgment of the sometimes glacial pace of the California DMV in getting out the plates.

In California, plates usually come within 2-3 weeks, though that's up the to dealer. As a new car buyer you have six months during which you are not required to put the plates on the car. I drove my last new car around for a couple of months without the plates, not because I didn't have them but because by law I didn't need to install them.
  • Reply 125 of 131
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My take is that Jobs never deprived a handicapped person of a parking spot. Nobody has suggested that he did. So no harm was done in that regard.

Next up for consideration is the appearance of parking in those spots. It could be interpreted as an insult to those who can't get away with that kind of thing. But if we really want to be pissed about a privileged life, perhaps we should focus on CEO vs janitor compensation. The discrepancy is pretty astounding. Harping on parking spots is pointless in comparison.
  • Reply 126 of 131
    For those of you making a distinction between a handicap parking space at Apple vs. a public place, I do recall stories of him using handicap spaces beyond Apple. This page includes an anecdote from a Whole Foods parking lot:

http://gawker.com/5506526/a-treasure...e-jobs-stories

And didn't AppleInsider run a photo of his car in a handicap spot in downtown SF a few years ago?

Just sayin'...
  • Reply 127 of 131
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

For those of you making a distinction between a handicap parking space at Apple vs. a public place, I do recall stories of him using handicap spaces beyond Apple. This page includes an anecdote from a Whole Foods parking lot:

http://gawker.com/5506526/a-treasure...e-jobs-stories

And didn't AppleInsider run a photo of his car in a handicap spot in downtown SF a few years ago?

Just sayin'...

This seems like a case of legend being bigger than reality. Which parking spots did he allegedly park in and when? I've never seen any hard details.

The guy's alleged behavior is annoying to some people, and probably rightfully so by their standards. However before throwing stones, shouldn't we know exactly what he is accused of? Did he ever actually take up the last handicapped spot? Did a handicapped person ever not have a place to park?

Being such a public and polarizing figure, legends about Jobs are sure to arise. Most will be based at least somewhat in reality. But my bet is that we have no clue what we are talking about. Even that gawker link, it's a bunch of 4th hand information being bounced around the gossip mill.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    So Jobs had an ugly dealer permit on the front window of his car all the time? And he didn't receive his plate and stickers for 6 months every time he leased? Hard to believe both of those cases are true.

Steve

"How long is the Purchaser's Temporary Operating Copy valid?

The permit the dealer provides for display on the passenger side of the front window is valid until the plates and stickers are received by the customer, or for six months from the sale date, whichever comes first."
  • Reply 129 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodline View Post

+1

His arrogance may well have driven Apple to make great products... But it was ultimately the cause of his untimely death.

Well bloodline, that is the most arrogant comment I have see in a while ? do you have a direct line to God to know with certainty such inside information?
  • Reply 130 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodline View Post

His arrogance may well have driven Apple to make great products... But it was ultimately the cause of his untimely death.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It is unlikely he would have survived had he had surgery in 2003. The misfortune of having pancreatic cancer killed him, not his "arrogance."

Of course each case is unique, not part of a contest. But, both my cousin and a co-worker I knew, each were diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Both opted for prompt conventional treatments. Both still passed away in about 2 more years after the surgery that was touted as being able to fix them. But, as we know, Steve Jobs lived 7.5 more years after his diagnosis for a rare form of the same disease. There's no guarantees with any cancer, nor with any treatment. But from what I've seen, it sure seems to me Steve Jobs was wise to at least explore alternatives to rushing for the surgeon's knife.
  • Reply 131 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

You are incorrect. On every level.

Proof please for such a sweeping statement, it may be Off Topic but it cannot go unchallenged.

AFAIK it IS A WELL KNOWN fact that more energy is consumed in creating a car than using it, this is true for conventionally fuelled vehicles, and most certainly true for lithium celled vehicles.

You need to do a whole life energy usage analysis which includes making, using, maintaining and decommissioning to make an effective comparison.

Lithium is a very unpleasant material to handle, and making Solar Panels is not an exercise in energy efficiency.

A battery powered car does NOT HAVE zero emissions - the electricity has to be generated somehow and in a conventional power station energy efficiency isn't much better than 40%, this is an inescapable thermodynamic FACT.

The environmental destruction caused by extracting Lithium from the large deposits in South America are not going to be pretty. Go check it out. Hydrogen fuel cells ultimately offer a better solution, IMHO....

As a Mercedes driver (leased for three years) myself, I can fully relate to why Steve would have such a car, design quality, build quality, reliability.