OS X Lion growth stagnates at 16% Mac market share

Comments

• Reply 101 of 161
    No doubt the more cautious majority of Mac users caught wind of the many problems that impetuous, poorly-prepared early adopters ran into with the initial Lion release. Also, Lion is a really mixed bag?more different from the previous OS X release than any other I can think of. Some of the differences are actually beneficial, and some are decidedly not. Most Mac users will eventually upgrade to Lion because they must; but Lion has definitely thrown the Mac community a curve. Personally, I've been test-driving Lion on an external hard drive since the day it was released, but I still haven't installed it on my main machine and don't plan to anytime soon.
  • Reply 102 of 161
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreggInSanDiego View Post

For me, I was already to switch over to Lion Server ... until I found out that it no longer supports MySQL. That makes it really hard since I have a lot of php/mysql websites. Installing MySQL is possible, but creates a lot more work to reconfigure things.

I went through the same thing. I just did it for kicks, but I didn't realize that installing MySql from the command line would actually turn the OS into the server version as far as Apple was concerned, which made updating almost impossible. I eventually ended up completely reformatting the drive and a fresh install of Lion to straighten it all out.

Anyway I think I read that it doesn't come by default because there may be some licensing issue now that it is owned by Oracle. The default DB on Lion is Postgres. Running websites locally has never been something that I do, since I find it much better to have a development server. That way the client can log in and review the progress since it is on the web.
  • Reply 103 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Open Apple+S is now Save As.

Still you must do it first before you start editing otherwise you will save over your previous version. By habit I often do a little editing before I save as or if I don't like the way it is working out I will just close without saving. That is a habit I would have to break in the future. Fortunately I don't use any apps that implement the auto save feature so I'm good for now.
  • Reply 104 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Still you must do it first before you start editing otherwise you will save over your previous version.

If you just do it before you quit (like I imagine everyone always has) the prior session, that takes care of itself.
  • Reply 105 of 161
    Quote:

If you just do it before you quit (like I imagine everyone always has) the prior session, that takes care of itself.

Really? I didn't know that. What happens if you just close the document, which is something I often do when I am not happy with the changes I've made? As I said, I'm not at all familiar with the feature since none of the applications I use have auto save.
  • Reply 106 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Really? I didn't know that. What happens if you just close the document, which is something I often do when I am not happy with the changes I've made?

If you close the document, it's saved as it currently is when you close it. I don't know if that constitutes a Version, though.

I do know that every manual save becomes a Version, so if you manually save, close, reopen, make changes, and don't like them (and since as you make said changes, they're immediately saved), you can then go to the Versions browser and select the last Version available, which will be when you manually saved before closing it the last time.

The system, I think, assumes you're not going to be making many (any) mistakes, as often as it saves.
  • Reply 107 of 161
    Quote:

If you close the document, it's saved as it currently is when you close it. I don't know if that constitutes a Version, though.

I do know that every manual save becomes a Version, so if you manually save, close, reopen, make changes, and don't like them (and since as you make said changes, they're immediately saved), you can then go to the Versions browser and select the last Version available, which will be when you manually saved before closing it the last time.

All of that sounds like an absolute nightmare. There are many times a day where I absolutely do not want my changes saved , and I sure as hell never want my hard drive clogged with multiple version of the same document. The way it already was where it would ASK ME if I wanted to save when I closed is a lot better.

Can you at least turn this new way off?
  • Reply 108 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

No. \
  • Reply 109 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I will be disappointed if CS6 implements this. I don't use any of the new iWorks stuff except as an intermediary for Windows Office documents, so I just delete them when I am through copying the content out of them. The only way to turn it off is to not upgrade or at least don't use applications that implement the feature.
  • Reply 110 of 161
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

My reasons for not updating to Lion, and even thinking of skipping Lion totally:

- I want to have control of when I save documents, and sometimes decide NOT to save a document. I want a SAVE AS feature which I use a lot.

You can go back to any version you want, you can also lock and duplicate.

Quote:

- the online installation sucks. I want to have a clear-cut system that enables me to restore if all goes wrong. What if the reinstallation partition fails?

Apple sells a USB drive with Lion for $69. You could also create your own install media.
  • Reply 111 of 161
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    i don't know why people have issues when updating, but I would wager more people talk about having issues than people who have actually had issues.

I would also wager that a fair amount of the issues fall into the same category as the number one cause for IT calls. That would be the "check the plug" type.
  • Reply 112 of 161
    Lion sucks. It's buggy, laggy and irritating. It's like Vista for the Mac. Try using Preview if you want a "preview" of its sucky features. S L O W beyond belief, crashing, freezing, violating long established UI conventions.

Here's one: when you double click a folder in the column view of the open dialog, Preview used to refresh the column view list but now it opens all the files in that folder. Slowly.

I tried using Lion for about a week and gave up. I reinstalled Snow Leopard on my 2011 MBP and the sluggishness and annoyances went away.

I'm (sure | hopeful) that it runs great on a system with an SSD, but on a 500GB 7200 RPM equipped MBP 2011 15" it was a Dog, not a Lion...
  • Reply 113 of 161
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Here's one: when you double click a folder in the column view of the open dialog, Preview used to refresh the column view list but now it opens all the files in that folder. Slowly.

You're upset that double-clicking ? the action used for executing an open command for decades ? doesn't simple refresh a view that doesn't need to be refreshed because all contents are dynamically refreshed when they are changed?
  • Reply 114 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

My reasons for not updating to Lion, and even thinking of skipping Lion totally:

- I want to have control of when I save documents, and sometimes decide NOT to save a document. I want a SAVE AS feature which I use a lot.

Yes - what was wrong with FILE -> SAVE AS? Make a new copy in one step. I use this app a LOT to prepare software documenation.

Try using Preview under Lion and prepare to pull out all of your hair with the three-step process for "saving as". It's just annoying and stupid. Whatever software engineer that placed this abomination into Lion obviously never uses it . . .

I'm sure someone here will attempt to defend this change, but turning a one-step process into a three step process for the sake of some kind of software-evangelistic "consistency" is a giant step backward.

I'm warning all friends and clients to avoid Lion like the plague. If we can't have iCloud access as a result, well, I see it as a feature, not a bug...
  • Reply 115 of 161
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Lion sucks. It's buggy, laggy and irritating. It's like Vista for the Mac. Try using Preview if you want a "preview" of its sucky features. S L O W beyond belief, crashing, freezing, violating long established UI conventions.

I tried using Lion for about a week and gave up. I reinstalled Snow Leopard on my 2011 MBP and the sluggishness and annoyances went away.

I'm (sure | hopeful) that it runs great on a system with an SSD, but on a 500GB 7200 RPM equipped MBP 2011 15" it was a Dog, not a Lion...

I doubt that Lion itself is buggy with a lot of lag on every system. My MBA runs Lion just fine but I'm really glad that I didn't install Lion on my 5 year old Mac mini.

There's something wrong with your computer. Lion is as stable as my mini running Snow Leopard. I just tried to double click a folder in column view from within an open dialog window in Pages and could not replicate your issue.

You should probably run some diagnostic tests on your computer. It's not behaving like a computer should with Lion IMO
  • Reply 116 of 161
    Quote:

Yes - what was wrong with FILE -> SAVE AS? Make a new copy in one step. I use this app a LOT to prepare software documenation.

Try using Preview under Lion and prepare to pull out all of your hair with the three-step process for "saving as". It's just annoying and stupid. Whatever software engineer that placed this abomination into Lion obviously never uses it . . .

I'm sure someone here will attempt to defend this change, but turning a one-step process into a three step process for the sake of some kind of software-evangelistic "consistency" is a giant step backward.

I'm warning all friends and clients to avoid Lion like the plague. If we can't have iCloud access as a result, well, I see it as a feature, not a bug...

Tell us how choosing File » Export... instead of File » Save As… adds three steps to the process?

You not only get more options to choose from (something people like to complain that Mac OS doesn't have), but the current file format is kept by default so it remains just as dumb as the basic Save As… option that preceded it if you choose to do nothing but rename it and place in a new location.
  • Reply 117 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're upset that double-clicking ? the action used for executing an open command for decades ? doesn't simple refresh a view that doesn't need to be refreshed because all contents are dynamically refreshed when they are changed?

You are wrong. Double clicking an icon on a desktop, yes, opens the file. Double clicking a file folder in an open dialog in column view didn't used to open every file in the folder. I know this because I do it all the time in Snow Leopard without issue. Perform the action I am describing before criticizing.

A primary tenant of user interface design is don't surprise the user. Also, "contents are not always dynamically refreshed" when stored on a non-Apple server, which is what we have at work.

If I wanted to open all the files in a folder (this one had over 50 files) I would click the folder once and command-A to select all the files. But I don't want to do that.
  • Reply 118 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tell us how choosing File » Export... instead of File » Save As? adds three steps to the process? You not only get more options but the current format is choose by default so it remains just as dumb as the basic Save As? option that preceded it if you choose to do nothing but rename it and place in a new location.

Or in the case of an existing document you get a "Duplicate" option that allows you to save a new branch of the document.

At this point a good majority of the Lion complains I've seen haven't been about Lion deficiencies but rather someone complaining because it doesn't work exactly how "they" want it.

I really don't care if the name changes from "Save As" to "Export" to "Duplicate" if the end result is the same.
  • Reply 119 of 161
    Quote:

You are wrong. Double clicking an icon on a desktop, yes, opens the file. Double clicking a file folder in an open dialog in column view didn't used to open every file in the folder. I know this because I do it all the time in Snow Leopard without issue. Perform the action I am describing before criticizing.

A primary tenant of user interface design is don't surprise the user. Also, "contents are not always dynamically refreshed" when stored on a non-Apple server, which is what we have at work.

If I wanted to open all the files in a folder (this one had over 50 files) I would click the folder once and command-A to select all the files. But I don't want to do that.

Just tried with Pixelmator and once again it did not open any files by merely clicking on a folder in an open and save dialog.

There's something potentially awry with your install.
  • Reply 120 of 161
    Quote:

Apple designed it so a user can easily open all the files in a folder from within preview without the extra effort of highlighting them all yet you have the audacity to claim "i'm not doing it wrong, Apple designed it wrong" Jesus, man!

How about this, when you want to see the items in a folder you click it once instead of two times, but for this to work you have to remember that items in Finder windows will automatically show up as they appear so no need to "refresh" the contents.