Apple TV to take 32% of "Connected TV Player" market this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

So an unannounced, unreleased product that few outside of Apple know what it will do, is going to take 32% of the connected TV market. That's a bit of a wild guess.

Of course, if they said 30%, then that would seem like more of a guess, so better make it 32%, so it looks like there was some reasoning behind it other than it being the total stab in the dark that it is.

Here you go, check it out for yourself ... http://www.strategyanalytics.com/def...viewer&a0=6921
  • Reply 22 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy AppleTV when Xbox 360 and PS3 do so much more.

It helps to use a product before you pass judgement on it.

Quote:

And let's face it, the way to get content on to AppleTV is also less than ideal - where is the USB slot or the Blu Ray drive?

I get it! Because you think it's 1995! Good one!
  • Reply 23 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arjaosx View Post

Apple hasn't even introduced a proper TV yet but already takes 32% from this segment other electronics manufacturers are aiming for.

If they cannot do well against Apple's hobby, what are their chances agains a proper Apple product if later introduced?

Great question. We all know the answer: There will be dozens of "AppleTV Killers."
  • Reply 24 of 117
    Apple TV is fine long as you plan to use iTune and may be something like netflix. But, where is the "Beef" for the internet connect box ? And that is the real "Web Browser" like Google TV has. Like many, I have several apple products in my home. I bought Apple-TV but later sold it on craiglist and bought Sony Google TV blue ray player.

My point is what is wrong with Apple and their fans like me who can not make apple to add browser to apple-tv. Think, if apple-tv has browser along with other things(Air play, iTune,etc..someday app store), than it makes it complete box for the internet connected living room tv box. The official safari addition to apple-tv can make it real killer for other similar box on market.

Rest my case.
  • Reply 25 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While consistently branded as a being "hobby" for Apple, sales of its $99 Apple TV set top box had made it the most popular device in the category, predicted to sell nearly 4 million of the the nearly 12 million TV boxes in the market.

?Apple is leading this nascent market, which it still considers a ?hobby?.? says Jia Wu, Strategy Analytics' Senior Analyst of the Connected Home Devices (CHD) service.

Totally wrong. Insanely wrong. Not even remotely close to factual. Until I see stats that compare apple tv to 360s and PS3s, I outright refuse to entertain even the slightest notion that this is anything more than Apple fanboy propaganda. And that's not even taking into account that the true market comparison would also compare their numbers to connected DVRs you'd get through Dish, Direct TV, and Comcast. There is NO CHANCE that Apple is even remotely making a dent in those numbers. NONE.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    Quote:

I don't know why anyone would buy AppleTV when Xbox 360 and PS3 do so much more. And let's face it, the way to get content on to AppleTV is also less than ideal - where is the USB slot or the Blu Ray drive?

Thanks, I really needed a laugh today.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

So an unannounced, unreleased product that few outside of Apple know what it will do, is going to take 32% of the connected TV market. That's a bit of a wild guess.

Of course, if they said 30%, then that would seem like more of a guess, so better make it 32%, so it looks like there was some reasoning behind it other than it being the total stab in the dark that it is.

I think you better reread the article. Or maybe just read it in the first place.
  • Reply 28 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Here you go, check it out for yourself ... http://www.strategyanalytics.com/def...viewer&a0=6921

I was going to read it until I found out I could buy 20 AppleTVs for the same cost.
  • Reply 29 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Totally wrong. Insanely wrong. Not even remotely close to factual. Until I see stats that compare apple tv to 360s and PS3s, I outright refuse to entertain even the slightest notion that this is anything more than Apple fanboy propaganda.

The only propaganda I see is people thinking they can group game consoles in with the category of device outlined by the Apple TV. That's abject nonsense.

Quote:

There is NO CHANCE that Apple is even remotely making a dent in those numbers. NONE.

Sure there isn't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rash12 View Post

But, where is the "Beef" for the internet connect box ? And that is the real "Web Browser" like Google TV has.

People don't want to browse the web on their TVs. Otherwise it would have taken off in 1985 when the first systems to do anything remotely close to that were first available.

Quote:

Like many, I have several apple products in my home.

But unlike people who actually have Apple products, you seem to have to highlight that for some reason.

Quote:

My point is what is wrong with Apple and their fans like me who can not make apple to add browser to apple-tv.

My QUESTION is: Could you possibly make that a coherent sentence? I'll answer what I think you're asking first, though: No one wants a browser on their TV. Nothing is "wrong with Apple and its fans" (I specifically notice you've used words to not include yourself in that, leading back to my earlier point); something is "wrong" with you. There's a psychological disconnect between the compeer and the TV.

Quote:

Think, if apple-tv has browser along with other things(Air play, iTune,etc..someday app store), than it makes it complete box for the internet connected living room tv box. The official safari addition to apple-tv can make it real killer for other similar box on market.

Not in the slightest. Does XBMC include a browser? Does Boxee? Does Roku? Do ANY of the services that actually compete with the Apple TV other than Google, which HAS TO because that's their business model?

Have you even used a Google TV? That wretched little nub with which you're supposed to move the cursor… ARE THEY COMPLETELY INSANE?! That's not even REMOTELY usable by any human being. Only a masochist with twelve hours to waste getting that cursor to move would want to do that.

Quote:

Rest my case.

So do I.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

I don't know why anyone would buy AppleTV when Xbox 360 and PS3 do so much more. And let's face it, the way to get content on to AppleTV is also less than ideal - where is the USB slot or the Blu Ray drive?

First, it's much simpler to set up and use. only gadgetheads want kitchen sink gizmos like the PS3 that try to do everything (and sometimes not so good).

second, it works great with all your other Apple stuff. nothing else is as integrated as Apple's ecosystem. only techies want to mix and match all kinds of hardware and services to have the latest bells and whistles.

third, for only $99 each you can easily add multiple TV's to your home set up. and it's readily portable too, so you can take it on vacation, etc.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

1. The noise, both Xbox 360 and PS3 are noisy.

2. Power consumption. 360 and PS3 are energy whores.

3. The Size, ATV is tiny.

4. One format to rule them all. Encode all vides into Apple format so they play on all your Apple devices.

5. Airplay

6. Interface

I have a first-generation AppleTV (no airplay!) and a 360 and way prefer the AppleTV. The xbox is fine for gaming, but the media interface is horrendous. Not only is it ugly, but it takes so many clicks to drill down to what you want, if you can even do want you want...

I can queue an album if I scroll through them all, but if I first select by genre then by artist/album, I have to queue up each song individually or create a playlist. That's just stupid.

If I have a season of television shows, I have to keep track of which ones I've watched because the xbox doesn't keep a watched/unwatched flag. That's just lazy.

Same thing for podcast episodes.

If I want to switch between playing media stored on my Mac to stream a video on Netflix, I have to hop up about six levels, scroll to a whole different section (one that doesn't make much sense, like 'xbox live') and then dig down to find Netflix and then wait. And wait...

The xbox was clearly designed to be a gaming console with some media capabilities added as a bit of an afterthought. The AppleTV was designed to be a media device and its interface shows that.
  • Reply 32 of 117
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Apple TV is fine long as you plan to use iTune and may be something like netflix. But, where is the "Beef" for the internet connect box ? And that is the real "Web Browser" like Google TV has. Like many, I have several apple products in my home. I bought Apple-TV but later sold it on craiglist and bought Sony Google TV blue ray player.

My point is what is wrong with Apple and their fans like me who can not make apple to add browser to apple-tv. Think, if apple-tv has browser along with other things(Air play, iTune,etc..someday app store), than it makes it complete box for the internet connected living room tv box. The official safari addition to apple-tv can make it real killer for other similar box on market.

Rest my case.

Technically- you can mirror your ipad/iphone and have safari, email, etc through that. Granted- not the best way to access it- but it is definitely accessible.

But you're right. If you are buying a present for someone who doesn't have ONE apple product or have anything on iTunes, then get them a Roku Box instead of an Apple TV. I don't like the UI as much, but it has much much much more content. But if you have several apple devices, use iTunes a lot, or both- you need an Apple TV to get the most out of your content. I love my ATVs, but if I didn't have iTunes it would be useless to me. But thats kind of the point isn't it.....
  • Reply 33 of 117
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Rest my case.

I understand that this requires additional hardware but with AirPlay mirroring you can have all youre iphone/ipad Apps to show on the TV, including safari and games. The ipad also provides a great way to interface with the web with multi-touch and a virtual keyboard. Lets assume ATV2 provided a built-in safari, you still need a way to interface with it other than a remote.

I also used airplay in the ipad TV network apps a lot. Great way to watch TV series you didnt PvR.

imo ATV2 is more of a great add-on to have for current idevices owner than something you buy has a standalone product.
  • Reply 34 of 117
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

6. Interface

I have a first-generation AppleTV (no airplay!) and a 360 and way prefer the AppleTV. The xbox is fine for gaming, but the media interface is horrendous. Not only is it ugly, but it takes so many clicks to drill down to what you want, if you can even do want you want...

I can queue an album if I scroll through them all, but if I first select by genre then by artist/album, I have to queue up each song individually or create a playlist. That's just stupid.

If I have a season of television shows, I have to keep track of which ones I've watched because the xbox doesn't keep a watched/unwatched flag. That's just lazy.

Same thing for podcast episodes.

If I want to switch between playing media stored on my Mac to stream a video on Netflix, I have to hop up about six levels, scroll to a whole different section (one that doesn't make much sense, like 'xbox live') and then dig down to find Netflix and then wait. And wait...

The xbox was clearly designed to be a gaming console with some media capabilities added as a bit of an afterthought. The AppleTV was designed to be a media device and its interface shows that.

WTF are you posting here for? You aren't allowed to give opinions on this forum if you've used both products. You can only post that one is terrible or not on assumption- not if you've actually owned and used it! Seriously... why are you here?
  • Reply 35 of 117
    Quote:

Rest my case.

you better wake your case up, friend. using screen mirroring lets you display Safari from your iPad on your HDTV today. and this provides a vastly superior UI compared to any browser on any STB, ever, period. it's actually usable!
  • Reply 36 of 117
    Quote:

Jia Wu

Don't tell me... Shaw Wu finally had to change his name to get a job.
  • Reply 37 of 117
    We have a PS3 and 2 AppleTVs, and the ATVs do the lion's share of video work in our place. The PS3 is great for gaming and BluRays, but in our Apple home a lot of its other media features aren't used.
  • Reply 38 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The regular whining and delusional posters come chiming in followed by the rational posters who put them in their place. Not much for me to add to that conversation.

I do expect a new AppleTV for 2012. Hopefully an SDK and App Store, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I need another one but can't decide if I should wait for v.3.

It's only $99 but at this point I would wait. I think by February we'll have an idea of what Apple will bring to the future of the HEC. Personally I'm waiting on getting a TV, too. I still don't see how a TV makes sense over an fully integrated AppleTV A/V Receiver or other options, but I'm trying to keep an open mind so I'm waiting.

PS: Anyone using Samsung's AirPlay clone, AllShare?
  • Reply 39 of 117
    Apple TV is a great Apple ecosystem accessory. it only needs two things to become a "killer" product:

1. HDMI inputs and a revamped main screen showing their active content in PIP buttons, so it can become your TV's home screen, that you can then control the selected input with apps like Tivo's, Xfinity's, etc. - all from your iOS device, not some IR remote.

2. a totally reworked iOS Remote app to control your ATV itself. the current app is really lame.
  • Reply 40 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

1. The noise, both Xbox 360 and PS3 are noisy.

2. Power consumption. 360 and PS3 are energy whores.

3. The Size, ATV is tiny.

4. One format to rule them all. Encode all vides into Apple format so they play on all your Apple devices.

5. Airplay

I have 3 x xbox 360's and 1 PS3 in my home. If they were used for video playback I would have a monty power bill.

6. Plays Apple Lossless.

7. I don't want a PS3 for every TV but $99 is a good price to have four Apple TVs.

8. Already have a Blu-ray player and I'm not wiling to downgrade to a PS3. Can't stand the bluetooth remote with the PS3 anyway.