Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Comments

• Reply 41 of 273
    Good ad. That's what a good ad agency can do for you.
  • Reply 42 of 273
    Good ad.

Just because it's anti-Apple doesn't make it automatically bad.
  • Reply 43 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

They had fun and Microsofts expense on the "I"m a Mac" commercials but if I remember correctly they typically covered things like "yes office runs on a Mac" or shed light on the absence of virus on the platform. There was a message behind the humor. Making fun of people in line waiting for a product says what?

It shows the ridiculousness of waiting for a phone that will be obselete in a few years. You must not know there's a market for people who are opposed ot that. Some people just want to get a phone. That's the message their trying to send. What don't you get about that?I don't think Samsung's adds were funny nor very informative as plenty of phones have a huge screen and 4G. Why exactly should I buy a Samsung over any other model? They couldn't answer that.

Should they have to? By that logic, why should I get an iPhone?

Go pull the sales numbers for the iPad before you start calling "magical and revolutionary" a mythical concept. I'm afraid the data supports that the iPad "is" a bit of a revolution.

It's not magical. You act like Android is depened on whimiscal concepts, but where's your evidence? Sales numbers doesn't make something magical. Yes having a huge screen is popular for Apple fans as well which is why many of us bought iPads rather than some tweener (too big to be comfy phone to small to be a tablet)

That's a red herring. Your solution to getting a bigger screen is to get another device? Why can't I just play on my TV (Airplay?) and skip all together? Again, it's a need that's being filled. The iPad is NOT a phone.

I'm for choice though and I wouldn't mind seeing a 4" iPhone but I think few people really want to see a 4.5" iPhone or larger.

And Samsung doesn't just have a 4.5'' phone. They also have 3.5'', 4'', 4.65'' phones.

Siri pretty much obviates my need for a larger keyboard as it's voice recognition is pretty damn fantastic for my needs.

I get a lot of Siri can't connect to server messages lately. But not everyone wants to use the voice, so again, you are trying to apply your experience universally. That can happen. A market that fits a need. Humans have unlimited wants.

• Reply 44 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

dude.. lay off the glue.

It's scented markers. How many times to I 've to 'splain?
  • Reply 45 of 273
    I'm an iPhone user and I thought the ad was pretty funny!
  • Reply 46 of 273
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Sure, the Sammy looks good by itself. It's when you go to use it that it's lameness is revealed. That's why you won't see anyone standing in line for it.
  • Reply 47 of 273
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    So its a nice looking Phone. I guess if I wasn't a Macintosh user I might have bought that phone. But since I am a Macintosh user I like how my iPhone 4 syncs with my Mac Pro. I like how I have some features that are solely Apple.

One thing about the ad is that Samsung is trying to make Apple users or iPhone wanters (as you may say) lame and stupid. They are depicted as lemmings blindly following Apple into the i device a bis. Insulting other people in an add just creates distaste and creates division. In my opinion we as a society don't need division. We should have tolerance for other technology and those who use it. Making some one look stupid because they are an apple user (dude your a barista) is wrong. If a friend of mine bought an android Phone I would not be critical of him for having one.
  • Reply 48 of 273
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    At the end of the ad they put the GAYE looking (Korean?) dude, complete with a sweater tied around his neck a-la 1982 (lol), getting into his limo and nonchalantly exhorting "You should get a Samsung". Hahaha, man, how embarrassingly not tongue-in-cheek and dated.

After being exposed in multiple international courts as guilty of blatantly trying to copy everything from Apple, from the look and function of the software to the exterior design itself, they're now trying to win over Apple users by publicly mocking them? Wow, the stupidity and marketing sense of these guys is laughable.

Not to state the obvious, but I guess not many people wait in lines outside shops to buy their crud. There's probably a simple reason for this which goes something like: Samdung products exude the originality and quality of pablum-soaked K-pop, so Thanks but no thanks. Samsung, your desperation is showing.
  • Reply 49 of 273
    Insulting and making fun of people is not a good way selling them your product.

Samsung could never get people to line up and get excited about their products so they decide to make fun of a company that brings excitement, loyalty, and culture to their products.
  • Reply 50 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Apple like this kind of commercial.

"Get a Mac"(Mac vs PC) ad mock PC users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSHJfPWxs8

Get A Mac ads were not attacking customers, they were attacking the product. You may think there is no difference between Samsung directly making fun of Apple customers waiting in line and an actor portraying a poorly engineered and constructed machine, but these ads are night and day.
  • Reply 51 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Insulting other people in an add just creates distaste and creates division.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvloPFYocw
  • Reply 52 of 273
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    ha!

in other news...google axes seven products today. in previous news, android malware development on the rise.

gotta love that 'open source', altruistic google.
  • Reply 53 of 273
    Wow... that was actually kind of funny, and I even watched it on an iPad.

To be truly brilliant it needs to be a campaign though, not just a one-off ad.

Just like Apple used the "I'm a Mac" campaign to try and enforce the stereotype that PC users are slow, out of touch and old Samsung could try and enforce the stereotype that Apple fanboys are self absorbed, douche-y hipsters.

That's going to appeal to their audience better than killer robots.
  • Reply 54 of 273
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Have to admit the video's pretty funny. But even funnier would be one of Samsung Galaxy owners in a Verizon Store, because there is nothing funnier than three lines of ten people with smoke shooting out of their ears.
  • Reply 55 of 273
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

:It shows the ridiculousness of waiting for a phone that will be obselete in a few years. You must not know there's a market for people who are opposed ot that. Some people just want to get a phone. That's the message their trying to send. What don't you get about that?:

There's nothing to get about it. Passion isn't something you find ..it finds you. Fans passionate about Apple or Android will be there to guarantee their delivery of what they love. Samsung would have no objections to these lines if they were purchasing Galaxy phones which is why it's pointless for them to tease.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1

Should they have to? By that logic, why should I get an iPhone?It's not magical. You act like Android is depened on whimiscal concepts, but where's your evidence? Sales numbers doesn't make something magical.

Logic would likely follow the same path as statistics. Higher sales means that across a statistical groups "Device A" likely met the quotient of desired features than "Device B". Since opinions are your own and do not need to be substantiated through factual evidence you may opine about what is magical or revolutionary to the nth degree. However Samsung and plenty of other companies would love to deposit the cash that Apple is with the same frequency.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1

I get a lot of Siri can't connect to server messages lately. But not everyone wants to use the voice, so again, you are trying to apply your experience universally. That can happen. A market that fits a need. Humans have unlimited wants.

No that's why I was careful to put in "my needs". You could have a speech impediment that prevents accurate voice dictation. Siri is just another input modality that we have as an option. Apple TV is another method for streaming video content easily. Some will prefer a mini tablet in their pocket and some won't. Choice is good but I realize why Apple's sticking with 3.5 screens for now.
  • Reply 56 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The 4S is in no way a disappointment.

Media makes it seem that way, but holy shit I love my 4S

No, it is a failure, it's a real disappointment.

It's the first time Apple have released a new phone that isn't better than the competition. I view that as a massive failure.

For Apple to let Samsung leapfrog them to now have the best product in a market that Apple CREATED is a real shame, I've used an S2 lately and I much prefer the larger screen, still can't believe Apple didn't deliver a better product.
  • Reply 57 of 273
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Sure, the Sammy looks good by itself. It's when you go to use it that it's lameness is revealed. That's why you won't see anyone standing in line for it.

Exactly.
  • Reply 58 of 273
    Ummm .. does anyone here even know that what is being advertised as "4G" is a standard that has yet to be even ratified? Present versions of what is being advertised as "4G" uses something known as "HSPA+", which is actually part of "High-end 3G"? (Apple actually presented this fact when they introduced the 4S; They did not commit to using the "4G" reference, but did say that it uses HSPA+, and is 'as fast as anything else that is currently being sold'); Try looking at a device from AT&T Wireless on the Web. You will in fact see "4G*", and in reading the fine legal print at the bottom of the page which the * is a reference to, you will see the explanation that what is actually being used is a version of HSPA+, which technically, is not "4G".) Take a look at the last 5 paragraphs in the section "Requirements" in the article about 4G at Wikipedia. It will make you think (and also wonder how the entire industry has been able to claim that they are offering something for sale that is not even available yet; the standard is likely not to be ratified until about 2013) .. take a look at the last 5 paragraphs in the "Requirements" section, beginning with "Present Implementations of .. " here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Requirements

What this means, for the most part I think, is that any device being sold currently that is being touted as "4G", and whenever and whatever the "next iPhone (insert version number here)" delivers, unless it is introduced sometime well into 2013 .. it will not be a true "4G" device".
  • Reply 59 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

What this means, for the most part I think, is that any device being sold currently that is being touted as "4G", and whenever and whatever the "next (insert version number here) iPhone" delivers, unless it is introduced sometime well into 2013 .. it will not be a true "4G" device".

The current iPhone is 5G, as in the 5th generation iPhone. See what I did there? A cardinal number followed by the letter 'G' isn't a regulated standard so they can call it whatever the hell they want, they just can't say it's "4G as defined by the ITU-R".
  • Reply 60 of 273
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

No, it is a failure, it's a real disappointment.

It's the first time Apple have released a new phone that isn't better than the competition. I view that as a massive failure.

For Apple to let Samsung leapfrog them to now have the best product in a market that Apple CREATED is a real shame, I've used an S2 lately and I much prefer the larger screen, still can't believe Apple didn't deliver a better product.

This is "your" opinion. So it is a failure to you and a disappointment to you. If Flash-Breezy likes his iPhone 4s that carries as much weight as your opinion. No amount of repeating the same thing over and over is going to change that.