Apple brings iPhone 4S to 22 new countries in fastest rollout ever

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Still not available in the US on T-mobile. Who needs to blink first?
  • Reply 22 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's the point.

If I were to hire a personal assistant, I would of course judge based on skills, and try to get somebody good, but looks are also very important and if I didn't like the way that a certain female looked, then they wouldn't get the job.

Hmmm... I think you misunderstood me. Not that it matters. I was just playing.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The iPhone already does way more stuff than 99% of the users need. It's a phone. I don't see how it can get any more high end.

Faster CPU.

Bigger screen.

4G data speeds.

More RAM.

Bigger SSDs.

I doubt that the iPhone is at the end of the line. There's lots more that Apple will do to it in the future.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travelbyphone View Post

I wonder why isn't portuguese on the 2012 list for Siri since it's the 6th most spoken language in the world.

Maybe Apple got its panties all in a bunch when Brazil would not accept being steamrollered? IIRC, Brazil refused to allow Apple's supplier build new factories on any terms they wished.

Stranger things have happened.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Faster CPU.

Bigger screen.

4G data speeds.

More RAM.

Bigger SSDs.

I doubt that the iPhone is at the end of the line. There's lots more that Apple will do to it in the future.

The future is the future however your initial argument was that they ceded the high end - past tense. Apple is conservative, they always measure their upgrades to match the sweet spot of the market, so if that is ceding the high end, so be it but I don't think that is really the case.

Bigger screen.

(No thanks too bulky. I have an iPad)

4G data speeds.

(Not wide spread, uses too much battery just having it turned on, constantly search for network)

More RAM.

(Seems to work ok for now especially on 4s)

Bigger SSDs.

(Sure but the lower storage options are going to remain very popular as well)
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Faster CPU.

For Internet-free Siri processing? I'm game.

Quote:

Bigger screen.

Zero need.

Quote:

4G data speeds.

A given.

Quote:

More RAM.

Bigger SSDs.

Hope so.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

very few people on this planet can speak proper English or American English and Siri doesn't understand people who speak with weird and ridiculous accents and other foreign people who suffer from various speech impediments.

If what you say is true, then "very few people on this planet" will find Apple's newest and greatest technology to be anything other than a brief amusement.

Maybe that is one reason why Apple's sales are suffering even as Android surges further and further ahead?
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:

If what you say is true, then ... Maybe that is one reason why Apple's sales are suffering even as Android surges further and further ahead?

Apple is selling every phone they can manufacture. How is that suffering? They sell more every quarter than the previous quarter. I don't know where you get the suffering part. Aren't they making more money than any company on earth?
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

The future is the future however your initial argument was that they ceded the high end - past tense. Apple is conservative, they always measure their upgrades to match the sweet spot of the market, so if that is ceding the high end, so be it but I don't think that is really the case.

Bigger screen.

(No thanks too bulky. I have an iPad)

4G data speeds.

(Not wide spread, uses too much battery just having it turned on, constantly search for network)

More RAM.

(Seems to work ok for now especially on 4s)

Bigger SSDs.

(Sure but the lower storage options are going to remain very popular as well)

The comment I responded to was " I don't see how it can get any more high end." The list provided was ways the iPhone might get "more high end".

Your comments seem to be a tacit agreement that the iPhone is mid-line, hardware wise. That may be, and your comment that " Apple is conservative, they always measure their upgrades to match the sweet spot of the market," is something I agree with.

Seemingly, we are saying the same thing but approaching it from different angles. Apple could indeed make the iPhone more high end, but "the sweet spot of the market" is where Apple is directing its efforts.

And the low end of the smartphone market, of course.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Quote:

The comment I responded to was " I don't see how it can get any more high end." The list provided was ways the iPhone might get "more high end".

Your comments seem to be a tacit agreement that the iPhone is mid-line, hardware wise. That may be, and your comment that " Apple is conservative, they always measure their upgrades to match the sweet spot of the market," is something I agree with.

Seemingly, we are saying the same thing but approaching it from different angles. Apple could indeed make the iPhone more high end, but "the sweet spot of the market" is where Apple is directing its efforts.

And the low end of the smartphone market, of course.

I think it is the same for computers. At a certain point computers are becoming faster and have more capabilities than almost anyone needs. I'm already at that point with iPhone. Some people always want more even when there is no point.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

Apple is selling every phone they can manufacture. How is that suffering? They sell more every quarter than the previous quarter. I don't know where you get the suffering part. Aren't they making more money than any company on earth?

Hot off the presses:

Samsung surges past Apple in smartphones

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79R0B620111028
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Hope Apple can supply phones; my daughter has been waiting for a 4S from AT+T for more than two weeks, still no shipping notice - very frustrating !
  • Reply 33 of 65
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Faster CPU.

Faster CPU simply for the sake of faster CPU? Battery life?

Quote:

Bigger screen.

Bigger screen for the sake of bigger screen?

What is a big enough screen? 4.2" 4.6" 5.2"

The iPad wins that game.

Quote:

4G data speeds.

4S just sold 4 million phones in two days without 4G. How are 4G sales?

Quote:

More RAM.

"Karagounis points out that "minimizing memory usage on low-power platforms can prolong battery life," noting that "In any PC, RAM is constantly consuming power. If an OS uses a lot of memory, it can force device manufacturers to include more physical RAM. The more RAM you have on board, the more power it uses, the less battery life you get."

Quote:

Bigger SSDs.

What other phone is shipping with 64GB?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Those are supposed shipped numbers not actual sales.

Quote:

Hot off the presses:

Samsung surges past Apple in smartphones

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79R0B620111028

• Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:

I think it is the same for computers. At a certain point computers are becoming faster and have more capabilities than almost anyone needs. I'm already at that point with iPhone. Some people always want more even when there is no point.

Ah. I see your point. I don't agree, but I see what you are saying.

It is interesting that computers are indeed, in general, "good enough". I cut my teeth on them when huge hardware leaps were being made quickly, unlocking whole new capabilities like "multi-media". (As an aside, I am typing this while listening to a bootleg recording (.flac, natch)of Janis Joplin from 1969, which I downloaded off the internet - I remember when anything more than weird beeping was an impressive capability for a computer, and when this one little album would have more than filled up my entire hard drive).

But anyways, yes, raw power is no longer a choke point, and now many things other than raw computing power are valuable, like great screens and portability.

But I don't agree with you WRT the cellphone market. I think that things have a ways to go before we top out on power and performance in the manner we've seen in the PC market.

Battery tech is holding things back, IMO, as is the total obsession with thin phones. You say they are powerful enough - I say they are thin enough. Enough is enough. Make 'em a little bit thicker and increase the battery life, please.

I'd really like a powerful pocket computer. Throwing a phone in there with it is fine. I don't think we are anywhere close yet.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:

Battery tech is holding things back, IMO, as is the total obsession with thin phones. You say they are powerful enough - I say they are thin enough. Enough is enough. Make 'em a little bit thicker and increase the battery life, please.

I suppose for the younger generation more battery is important since they seem to be out and about much more than I am. My iPhone always has at least half a charge when I plug it in at night. I spend more time on my computers and iPad. The phone is a phone mostly, although I do get some stock quotes, news headlines, currency and metric conversions etc. I'm am never interacting with it for more than a minute or two at a time. I listen to music and talk briefly on Skype, a couple texts, take a picture or two but by and large it is a communications device not an all purpose computer. So it is good enough for me as is.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Apple is clearly ignorant of the fact that there are a huge number of people in Hong Kong who don't read Chinese, and nearly all of the population can read English to some extent.

Case in point is the Apple Store here. Nearly all signage is in Chinese, and there is almost no English! But at quick glance one can see that there are a huge number of non-Chinese in the store.

Why release the 4s in Singapore and not in Hong Kong? I'd say the Hong Kong market is actually larger in terms of English speakers.

It seems Apple is delaying release here until Siri in Chinese is available, which is moronic.

I do believe I'm giving up and getting an iPhone 4 today. Of course, I can get it for zero prepay, and zero handset price with a 24 month contract, which is very nice indeed. All I'll really be missing is Infinity Blade 2.

And then when the iPhone 4s comes out I can give the iPhone 4 to my wife. Her contract is over as well, so we both qualify for subsidized units.

We also need the AppleTV 2 here. I'm damn happy I got one elsewhere.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Still not available in the US on T-mobile. Who needs to blink first?

Is that a rhetorical question?
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For Internet-free Siri processing? I'm game.

Zero need.

A given.

Hope so.

I'll never understand why some of you so regularly, so patiently, so thoughtfully feed the Samsung trolls who populate this board.

Very Pavlovian.....
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Those are supposed shipped numbers not actual sales.

No 'supposed'. They are.