More than anything, kids want Apple's iPad, iPod touch & iPhone for Christmas

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    My kids are 3 1/2 and 6. My wife has a first gen iPad in the Apple case. The kids are always extremely careful w/it when they are allowed to use it and they have to come to us to get it unlocked. It is always put up somewhere safe when they're done with it and they have a great time w/it. My wife and I will both probably be getting the iPad 3 in the spring and the girls will get the first gen. I'm not worried at all.
  • Reply 82 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Get a life. Not funny at all. Is this the boys club here?

I don't get the comic at all. Not living in NYC, I googled and found 23rd st to Central Park is 33 blocks. What is the funny part about the comic and why the boys club comment?
  • Reply 83 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I don't get the comic at all. Not living in NYC, I googled and found 23rd st to Central Park is 33 blocks. What is the funny part about the comic and why the boys club comment?

I believe it's 'sexist' or 'leaning toward a male audience'.

She apparently exposed herself for the 33 blocks of the parade because she didn't wear panties out.
  • Reply 84 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Any parent getting their kids a non-iPad tablet doesn't really love their children.

Good parents want their children to have the best, and getting them some cheap, inferior crap is not getting them the best. The kids will know that their parents are cheapskates.

If I was still a kid and my parents had the nerve to get me a non-iPad for the holidays, I would be mighty pissed and disappointed in my parents. Even if I had siblings, I'd rather share an iPad than have some little piece of shit tablet all to myself that is basically useless.

Oh so true. Thanks to a link from another poster, I spent an hour on YouTube looking at babies and toddlers using an iPad. Even cats.

What I saw just freaked me out. Gonna buy the grandkids a couple more iPads, when the 3 comes out likely. Just watching how quickly even a four month old baby understands and is enthralled by the iPad, is amazing. I saw a baby trying to use touch gestures on a magazine over and over (something I'm doing myself these days!).

Kids are learning piano, math, drawing you name it they really get this device. I have a parent with Alzheimer's who can use the iPad, now thats an easy interface.

The schools should be developing for the iPad. An iPad for every home. Wow. What an old fart I was to think iPad was too expensive to entrust to children. Yes, they need to be monitored until they understand not to beat it up, but children deserve the iPad more than the rest of us.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Well, the old lady holding the underpants? Meaning she marched in that skimpy outfit how many blocks with no underwear? Looked like a playboy joke.
  • Reply 86 of 93
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Well, the old lady holding the underpants? Meaning she marched in that skimpy outfit how many blocks with no underwear? Looked like a playboy joke.

Yeah I thought it looked like a Playboy joke too, but it just wasn't clicking today. Still not really funny. I don't see the sexist thing, it could have been a Scotsman wearing a kilt w/no boxers after all
  • Reply 87 of 93
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Beware, parents, think twice about buying an ipad or any tablet for your children, especially for kids under 9 when the eyes are still developing and plastic.

Children do not have self control. They will overuse the device. There is no study on the effect of long term use of LCD on children's eyes. However, there are clear scientific evidences that much near work for children will tend to cause nearsightedness.

http://www.aoa.org/x4688.xml#1

"Individuals who spend considerable time reading, working at a computer, or doing other intense close visual work may be more likely to develop nearsightedness."
  • Reply 88 of 93
    And to think I was happy with a cardboard box, kitchen knife and scotch tape.
  • Reply 89 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Any parent getting their kids a non-iPad tablet doesn't really love their children.

Good parents want their children to have the best, and getting them some cheap, inferior crap is not getting them the best. The kids will know that their parents are cheapskates.

If I was still a kid and my parents had the nerve to get me a non-iPad for the holidays, I would be mighty pissed and disappointed in my parents. Even if I had siblings, I'd rather share an iPad than have some little piece of shit tablet all to myself that is basically useless.

And that is the problem with kids today.

They`re basically useless.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    I still want my Power Rangers Megazord my mom still hasn't gotten my in '96 or my Gameboy color. These kids don't get their iPads until I get what I WANTED!
  • Reply 91 of 93
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can an iPad be a persons only computer ?? first computer??

most have iTunes on another computer to sync

how to get music from cd to iPad with no other computer

many people are asking this of me

yes i am experienced apple guy....don't flame me for this question

i think that if all your music is purchased from iTunes no prob

but

what strategy would you offer someone that this would be their first computer

say grandma and others

they see that $500 and get an apple product is a deal
  • Reply 92 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

can an iPad be a persons only computer ?? first computer??

As of iOS 5, yes.

Quote:

how to get music from cd to iPad with no other computer

Impossible. That's where the iTunes store comes in.

"But I don't want to buy all my music again!"

Exactly. No one should have to. Buy a full computer.

Quote:

what strategy would you offer someone that this would be their first computer

say grandma and others

Things you can't do on an iPad: Flash (who flipping cares), removable media, manage stored files without jailbreaking.

Things you can do on an iPad: Absolutely everything else.
  • Reply 93 of 93
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so after much research you can't connect a port powered cd player by usb to the iPad

no way to get cd music to iPad without another computer

so for a first computer it does 99% of what people with their first computer does

great for grandma

great for children

great for all understanding the above limitations

it will be huge with iOS 5