Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

You're a Reupblican that owns an Apple product. Mind blown.

I saw an Anti-Obama bumper sticker on a Prius yesterday....I verified it must have been a Republican, because the freaking bumper sticker was on straight.
  • Reply 82 of 144
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Look at the YouTube thing, posted a few months ago, that someone posted the URL for (look above). Typical Microsoft marketing. It's fishy. The whole thing has the stink of a Microsoft "vision of the future." The tipoff: the dialogue is perfect. It's not just natural language, it's elliptical, and one of the questions would have to be repeated to make sense. Tip-off: the tablet at the end doesn't exist, and it seems to be running WP7!
  • Reply 83 of 144
    Didn't MS say just a few weeks ago Siri was a waste of tech and no one wants or needs to talk into their phone? ... Now they're claiming they had it first? Make up your mind - which is it, MSFT!!??!
  • Reply 84 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Didn't MS say just a few weeks ago Siri was a waste of tech and no one wants or needs to talk into their phone? ... Now they're claiming they had it first? Make up your mind - which is it, MSFT!!??!

Andy Lees thinks talking to your phone in certain places (like your car) is useful, and doing it in public is not so useful.

Google's Andy Rubin said "Your phone is a tool for communicating. You shouldn?t be communicating with the phone; you should be communicating with somebody on the other side of the phone"

It sounds like you got your Andy's mixed up!
  • Reply 85 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

Every time one of their competitors (MS, Nokia...) try to come out with something Appleish they just look like idiots, <..>

KRR

True, and the logical conclusion (Spock's saying) which comes out is : they ARE idiots
  • Reply 86 of 144
    MSFT Folks : Beauty is a strong selling point, simplicity is a strong selling point, user friendliness is a strong selling point.

repeat after me : Beauty ........
  • Reply 87 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Maybe we need to pick a feature and hammer on it harder."

If you need someone to TELL you "voice control that works" is a game-changer, pure sci-fi, everything changes now function - it make me wonder who is actually in charge of not just marketing but the entire strategy......
  • Reply 88 of 144
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS's comparison of Tell Me to Siri is just wrong on every level of wrongness. It's just not well thought out in the way it's used, and video clearly demonstrated that it's functionality is limited and unfocused. It's like Siri in many general aspects, but it's the way all these technologies are put together, including good natural language support, that makes it a breakthrough the way the original iPhone was a breakthrough in world that already had smartphone and touchscreens.

I'm sorry but to me it seems like you're just jealous that Apple copied MS's TellMe and named it Siri.
  • Reply 89 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I suggest that you delete your post, otherwise I am going to have to reply to it and liberals won't like what I will say about them.

Really? Will someone hold you at gunpoint at the keyboard?

The only reason you'll have to reply is you can't rise above a petty political troll.
  • Reply 90 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

I'm sorry but to me it seems like you're just jealous that Apple copied MS's TellMe and named it Siri.

Yes, we're all very jealous that Apple copied a Microsoft promotional video about fictional software that they might one day get around to making. Not really keeping up, are we?
  • Reply 91 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple is about integration. They've been building out an integrated meta-platform for over 10 years. They don't have warring internal factions, the OS X people aren't sabotaging Apple TV because of turf battles, the iPod Touch doesn't get hamstrung because the iPhone people are jealous of their empire. If MS wants to whine about how they don't get credit for being innovative, then for god's sake stop letting your lieutenants create autonomous silos and pick a master plan and freaking stick to it. You don't get to complain if you can't execute.

Apple doesn't have warring internal factions? If so that would be unusual in a company the size of Apple. I reckon they do, to an extent, but such 'normal' battles over "what should we do given the myriad of choices available to us?" don't make it out into the public.
  • Reply 92 of 144
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

You know something Steve Jobs was telling the truth with the "magical" part, things that normally take years to develop and test before they are ready for release, are done within weeks or months of Apple's secret wizards seeing them.

Down to the magical labs, whip up a few spells and poof a fully working model, bugs ironed out and ready to sell.

There Apple really uses magic, it's the only explanation.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, troll?

P.S.

Apple really has no experience with talking computers.
  • Reply 93 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Apple doesn't have warring internal factions? If so that would be unusual in a company the size of Apple. I reckon they do, to an extent, but such 'normal' battles over "what should we do given the myriad of choices available to us?" don't make it out into the public.

They don't have it because Steve acted as final arbiter of everything. That doesn't mean that such rivalries might not develop in the post-Steve Apple, but as it stands everything is coordinated around a roadmap that Steve had final say on.

Moreover, Apple is very unusual for being such a huge company with such a small, focused product line. It's not really surprising that there isn't much internal strife when everything is working to a common purpose, and there aren't that many things to begin with. Computers running OS X and apps, iOS devices and apps. And lately, cloud services.

MS explicitly encourages competition between divisions and groups, and there are a lot of them. Windows has the power to thwart innovation elsewhere in the company, as occurred with the whole Courier fiasco and the subsequent loss of key personnel. You get things like arbitrary distinctions between Windows Phone 7 and Windows on a tablet, because Windows must be honored. You get things like the day late and the dollar short Zune, sort of left out there to die, because the Zune people never had the internal clout to influence the roadmap.

You never see stuff like that at Apple. The iPhone doesn't get hobbled to service OS X hegemony, OS X doesn't lose functionality to prop up some notion about how iOS is strategically marketed. MS feels like a collection of companies, all vying for the limelight by any means necessary. Apple feels like a cohesive whole where all the parts serve a unified vision of how the future should work.
  • Reply 94 of 144
    Quote:

The silicon chip inside her head

Gets switched to overload

And nobody?s gonna go to school today

She?s gonna make them stay at home

And daddy doesn?t understand it

He always said she was good as gold

And he can see no reasons

'Cos there are no reasons

What reason do you need to be show-ow-ow-ow-own?

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

I wanna shoo-oo-woo-woo-woo-oot the whole day down

The Telex machine is kept so clean

And it types to a waiting world

And mother feels so shocked

Father?s world is rocked

And their thoughts turn to their own little girl

Sweet 16 ain?t that peachy keen

Now that ain?t so neat to admit defeat

They can see no reasons

'Cuz there are no reasons

What reasons do you need?

Oh Oh oh whoa whoa

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

I wanna shoo-oo-oo-woo-woo-oot

The whole day down, down, down, shoot it all down

And all the playing's stopped in the playground now

She wants to play with the toys a while

And school's out early and soon we'll be learning

And the lesson today is how to die

And then the bullhorn crackles

And the captain tackles

(With the problems of the how's and why's)

And he can see no reasons

'Cos there are no reasons

What reason do you need to die, die?

Oh Oh Oh

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don?t like

I don?t like (Tell me why)

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don?t like

I don?t like (Tell me why)

I don?t like Mundies

Tell me why

I don't like Mundies

I wanna shoo-oo-oo-woo-woo-woot the whole day down

I don't know why this sort of fits.
  • Reply 95 of 144
    They are either lying or have piss poor marketing. My cousin has had a WP7 phone for a year and this is the first time either of us have heard of this voice control functionality.
  • Reply 96 of 144
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS's comparison of Tell Me to Siri is just wrong on every level of wrongness.

Oh hell that commercial was pukarific!
  • Reply 97 of 144
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, now we know who's in charge of the people whining about "THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE, THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE. SAME PHONE. SAME PHONE."

It is stupid. Computers hardly changed in a decade, every year it's the same thing but with a faster chip inside. Heck, most of Dell's computers are the same rickedy chassis with different paint schemes and different chips inside.
  • Reply 98 of 144
    Quote:

How do you copy an AI without stealing code? If you can't explain that, please prove Apple stole code. Otherwise, GTFO troll.
  • Reply 99 of 144
    If you guys can't post without mentioning politics, please don't post. It's not even close to being on topic. If you have an axe to grind, you need to go elsewhere. We have Political Outsider, save for that, it doesn't belong on this site. See a political comment, don't reply with more political comments, just report it or ignore it.

I've deleted a lot of political posts in this thread. Let me know if I missed one.
  • Reply 100 of 144
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Sour grapes from Microsoft. Why am I not surprised.

The Windows phone is rapidly disappearing in the iPhone's rear view mirror.

You mean like how the iPhone is disappearing into Android's rear view mirror?

Microsoft have deep pockets so Windows Phone isn't going to disappear. With Nokia on board now and pushing out beautiful (albeit currently very underpowered) devices which are unique to the platform, and with Metro taking over Windows 8 and Xbox 360, things will turn around.

It's just going to take a few more years.