Google's Schmidt predicts developers will prioritize Android over iOS in 6 months

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    in six months, the majority of iOS devices sold in the last 2+ years will be on iOS 5. in six months, the majority of Android devices sold in the last 2+ years will be 2.3? Not 3 and certainly not 4.
  • Reply 102 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbruni View Post

Isn't it nice to be in a position where even being dead-wrong has no consequences?

on top of having stolen Apple's technology
  • Reply 103 of 170
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

These forums are hilarious. This is apple vs microsoft 2.0, been saying it for awhile now. Apple is great at starting new niches, but cannot win in the long run--either too proud (locking everything down), or too stupid.

They did certainly fail in the online music biz and mp3 player market.

/s
  • Reply 104 of 170
    *sigh*

This article is link bait so people can fly in here and shout "You're dumb!" or "It's going to happen!"

And to the people exclaiming Windows Mobile will somehow take the market in an attempt to deal with the fact that Android is dominating (depending on your view point) : get over yourself. Microsoft came into this battle WAY too late to matter. Verizon is all over Android like a new high school crush. Their marketing stake in Android put it on the map, and unless something drastically changes, will keep it there. No one has shown ANY proof that Windows will somehow take over the market, but anti-Android pundits (not necessarily iOS fans) like shouting from rooftops that it will be the long term successor. PLEASE, SHOW ME WHY. Honestly, I think it'll even off like it is. Android will swallow up a little bit more of the market, iOS will continue its iron grasp on second place and the "upper tier," and Microsoft will continue to poor money it makes off of Android into Windows mobile.

Also, I disagree that Android will be the dominate platform in 6 months. However, I do think it will eventually. And before you start the "there's no money to be made of Android fragmentation and cheapness!" here's what I've observed: a few months ago the chances of you finding a new app or a company app on both Android and iOS was slim to none. It was usually all iOS. Notice how many companies have an app for Android AND iOS. Notice how a few companies (VAST minority) are even premiering apps on Android before iOS. Whether you agree with it or not, the trend has already started. The ball is already rolling my friends.
  • Reply 105 of 170
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

The reality is actually opposite to what you say in this post. For iOS, it's VERY easy to pirate apps. All you have to do is jailbreak and get installous and you're laughing. You can get any app, no problem, and work almost always.

With android, you have to try and hunt down apps on torrent websites, with most of them not being available, and when they are, most of the time they don't work (formatted for a different CPU/GPU, different resolution, etc.).

So with android, I actually buy a lot of apps because I have no choice, but with iOS the story is different.

Total nonsense. So the pirated iOS apps just fall into your lap? Someone comes into your house for you to install the app? Studies have been done - and the number of jailbroken iOS phones is insignificant. And considering that you can install pirated Android apps without jail breaking, which one is easier?

Not to mention that the big picture shows quite clearly that iOS software sales outnumber Android software sales by a substantial margin. That wouldn't be true if most people were pirating their iOS aps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

There'll be lots of comments about how Android is unprofitable for developers and such. Whatever. All this talk is reminiscent of all the threads that said Android would never ever outsell the iPhone (and later when the goalpost moved iOS). Even the supporting arguments have changed. It used to be that nobody would ever want or buy an Android device. Now the argument is that those who buy thme are cheapskates. I'm probably missing a few more stereotypes in here. Others will add them I'm sure.

The difference, of course, is that when people said that no one would buy an Android phone, they were guessing the future.

When it comes to Android vs iOS app sales, we have several years of history to provide factual data to look at. And, clearly, paid iOS apps outsell paid Android apps by a large margin.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is probably true more often than we realize. Here's one data point. I was talking to my nephew over Thanksgiving - an Android fan, but contemplating a used iPhone to jailbreak.

I asked him exactly what it was that he wished to jailbreak the iPhone for, and he gave me a list of possibilities. Told him to go browse the App Store.

It wasn't even the end of the evening by when he had decided it was: (i) utterly pointless to be jailbreaking an iPhone; and (ii) perhaps time to jettison his Android phone (but his mom wouldn't allow him do it before the end of contract).

Exactly. I don't know ANYONE who has a jailbroken iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Speaking from a developers standpoint ... how exactly does Mr. Schmitz propose the fragmentation issue will be resolved in 6 months? Magic?

Of course not. Handwaving, denial, burying your head in the sand, and (since it's Google) outright lies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If I squint my eyes just right, Mr. Schmidt starts to look like Mr. Ballmer.

Or you could just close your eyes and listen - they SOUND identical.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ron1701 View Post

Why should you expect that ? If you buy MS Office for a PC, should you expect to get a free copy if you switch to a Mac ?

That used to be done by some vendors. IIRC, Adobe did it the other way when they were trying to switch Mac customers to Windows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I'm interested to know - why Windows Phone 7. It's not exactly setting the world alight right now. Is Microsoft going to pull off a deus ex machina and suddenly gain a load of marketshare or is this wishful thinking?.

Nokia will be a big help - and Windows Phone 8 actually looks pretty decent. I don't expect MS to suddenly take the lion's share, but I expect their share to grow. And since MS has the tenacity to stick with it, I expect that in a few years they WILL have a respectable market share.
  • Reply 106 of 170
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Actually, he did. Confirmation bias: you only remember what supports your arguments.

Check this article, just one of many. Steve Jobs told many lies, exaggerations, and half-truths, just as any other CEO does.

Steve Jobs' reality distortion takes its toll on truth

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/...toll-on-truth/

What a joke - there are so many inaccuracies in this article that it is laughable. And where is that "volume" selling dell tablet now? Oh yeah, Dell just abandoned it because it was selling so well.
  • Reply 107 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

And monkeys will fly out of my ass within 3 seconds...

3... 2... 1...

what?! i don't see any monkey. does this mean that schmidt may have lied too?
  • Reply 108 of 170
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

These forums are hilarious. This is apple vs microsoft 2.0, been saying it for awhile now. Apple is great at starting new niches, but cannot win in the long run--either too proud (locking everything down), or too stupid.

Yeah. It sure was great when Zune kicked the iPod's ass. I'm sure the new Galaxy Player is selling like hotcakes too.

You're right about one thing though. Google is Microsoft 2.0. Every time Schmidt talks, I'm reminded of the ending of Animal Farm. These two very smart nerds from Stanford get together, form a great company with a great product, and promise each other not to be "evil." But now they are just like Microsoft in the 1990s. But Google isn't making money on Android hand over fist like Microsoft was on Windows, so they're evil like MS, just suck at making any money at it. Maybe that's what they meant by "Don't be evil"
  • Reply 109 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What a joke - there are so many inaccuracies in this article that it is laughable. And where is that "volume" selling dell tablet now? Oh yeah, Dell just abandoned it because it was selling so well.

Regardless of how crappy the the Dell tablet is (and believe me, it's awful ) You can't really argue with that point in the article. The iPad 2 was not the first dual core to sell in volume, and there really isn't any argument against that
  • Reply 110 of 170
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Oh Eric, you really are a special person

Eric and Michael Dell should do lunch and swap predictions about Apple.
  • Reply 111 of 170
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

And people say that we can trust business more than government...

Both say,"Trust me!". Only one is holding a gun.
  • Reply 112 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Regardless of how crappy the the Dell tablet is (and believe me, it's awful ) You can't really argue with that point in the article. The iPad 2 was not the first dual core to sell in volume, and there really isn't any argument against that

The dell tab never sold in volume and that is the point...
  • Reply 113 of 170
    So if you really want to know what Schmidt's "open" world is like, you need to read this Sony blog post on why Ice Cream Sandwich won't be released on their phones FOR MONTHS even though the code has been released by Google... How many ways can you say cluster FK...

http://developer.sonyericsson.com/wp...tware-upgrade/
  • Reply 114 of 170
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Funny things when the Android OS market is fragmented. You'll continue to see iOS first for a very long time. Why? One OS on devices from 4 years ago on is why. The Android market sees several versions out there making it difficult to code to and test against. Develop to the easy and stable platform drawing in money then develop to the larger fragmented market to get brand recognition at least and maybe a bit of money.
  • Reply 115 of 170
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Define volume.
  • Reply 116 of 170
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

*sigh*

This article is link bait so people can fly in here and shout "You're dumb!" or "It's going to happen!"

And to the people exclaiming Windows Mobile will somehow take the market in an attempt to deal with the fact that Android is dominating (depending on your view point) : get over yourself. Microsoft came into this battle WAY too late to matter. Verizon is all over Android like a new high school crush. Their marketing stake in Android put it on the map, and unless something drastically changes, will keep it there. No one has shown ANY proof that Windows will somehow take over the market, but anti-Android pundits (not necessarily iOS fans) like shouting from rooftops that it will be the long term successor. PLEASE, SHOW ME WHY. Honestly, I think it'll even off like it is. Android will swallow up a little bit more of the market, iOS will continue its iron grasp on second place and the "upper tier," and Microsoft will continue to poor money it makes off of Android into Windows mobile.

Also, I disagree that Android will be the dominate platform in 6 months. However, I do think it will eventually. And before you start the "there's no money to be made of Android fragmentation and cheapness!" here's what I've observed: a few months ago the chances of you finding a new app or a company app on both Android and iOS was slim to none. It was usually all iOS. Notice how many companies have an app for Android AND iOS. Notice how a few companies (VAST minority) are even premiering apps on Android before iOS. Whether you agree with it or not, the trend has already started. The ball is already rolling my friends.

Google:

No platform building experience

No UI experience

No hardware experience

No customer support experience

No customer service experience

No retail experience

No real unique vision that we've seen as of yet

A weak eco system

No stable consistent delivery system

Fragmented platform

etc., etc., etc.

They may get there eventually but Apple is already there & moving forward. As far as hardware goes there is nothing that stops Apple from updating hardware on a biannual (or whatever is nec.) basis if that even becomes an issue (hurts sales). So while Google is ironing out all this Apple is not standing still. It ain't gonna happen overnight.
  • Reply 117 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

? No UI experience?

Untrue. You've seen what they've recently done with all of their services? They've change the UI of YouTube (lol, been using ACleanerYouTube for years), Gmail (lol, been using OS X' Mail for years), and the like to a more modern, cleaner look.

And, quite frankly, it looks like they're starting to copy Windows Phone 7 in how their services look.

?

Wouldn't that just be the most hilarious thing? Google getting sued for stealing Microsoft's GUI?
  • Reply 118 of 170
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Schmidt had to be drunk to say developers are more interested in the mere volume of potential customers per Android than the total of actual revenue they get from actual sales from iOS.

but then, advertising is his true business, not sales.
  • Reply 119 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

As a consumer, I don't really like having to buy certain hardware just to run certain software.

You and 3 other guys. Seriously, who picks a phone because a certain app is only available on it? I'll wager almost no one.
  • Reply 120 of 170
    To Google, please get such awesome visionaries like Eric Schmidt out of the company. They are damaging Google's core philosophy.