Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Comments

• Reply 101 of 273
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Hmmm no. Samsung's cash holdings as of the end of September 2011 was about 22 billion, and it had about 10 billion in debt. Apple's cash holdings is around 80 billion and Apple has zero debt. Apple has enough cash to buy all of its major mobile hardware competitors in cash including Samsung.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.

• Reply 102 of 273
    Yeah, who like it when significant upgrade but look the same on the outside? Third party manufacturers of accessories etc. That's how you keep the profitable ecosystem thriving for months to come. And did they just suggest unchanged design is bad when they can't even design their own without copying or pasting recognisable OSX/iOS icons all over their stores?

Pah!
  • Reply 103 of 273
    Samsung wishes people would wait in lines for there phones
  • Reply 104 of 273
    Waiting for the inevitable Apple commercial response:

Justin Long as Mac enters left of frame.

Mac: "Hi everybody. I'm Mac."

An identically dressed spokesperson, played by Dane Cook, enters right of frame.

Sam: "Hey everybody, I'm Sam and I'm totally cooler than Mac."

Mac: "Hey Sam, did I see you parked outside my house this morning?"

Sam: "Totes Bra'. I wanted to see what outfit you were wearing. Copied it. It totally looks better on me."

Mac: "Okay Sam, this creepy stalker thing has to stop. Stop dating my ex-girlfriends. Stop digging through my trash. Stop wearing my clothes! I'm this close to getting a restraining order!"

Sam: "Not if I sue you first!"

Announcer: "Samsung - like a creepy stalker douchebag that is slowly stealing your identity."
  • Reply 105 of 273
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Samsung's got it bad.
  • Reply 106 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Definitely the best android commercial ever. It's very good. Effective use of differences in product and you come away with the name of both the maker and product. Very well done.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.

Mmm... Your sig made me think...

GIGO... Garbage In Google Out...

Did I get that right?
  • Reply 107 of 273
    In all honesty Apple would have made a similar commercial targeting Samsung, but there weren't any people lining up to buy their products.

The perfect response to this ad would be ...

"Oh, it has a bigger screen ... hold on a second, 'Siri ... how many Galaxy devices has Samsung sold?'"

"It sure looks like Samsung has sold less than 250,000."
  • Reply 108 of 273
    The only Samsung displays of high end quality are the very expensive ones costing thousands of dollars. Samsung only makes its high end displays. The low end one's are outsourced to various companies even for the same models and the build quality varies. The only company that makes high quality displays at the moderate level is Sharp. This is because 1) the company is the oldest company making such displays, and 2) actually manufactures all its own displays so the quality is consistent. It also adds a fourth pixel, which makes the picture sharper (no pun intended). Don't take my word for it, go to a place like Sears were you have Sharp, Samsung, Sony, and LG all next to one another. The difference is obvious and there is no comparison when viewing sets normally priced under two grand. You have to be careful here though as well because it is common for companies like Samsung to ship display model TVs built with a display it manufactured, but then sell the same model TV with displays outsourced from a third party where the quality is not nearly as good. The Internet is full of resources complaining about Samsung's practice there.

Moreover, most of Samsung's displays are average quality. This wasn't so much the case a couple of years ago, but is true now. Go to any legitimate review site, and it will essentially tell you the same thing. In my view, where Samsung excels is with Smart Apps. It's experience with Smart Phones seems to be carrying over to making better Smart applications for Tvs. I, however, would prefer a better screen and I can settle for gaining application access through a device like an X-Box 360 or an Apple TV.

Samsung's phones are largely made out of cheaper material. You can't honestly put a Samsung phone in your hand, and an iPhone in your hand and tell me Samsung's build quality is on par with Apple's (unless we are talking about the first iPhone). Apple uses high quality metals and glass. Samsung mostly uses plastic, and sometimes a metal trim. My co-worker snapped her cheap Samsung made Nexus phone battery cover trying to take the battery out to reboot the frozen phone.

Samsung is not as bad as Motorola though. Every product I have ever owned of Motorola's has broken within a year. That stinks when you are on a two year contract. There is a 3GS going on 3 years of use in my family. Moreover, I can still sell the phone for about what I paid for it on contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I have a Vibrant and a iPhone 4S. To be honest, I like the sound on my Vibrant better. How is it a POS? I love the Super AMOLED screen with it's infinite black color and home the tech will be on TVs real soon. I also haven't had any burn in. BEAUTIFUL display (lacks retina sharpness though). I also have a plasma tv...no burn in.

Also, you are not making any sense. You tell me to go where the high end headphones are, but to plug them into my phone (at an Apple store?). I'm not seeing your point....

• Reply 109 of 273
    I'd email that to Tim Cook. I like it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Waiting for the inevitable Apple commercial response:

Justin Long as Mac enters left of frame.

Mac: "Hi everybody. I'm Mac."

An identically dressed spokesperson, played by Dane Cook, enters right of frame.

Sam: "Hey everybody, I'm Sam and I'm totally cooler than Mac."

Mac: "Hey Sam, did I see you parked outside my house this morning?"

Sam: "Totes Bra'. I wanted to see what outfit you were wearing. Copied it. It totally looks better on me."

Mac: "Okay Sam, this creepy stalker thing has to stop. Stop dating my ex-girlfriends. Stop digging through my trash. Stop wearing my clothes! I'm this close to getting a restraining order!"

Sam: "Not if I sue you first!"

Announcer: "Samsung - like a creepy stalker that is slowly stealing your identity."

• Reply 110 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.

The iPhone 4S is a great design. Why change a good thing? The only thing that didn't change is the outside. I guess Siri isn't good enough for you? And you call yourself an Apple fan? I guess you are one of those people that are disappointed that others can't tell that you have a new phone. Apple doesn't manipulate fans, they just make products that fans want. Apple doesn't need fans like you!!
  • Reply 111 of 273
    I think advertising that mentions or shows competing products is just plain bad. You are basically continuing to establish your competitor instead of your own product.

I also couldn't help but wonder about how much Samsung copied Apple's product. They look really similar in so many ways.
  • Reply 112 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

They had fun at Microsofts expense on the "I"m a Mac" commercials but if I remember correctly they typically covered things like "yes office runs on a Mac" or shed light on the absence of virus on the platform. There was a message behind the humor. Making fun of people in line waiting for a product says what?

I don't think Samsung's adds were funny nor very informative as plenty of phones have a huge screen and 4G. Why exactly should I buy a Samsung over any other model? They couldn't answer that.

Go pull the sales numbers for the iPad before you start calling "magical and revolutionary" a mythical concept. I'm afraid the data supports that the iPad "is" a bit of a revolution.

Yes having a huge screen is popular for Apple fans as well which is why many of us bought iPads rather than some tweener (too big to be comfy phone to small to be a tablet)

I'm for choice though and I wouldn't mind seeing a 4" iPhone but I think few people really want to see a 4.5" iPhone or larger.

Siri pretty much obviates my need for a larger keyboard as it's voice recognition is pretty damn fantastic for my needs.

Might you be a Barista? That add although probably not the most effective was pretty funny non the least.
  • Reply 113 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

What's the next round of commercials? Making fun of apple for having all that money?

Apple should do a rebuttal commercial... Show a Samsung G2 as it whips through web pages at 4G speeds and then battery diiiiieeeeesssssss! Then an iP 4S user takes a look and sarcastically quips, "Nice phone!"

/

/

/
  • Reply 114 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

All of these competitor commercials seem so unprofessional. They can't advertise to anybody other than the people with an inferiority complex?

i thought the very same thing during the "Get A Mac" ad campaign from 2006 to 2009 which clearly exposed inferiority complexes of some people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_Mac
  • Reply 115 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fandroids are probably going to say the ad is spot on regarding their own attitude and bias towards Apple.

It vaguely reminds me of the first Xoom ad that also evoked the iSheep myth. (P.S., It's funny to watch that lame ad: it appears the only thing the Xoom could do was that 3D google maps trick; it's not like it could run a bazillion apps like Garageband or iMovie or Keynote.)

Ahh... But it had the Hoodie Girl:

• Reply 116 of 273
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

BI: Is the goal of the campaign to get iPhone users to switch or pull in people buying a smartphone for the first time?

Wallace: We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsu...#ixzz1eV6fUOmX

Weasel words, the lot of it. What he says explicitly contradicts what we see on screen.
  • Reply 117 of 273
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Apple should do a rebuttal commercial... Show a Samsung G2 as it whips through web pages at 4G speeds and then battery diiiiieeeeesssssss! Then an iP 4S user takes a look and sarcastically quips, "Nice phone!"

/

/

/

Yeah, the first thing I thought of when seeing all those references to 4G was battery life.

Whilst Santoanderson's little dialogue was good (save for the last line - you don't need to mention them by name, as everyone will know which copy-cat is being referred to), I think it's better that they just don't respond to it.
  • Reply 118 of 273
    At least the ad is original (enough)
  • Reply 119 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... But it had the Hoodie Girl:

Those hoodies are awesome. Anyone got a link to buy them online?
  • Reply 120 of 273
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In the Get A Mac ads. Apple anthropomorphized the computers themselves.

They did not call people who use PC's stupid losers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Apple like this kind of commercial.

"Get a Mac"(Mac vs PC) ad mock PC users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSHJfPWxs8