Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Comments

• Reply 181 of 273
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Get more creative Sammy if all you have are wide screen and 4G network.
  • Reply 182 of 273
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    There are a lot of phones with large displays this is nothing unique to the Galaxy S II. This gives no reason why one should choose the Galaxy over any other phone with a large display.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) The display size being bigger :This doesn't tell you how good the display is or the user experience. The former customers (as a whole) will likely never understand, the latter they will understand after the fact. Not bad a angle for the ad. It looks good and is a direct attack against the iPhone, not its customers.

• Reply 183 of 273
    It's good to finally see a smart and quite funny ad from Samsung, even if it does take some cheep shots. Clearly they've stepped things up by hiring a top tier ad agency. The gloves are definitely off, and it'll be fun to see just how far Samsung will go with this agressive new campaign. If it is a campaign.

It's also interesting to see how Apple, now being the world's most valuable tech company and most profitable handset maker, is being attacked where not so long ago nobody bothered because they were an underdog.

Samsung is right to get aggressive. Mobile tech is a cut throat industry and Apple went from a non-entity to the dominant player in just 4 years. And they did this with the one-two pinch of the iPhone and iPad. Both were game changers.

As Samsung and Google haven't demonstrated Apple's ability to innovate on a game-changing level, they need these type of aggressive ads to push any mild differentiation their products offer. In this case the Galaxy S II's larger screen and LTE radio are the only meaningful differentiators.

I doubt Apple is losing any sleep over ads like this since they sell the top 3 handsets on the market, and I don't think Apple will bother to respond with similar attack ads, despite Samsung and especially Android are such easy targets (copycat tech, unstable, fragmented, full of malware etc). For the past 4 years, Apple's doing être,EKG well with their ads that highlight their products' positives in clear, organized, and persistent campaigns, so I expect that to continue for some time.

Am I impressed with the Samsung Galaxy S II? Personally, no. I have a good friend who has one and played with it quite a bit to conclude that it's just "me too" technology. But I like that companies like Samsung are really turning up the heat. It's great for competition and for consumers, even if Google and Samsung resorted to outright IP theft to get there (and may ultimately fall apart because of it).

As for Apple, being the world's most innovative and successful tech company means they will be attacked well and attacked often. It's part of being the top dog, and from the looks of how the competition is reacting, Apple will stay on top for quite some time.

As for Samsung, I really do hope they try to innovate more and copy less. Sadly I just don't think it's I their corporate DNA.
  • Reply 184 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

They woulda done better with the attena gate issue. I updated somone's 4S in my house and now they are mad at me because the battery life went down. But mine got better......

So it's not universal. And at least it was acknolege.

SAMSUNG YOU STILL DIDN'T FIX THE GPS ON MY VIBRANT. I REMEMBER THAT.

The solution is on Android Market (free) from long time ago... a simple file to download.
  • Reply 185 of 273
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Get more creative Sammy if all you have are wide screen and 4G network.

It's gotten your attention enough to comment on it and is spreading viral through out mainstream media.

This ad is going to spread like wild flower among Apple fans too, making its goal to be achieved even quicker.

It's even hitting the big screen.

Quote:

"A 60-second television spot will also air during the Thanksgiving-day NFL games on FOX and CBS, with kick-off times at 12:30pm ET and 4:15pm ET, respectively. The ad will also run on Saturday during televised college football. 15- and 30-second versions of the ad will run on the major broadcast and cable networks from now until Christmas Day.

• Reply 186 of 273
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I think the ad failed because it tried to make too many points.

1. Standing in line

2. Battery issues

3. Big Screen

4. Barista joke

5. 4G

Along with the other points that members have commented such as insulting your potential customers, etc.

The difference between the I'm a Mac ads and this ad is that there was more contrast. Young hip dude with a life vs. older fuddy-duddy corporate pie chart presenter. In the Samsung ad you have one set of fashionable modern young people vs. other fashionable modern young people.

Clearly the reason no one stands in line for Android releases is because there is a new phone released every couple weeks. Android users just go get the latest phone anytime they need a new one. They seldom wait in anticipation for the next release.

I wonder how many Android users actually keep their phone through the entire 2 year contract compared to iPhone users. I think iPhone users upgrade early for fun where the Android users upgrade early because of something negative about their current phone.
  • Reply 187 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

It's gotten your attention enough to comment on it and is spreading viral through out mainstream media.

This ad is going to spread like wild flower among Apple fans too, making its goal to be achieved even quicker.

It's even hitting the big screen.

Big screen=Movie theaters, TV=Small Screen. Sorry bro
  • Reply 188 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.

There sure are a lot of people who don't get it.

Here is the pattern:

3G upgraded to 3GS (they looked the same)

4 upgraded to 4S (they looked the same)

If you owned a 3G then the 4 was an awesome upgrade, a leap!

If you owed a 3GS then the 4S is an awesome upgrade, a leap!

Because of 2 year contract agreements, Apple doesn't jump out with new form factors every year, they do so every other year. The pattern is clear and as a 3GS owner, I am very excited about getting the 4S form factor soon!

If you are not excited about the 4S, you are either a 4 owner who is still a year away from being able to upgrade without a penalty, or you are a droid troll trying to cause trouble about something you just don't get.

(The barista joke was a good one, major LOL. However to be fair, even barista's can be creative. And if you buy into the out of work actor stereotype, a large percentage of barista's could very well be creative types. Samsung is just insulting potential customers, not good business in my opinion.)
  • Reply 189 of 273
    If you really study the commercial it is right.

There is a whole queue of people waiting for an iPhone and 2 people with a Galaxy (whatever the release model is this month).

Yes it has a bigger screen.... to display the terrible software on.

The main difference is, Samsung release a new monthly phone and then you are left with it.

Apple probably released an update during the time it took them to queue for the iPhone

9 hours in a queue is nothing if you have a previous iPhone. I could lose half of that just playing Space Miner. Is there 9 hours of entertainment downloadable for the Galaxy? They couldn't queue for that long, they'd download a virus infected app and go back to their (Mum's) house to recover it.

"blogs say the battery looks sketchy"

and Apple will sort the minority problems with an update. Updates for Android that aren't a totally new revision and work on the phone that had a previous version....anyone? Didn't think so.

"if it looks the same how will people know I have upgraded".

Seriously! People buy Apple products for the unrivalled functionality and connectivity between the other Apple products. They don't buy them to impress other people.

"why don't you get a 4G phone"

because it's just a marketing ploy, it doesn't really mean anything.

Also outright speed doesn't make it usable or even nice to use.

The reason the iPhone 4S wasn't that much of an update is because it didn't need that much of an update. If they didn't release the 4S then the iPhone 4 would still be the best phone available.
  • Reply 190 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.

You use the word "failure" to describe the fastest selling iPhone yet. Exactly what does "success" look like?
  • Reply 191 of 273
    The worst thing you can do with advertising is insult the people you want to become your consumer. Making people happy who never were going to buy an Apple product anyway is about the biggest waste of advertising dollars possible. By advertising standards, it's a terrible ad.

According to the standards of those who dislike Apple, it's terrific.
  • Reply 192 of 273
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixnaHalfFeet View Post

Samsung is just insulting potential customers, not good business in my opinion.)

There's probably a very small percentage of actual Apple fans who would consider any other platform unless it's unavoidable. Samsung wasn't targeting any Apple owners as potential customers.

That some fanatics would be insulted by Samsung's commercial is no surprise, but overall I think even most fanboys would find it amusing. Who doesn't personally know an Apple owner who thinks they're "too creative" for anything but Apple?
  • Reply 193 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's probably a very small percentage of actual Apple fans who would consider any other platform unless it's unavoidable. Samsung wasn't targeting any Apple owners as potential customers.

That some fanatics would be insulted by Samsung's commercial is no surprise, but overall I think even most fanboys would find it amusing. Who doesn't personally know an Apple owner who thinks they're "too creative" for anything but Apple?

I can just see the rebellion of the legions of Baristas. I'm selling buttons "I'm a Barista and I have an iPhone!" Maybe they shouldn't have insulted an occupation that has direct personal daily contact with a huge portion of the population.

In other news Starbucks offers grief counseling for employees.
  • Reply 194 of 273
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Au contraire ami. He just said Apple. He never refered to spefific sectors and whatnots.

Samsung translation: We wish this were us.
  • Reply 195 of 273
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Yeah. okay.
  • Reply 196 of 273
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's your definition thereof?

How? All context remains as links to the quoted posts. Thinking that context is somehow added by having a bunch of posts in a row is silly.

I am used to NNTP software using a shell. I used to use TIN. Using good software, the data can be displayed any way you like. By date, as is done here, by thread, etc.

Especially nice would be some way to kill threads that you don't want to see - by poster, by keyword, by the fact that they respond to a particular post or poster.
  • Reply 197 of 273
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This epitomizes why this ad fails. The focus is on if Apple users are insulted or not. Instead of actually on whether the ad convinced anyone of actually buying or using the Galaxy S II.

Quote:

• Reply 198 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I am used to NNTP software using a shell. I used to use TIN. Using good software, the data can be displayed any way you like. By date, as is done here, by thread, etc.

Especially nice would be some way to kill threads that you don't want to see - by poster, by keyword, by the fact that they respond to a particular post or poster.

You do realize that the AI forum is vBulletin right?

If there is another forum package you like better then please make a recommendation and also detail the migration roadmap for preserving all of the users accounts, posts and threads for historical reference.

Or perhaps are you suggesting that AI spend thousands to create a custom forum with built in features specifically designed to facilitate trolling.
  • Reply 199 of 273
    Well it is obvious that Samsung started this just prior to the holiday shopping frenzy, iPhone has overall consideration rate within consumers and is gaining market share within the business enterprise. In our company alone they replaced every single highly expensive business telephone with a iPhone docked into a ifusion smart station running Cisco mobile app. I now have one devise for all my personal and business communications needs. They told us all the power saving alone in one year from the old desk phone paid for the entire project. Nobody at this point can come close to this however please try for us consumers really enjoy all the new and innovated products developed from the spirit of competition.
  • Reply 200 of 273
    The 4S is far from a disappointment. If you spent June-October harking over iPhone redesign rumors, prayed/put your money on it then you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.