Customers line up for grand opening of Apple's Grand Central store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    A lot of you guys are just suckers.

Conrad Joe - I'd toss you outta this forum in a heartbeat if it was my show but, at the same time, I have to hand it to you for your ability to disrupt and hijack a thread with just one comment.

You are the master of disruption... and there is no sarcasm in that statement.

... and the store looks awesome and the crowds coming to see the store should give pause to anyone who thinks Apple's future is in doubt.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Let me guess: They're NOT there for free Black Eyed Peas tickets.

• Reply 43 of 112
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Conrad Joe - I'd toss you outta this forum in a heartbeat if it was my show but, at the same time, I have to hand it to you for your ability to disrupt and hijack a thread with just one comment.

"Just one comment" cannot do anything to a thread. Not by itself.

The threads get disrupted by packs of jackals. Not by me.

Indeed, I usually just ignore them after my point is made.
  • Reply 44 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

A lot of you guys are just suckers.

Yep, I confess to being a sucker, and I confess to trying to get him thrown out.

Again.

Update: Above, the coyote now portrays himself as a baby zebra, nipped at by jackals like me.

The situation: Here we have a good story, maybe a little too good and uncontroversial, about an amazing development, an Apple store in Grand Central Station. There couldn't be a more dramatic example of Apple's retail confidence and boldness, and a bunch of happy and nice-looking people are spending the night to be there. And CJ drops a stink bomb in the thread first thing and says he sees "weirdos" in the line. His disruptive purpose couldn't be clearer. Not acceptable. I am a jackal who would . . . well, never mind.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yep, I confess to being a sucker, and I confess to trying to get him thrown out.

Update: Above, the coyote now portrays himself as a baby zebra, nipped at by jackals like me.

See... he's doing it again. (I can't see him because he's on ignore)

Back to the thread...

One of the great things about the GCS store is that people won't have to wait out in the cold when a new product is being introduced. It'll be interesting to see how GCS management handles the lineups and crowds.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    Quote:

See... he's doing it again.

Back to the thread...

One of the great things about the GCS store is that people won't have to wait out in the cold when a new product is being introduced. It'll be interesting to see how GCS management handles the lineups and crowds.

Great New Yorkish point. Here in So. Cal., many stores are in boring indoor malls, and the outdoors aren't that bad anyway. GCT would be a great place to hang out while waiting in line. Unless you're stuck in that hallway with a bunch of other weirdos, then maybe not.

As we speak, Tom Ashbrook is doing an NPR/On Point show on talking to your phone, as in SIRI and some Android app.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

They do look look normal and happy, don't they? That's why ConradJoe finds them weird.

LOL...yep. A miserable person never sees happiness.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    Quote:

See... he's doing it again.

You are blaming the victim.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Agreed. If that picture invokes "weirdos" in someone's mind I'd question that person's frame of reference. Looks like a modern day Norman Rockwell scene to me.

Norman Rockwell celebrated American life, not rampant consumerism.
  • Reply 50 of 112
    For all the folks hassling ConradJoe, I think you might be;

(a) taking him a little too literally

(b) lacking a sarcasm detector

(c) choosing to filter his comments through the ol' tried and tested 'reality distortion field'

Before I get flamed in a similar manner or called a 'Microsoft troll', 'hateful' or, god forbid, a 'commie' I should point out that I've been a loyal and enthusiastic Apple user for over 20 years now so I would consider myself a somewhat 'qualified' fan.

While those queuing up might not 'look' weird, the act of waiting in such large lines at a busy train station for the opening of a retail store which is offering no new, previously unreleased or exclusive products is to me personally quite 'weird' and I totally 'get' what ConradJoe was trying to say.

Having said that, each to their own, if lining up for hours at a shop for the chance to get a free t-shirt and become a non-paid, walking corporate ad is how you get your kicks, or is your idea of a good time then good for you, just don't be too surprised when those who don't share the same enthusiasm (yet still love Apple products) find your actions a little odd.

I personally find modern Apple fandom to be a tad on the creepy side and if this is what it takes to be be a fan nowadays, then I'm considering changing my fan status and membership to an 'in the closet' status.

Then again, I never understood why Apple gave me a 'logo' sticker with each computer I purchased, did they seriously want me to put it on my car or display it somewhere with pride?
  • Reply 51 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by secretgoldfish View Post

(c) choosing to filter his comments through the ol' tried and tested 'reality distortion field'

Just to be clear, while I strive to be entertaining, there is almost always a serious point to my comments. I usually respond in a serious manner to those who see the point and wish to discuss it, even if they have flung insults in the past. Soli, among others, knows that to be true.

However, I try to just ignore those who respond in a bigoted manner.
  • Reply 52 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by secretgoldfish View Post

Before I get flamed in a similar manner or called a 'Microsoft troll', 'hateful' or, god forbid, a 'commie' I should point out that I've been a loyal and enthusiastic Apple user for over 20 years now so I would consider myself a somewhat 'qualified' fan.

While those queuing up might not 'look' weird, the act of waiting in such large lines at a busy train station for the opening of a retail store which is offering no new, previously unreleased or exclusive products is to me personally quite 'weird' and I totally 'get' what ConradJoe was trying to say.

Having said that, each to their own, if lining up for hours at a shop for the chance to get a free t-shirt and become a non-paid, walking corporate ad is how you get your kicks, or is your idea of a good time then good for you, just don't be too surprised when those who don't share the same enthusiasm (yet still love Apple products) find your actions a little odd.

I personally find modern Apple fandom to be a tad on the creepy side and if this is what it takes to be be a fan nowadays, then I'm considering changing my fan status and membership to an 'in the closet' status.

Then again, I never understood why Apple gave me a 'logo' sticker with each computer I purchased, did they seriously want me to put it on my car or display it somewhere with pride?

Well, I find it odd that people find Apple fans odd yet have absolutely no problem wearing a jersey for their favourite sports team or a t-shirt emblazoned with their favourite band (or better yet, a tattoo) or...

To each his own...
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

LOL...yep. A miserable person never sees happiness.

"ConradJoe has not made any friends yet" (OK, miserable post, he is not the only one in this case, and we do not post on the forum to make friends, do we ? rather a good way to make enemies, uh ?)
  • Reply 54 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

What is more American than a line-up at an Apple store...

(other than, maybe, a line-up at a Walmart store)
  • Reply 55 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

See? I'm a Nigger. So I deserve it.

That was offensive and unnecessary.
  • Reply 56 of 112
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

My American life involves sitting around w/friends playing computer games, playing Dungeons and Dragons (my kids love rolling for me), watching movies and generally being a geek. Sometimes there is camping out for tickets for something. It's a part of life. Not everyone participates in the same way, but a modern Rockwell would likely have people in his paintings gathered around a computer together or folks talking on their phones.
  • Reply 57 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

That was offensive and unnecessary.

How's this:

See? I'm a person who can be abused with impunity. So I deserve it.

Sorry if I caused any offense. I intended to make my point in strong terms, but not to offend anybody.
  • Reply 58 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

a modern Rockwell would likely have people in his paintings gathered around a computer together or folks talking on their phones.

But would he have people in his paintings paying homage to multinational corporations?
  • Reply 59 of 112
    Quote:

From a world perspective, there's very little difference. Picture the Thanksgiving dinner.

To CJ above, the U.S. was the multinational corporation of Rockwell's day. See Marshall McLuhan's The Mechanical Bride.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Quote:

Well, I find it odd that people find Apple fans odd yet have absolutely no problem wearing a jersey for their favourite sports team or a t-shirt emblazoned with their favourite band (or better yet, a tattoo) or...

To each his own...

I too find all those things odd, then again I stopped wearing band t-shirts at around 17, have never had a tattoo and haven't worn a team jersey since going to a game with my dad when I was around 8 and wanted to look like him.

Having said all that, I'd more likely wear a band t-shirt, or a team jersey than wear a t-shirt from a consumer electronics/computer company advertising a store location.

The tattoo though, not a chance, that's for life and I'm old enough to know that what I think is cool now probably won't be so much in a few years time.