OS X Lion growth stagnates at 16% Mac market share

Comments

• Reply 141 of 161
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No, no it doesn't.

Not for you, for a lot of other people it does.
  • Reply 142 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If by "ironic" you mean a high-speed 8GB USB Flash drive

Why do you need 8?
  • Reply 143 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why do you need 8?

The assumption is that it won't fit on a 4. I bet it would, though.
  • Reply 144 of 161
    All 5 of my Macs (including the one provided at work) are still running Snow Leopard. My main reasons are:

- not wanting to take the time to install a new OS on Macs that are working fine. This is the same thing Microsoft has faced for decades. People don't install a new OS unless they have to.

- not wanting to lose access to PowerPC software. My old copy of Photoshop CS does more than I'll ever know how to. I have some other productivity software that's still PowerPC, but Photoshop is the big one. I'd also lose access to old games that I play once in a while.

- not interested in having iOS-inspired features on the desktop. Even on a MBP I never touch the trackpad unless I've had to relocate to a meeting room. I'm much happier with an external KB and 4-button mouse plus an external display. I don't want the complexity of having to deal with 2 finger, 3 finger, and 4 finger gestures. I read about someone who said it was much easier to gesture back 10 minutes in Safari than to move the cursor up to the history menu and click. How many swipes is that versus one little trip to a menu?
  • Reply 145 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The assumption is that it won't fit on a 4. I bet it would, though.

The smallest drives I see advertised anymore are 8GB and they're incredibly inexpensive.

I imagine it's hardly worth the cost of raw materials, assembly and shipping to make a 4GB drive these days given what little you can charge for the finished product.
  • Reply 146 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The smallest drives I see advertised anymore are 8GB and they're incredibly inexpensive.

I imagine it's hardly worth the cost of raw materials, assembly and shipping to make a 4GB drive these days given what little you can charge for the finished product.

So you don't live in the U.S., then.
  • Reply 147 of 161
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Bestbuy.com (as just one example) has 54 USB drives of 4 GB or less compared to 120 of 8 GB or more.

While the smaller ones are becoming less common, it's not true to say that you can't find them or that they're not advertised.
  • Reply 148 of 161
    This probably has a lot more to do with droves of soccer moms and well-to-do teenage girls buying up Apple computers than any inherent problems with OS X Lion.

The Mac demographic has shifted, so you're going to see stuff like this.
  • Reply 149 of 161
    I have a late 2007 Macbook. I held off on Lion as I saw no compelling reason to "upgrade" to it over Snow Leopold. I did though a few weeks back though when I found out that i needed it for iCloud to go with my iPhone OS5 upgrade.

On the whole I have to say it is the worse OS I have had so far on my Macbook. The machine has become a power hog (the fas runs almost continuously), it has numerous crashes and slow downs and spinning beach balls galore. All in all, I'm finding it a disaster.

Natural scroll was really weird at first but I guess I am used to it now. Gestures don't work for me because my trackpad is too old, so I don't get some of the wiz-bang new stuff. Given that the music-match still isn't live, I'm left wondering if it was worth the $29 + tax for this "upgrade" when all I get that is worth it to me is some bookmark and address syncing in the 'cloud.
  • Reply 150 of 161
    Not much love for Lion in this thread. Could I ask someone who knows about these things, is there more to Rosetta than just the application itself? Any underlying system stuff? If not, slowing adoption of Lion and pissing off a good chunk of their customers for 3.4 MB of hard drive space seems like a piece of poor judgement.
  • Reply 151 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

But I have customers that use a calendar server, and they have 30 total calendars. So now in iCal, they have to click a menu just to get a list of their calendars. And that list only shows maybe 10 at a time, so they also have to scroll through that list to see them all. Compare this to Snow Leopard's iCal which simply had an always-there column showing all of your calendars. Again it's probably nice if you're on a tiny screen, but on a non-ipad screen, it's another hassle, another speed bump.

I couldn't agree with you more. Your only real solution at this point is to switch to BusyCal, which has a superior calendar interface and offers about 100 extra features that iCal doesn't offer. BusyCal *GETS* calendaring, but Apple does NOT.
  • Reply 152 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marklark View Post

It doesn't support Rosetta applications.

So, I run Lion in a virtual Machine - Parallels for now.

This & many other forced changes have put a serious kink in it's appeal to business. Apple needs to get it through their thick sculls that businesses can't just jump on the newest OS because Apple gives them no other choice. I thought Apple was talking about trying to get business better, well chalk Lion up as a fail.

For personal use Lion is awesome, but for business it is a massive headache.
  • Reply 153 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Bestbuy.com (as just one example) has 54 USB drives of 4 GB or less compared to 120 of 8 GB or more.

While the smaller ones are becoming less common, it's not true to say that you can't find them or that they're not advertised.

Oh you can find 4GB drives, but with prices like these:

4GB - $ 5.99

8GB - $ 7.99

16GB - $15.99

why would you bother with the 4?
  • Reply 154 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Try it with Preview. It does exactly what it should do. It's a great little polish to this great app. I am now organizing my images and PDFs in such a way that i can have them all open at once with the ease of clicking on the folder in which they reside.

TEST:
    1. File a folder with test images.

2. Open up Preview from Spotlight or Finder.

3. Choose File » Open?. Make sure you are looking at Column View or CoverFlow View.

4. Find the folder. Click once to see items in the folder. Now double-click folder to have all its content shown in Preview.

not only it opens JPG and PDF, but it works for numbers and pages (as well as office documents) documents too and many more? i just tried this after reading your message so thanks?
  • Reply 155 of 161
    Quote:

Oh you can find 4GB drives, but with prices like these:

4GB - $ 5.99

8GB - $ 7.99

16GB - $15.99

why would you bother with the 4?

Because in the US, 4GB drives are your highest price and everything else goes up from there.
  • Reply 156 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Try it with Preview. It does exactly what it should do. It's a great little polish to this great app.

Sounds more like a confusing and jarring change. Double-clicking an item should not open all items within it. It's as confusing as selecting multiple folders in Windows Explorer, choosing Search and opening a separate Search window for each folder. Plain dumb.
  • Reply 157 of 161
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Sounds more like a confusing and jarring change. Double-clicking an item should not open all items within it. It's as confusing as selecting multiple folders in Windows Explorer, choosing Search and opening a separate Search window for each folder. Plain dumb.

It always strikes me as odd that when Apple makes a radical and time consuming change people complain, yet at the same time they complain that Apple's products are merely evolutionary, not revolutionary. I think it's a great inclusion but I think having a preference option to toggle the action would have been more ideal yet no one except me has expressed that as a way to go.
  • Reply 158 of 161
    I have upgraded two of my three eligible computers to Lion. I don't have any problems with the OS, but downloading it on my home broadband takes 8 hours. This is why I didn't like the whole concept to begin with. The USB stick version should be $10 more to cover costs.

I don't know how much if any compression they use in the download file, but it would be nice if it could be (more) compressed.
  • Reply 159 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Oh well it is almost Christmas, so 'tis the season to kvetch and moan.

Here is my number one gripe with Lion: in the Finder in SL I can see how much disk space i have left. But not on Lion. On one occasion I was without knowing it very close to a full hard drive. I was transferring HD movies to the drive and it failed for lack of HD space. But there was not one warning that it would fail, and not one warning that it had failed. It was not until I looked at the folders some time later that I noticed that there were no files in them.

Now that is just brain dead. Who the hell thought that it was a good idea to take away information on file transfers and hard drive capacity?

The interface is slick and pretty, but a lot of the decisions seem to have been made by people who don't use computers for real tasks.

Finder/view/view options/item info =VIOLA!

Check it out mate
  • Reply 160 of 161
    I'm loving Lion, too. Use it on MBP, iMac home, iMac work.

iCloud has worked wonders for me. FInally have one clean Addressbook, no dupes, instantly synched to iPad iPhone work home on the road, amazing. One calendar, instantly synched and no dupes and I'm dictating appointments using Siri.

iCloud requires Lion, so there's one good reason to upgrade, for me.

Many small refinements, too many to list, which is easy to dismiss, but refinements over new features is a wise policy. I love how windows can (finally!) be resized from any edge or corner.

Minor annoyances exist and will be addressed I'm sure.