Google exec expects 'majority' of TVs to have Google TV in 2012

Comments

• Reply 81 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

To be honest I think what he said is more then possible. Consider that three of the largest television makers work with Google's android, Sony, Samsung, and LG. They can easily push more of the other OEMS into doing it to compete with the rumor of the threat of an Apple T.V. The T.V.s have the hardware to do this what they will need to get is a hard drive in some of these TVs and an internet port.

It's definitely possible...but it just seems so unlikely.
  • Reply 82 of 159
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Except, that's not what he said.

"Whether you like Ice Cream Sandwich or not, you will want to develop for it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...n5Ypio#t=2595s

it's like saying, yeah the software might really suck, but because we're everywhere, you'll

want to develop for it anyways. Despite huge fragmentation problems!!
  • Reply 83 of 159
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Colour me skeptical. Are the majority of TVs in stores, now, installed with some smart TV software? The high-end ones show, but there are a lot more TVs than those in stores.

I think that he's right that a majority of tvs could have the Google TV tech in them. Remember that's just 51%.

but that still doesn't mean that folks will buy those TVs. Many probably won't. Many won't be buying TVs right now anyway. TVs aren't like phones where you buy a new one every couple of years. Or even computers with a new one every 3-4 years or so. TVs are long term. Those that are jonesing to get into the HD with 3D have either already bought or are waiting for the next round with the glassless units. Either way, they probably aren't going to be looking any time soon and certainly aren't going to be running to get one with Google or any other special tech inside. If it does, okay. But if it doesn't, they likely won't care.
  • Reply 84 of 159
    pay no attention, he went to the ballmer school of management and marketing
  • Reply 85 of 159
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I have set up my digital life style around the Apple ecosystem,

Apple loves people who use the phrase "my digital life style" without the slightest trace of irony.

Personally, my life style is still analog. Maybe someday I will have a digital life style.
  • Reply 86 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think his last sentence may be implying that Apple is that outside looming threat that would make all the vendors want to get together to defend against Apple, even if it means partnering with Google for Android.

These guys are in it for the money. Whoever offers them the opportunity to make a killing is who they will go with. Be it apple, microsoft or google. Frankly my money is on apple!The history of innovation and execution is on their side.
  • Reply 87 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Maybe when Steve said he'd cracked it he meant he realised that the set top box needs to be built into the TV.

That quote is almost always out of context. Steve was talking about the UI for TVs, cable systems etc. And then he said "I cracked it.".

He wasn't likely talking about a TV set or even a little black box. But the UI of the system inside.

So yes, what we have now might be what he was talking about. And how he meant to present it to the world. Not in a big TV set but in a little discrete black box that you could even mount on the back of your tv to have it out of sight depending on your set up.

Apple Fans, or rather the geek contingent of the Apple Fans, are buying these rumors and analyst comments as fact and waiting. The other 95% have no clue and think the little black box is it and are buying that. And while for some it bombs, I'm getting for over 75% it is 'awesome'
  • Reply 88 of 159
    This Schmidt guy must be related to Steve Ballmer with the crap that comes out of his mouth.
  • Reply 89 of 159
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Lots of irrational talk coming out of Google these days. Feels like they are turning in to RIM. They will be eating their words in 6 months. You can't make a prediction for that short of a timeframe without the actual change happening now. I don't see any change.

Maybe you haven't seen any change, but where have you looked?

Are you privy to the number of Android SDKs downloaded? Do you know the rate, and any trends in the rate?

Have you looked at the design departments of TV manufacturers? Do you know what they were working on last week? The contracts signed by the execs? The plans made by the BOD of Matsushita or Sony in their private meetings?

I don't see any change yet either. But that is no evidence of anything.
  • Reply 90 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

Has Eric Schmidt ever predicted anything accurately?

Has Gene Munster, Shaw Wu etc.

No.

Eric isn't so much predicting as doing the classic "we aren't worried so don't sell your stock" yeah we are doing awesome things move. Yeah it makes him seem like a very special boy but it's not an uncommon tactic.

Meanwhile Munster etc are trying to find a way to negate that so the stock will go down, they can buy it cheap and then if Eric isn't just being special, they can make some money.

Heck why do you think they do that whole "Yeah Apple is selling X great but it wouldn't be as great as it could have been because of supply/lawsuits/tornados/whatever". They need the stock price to come down so clients can buy lower and make more money when the next great thing comes out in 2-3 months and Apple redefines the roof again
  • Reply 91 of 159
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

This is madness!

All the major manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, LG, Sony etc) have their own "Smart TV" platforms.

There would have to be some significant looming outside threat from a company able to disrupt their existing business for them to throw out their own platforms and coalesce around Android as the defacto standard for Smart TV's.

exactly. the last thing the OEM's are going to do, ever, is let Google trap them again into depending on Google for their vital product ecosystem like happened with smartphones.

Sony is the most advanced so far. even tho Sony does sell a Google TV "internet TV" (a total flop), its new generation of HDTV's feature its own version, Home Entertainment Network, and also its own iTunes-like media store, Music/Video Unlimited. these services are also being extended to its PS Certified products - the PS3, Xperia Play Android smartphones, and upcoming PSP Vita (but not so far to its Windows computers). and the entire package of all these services is being built in to its new Android Tablet S/P.

this is a impressive new ecosystem. it is the most like Apple's by far because Sony also makes/sells/supports the full range of hardware for it. there will even be a new generation of Sony retail stores (the previous ones flopped).

but sadly for Sony, its brand has devolved into just one more option in a very crowded but profitless commodity products market, especially HDTV's and its Android products (which emphasizes mixing/matching many other providers' components/services, not just Sony's own). Apple has taken away the premium hardware market niche that Sony held for several decades, very likely permanently. which is why depending on Google's Android for anything is inevitably a dead end for Sony.
  • Reply 92 of 159
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

exactly. the last thing the OEM's are going to do, ever, is let Google trap them again into depending on Google for their vital product ecosystem like happened with smartphones.

Sony is the most advanced so far. even tho Sony does sell a Google TV "internet TV" (a total flop), its new generation of HDTV's feature its own version, Home Entertainment Network, and also its own iTunes-like media store, Music/Video Unlimited. these services are also being extended to its PS Certified products - the PS3, Xperia Play Android smartphones, and upcoming PSP Vita (but not so far to its Windows computers). and the entire package of all these services is being built in to its new Android Tablet S/P.

this is a impressive new ecosystem. it is the most like Apple's by far because Sony also makes/sells/supports the full range of hardware for it. there will even be a new generation of Sony retail stores (the previous ones flopped).

but sadly for Sony, its brand has devolved into just one more option in a very crowded but profitless commodity products market, especially HDTV's and its Android products (which emphasizes mixing/matching many other providers' components/services, not just Sony's own). Apple has taken away the premium hardware market niche that Sony held for several decades, very likely permanently. which is why depending on Google's Android for anything is inevitably a dead end for Sony.

why would Samsung care about Goggle's trap. They have gone from nothing to 25% of the smart phone market.
  • Reply 93 of 159
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

pay no attention, he went to the ballmer school of management and marketing

A fully owned subsidary of the South Homerville Institute of Torpitude
  • Reply 94 of 159
    Google needs to stick Eric in a broom closet and leave him there.
  • Reply 95 of 159
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Has Gene Munster, Shaw Wu etc.

No.

Eric isn't so much predicting as doing the classic "we aren't worried so don't sell your stock" yeah we are doing awesome things move. Yeah it makes him seem like a very special boy but it's not an uncommon tactic.

Google's problem is that you can say "we are doing awesome things" almost with impunity. After all, if you're doing anything at all, you can claim that in your view, it's awesome, so you're not lying. In this case, though, Schmidt made a very specific claim:

Quote:

?By the summer of 2012, the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google TV embedded in it," he said.

When you make a specific claim like that, you're opening yourself up for liability. If by summer of 2012, the majority of TVs in stores do NOT have Google TV, he's just opened themselves up for massive shareholder lawsuits. And if their share price drops between now and then, it could cost them billions.

One of the first things you learn as a CEO is that you NEVER, EVER, EVER make quantitative, factual claims about your future business. Schmidt just violated that major rule.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'm with you 110% on this. What concerns me is if Google did, in fact, ink some deals with all the major players in the TV arena, what kind of choice is that going to leave us with..

I'm with you. If every major brand has Google TV except one, I'll buy the one that doesn't have Google TV. And if EVERY suitable TV has GoogleTV, i'll put off buying a TV as long as possible. My current TVs will continue to work for a long time. The LAST thing I want is Google invading my living room.
  • Reply 96 of 159
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Google needs to stick Eric in a broom closet and leave him there.

Potentially not a good idea with all those cleaning supplies stored there, and the risk of suststance inhalation abuse. Could make matters worse.
  • Reply 97 of 159
    I'm surprised nobody has brought up the Motorola acquisition here. Motorola makes a good portion of all cable boxes in the US (haven't found a number), and this along with Google's partnerships with many of the major TV manufacturers (the same as their phone manufacturers) makes this statement seem pretty plausible. I don't know how Schmidt thinks they'll have market share quite so quickly, but all of the pieces are in place.
  • Reply 98 of 159
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    How does Google fit in the TV market, there only product was a complete failure. To complicated, to expensive, no licensing for any of the content so all of the content providers blocked Google TV. Why would anyone buy and trust Google anymore, especially if you end up with a box and no services of any kind.

Apple is doing it right and I'll wait for Apple to come out with something, even they are the last ones because being first doesn't always mean being the best. Google proved that quite well now didn't they.
  • Reply 99 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing the mobile platform's high volume of sales, Schmidt told developers that they would want to support Android "whether [they] like Ice Cream Sandwich or not."

Wow, the assimilation as the new Microsoft is pretty much complete, isn't it...
  • Reply 100 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Except, that's not what he said.

"Whether you like Ice Cream Sandwich or not, you will want to develop for it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...n5Ypio#t=2595s

Except for the bracketed pronoun change - which is a well-accepted journalistic practice to clarify quotes - how is that any different. Your YouTube reference just flip-flops the two phrases -- "they'll build... whether they like it or not" versus "whether [they] like it or not, they'll build".