Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Have you found the Eliza mode in Siri?

No I haven't found her yet. How does that make you feel?

• Reply 62 of 144
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS's comparison of Tell Me to Siri is just wrong on every level of wrongness. It's just not well thought out in the way it's used, and video clearly demonstrated that it's functionality is limited and unfocused. It's like Siri in many general aspects, but it's the way all these technologies are put together, including good natural language support, that makes it a breakthrough the way the original iPhone was a breakthrough in world that already had smartphone and touchscreens.

The video looks like a demo.
  • Reply 63 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

The video looks like a demo.

In fact, the TellMe video is a conceptual video equivalent to the famous Apple Knowledge Navigator. This is what every other company does, they fantasize about releasing "magical" products while Apple actually does it.

In reality, Microsoft TellMe is nothing like the concept video. If you search for Microsoft TellMe you will find the website and upon further investigation the website is linked to Windows Phone 7 speech recognition. The website is also quite clear that you are expected to remember and use specific commands. The list of commands follows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...-my-phone.aspx

Microsoft probably does believe TellMe is equivalent to Siri just like Google believes Voice Actions is equivalent to Siri.

When Apple releases their spectacular Map app next year everyone will say they have had 3D maps with navigation for years as well.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    Tellme used to be a customer of mine prior to their acquisition by Microsoft. Their technology is really based on 'voice navigation of the web'. AT&T is/was one of their largest customers. Siri is based on AI technology developed at Stanford Research Institute (SRI hence the name 'Siri'). This interview is another M$ executive saying 'we have that too' without really knowing what he's talking about. It's not that Tellme isn't good technology, it's just different than Siri. You can access Tellme on ANY cell phone. Most people who use Tellme are completely unaware they are using it. Siri, on the other hand, is specifically accessed by the user and only (today) available on the iPhone 4S...
  • Reply 65 of 144
    Quote:

MS's comparison of Tell Me to Siri is just wrong on every level of wrongness.

You know that video isn't real right? It's just one of those fake videos that Microsoft do something showing where they are taking their technology.

That demo shows interactivity way beyond what Siri is at the moment. If that were in Windows Phone 7.5 it would have been a huge deal.

In Windows Phone 7.5 Tellme is a voice recognition and command system which, beyond the basic stuff like making a call or sending a text, hooks into the existing Bing local search stuff which isn't that far removed from the Bing app on iPad/iPhone (which you should download and check out BTW).

As it stands the list of Tellme commands is only a small fraction of what Siri understands (you can't add a reminder, set an alarm or add a meeting for example) and is locked to Bing so asking something like "what is the distance to the moon?" or "what is the maximum air speed of a dragonfly?" will just get you a Bing answer instead of pulling the result from Wolfram Alpha like Siri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF5IVKj8QDk
  • Reply 66 of 144
    Mundie's comments are so pathetically hilarious! Microsoft chokes once again, but hey, we had that awesome feature a year ago! What the heck ever...good luck with your phone, btw...
  • Reply 67 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

You know that video isn't real right? It's just one of those fake videos that Microsoft do something showing where they are taking their technology.

I thought I made that abundantly clear with my comments about the video. Plus the video speaks for itself. It found hotel locations that seat 250 people for a weeding on a particular day. Without APIs that tie into websites or some other backend system that just isn't possible data to retrieve. Even then such a system could be easily gamed.

Quote:

As it stands the list of Tellme commands is only a small fraction of what Siri understands.

It's slightly above Apple's Voice Commands system in that it can address and send a text using speech-to-text and it can open an app, which is a pretty pointless action in and of itself.
  • Reply 68 of 144
    "Who's the most repulsive person you've ever met?"

Siri: "Here's your current location"
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottyo View Post

No I haven't found her yet. How does that make you feel?

So you want to talk about you haven't found her yet?
  • Reply 70 of 144
    Quote:

...and it can open an app, which is a pretty pointless action in and of itself.

Ahh... But that's a good start...
  • Reply 71 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Microsoft probably does believe TellMe is equivalent to Siri...

I'd bet my house they don't.
  • Reply 72 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... But that's a good start...

No way, that should never be a direct command unless it's for Accessibility.

Here's a scenario:
    "Open up Settings"

(Siri opens Settings)

"Open General"

(Siri opens General)

"Open Network"

(Siri opens Network"

"Open VPN"

(Siri opens VPN)

"Enable VPN"

(Siri enables VPN)

Or you could simply tell Siri to "Enable VPN in Settings".
  • Reply 73 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You know, it seems like MS does this a lot. They get asked something Apple is doing and they sort of snort and claim they've been doing that without getting any credit, and it's just that Apple is good at marketing.

What's scary is that they may actually believe it. That the only difference between Apple's successes and their own failures is marketing, and that the half-assed, user hostile versions of things they put on the market are just as good as what Apple does, but Apple cheats because they have some kind of mysterious mind control thing going on. If only people would just take of their Apple blinkers, they'd see that Microsoft has all this totally awesome user experience stuff too.

Those stupid blue-sky MS of the future concept videos, like the one linked to earlier, are part of the problem. It's almost as if they think that because they've made a video about what they might do if they ever get around to it, they should get credit for shipping product. I notice that video featured (in addition to the hilariously capable natural language recognition) a casually referenced TV interface (a brief shot of a "view on phone/TV" menu item) and a Kinect gesture to chose images on the TV.

Cool! Why not just freaking do it, MS? You have the parts, why are you dicking around with videos? Is it because getting all those parts to work together is really hard? Can you not do really hard?

Apple is about integration. They've been building out an integrated meta-platform for over 10 years. They don't have warring internal factions, the OS X people aren't sabotaging Apple TV because of turf battles, the iPod Touch doesn't get hamstrung because the iPhone people are jealous of their empire. If MS wants to whine about how they don't get credit for being innovative, then for god's sake stop letting your lieutenants create autonomous silos and pick a master plan and freaking stick to it. You don't get to complain if you can't execute.
  • Reply 74 of 144
    Quote:

No way, that should never be a direct command unless it's for Accessibility.

Here's a scenario:
    "Open up Settings"

(Siri opens Settings)

"Open General"

(Siri opens General)

"Open Network"

(Siri opens Network"

"Open VPN"

(Siri opens VPN)

"Enable VPN"

(Siri enables VPN)

Or you could simply tell Siri to "Enable VPN in Settings".

Yes... I misunderstood... Of course the latter is correct.

Opening an app by itself, is half a job -- done minimally...

Asking an app to do something for you (accomplishing something) is what it's all about...

You really are the same old [argumentative] Sol
  • Reply 75 of 144
    I think Microsoft should spend more time marketing mobile windows platform and roll out faster than they have been doing.
  • Reply 76 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by janeshepard View Post

Mundie: ?I mean, all that?s already there. Fully functional, been there for a year.?

So?maybe that really is why Mundie dismisses Siri: Microsoft?s version of the feature hasn?t sparked sales of the Windows Phone 7, so he can?t imagine it?s a big deal on any platform.

Moreover, Microsoft?s culture is throughly suffused with robber baron thinking, even at the research nexus he inhabits?it?s the only way Microsoft knows how to make money.

In other words, he and the rest of the chiefs make such unwittingly ignorant remarks because they habitually wear big, fat dollar signs like horse blinders. Whoa, Nellie!

Welcome to the forum and good post. "Robber baron" is right.
  • Reply 77 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know, it seems like MS does this a lot. They get asked something Apple is doing and they sort of snort and claim they've been doing that without getting any credit, and it's just that Apple is good at marketing.

What's scary is that they may actually believe it. That the only difference between Apple's successes and their own failures is marketing, and that the half-assed, user hostile versions of things they put on the market are just as good as what Apple does, but Apple cheats because they have some kind of mysterious mind control thing going on. If only people would just take of their Apple blinkers, they'd see that Microsoft has all this totally awesome user experience stuff too.

Those stupid blue-sky MS of the future concept videos, like the one linked to earlier, are part of the problem. It's almost as if they think that because they've made a video about what they might do if they ever get around to it, they should get credit for shipping product. I notice that video featured (in addition to the hilariously capable natural language recognition) a casually referenced TV interface (a brief shot of a "view on phone/TV" menu item) and a Kinect gesture to chose images on the TV.

Cool! Why not just freaking do it, MS? You have the parts, why are you dicking around with videos? Is it because getting all those parts to work together is really hard? Can you not do really hard?

Apple is about integration. They've been building out an integrated meta-platform for over 10 years. They don't have warring internal factions, the OS X people aren't sabotaging Apple TV because of turf battles, the iPod Touch doesn't get hamstrung because the iPhone people are jealous of their empire. If MS wants to whine about how they don't get credit for being innovative, then for god's sake stop letting your lieutenants create autonomous silos and pick a master plan and freaking stick to it. You don't get to complain if you can't execute.

post of the year.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    Sorry M$, the real news is that you have had out for over a year and still no one cares. Keep doing what your doing Ballmer!! Your slowly sinking the ship your piloting and it sucks to be you.
  • Reply 79 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfulda View Post

Sorry M$, the real news is that you have had out for over a year and still no one cares. Keep doing what your doing Ballmer!! Your slowly sinking the ship your piloting and it sucks to be you.

"Microsoft is like a ship with a big hole in the bottom. And my job is to get more developers to jump in the Windows Phone 7 lifeboat."
  • Reply 80 of 144
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

"In a sense, you know, many people were disappointed with [Apple's] newest phone because it wasn't a completely new thing, so the only thing they really had to hammer on was that feature," Mundie said. "Maybe we need to pick a feature and hammer on it harder."

Yeah, because dual core processors are nothing new.

So how many Windows phones have dual core?..

...obviously if dual core is nothing new, why bother.