Apple issues third beta of iTunes 10.5.1 for testing iTunes Match

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After erasing developers' iTunes Match accounts, Apple has supplied its developers with a new beta of iTunes 10.5.1 to test the new $24.99-per-year service.

The third beta of iTunes 10.5.1 is now available to members of Apple's developer program. The company said it includes "a number of important stability and performance improvements for iTunes Match."

All who are testing the iTunes Match service, which also remains in beta, must update to the latest iTunes 10.5.1 beta in order to continue using the subscription service. The last beta was supplied earlier this month, and brought iTunes Match testing to the Apple TV.

The first beta of iTunes 10.5.1 was supplied to developers in October, soon after the public release of iTunes 10.5. Apple originally promised that iTunes Match would become publicly available by the end of October, but that deadline came and went without comment from the company.

As Apple continues to attempt to work out kinks with iTunes Match, the company once again erased accounts Saturday morning. Developers were notified on Friday that their iTunes Match beta libraries would be erased as Apple continues to prepare for the forthcoming launch of the service.

When it is eventually publicly available, iTunes Match will support music collections of up to 25,000 songs for $24.99 per year. The service will scan users' personal music libraries, including songs obtained from ripped CDs or other locations, and match them up with tracks sold on the iTunes Store.

iTunes Match subscribers will be able to re-download any of their matched songs on other enabled devices, including iPhones and iPads. Those downloads will be 256Kbps AAC files, even if the original user-owned files are of lower quality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm thinking will go live this week.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    I need iTunes Match more than anything and at $25 per year it is a steal. This is not US-only is it?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Because that still doesn't work with Leopard, a 4-year old, native OS.

But it works with XP... a ten-year old, non-native OS.

Very disrespectful of their Mac customers.

Especially since Snow Leopard broke so many drivers, and Lion loses the ability to run PPC executables... they basically ensured that it would be very unwise to upgrade to Snow Leopard or Lion for users with heavy investments in older software and drivers, then locked them out of compatibility with their IOS devices.

Someone at Apple needs a wake-up call.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I need iTunes Match more than anything and at $25 per year it is a steal. This is not US-only is it?

I seem to recall it is just US, to start with at any rate. All to do with licensing agreements i think. No doubt I will be corrected if I am wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Especially since Snow Leopard broke so many drivers, and Lion loses the ability to run PPC executables... they basically ensured that it would be very unwise to upgrade to Snow Leopard or Lion for users with heavy investments in older software and drivers, then locked them out of compatibility with their IOS devices.

If you buy a copy of Snowleopard Server it runs in VMWare in Lion very well. You can ignore all the dedicated server apps and won't know it from regular SL. An expensive work around to be sure but worth being aware of. I haven't tried Leopard Server yet, I suspect VMWare won't allow that to install.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Quote:

I don't use Leopard anymore, but I agree with you.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:

It will be slow in coming. It is rarely effective to point these sorts of things out when a company is making huge profits.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It will be slow in coming. It is rarely effective to point these sorts of things out when a company is making huge profits.

On one thread people complain that Apple is "forcing" users to upgrade and then on this one we get complaints that is "forcing" users to stay on old setups. You can't please all of the people some of the time; forget about all of the time.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Probably works in Windows 95 too. Windows is pretty much the same. They just give it a new name and make it look a little more like OS X with each new release.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Yes. US only.

The record/movie companies are crazy. They don't want to make money.

For example: Movies was introduced in iTunes a couple of weeks ago here in Sweden.

Same with Siri: it only works good in English and is useless outside US/France/Germany.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    $25 each and every year. I might consider paying it once, but not every year. I've already paid good money for Audio-CDs which I've ripped to iTunes. I'm not going to continually pay again every single year. This $25 yearly fee is for those folks that stole their music. Honest purchasers of CD's are being punished. I think I'll just avoid iTunes Match.

Sorry for whining.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

$25 each and every year. I might consider paying it once, but not every year. I've already paid good money for Audio-CDs which I've ripped to iTunes. I'm not going to continually pay again every single year. This $25 yearly fee is for those folks that stole their music. Honest purchasers of CD's are being punished. I think I'll just avoid iTunes Match.

Sorry for whining.

Oh, no; you're not. You're exactly making the point that Apple, for legal and PR reasons, doesn't explicitly make.

It truly is insane for people who've bought their own music, either through iTunes or ripped from CDs, to pay yearly to listen to it. This is also why I simply laughed at Microsoft's Zune plans. What were they, $15 a MONTH for an all-you-can-hear buffet of music you don't actually own, and if you stop paying monthly you lost access to it?

It's crazy. But iTunes Match is great… for pirates. As long as they're not audiophile-pirates (), they get higher-quality files and listening access anywhere and the studios get a cut. It's a win-winslightlyless.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Probably would have considered the Match when it was promised in October and would have wanted to be the first one on my block. Now, think I will wait a while after it is eventually made available and see if this is another Mobile Me or something that is really worth paying an annual subscription for.

After all the fan fare in October and the contunuing concerns being leaked by Beta Beta Beta testers it is starting to raise lots of questions about the value of this product. Perhaps Beta Beta Beta Beta Beta Beta will produce more favorable reviews.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Sorry for whining.

Less than 50c a week to clear up much needed space on my 16GB iPhone 4.

Seems well worth it.

I can reinstall some of the Apps I had to delete.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously you can't expect every Apple service to be the ideal solution to your needs.

You frame the service as a feature for people that have stolen their music. In part I believe that is a mistake. Rather I see it as a way for Apple to get a little income out of what would otherwise be a drain. Just because a feature is free does not mean it is cost free, somebody has to pick up the bill.

In any event it is best to wait and see exactly what is being offered anyways. It is like the people that get wrapped up in pre-release device speculation and then get disappointed with what is actually released. Base your opinions on what is real and simply enjoy the speculation for what it is.

Quote:

Sorry for whining.

• Reply 16 of 56
    It won't matter in the grand scheme of things if iTunes Match is a few weeks late....as long as it works. If they had launched on Halloween with a bunch of bugs, then we'd all be screaming and rightfully so. It's always better to be late than wrong.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Apple seems to be testing this so much they don't want any issues with a paid service that can backfire on them if there comes any major issues.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Nope. You need to decide if you want to run legacy software, or upgrade your software and hardware every five years or so. If u want the latest technologies, u need to get the latest technology. It really is that simple.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Nope. You need to decide if you want to run legacy software, or upgrade your software and hardware every five years or so. If u want the latest technologies, u need to get the latest technology. It really is that simple.

Unless "u" "r" a Windows user, in which case we'll indulge "u".....
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:

Easy. Just keep using your StarTac.