Apple brings iPhone 4S to 22 new countries in fastest rollout ever

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has launched iPhone 4S in 22 additional countries, as it announced it would by the end of October, making the launch the company's fastest international rollout of an iPhone with the 4S model now available in 29 nations.



Apple initially launched iPhone 4S in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan the UK, and has now added Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.



The iPhone 4S is already off to a record-breaking start in its first seven countries, where sales topped four million in its first three days of availability. That handily outpaced the 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 Apple sold in June of 2010.



Along with its carrier partners, Apple began taking online preorders for the new phone one week early in many of the additional 22 countries last week, citing estimated shipping times of one to two weeks.







In most countries, online orders are still providing a one to two week shipping estimate (as appears above, for online orders in Switzerland). Apple is only selling unlocked phones online, with carriers handling purchases tied to contracts.



Both Apple and its SingTel carrier partner have already sold out of the new model in Singapore however, with Apple listing all three capacity models in either color as being "currently unavailable," with no estimate on availability.







A report by AsiaOne notes that SinTel was overwhelmed with demand for the new phone, with preorders exhausted within 90 minutes of the carrier opening up orders.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It's too bad they won't get the benefit of Siri.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple has launched iPhone 4S in 22 additional countries, as it announced it would by the end of October, making the launch the company's fastest international rollout of an iPhone with the 4S model now available in 29 nations.






    Will that be enough to slow the Android onslaught? Will it be enough to reverse Apple's sharply declining market share?



    Apple's best bet may be to roll out free phones to these countries too.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Will that be enough to slow the Android onslaught? Will it be enough to reverse Apple's sharply declining market share?



    *Beethoven's 5th*



    Ap-ple is DOOOOOOOMED!

    Ap-ple is DOOOOOOOMED!



  • Reply 4 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It's too bad they won't get the benefit of Siri.



    Yes, that seriously reduces the 'must have' factor. Siri works in English, German and French. In 2012 it will work in Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish. That'll suck big time for the rest of the world.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post




    Will that be enough to slow the Android onslaught? Will it be enough to reverse Apple's sharply declining market share?




    Do they have to?



    OMG Apple is #2 behind Android in market share. And?



    I don't see Apple going out of business because their name is listed below Google on some chart.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    *Beethoven's 5th*



    Ap-ple is DOOOOOOOMED!

    Ap-ple is DOOOOOOOMED!







    I highly doubt that they are doomed.



    They are expanding the iPhone brand into the low-end market, and likely will do very well with that. They decided not to upgrade the iPhone screen or data speeds, ceding the high end to other manufacturers.



    It seems to me that they are focusing squarely on the midmarket, with forays into the low end. Likely they will make lots of profits doing that.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


    Do they have to?



    OMG Apple is #2 behind Android in market share. And?






    I thought that Apple was number six, behind some Chinese company that I never heard of.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    So, Apple is selling all the iPhones it can make, eh?



    Outstanding.



    $480/share by Feb 1st?
  • Reply 9 of 65
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Will that be enough to slow the Android onslaught? Will it be enough to reverse Apple's sharply declining market share?



    There is no sharply declining market share. Yes, market share DECLINED one quarter due to everyone waiting for the new model, but it is not a trend towards lower sales numbers. Apple's market share has remained steady for a while now.



    Will it be enough to slow Android? No, but who really cares!? Android phones are broken up into so many different variations, being an "Android" phone/device doesn't mean anything anymore. It's not too far off than what it means to be called Linux or Unix based at this point. It's just become a broad category for a mishmash of disparate mobile devices - mainly phones.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    I wonder why isn't portuguese on the 2012 list for Siri since it's the 6th most spoken language in the world.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Yes, that seriously reduces the 'must have' factor. Siri works in English, German and French. In 2012 it will work in Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish. That'll suck big time for the rest of the world.



    And this is because the rest of the world does not know how to speak English, yeah right.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It's too bad they won't get the benefit of Siri.



    Yelp integration, yes this could be an issue, but witht the rest of what Siri can do like setup appointments, dication and voice controls. It will pretty much do.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It's too bad they won't get the benefit of Siri.



    That's probably just as well. Judging by some videos which I saw, very few people on this planet can speak proper English or American English and Siri doesn't understand people who speak with weird and ridiculous accents and other foreign people who suffer from various speech impediments.



    I also thought that it was weird that some UK videos I saw had Siri speaking with a male voice. Is Siri female in the US, but male in the UK? That seems strange.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Is Siri female in the US, but male in the UK?



    Yes.



    Quote:

    That seems strange.



    If it's the male voice of which I'm thinking, it makes perfect sense. No reason to build a brand new female voice when you have a male one sitting around.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Yes.



    That's interesting, I didn't know that.



    I guess that I'm glad that I'm in the US, because I would never hire a male to be my personal assistant.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I guess that I'm glad that I'm in the US, because I would never hire a male to be my personal assistant.



    Why would you? Once sex enters the equation you're screwed, right?
  • Reply 16 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arjaosx View Post


    And this is because the rest of the world does not know how to speak English, yeah right.



    Yelp integration, yes this could be an issue, but witht the rest of what Siri can do like setup appointments, dication and voice controls. It will pretty much do.



    You seem to struggle. Not sure where you are, though.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Why would you? Once sex enters the equation you're screwed, right?



    That's the point.



    If I were to hire a personal assistant, I would of course judge based on skills, and try to get somebody good, but looks are also very important and if I didn't like the way that a certain female looked, then they wouldn't get the job.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    I highly doubt that they are doomed.



    They are expanding the iPhone brand into the low-end market, and likely will do very well with that. They decided not to upgrade the iPhone screen or data speeds, ceding the high end to other manufacturers..



    The iPhone already does way more stuff than 99% of the users need. It's a phone. I don't see how it can get any more high end. People who spend hours a day interacting with a tiny little screen need to get a life. If the screen was any bigger you are getting into tablet functionality at the compromise of having a really bulky phone. It does everything you could possibly use.



    The one thing that Android has that would occasionally be useful is turn by turn navigation, but again on a phone it is probably too dangerous to use while driving since the screen is so small.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Guess Apple Signapore/Aussie dont see fit with releasing the 4s into NZ as fast as they did last time. Maybe to prevent the comical issues they had between them and vodafone NZ that they had last year.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travelbyphone View Post


    I wonder why isn't portuguese on the 2012 list for Siri since it's the 6th most spoken language in the world.



    But is it the 6th most spoken language of probable iPhone users? Maybe, maybe not.
Sign In or Register to comment.