Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Comments

• Reply 121 of 273
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

What are you tripping on?

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...-ask-siri.html

Jeez, will people stop responding to obvious trolls? Anyone claiming that the 4S is an utter failure or disaster after the initial massive launch sales is a freaking obvious troll. I don't care if you actually have a real beef with the 4S or Apple. Only an obvious troll would STILL call it a disaster.

If there's any freaking doubt just look at his other flamebait postings.

OMFG people, just adding trolls to the ignore list is annoying enough without multiple reposts via quotes.

linkgx1 may or may not be an obvious troll but his sig and 520 posts since a join date of October 2011 and the questionable bs on this thread earned him a quick addition to my ignore list. This place is still infested by trolling and frankly I ignore pretty damn quick these days. The S/N ratio sucks otherwise. I'm sure that while the mods are pretty quick to slap anantksundaram with an infraction point (for saying shut up? really?), anthropic will escape the ban hammer for months.

And no dude, Samsung doesn't have $343B as TBell pointed out. That's total assets not cash.

For 09 their total assets were $294B with $182B in total liabilities. And that's for the entire Samsung group...including the all the subsidiaries like the ones that make oil rigs. Samsung Electronics is about $124B worth of total assets with about $44B worth of total liabilities.

Apple couldn't actually afford to buy Samsung (Group or Electronics) but it sure would be funny to see an Apple branded oil rig made by Apple Heavy Industries. Or a big assed LNG tanker.

iTanker...coming to an Apple store near you.

Amusingly you can also factually state that Samsung is building Utopia...
  • Reply 122 of 273
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You do know the difference between opinion and fact, do you not?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

No, it is a failure, it's a real disappointment.

It's the first time Apple have released a new phone that isn't better than the competition. I view that as a massive failure.

For Apple to let Samsung leapfrog them to now have the best product in a market that Apple CREATED is a real shame, I've used an S2 lately and I much prefer the larger screen, still can't believe Apple didn't deliver a better product.

• Reply 123 of 273
    This ad totally made me decide to change to Android, I mean Samsung.
  • Reply 124 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... But it had the Hoodie Girl:

Looks like Hoodie Girl has had some work done under her hood.
  • Reply 125 of 273
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

BI: Is the goal of the campaign to get iPhone users to switch or pull in people buying a smartphone for the first time?

Wallace: We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsu...#ixzz1eV6fUOmX

"BI: What about the Galaxy Nexus? Isn't that supposed to be your flagship phone this year?

Pendleton: They're both a big thing. Right now the GSII is the main lead product. GSII is a great product for us and we feel it's the best smartphone on the market today. There will be future work on the Galaxy Nexus next year."

Really? That must be making Google happy. I guess the Nexus really does have a couple hardware faults being corrected.

The only Samsung I'm vaguely interested in is the Focus S but I'm a lot more likely to wait for the Nokia in spring.
  • Reply 126 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Rumor: At CES Samsung will introduce its voice-controlled personal assistant dubbed Samsung Integrated Response Interface.

That's funny.
  • Reply 127 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

And the Samsung Galaxy user said to the iPhone user: "Wouldn't you love to have a TV with a keypad to carry around in your pocket, except this beast won't fit in your pocket."

And the iPhone user says: "No thanks, I'll keep my iPhone."

It's as simple as that.

Advertising is effective when it sells an idea, a state of mind, a feeling, a bliss.

This ad by Samsung sells jealousy. It is not only a waste of money, but it does the opposite of what it should do. And they have to pay the firm that produced that crap? What a rip.

ummm did we watch the same ad?

how exactly does this sell jealousy?
  • Reply 128 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

This commercial just proves that Samsung is junk. Nobody's buying them, that's why you can get them whenever you want without standing in line for it. So in making fun of people in line for the iPhone, SamSUNK just proved to the consumer that their SamJUNK devices are plentiful on the shelves collecting dust.

By your logic Twilight is better than Fight Club.

Just sayin.
  • Reply 129 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Yeah, who like it when significant upgrade but look the same on the outside? Third party manufacturers of accessories etc. That's how you keep the profitable ecosystem thriving for months to come. And did they just suggest unchanged design is bad when they can't even design their own without copying or pasting recognisable OSX/iOS icons all over their stores?

Pah!

Those icons weren't Samsungs...of the hundreds of blatant copying things Samsung can be shown to do you picked the one that isn't.
  • Reply 130 of 273
    Will this work like Motorola mocking white earbud Apple drone buyers with Moto's Super Bowl Xoom commercial? That was a huge success. Stop mocking Apple and just do your thing. Or is it they're also simply jealous no one waits in lines for their phones? Jealous ones envy.
  • Reply 131 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

What he says explicitly contradicts what we see on screen.

how?

(basing this on the snippet Apple ][ posted...if there are weasely comments in the article I'll edit this post when I get to reading it (reading and replying to comments now))

addition: yea...nothing contradictory there.
  • Reply 132 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Jeez, will people stop responding to obvious trolls? Anyone claiming that the 4S is an utter failure or disaster after the initial massive launch sales is a freaking obvious troll. I don't care if you actually have a real beef with the 4S or Apple. Only an obvious troll would STILL call it a disaster.

If there's any freaking doubt just look at his other flamebait postings.

OMFG people, just adding trolls to the ignore list is annoying enough without multiple reposts via quotes.

linkgx1 may or may not be an obvious troll but his sig and 520 posts since a join date of October 2011 and the questionable bs on this thread earned him a quick addition to my ignore list. This place is still infested by trolling and frankly I ignore pretty damn quick these days. The S/N ratio sucks otherwise. I'm sure that while the mods are pretty quick to slap anantksundaram with an infraction point (for saying shut up? really?), anthropic will escape the ban hammer for months.

And no dude, Samsung doesn't have $343B as TBell pointed out. That's total assets not cash.

For 09 their total assets were $294B with $182B in total liabilities. And that's for the entire Samsung group...including the all the subsidiaries like the ones that make oil rigs. Samsung Electronics is about $124B worth of total assets with about $44B worth of total liabilities.

Apple couldn't actually afford to buy Samsung (Group or Electronics) but it sure would be funny to see an Apple branded oil rig made by Apple Heavy Industries. Or a big assed LNG tanker.

iTanker...coming to an Apple store near you.

Amusingly you can also factually state that Samsung is building Utopia...

A lot of you here have an odd definition of trolling.
  • Reply 133 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Will this work like Motorola mocking white earbud Apple drone buyers with Moto's Super Bowl Xoom commercial? That was a huge success. Stop mocking Apple and just do your thing. Or is it they're also simply jealous no one waits in lines for their phones? Jealous ones envy.

Eh, this commercial was lightyears better than that Xoom ad (ANY Xoom ad at that)

It was simple...effective...showed an Apple bias but didn't have any of the Samsung users actually diss Apple. Etc.

Like someone else said though in order for this to be actually effective they should make this a campaign of sorts...a one off commercial will do nothing but drum up internet debates like these.
  • Reply 134 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

BI: Is the goal of the campaign to get iPhone users to switch or pull in people buying a smartphone for the first time?

Wallace: We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsu...#ixzz1eV6fUOmX

Haha! Here's my favorite quote:

Quote:

Pendleton: We've already done a great job at promoting the Galaxy S II from Samsung's point of view. Now we want to show the voice of the consumer and play into the conversations and debate going on in a real way.

So what they're saying in effect is, "let's go out to the Intarwebs, find out what the 'debate' is, and give voice to the 'consumers' (*ahem* trolls) and their rhetoric"? Really??? So right now, some Samsung marketing exec like Todd Pendleton is reading forums like AppleInsider where troll vs fanboy battles are being waged, and scraping the bottom of the rhetorical argument barrel for their next ad?
  • Reply 135 of 273
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.

Go back to the page that you linked and read one more time that they have $343b.

Can't blame you if you can't understand what was written there.
  • Reply 136 of 273
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I have a Vibrant and a iPhone 4S. To be honest, I like the sound on my Vibrant better. How is it a POS? I love the Super AMOLED screen with it's infinite black color and home the tech will be on TVs real soon. I also haven't had any burn in. BEAUTIFUL display (lacks retina sharpness though). I also have a plasma tv...no burn in.

Also, you are not making any sense. You tell me to go where the high end headphones are, but to plug them into my phone (at an Apple store?). I'm not seeing your point....

In an Apple store they have headphones plugged into iPhones and iPods that you can listen to, you can unplug them and plug them into your own phone, any phone with a 3.5mm socket.

The sound from the Galaxy 2 line is pitiful.

Reviews agree.

Quote:

The Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II might have lost a mm around the waist, but it certainly hasn't lost its voice. The performance of the smartphone in our audio quality test is pretty good overall and it's really impressive in the active external amplifier part.

So when the Galaxy S I9100 has no resistance applied to its line-out it got excellent scores all over. There are really no weak points to its performance here and since its pretty loud too we are left with no other option but to give it an excellent mark.

Things aren't as impressive when you plug-in a pair of headphones. Stereo crosstalk, which increases rapidly, volume levels decrease and intermodulation distortion starts creeping in. The general result is still decent, but we've certainly seen better here.

Source

Quote:

If you want to have the best possible audio output on your cell phone get an iPhone. The rule has always been as simple as that and the iPhone 4S is no exception to it. The new iOS smartphone did great in both the headphones off and headphones on parts of our test, achieving some pretty great scores and remaining impressively loud all the time.

In the first trial (connected to an active external amplifier), the iPhone 4S performed marvelously, but that's hardly a surprise. Even less talented smartphone musicians can get good scores here, so we couldn't expected anything less than perfect from the iPod descendant.

What really puts the iPhone 4S in a class of its own (not counting its predecessors, of course) is its headphones-on performance. The minor jump in stereo crosstalk is all that our lab equipment was able to detect as the resistance to the line-out port increased. The rest of the readings remained virtually unchanged, rounding up a really impressive performance.

Source
  • Reply 137 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Question is... who's the target audience for the ad?

It's not us line-waiting iPhone lovers. They couldn't possibly think this ad would lure passionate Apple enthusiasts away from the iPhone with it.

It's not Googlier-than-thou Android lovers either - they've already got those guys. It's gotta be some in between, "want a cool phone but don't understand what the iPhone fuss is about" segment. Oooh big screen! Uh-oh battery rumors... 4G sounds... I dunno, better than 3G.

The artcraft in that spot for me is exactly that line about being an Apple devotee because he's "creative" and then is outted as just a barista. In two seconds it reinforces Apple's old niche AND makes fun of the blindly devoted.

Too bad the niche doesn't hold water today and that iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air fans are devoted to quality, not the name.

So sayeth NotScott.

These are the exact same thoughts that crossed my mind when I watched it. This is definitely not going to convert any iPhone users. After all, anyone who has actually lived with an iPhone knows for damn sure they're using it for lots of reasons but least of all as a fashion statement. So Samsung blows their credibility with would-be converts right there. And they're definitely not having to do this to win over Google users who saddle themselves to the disaster called Android simply because they are terrified of being seen using an Apple product.

So I don't know. Who was this for? The only conclusion I can draw is that Samsung believes their own B.S. about Apple customers buying iPhones just as an image thing. And if they really believe that, it's sort of a sad commentary on them and their attitude toward their customers.
  • Reply 138 of 273
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The 4S is in no way a disappointment.

Media makes it seem that way, but holy shit I love my 4S

I have a 4, my wife has a 4S. Other than Siri (which barely works when listening to standard English), they're identical.

I hope the 5 is a big improvement. 4G I personally have no interest in, as 4G networks don't exist in the UK, but I certainly want a much larger screen, more system RAM, and for Apple to push NFC.
  • Reply 139 of 273
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    If the point of this ad is to convince people of why they should buy the Galaxy S II, then it is a terrible ad that does not accomplish that goal.

If the point of this ad is to take shots at Apple. Then it was pretty successful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

It was simple...effective...showed an Apple bias but didn't have any of the Samsung users actually diss Apple. Etc.

Like someone else said though in order for this to be actually effective they should make this a campaign of sorts...a one off commercial will do nothing but drum up internet debates like these.

• Reply 140 of 273
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The 4S is in no way a disappointment.

Media makes it seem that way, but holy shit I love my 4S

Me too. It's the perfect upgrade from my second gen iPod touch.