Apple brings iPhone 4S to 22 new countries in fastest rollout ever

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'll never understand why some of you so regularly, so patiently, so thoughtfully feed the Samsung trolls who populate this board.

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I never forget who they are, though.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It seems Apple is delaying release here until Siri in Chinese is available, which is moronic.

Not really. From various reports I've seen, perhaps the biggest market segment for iPhones (and more generally, Apple products) in HK is visitors from the Mainland.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fair enough.

But I'll bet many of them get paid at the end of the workday as a multiple of the number of responses they generate. Some of us may be playing into that.....

It does not seem rational that there are so many Samsung fanatics with such low self-esteem that they show up for abuse day after day after day on an Apple website!
  • Reply 44 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Fair enough.

But I'll bet many of them get paid at the end of the workday as a multiple of the number of responses they generate. Some of us may be playing into that.....

It does not seem rational that there are so many Samsung fanatics with such low self-esteem that they show up for abuse day after day after day on an Apple website!

I just assume it that part of the population that can't stand anything successful or dominate. A manifestation of their low self-esteem and general dislike of all things functional. Their jumping on Samsung or whomever is just the closest thing in their mind that has a chance of bringing down the current leader.

Maybe one day we'll be to look back on those that have really snapped in society to get a pattern of how they act on internet forums where they are less afraid to wave their paycho flag. Perhaps a few lives will be saved in the process.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:

Where do I sign UP for this?!

I kid, of course. As evangelistic about Apple as I am, it goes against my beliefs to just troll someone else's forum. Don't want to talk about morality because people get all jumpy when you mention morality.

And Apple doesn't do 'paid forum troll' nonsense, anyway. They don't have to.

Seriously, Samsung (or any company in the case of any company's trolls) pays these fools to come here and post? A company that high-profile thinks it better to waste money on forum trolls than to actually use it to build something worth owning?
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Will that be enough to slow the Android onslaught? Will it be enough to reverse Apple's sharply declining market share?

I don't think that they are worrying about Android at the moment, but rather the resellers snatching up phones in the US etc and selling them at a huge markup to people that just can't stand to wait for the official release.

Once they get that annual issue out of the way then they can worry about the Android phones that manage to stay on the market because they aren't violating patents etc
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, that seriously reduces the 'must have' factor. Siri works in English, German and French. In 2012 it will work in Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish. That'll suck big time for the rest of the world.

the alternative is to have a feature that barely works in every language. Many folks, in light of that choice, are probably happy to have it complete its beta in a limited area and language range
  • Reply 48 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

I'll never understand why some of you so regularly, so patiently, so thoughtfully feed the Samsung trolls who populate this board.

Very Pavlovian.....

Thank you. It's also very careless of littering the thread. We should be making CJ pick up his own trash.

More to the topic, I wonder if they're holding back from Hong Kong because they know they'll sell out the allotment in 45 minutes -- instead of 90, like with Singapore.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has launched iPhone 4S in 22 additional countries, as it announced it would by the end of October, making the launch the company's fastest international rollout of an iPhone with the 4S model now available.........

Noticed a queue (4 people) on Thursday outside a small Telia mobile phone store in Stockholm.

Re Siri, quite a few of the Swedes I work with have American(ish) accents so aside from not being able to search for local shops etc, they should get on ok with it.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I kid, of course. As evangelistic about Apple as I am, it goes against my beliefs to just troll someone else's forum.

That's something I've never understood about some people. If you don't like a company's product, why burn calories posting at sites about said company?
  • Reply 51 of 65
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Anyone know when Siri's location services will work outside the US, specifically Canada?
  • Reply 52 of 65
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Will that be enough to slow the Android onslaught? Will it be enough to reverse Apple's sharply declining market share?

Apple's best bet may be to roll out free phones to these countries too.

Apple's market share is still growing.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Please... don't feed the cough cough troll cough cough...
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Do they have to?

OMG Apple is #2 behind Android in market share. And?

I don't see Apple going out of business because their name is listed below Google on some chart.

I agree. People get such a hard-on for market share I just don't see the relevance.

Now if people were to say, "Google is making more money than Apple because they have a majority market share", I would worry. Of if HTC or Samesung or whichever Android phone maker.

It reminds of little 3rd grade kids arguing about which thing they have is better, or that their Dad, Brother, Uncle could beat up the other guy's.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am learning German at the moment.

"Farbe wahlen" is German for (seriously) "wailing fart" - which is the traditional name in that country for the sound a ringing phone makes.

Also, "zwei Gerate pro Kunde" is German for "two sausages per bun" which doesn't actually mean anything to do with the iPhone, it's just something they have to write on every website over there for legal reasons.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am learning German at the moment.

"Farbe wahlen" is German for (seriously) "wailing fart" - which is the traditional name in that country for the sound a ringing phone makes.

Also, "zwei Gerate pro Kunde" is German for "two sausages per bun" which doesn't actually mean anything to do with the iPhone, it's just something they have to write on every website over there for legal reasons.

Technically, "Farbe wahlen" means "crying fart"... but who's checking.

My favourite is "Die tatsächliche Laufzeit kann variieren"... which means, "Where can I locate a washroom".

Again... nothing to do with the iPhone.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    There are lots of reasons for Apple choosing countries in their rollout schedule, not just superficial sales numbers.

In Hong Kong I can see Siri being a status symbol to show the quality of a persons Spoken English.

If Siri is indeed getting smarter then the quality of spoken English will get a lot broarder and start to accept thicker accents.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valan View Post

There are lots of reasons for Apple choosing countries in their rollout schedule, not just superficial sales numbers.

In Hong Kong I can see Siri being a status symbol to show the quality of a persons Spoken English.

If Siri is indeed getting smarter then the quality of spoken English will get a lot broarder and start to accept thicker accents.

Interesting angle on Siri I hadn't thought much about. English lessons, of course, but imagine the effect on any language that Siri "chooses" to understand. This is deep stuff.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung surges past Apple in smartphones

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79R0B620111028

Apple slips to No. 5 handset maker, No. 2 in smartphones

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...n_quarter.html
  • Reply 60 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Samsung surges past Apple in smartphones

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79R0B620111028

Apple slips to No. 5 handset maker, No. 2 in smartphones

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...n_quarter.html

1) Why post old news?

2) As stated in hill60's post, Apple market share is still growing. Or are you claiming that they didn't go from 4.1 to 4.4% in a fast growing market with products in their 5 and 9th quarters. Impressive, to say the least.

3) Why post news that has been debunked as being from an analyst, not from Samsung who no longer wishes to break own their handset numbers. I'm sure they did sell more than Apple for 5th quarter of the iPhone 4 and impending release of the iPhone 4S, so why try to make up numbers? Does it really make them look any better? No!

4) You can claim that unit sales are the most important thing but Apple has been the most profitable handset maker in the world since a year after the iPhone debuted. That hasn't changed. Everyone else envies Apple's position of never selling a loss leader and getting carriers to pay substantially more for the privilege of carrier their products.

5) I guess you can add my post to your quota. Sucks that you have to work weekends on forums for products you can't stand.