Samsung to depose Apple's iPhone designers, including Jony Ive

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Samsung doesn't need Apple. Apple doesn't need Samsung. They should part ways. Both are large enough companies as it is.

That is a very naive statement. These companies are tied at the hip for the moment, and it will take quite some time and effort to unravel that knot.

Thompson
  • Reply 42 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's funny how quickly you get an infraction point for an ad hominem attack (and I'm okay with that)... but you can skirt around the TOS by just using obvious taunts, trolling and antagonism time and time again without a warning... unless one or more members bitch loudly.

Anyway... off topic.... carry on.

Samsung stinks etc.

You got an infraction?
  • Reply 43 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Sorry, but that is an absurd statement. At minimum Ive is subject to the control of the board, just like Cook. So he is not the most powerful; he has at least one peer.

In his daily work, i.e. at his lab where he determines which designs are more appealing, I don't think anybody (not Cook, and not the board) can gainsay Ive. I think that's all that Jobs' meant when he said nobody can tell Ive what to do. And I think that that's all Ive does, so he is truly unencumbered by direction from above in his daily tasks. He does only what he loves, and nobody tells him how to do it. (Wish I could be so lucky!)

But I agree with you that this is not the same as being "the most powerful".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

And I would be extremely surprised if Cook could not fire him, although he may need permission from the board or the COB, but that is not unusual for very high-level employees.

Cook would indeed need the board's approval, and I would be extremely surprised if he got it. When the head coach of the football team has irreconcilable differences with a star player on the team, sometimes its the coach that gets shown the door.

But this is pure fantasy anyway. I think that Tim is perfectly happy leaving the design genius to his work, and I don't see how it would ever come down to irreconcilable differences.

Thompson
  • Reply 44 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

That is a very naive statement. These companies are tied at the hip for the moment, and it will take quite some time and effort to unravel that knot.

Thompson

Samsung was doing fine before Apple was even birth. What you smokin'? They technically DON'T need each other. Yes, contractually, yes. But both companies can end their relationship and survive.

Unless you mean they are mergeing.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

When they made bullshit immigration threats and pretended to be police so they could ransack that guy's house for their lost iPhone - that was the incident which proved to me just what sort of a nasty megacorporate monster Apple has become.

Well if you followed the story for a week or so (i.e. past the initial headlines) we found out that the Apple folks did not pretend to be police and that there were police there WITH them. They did not have a warrant, but when they asked the occupant whether they could check out his house, he said yes. Apparently, they came and went without any ransacking (and without the phone). I thought that the occupant reported that they were polite.

Was there actually any "ransacking" or "pretending" involved? Did they actually threaten to call immigration in order to get his approval to enter? If so, that would have been a mistake on the part of the police that were there with them. Do you have any information in this regard?

Thompson
  • Reply 46 of 131
    Quote:

Samsung was doing fine before Apple was even birth.

True, but the situation NOW is what we are discussing. No?

Quote:

What you smokin'? They technically DON'T need each other.

Technicalities are not all that matter in business. There is also the business side of things, and what happens to your revenue stream when you suddenly lose customers and/or vendors.

Quote:

Yes, contractually, yes.

Ah, so you kind of get the point. But you so downplay this as well as the effects of your suggestion...

Quote:

But both companies can end their relationship and survive.

Survival is one thing. But these companies are THRIVING. If either suddenly walked away, the revenue would be strongly diminished until such time as the loss could be replaced... and that doesn't just happen overnight. Going instantly from kings of the tech world to simple "survival" mode just out of spite would be a terribly naive (not to mention stupid) thing to do.

Quote:

Unless you mean they are mergeing.

OK, now I'm really concerned for your understanding of business, if that's the only thing you could come up with for my meaning.

Thompson
  • Reply 47 of 131
    Quote:

Apple Insider, gets worse and worse everyday. Sensationalist articles.

AppleInsider > Members List

linkgx1's Profile

linkgx1

Send Message User Lists

Last Activity: Today 11:02 AM

Current Activity: Viewing Thread Tests find Apple's Siri uses average of 63KB in data per query

StatisticsFriendsContact Info

Total Posts

Total Posts: 316

Posts Per Day: 12.64

Find all posts by linkgx1

Find all threads started by linkgx1

General Information

Current Activity: Viewing Thread Tests find Apple's Siri uses average of 63KB in data per query

• Reply 48 of 131
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AppleInsider > Members List

linkgx1's Profile

linkgx1

Send Message User Lists

StatisticsFriendsContact Info

Total Posts

Total Posts: 316

Posts Per Day: 12.64

Find all posts by linkgx1

Find all threads started by linkgx1

General Information

And your point is? Posting my history absolutely means nothing without CONTEXT.
  • Reply 49 of 131
    @Thompr

Yes, they need in them in the average business sense. But we're talking about Apple. The same company where the CEO said he'd use every last dollar of their cash reserves to get rid of Android. Logic doens't apply here. Reading the Steve Jobs biography, apparently he, and I quote the author, suffers from a "REALITY DISTORTION FIELD".

I hope you know we are talking about the same compnay that doesn't test their products or have sit downs for suggestions. They just do what they want. Go figure.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    Quote:

And your point is? Posting my history absolutely means nothing without CONTEXT.

Apple Insider, gets worse and worse everyday.
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple Insider, gets worse and worse everyday.

That's my opinion? Half of the articles have no direct relevance to Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

This is ridiculous - speaking as a lawyer, this is nothing more than a stall tactic and annoyance by Samsung's counsel; Apple's product came first, so there's little to nothing to be gained by deposing its designers.

Someone on the forums who knows what is going on (in a sense). Let me be the first to shake your hand!
  • Reply 53 of 131
    I bet Samsung asks "Mr. Ives, in your own words how do you say aluminum? "

All kidding aside, Samsung is just ridiculous to have gone this far. I don't even think I bought a Samsung product ever. What do they make DVD/Blu-Ray players and TVs?
  • Reply 54 of 131
    At first I thought it said Samsung is going to dispose of Apple's designers!
  • Reply 55 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I bet Samsung asks "Mr. Ives, in your own words how do you say aluminum? "

All kidding aside, Samsung is just ridiculous to have gone this far. I don't even think I bought a Samsung product ever. What do they make DVD/Blu-Ray players and TVs?

Computers, Jet Fighter Plans, TVS (THE BIGGEST TV MANUFACTRER IN THE WORLD BTW), Cellphones, Ships/Shipyards, Washer/Dryers, Refridgerators, Monitors, Cameras, Textiles, etc. They MUCH bigger than Apple.

Any other quesitons?
  • Reply 56 of 131
    Quote:

@Thompr

Yes, they need in them in the average business sense. But we're talking about Apple. The same company where the CEO said he'd use every last dollar of their cash reserves to get rid of Android. Logic doens't apply here. Reading the Steve Jobs biography, apparently he, and I quote the author, suffers from a "REALITY DISTORTION FIELD".

I hope you know we are talking about the same compnay that doesn't test their products or have sit downs for suggestions. They just do what they want. Go figure.

So you seem to agree with me that both companies need one another for the time being, but you suggest that since Apple does things their own way, they may just do something illogical and cut ties with Samsung without regard for the consequences. Do I understand you correctly?

Note that this is significantly different from your original assertion, i.e. that neither company needs the other. I think that I have proven your original point wrong, and now I stand prepared to debate your new point.

Thompson
  • Reply 57 of 131
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

They have nowhere to go. They are pretty much without any choice but to enrich Samsung.

Multiple alternatives exist for manufacturing microprocessors and flash RAM. Can you explain why they have nowhere to go?

Recent analysis suggests the Apple has been brilliant in locking out competitors with their manufacturing maneuvers. What you are saying suggests that they have maneuvered themselves into a corner instead. Can you elaborate?
  • Reply 58 of 131
    Quote:

Who doesn't test their products or have sit downs for suggestions? Apple? Not true. Samsung? Not true either.

Are you talking about another company?
  • Reply 59 of 131
    Quote:

At first I thought it said Samsung is going to dispose of Apple's designers!

Why would they dispose of their top *design team*?
  • Reply 60 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

So you seem to agree with me that both companies need one another for the time being, but you suggest that since Apple does things their own way, they may just do something illogical and cut ties with Samsung without regard for the consequences. Do I understand you correctly?

Note that this is significantly different from your original assertion, i.e. that neither company needs the other. I think that I have proven your original point wrong, and now I stand prepared to debate your new point.

Thompson

Not much.

In essence, Apple will still be Apple regardless of what happens. That entity stays the same. But the mess that would result would be enormous. I think the cost for Apple themselves would go up. Samsung would be affected, but I don't think nearly as much as they do make several products for differnet companies. Its a partnership that has to stay for the time being.

We have already witnessed legal messes when companies drift apart. Heck, look at what happened to Rare when Nintendo sold them to Micosoft. So many games can't have a sequel made just because Nintendo holds the orignal liscence.

I would picture the iPhone 4 would be dropped off if this happend. I don't want to even know the implications of this. Not to mentioned the new company making the chips on a large scale (Texas Instruments maybe?) could have some issues.

I'm keeping my orginal statement. The two don't need each other. If they decide to destory themselves, it's capitalism and are free to do so. But it's like having to pay for a patent....you don't like it but you have to to survive.

Half of the people here think Apple is going to do so well without any company (Siri will overtake google, Apple gets rid of Samsung for life). Ironically, I'm trying to sound less pro Android/Samung but apparently I'm sound more Appely. That's not the case. They don't need to each other. Just like Apple could close their stores down for an entire month. HOWEVER, a big mess is going to be made that they can't recover.

Also, Apple needs to be careful. Most of it's history it hasn't been as consistently successful like Microsoft (Apple has only been releveant in the last 10 years). Don't bit the hands that feed ya.