Rumor: Apple axed 'evolutionary' 64-bit Final Cut Pro 8 for 'revolutionary' FCPX

123578

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post


    Not sure what your point is. If I sold a software product, I'd want to make sure I was up to date on feedback about that product coming from a range of sources. Google, Bing, Yahoo queries would be one source for such feedback. Customer surveys, media reports, Conan O'Brien videos poking fun of my product would also be another source.



    The non sequiturs keep coming. The salient point I made is there are far more switching to Mac than away from it. Your googling was irrelevant in the context of that discussion.
  • Reply 82 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    1st- Why would someone still be on snow leopard?



    Because for some things it still runs better than Lion, and has fewer bugs.



    And there are a number of annoyances ("features" I guess) in Lion that can't be turned off. I'd also argue that iCloud is too buggy to bother with at this point.



    Lion is the first version of OSX I haven't switched over to as fast as I could, unless there are major improvements I'll probably hold off until I have newer software that requires it or maybe even skip it for 10.8.
  • Reply 83 of 148
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    You expect a reply with an opener like that. Into my Ignore List you go!



    I used to own a room full of Barco calibrated monitors, now I'm OK with Apple's monitors. I find the screens just fine. Ever thought of a better designed room or seeing an eye doctor?



    iMac's, they just work - after you've hired a contractor to rebuild a spot for it. Oh, and your going to eventually need an eye doctor after using our product.



    great marketing



    golf clap
  • Reply 84 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    1st- Why would someone still be on snow leopard?



    2nd- What program are you planning on running on Windows that won't run under OSX?



    I don't like Lion. I have it on my MBP. At work I run CS5, FCP7, Handbrake, Audio Hijack and Maya on a Mac Pro. On my iMac I use Xcode. I do use iDisk but only until June 2012 apparently. I may quit sooner it is getting really slow. I suspect that Apple might be intentionally slowing it down to motivate people to migrate to iCloud which I have no intention of doing. I will just use Dropbox. I think my .mac email is dead too as I discovered just recently I can no longer receive mail at that address even though that is my iTunes user id.
  • Reply 85 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    The non sequiturs keep coming. The salient point I made is there are far more switching to Mac than away from it. Your googling was irrelevant in the context of that discussion.



    So again, I ask, why not use those data points to continue improving your products? Even if you are getting 1M new customers a day, I'd still like to know why that 1% decided they wanted to turn back. Even if that 1% is meaningless to my bottom line, I'd still like to know.



    Wouldn't you? You will come back with some clever reply, pointless to continue bantering. You are right, I am wrong, you win, I lose, you are better than me!
  • Reply 86 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post


    So again, I ask, why not use those data points to continue improving your products? Even if you are getting 1M new customers a day, I'd still like to know why that 1% decided they wanted to turn back. Even if that 1% is meaningless to my bottom line, I'd still like to know.



    Wouldn't you? You will come back with some clever reply, pointless to continue bantering. You are right, I am wrong, you win, I lose, you are better than me!



    We agree at last
  • Reply 87 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I agree with you for the most part. I did a multi camera edit the day I got FCProX but it is a work around.



    My personal biggest issue is the overly automated nature of the beast but that is probably because of many thousands of hours using 7 and it's predecessors. It's akin to the Lion apps auto saving when I want to save something to a specific folder. I know how to do my way it but it threw me for a while and maybe their way is better ... still thinking about that .



    I also developed some idiosyncratic tricks that I'd developed over the years that are hard to stop. I always made TV shows backwards. I did a ton one hour shows for ESPN in FCPro and I'd start with the endings and then add the ad breaks and then the going to breaks and so on ... finally filling in the gaps. Not as easy in X although I'm sure it could be done with slugs. But I digress...



    Two tips: One, you can select a project in the project window (command+0), right-click on it and Duplicate. Or, you can export a version of the project as an XML to archive it, so you can revert back to it at any time.



    Second, you can definitely use gap clips (slugs) to edit from the end back to the beginning. Use the position tool (P) to move a clip anywhere you want in the timeline, and it will build a gap clip in the magnetic timeline for you. You can even create secondary storylines above the primary storyline, with its own cuts and transitions. Sometimes when I'm working on a project with a hard time limit (like a 30 second promo, for example), I'll actually set the primary storyline to only contain a gap clip equal to the length of the project. Then, I'll use connected clips and secondary storylines for everything else. It's not perfect, since you have to make sure you've selected the correct storyline in the timeline or else your keyboard shortcuts will default to the primary storyline when adding clips, but does help me keep clips locked at certain locations. That lets me be free to edit anywhere in the timeline and not have to worry about knocking anything out of sync later on. It's a workaround, but it works =).
  • Reply 88 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I don't like Lion. I have it on my MBP. At work I run CS5, FCP7, Handbrake, Audio Hijack and Maya on a Mac Pro. On my iMac I use Xcode. I do use iDisk but only until June 2012 apparently. I may quit sooner it is getting really slow. I suspect that Apple might be intentionally slowing it down to motivate people to migrate to iCloud which I have no intention of doing. I will just use Dropbox. I think my .mac email is dead too as I discovered just recently I can no longer receive mail at that address even though that is my iTunes user id.



    I like having Snow Leopard as well as Lion for many of the reasons you mention. That slip up by VMWare last week enabling a standard install of Snow Leopard rather than the server was awesome. I suspect they did intend it and were clipped around the ear by Apple Legal given the fact they had a dialog asking if it was authorized.



    BTW and off topic sorry ... but is anyone else seeing Safari act weird after today's update? Mine keeps giving me the spinning wheel. Not snapper at all so far! I am disabling all extensions in case they are the cause.



    update: I seems to have been Ad Blocker going nuts.
  • Reply 89 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post


    Two tips: One, you can select a project in the project window (command+0), right-click on it and Duplicate. Or, you can export a version of the project as an XML to archive it, so you can revert back to it at any time.



    Second, you can definitely use gap clips (slugs) to edit from the end back to the beginning. Use the position tool (P) to move a clip anywhere you want in the timeline, and it will build a gap clip in the magnetic timeline for you. You can even create secondary storylines above the primary storyline, with its own cuts and transitions. Sometimes when I'm working on a project with a hard time limit (like a 30 second promo, for example), I'll actually set the primary storyline to only contain a gap clip equal to the length of the project. Then, I'll use connected clips and secondary storylines for everything else. It's not perfect, since you have to make sure you've selected the correct storyline in the timeline or else your keyboard shortcuts will default to the primary storyline when adding clips, but does help me keep clips locked at certain locations. That lets me be free to edit anywhere in the timeline and not have to worry about knocking anything out of sync later on. It's a workaround, but it works =).



    Thanks nice tips. My problem is more than likely not enough real life work in X to learn the work arounds. It's been very quiet for the last year or two ... Nothing beats a real job to learn fast!
  • Reply 90 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Many times the sound is synced to camera #1 at the sound booth in the back of the concert hall. The other cameras are not recording audio and even if they were there would be a delay since they are some other distance from the source. That is why they use timecode. It doesn't take more than about 20 meters to make a huge difference. Speed of light verses speed of sound.



    Two things:



    1) The FCP X 1.0.1 added Time Code support



    Final cut Pro X Software Update



    2) Sound sound syncing (if the sound is recorded on each camera) is an easy to get close -- then it is a relatively easy matter to manually tweak each camera clip a frame-at-a-time to get video sync.





    In addition, with sound syncing you can sync any camera that films any part of the performance -- whether it is capturing the entire performance or not (offline for media changes, etc.)



    I'm certainly no pro, but for many things sound syncing seems like it will do the job.
  • Reply 91 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    After reading a lot of the complaints about Apple not catering to the "pros" anymore, I'd like to just make a few observations, if I might.



    When the Mac Pro was introduced a lot of people, myself included, were very impressed with a computer that finally "got it". It could be upgraded with ease because of it's great design. Hard drives, memory, all sorts of internal bits and pieces ... no problem. There is absolutely no reason that the Mac Pro one bought years ago had to remain the same (waiting for Apple to "re-design it) and about the only thing I think it lacks, even now, is thunderbolt capability, which did not exist then and I think we'll see it on new Mac Pros next year, so the never ending complaints about lack of upgrades to Mac Pro are completely unnecessary and unwarranted, imho.



    As far as FCPX is concerned, it was noted, at the time, to have been designed with digital media in mind and most of the complaints were coming from people who still had a need to work with tape. I can understand that ...... with change comes uncertainty and a degree of discomfort .... but the fact is that the future is digital and to ignore that fact is to invite "obsolescence through ignorance" .... and that has never been a part of Apple's DNA, nor should it be.



    The main difference between Apple and PC (Windows) has usually been that PC tries to drag the past along with it, while Apple has been more than ready to give up some of the past in order to redefine the future.



    Finally, as important as the "pro market" may be ... the fact is there are a whole lot more of "us" than there are of "them". I think Apple can serve both markets .... but there should be no doubt as to who drives sales .... and with it the profit to develop machines capable to service both markets. It's the same reason that there are more "people cars" sold than "race cars".



    Apple has long ago stopped being a niche company .... and I'm glad it has.



    Your points are all valid arguments for sure. However there are minor points I'd make. For example even if a job you were in the middle of was 100% digital it still couldn't be opened in FCProX if it was originated in 7. That is akin to Excel not opening an earlier version's spread sheets. That was pretty amazing from Apple and really a major scary fact for studios with masses of projects archived away that were called upon in new jobs.



    I'd also say that many companies have long kept their high end product going for both prestige and R&D. Many a feature accepted as normal in cars today were created in F1 race cars. I truly hope Apple maintain a high end even if it is break even for them on paper. I suspect they will.
  • Reply 92 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Two things:



    1) The FCP X 1.0.1 added Time Code support



    Final cut Pro X Software Update



    2) Sound sound syncing (if the sound is recorded on each camera) is an easy to get close -- then it is a relatively easy matter to manually tweak each camera clip a frame-at-a-time to get video sync.




    Just pray there's no doppler effect
  • Reply 93 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Two things:



    1) The FCP X 1.0.1 added Time Code support





    2) Sound sound syncing (if the sound is recorded on each camera) is an easy to get close -- then it is a relatively easy matter to manually tweak each camera clip a frame-at-a-time to get video sync.



    Tweaking the sync is not always as easy as you say. For lip sync, not every part of a songs lyrics is easy to visually align the audio using free form frame at a time nudging. It would be way too tedious especially with multiple cameras. You need to do it by the numbers, not just eyeballing it.
  • Reply 94 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post


    HUH? Again, the point is that it can be used to collect data points in an equation to improve their products. Nice elitist tone you are taking. I did not sling any arrows at you.



    Collecting data points is one thing... but assigning confidence to those data points is another.



    You come to a site like AI and on almost any topic you'll get posts by Apple Fanbois and Apple Haters.



    Do you think they offset one another?



    Do you believe that more people will post bitches rather than praises?



    On this particular thread, how many have posted:



    -- this is forcing me to go to Windows



    vs



    -- this is forcing me to stay with OS X





    Now, flip that and go to a Windows site!







    The fact that [almost] everyone posts anonymously, means that these posts (data points) taken alone must be questioned -- or at least taken with skepticism.



    However, after following these threads for a while you begin to be able to identify the posters who have reasoned thought processes (even when you disagree with them).



    A post by, say, @mstone carries a lot more weight than a post by @conradjoe.



    So, if @mstone says he will switch to Windows for these reasons -- it's believable and, likely, a valid datapoint.



    How do you Google for valid data points from reasoned thought processes?



    And if you can't -- what are the data points worth?





    Rereading my post, I apologize... it does come across as condescending!



  • Reply 95 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Tweaking the sync is not always as easy as you say. For lip sync, not every part of a songs lyrics is easy to visually align the audio using free form frame at a time nudging. It would be way too tedious especially with multiple cameras. You need to do it by the numbers, not just eyeballing it.



    My point exactly, so far it's an excellent prosumer product ...
  • Reply 96 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Collecting data points is one thing... but assigning confidence to those data points is another.



    You come to a site like AI and on almost any topic you'll get posts by Apple Fanbois and Apple Haters.



    Do you think they offset one another?



    Do you believe that more people will post bitches rather than praises?



    On this particular thread, how many have posted:



    -- this is forcing me to go to Windows



    vs



    -- this is forcing me to stay with OS X





    Now, flip that and go to a Windows site!







    The fact that [almost] everyone posts anonymously, means that these posts (data points) taken alone must be questioned -- or at least taken with skepticism.



    However, after following these threads for a while you begin to be able to identify the posters who have reasoned thought processes (even when you disagree with them).



    A post by, say, @mstone carries a lot more weight than a post by @conradjoe.



    So, if @mstone says he will switch to Windows for these reasons -- it's believable and, likely, a valid datapoint.



    How do you Google for valid data points from reasoned thought processes?



    And if you can't -- what are the data points worth?





    Rereading my post, I apologize... it does come across as condescending!







    Wow .. great post ... I can't wait for the fall out from this one
  • Reply 97 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    Nice post.



    I wonder if the reason why Apple is "ditching" the pro market can be traced back to fact that the pro market never really adopted the NEXT platform and Job held kinda held a grudge against the pro market...



    Quote:

    Update: Harrington later provided clarification via Twitter, saying he did not hear the information first-hand, but rather that it was simply a rumor passed along with an off-hand comment.



    This means you can put away the pitchforks, people. Apple loves Pro uses again

    Blur35mm can return to paying a premium for OS X.
  • Reply 98 of 148
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post


    When Apple was "Apple Computer, Inc." they were more concerned with making powerful Macintosh computers that were used by the publishing, graphic arts, film making, and other creative industries. The higher-end models even echoed some of the high-end workstation-class systems from NEXT. To have an G5 Tower used to be the mark of an accomplished power user. The Apple website would have a front page link to the Pro Story of the week, talking about some business or government or University that deployed a huge IT solution using Apple Pro software and Pro-level Macintosh systems.



    Then Apple went consumer, got into making iPods and selling music, and iPhones, and had a whole ton of non-pros using their products, many of whom thought Macs were too difficult to switch to. So Apple worked on making Macs easier to switch to and even easier to work with those consumer products the non-Pros were buying.



    Then, Apple became "Apple, Inc." They are getting way more money from non-Pros and pro-sumers than the actual Pros... and they've shifted.



    Apple's target market went from University/IT/Creative Pros to middle-to-upper class households that drink Keurig Coffee while they use iPads to read books on their IKEA couch, pondering which wine to have with their Chicken & Gnocchi soup for dinner tonight, as their MacBook Pro is downloading the latest iTunes Movie Rental over 50MB broadband in the living room of a $150K house or $2000/mo apartment in the city, while their Ugg boots dry nicely in the corner beside their North Face winter coat.



    You need to get a life outside this fantasy world you live in. Or get someone to unlock the basement door.
  • Reply 99 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I don't like Lion. I have it on my MBP. At work I run CS5, FCP7, Handbrake, Audio Hijack and Maya on a Mac Pro. On my iMac I use Xcode. I do use iDisk but only until June 2012 apparently. I may quit sooner it is getting really slow. I suspect that Apple might be intentionally slowing it down to motivate people to migrate to iCloud which I have no intention of doing. I will just use Dropbox. I think my .mac email is dead too as I discovered just recently I can no longer receive mail at that address even though that is my iTunes user id.



    I'm holding out until June 2012. Then I'll switch to Lion. Hopefully, you all will have finished beta testing it for Apple
  • Reply 100 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


    You need to get a life outside this fantasy world you live in. Or get someone to unlock the basement door.



    His mom would have to then kick him out of the house. In the basement (or Bat Cave) he will stay, issuing proclamations to the universe!
Sign In or Register to comment.