Twitter sees 40% of photos from Apple devices as iOS 5 Photos now 7th largest client

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's handheld devices now account for more than 39% of the photos being posted on Twitter's social networking service, with Twitter-integrated built-in apps helping iOS 5 become one of its top 10 sharing clients.

A study released on Thursday revealed that at least 2 out of 5 tweeted photos come from Apple products. Also of note, the company's own Photo and Camera apps in iOS 5 already account for 5 percent of all photo uploads to Twitter, making it the seventh largest client on the network, according to online photo search engine Skylines.

The study analyzed over 24 million Twitter photos posted during the week of Oct. 22, finding that iOS's 39% share was comprised of a combination of Twitter's iPhone app, Instagram and iOS 5's built-in Photo and Camera apps. The actual percentage of photos uploaded to the micro-blogging service from Apple devices could be much higher, however, as posts from the web or multi-platform apps like Tweetdeck and Echofon may also have come from iOS.

Twitter's official iPhone app is ranked as having the highest share of photos, with 21 percent, followed by 17 percent coming from Web posts. The iOS-only Instagram app takes the third spot and is followed closely by Twitter's BlackBerry app, with 13 percent and 12 percent respectively. The Twitter client for Android accounts for 10 percent of photos posted.

Twitter announced earlier this year that it would work together with Photobucket to offer first-party photo features for its service. Recently, that partnership overtook third-party clients like TwitPic and yFrog to become the micro-blogging platform's photo sharing leader, hosting over one third of all tweeted photos, as noted by The Next Web.

Skylines also found that users of various clients and mobile platforms seem to prefer specific services. For instance, 42 percent of photos uploaded to Twitter's official photo service came from the Twitter app on the iPhone, while 47 percent of yFrog photos came from the Twitter client on BlackBerry devices. TwitPic sees 39 percent of its photos come from Twitter for Android.

iOS 5 was released on Oct. 12 and has seen rapid adoption. According to a recent study, 38 percent of iPhone users and 30 percent of iPad users had upgraded to iOS 5 by the week of Oct. 22.

The close integration of Twitter and iOS 5 has worked out nicely for the social network. Dick Costolo, Twitter's chief executive, revealed last month that daily signups for the service from iOS devices tripled after the release of iOS 5. He even went so far as to call Apple a "corporate mentor" for the startup.

Since launching in 2006, Twitter has grown to more than 250 million tweets a day and over 100 million global active users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    #Corrections

Twitter is not a Social Network.

Edit: Alright, to be fair it has social networking, but this constant inaccurate description of it as a Social Network bugs me because it implies Twitter competes with Facebook - it only tangentially competes with Facebook in that they'e both players in the social graph arena. Twitter itself is a different social service (Specifically, Social Real-Time Messaging & Discussion) from a social network, in exactly the same way that Google+ is NOT a different social service, IS a Social Network and is largely irrelevant. Social Networks are profile driven, Twitter is update (Tweet/Message) driven.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Off topic - but did anyone else have their Timecapsule stop working and get a notification of Firmware update 7.6 ? - I can't find any mention of it anywhere... I did the update and everything seems to be working... just want to make sure it's official.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Let's see - 39% for iOS and 10% for Android.

What does that tell you? All those Android phones which are outselling the iPhone by such a large margin must be collecting dust......
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What does that tell you? All those Android phones which are outselling the iPhone by such a large margin must be collecting dust......

I'm not surprised TBH. It's very hard to reliably get anything more complicated than loading a web page done on Android without encountering something which could bug out or crash.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Off topic - but did anyone else have their Timecapsule stop working and get a notification of Firmware update 7.6 ? - I can't find any mention of it anywhere... I did the update and everything seems to be working... just want to make sure it's official.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1471

Working on a post.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

lol...you suck at stats
  • Reply 7 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

#Corrections

Twitter is not a Social Network.

Edit: Alright, to be fair it has social networking, but this constant inaccurate description of it as a Social Network bugs me because it implies Twitter competes with Facebook - it only tangentially competes with Facebook in that they'e both players in the social graph arena. Twitter itself is a different social service (Specifically, Social Real-Time Messaging & Discussion) from a social network, in exactly the same way that Google+ is NOT a different social service, IS a Social Network and is largely irrelevant. Social Networks are profile driven, Twitter is update (Tweet/Message) driven.

It has social networking because it's a social network service. It has fewer options and works differently than Facebook, but that's because it's not Facebook. You seem to making Facebook 'the' Social Network and anything that doesn't work or look the same way as not being an intenet connected social service.

It's also been described as microblogging do the limited number of characters one can post. I think that is also a very good way to look at it. It allows you to incorporate many news outlets into your Twitter follows thus replacing RSS and Google News. I find that pretty handy despite still maintaining my RSS feeds.

PS: This site is always entertaining: http://www.lamebook.com/

Quote:

Despite all the activations there presence isn't felt with any of the usage stats. I'm thinking activations aren't the end all be all some posters keep telling me they are in comparison to iDevice sales.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

I'm not surprised TBH. It's very hard to reliably get anything more complicated than loading a web page done on Android without encountering something which could bug out or crash.

prove it...until then I'm calling you a liar.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

By "stop working", only when the update came down and restarted TC. I was using it right up to when I installed the download. No problem at all. Still works like a champ.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

How about this for a test: Completely fresh Android and iPhone. Go tot their respective app stores and DL the top 10 free apps. Run the top ten free apps in order, one after another. Note any crashes. Then got respective default browsers and load 10 pages from major news sites, one after another in new pages. Note any crashes. Now switch from the 1st app to the 2nd app and so in, while also switching to the browser and reloading each page. Note any crashes. If there are no crashes I'd say the OSes are pretty well baked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So much hate on this thread.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    With all of these Android activations that certain people keep blabbering about, the devices certainly don't seem to be making much of a dent in the internet universe.

Why would that be? Don't people using Android phones take many pictures? Let me examine a few plausible possibilities which might provide a reasonable answer. I'm sure that some Fandroids have some good excuses as to why Android devices aren't actually used that much for internet access.

(1) They have better things to do than take pictures. They could be rooting their phone or rearranging widgets on their home screen instead.

(2) They are uglier than average, and common sense tells us that ugly people will take pictures of themselves less often and actually upload them to the web.

(3) Their camera sucks. A few top of the line expensive Android phones might have acceptable cameras, but most Android users don't buy those phones. The majority probably gets whatever is cheapest or free when they go to sign up for a new contract.

(4) Perhaps the average Android user hasn't yet figured out how to use their camera, or maybe it takes so long to react, that they don't even bother.

(5) It's hard to upload stuff to the web without a good data plan. What percentage of Android users actually have a decent data plan that they regularly use? How many Android users use their phone just to make calls with?

With all these Android devices out there, what the hell are people doing with them besides rooting them? Certainly not much useful or productive. They don't take much pictures, they don't surf much and they spend too much of their time on forums attempting to make excuses for their inferior platform.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

By "stop working", only when the update came down and restarted TC. I was using it right up to when I installed the download. No problem at all. Still works like a champ.

I have the TC as the main wireless and an AE as a network extender.

I was streaming some music to the AE when it started to cut out and glitch on and off for 10 minutes or so and then correct itself. Then it stopped completely and Airport Utility popped up and the TC was orange... at which point it said new firmware was available.

Kinda weird the way it happened.

Went online to try and find info about the update but there was nothing... started to make me wonder a bit...

Seems to be good now.

thx for the feedback
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Despite all the activations there presence isn't felt with any of the usage stats. I'm thinking activations aren't the end all be all some posters keep telling me they are in comparison to iDevice sales.

The fastest growing segment of Android is inexpensive handsets in southeast Asia.

These devices aren't really being used as typical smartphones: more like they are treated as touchscreen feature phones. The users talk, text, take the occasional photo, might access a social network, look at their calendar/e-mail, check the weather, etc., but for the most part, they aren't really downloading and using apps nor are they surfing the Internet heavily.

They are zombie Androids who aren't driving Android app development, nor are they generating much ad revenue for Google.

The race to the bottom is diluting Android's innovation opportunities and the manageability of the platform from the developer's perspective.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

With all these Android devices out there, what the hell are people doing with them besides rooting them? Certainly not much useful or productive. They don't take much pictures, they don't surf much and they spend too much of their time on forums attempting to make excuses for their inferior platform.

Well, let's see. Today, on my Android phone (a Samsung Droid Charge on Verizon), I read the New York Times and the Guardian, got caught up on RSS with Google Reader, posted some updates on Facebook and Google+, read a chapter of a book in the Kindle app, sent a few emails, called a friend about having dinner, listened to some stories on the NPR app, got driving directions, and watched a few videos on YouTube. I was too busy to get around to uploading photos to Twitter to placate the vacuous sneering fanboys on here.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Well, let's see. Today, on my Android phone (a Samsung Droid Charge on Verizon), I read the New York Times and the Guardian, got caught up on RSS with Google Reader, posted some updates on Facebook and Google+, read a chapter of a book in the Kindle app, sent a few emails, called a friend about having dinner, listened to some stories on the NPR app, got driving directions, and watched a few videos on YouTube. I was too busy to get around to uploading photos to Twitter.

One person does not a statistic make.

Numbers don't lie and you are hardly representative of the average Android user if what you write is true. The graph in the OP is not the first graph to come along which shows that Android people don't really spend much time or do much on the web with their devices.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Numbers don't lie and you are hardly representative of the average Android user if what you write is true. The graph in the OP is not the first graph to come along which shows that Android people don't really spend much time or do much on the web with their devices.

The graph shows nothing of the sort. The only thing this graph shows is that 40% of the photos twitter gets are coming from iOS devices, NOTHING else.

Twitter is not the web and the web is not twitter. People have other things to do, rather than upload pictures a website or update a status. I contest the second statement as well, almost every report with data covering android show that users are more power oriented when it comes to surfing the web thus using noticeable amounts of data. whether it be from 2010 or this year, they have remained consistent data usage.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

The only thing this graph shows is that 40% of the photos twitter gets are coming from iOS devices, NOTHING else.

It doesn't matter if you choose to capitalize certain words or if you decide to shout them out from the nearest rooftop, you still happen to be wrong.

The pie chart shows a whole lot more than just the iOS share, which you falsely claim. It also shows numerous other platforms including Android and the Android share is pathetically small compared to the iOS share.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I contest the second statement as well, almost every report with data covering android show that users are more power oriented when it comes to surfing the web thus using noticeable amounts of data. whether it be from 2010 or this year, they have remained consistent data usage.

You may contest and protest all you like, but I remain unimpressed by the lack of any facts or proof whatsoever to back up your words.

Here are some cold, hard facts.

Mobile/Tablet O/S Share

iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)\t61.5%

Android\t18.9%

Java ME\t12.8%

Symbian\t3.5%

http://www.netmarketshare.com/
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Typical fanboy response. The OP asked for data, I provided it. It doesn't fit your preconceived notion, so you dismiss it out of hand. Numbers can be misleading, depending on how they're collected and used.

If you reread my response, you'll see that I did a mix of web- and non-web-based activity. Even if your claim is true, it doesn't mean that Android users aren't using their phones. They could be using apps instead. But rather than try to understand how people use their devices, the fanboys on here just want to trash everything that they perceive as a threat.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Aren't you the same guys that cry bloody murder over privacy concerns yet its alright to post pics of yourself on the internet? Personally I hate the idea that's so easy to snap a pic and almost instantaneously post it to the web.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

...Um, you can call me what you like, but I have an Android device and the OS has tonnes of jank. Get over it.