Apple TV to take 32% of "Connected TV Player" market this year

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I have a PS3 and a DirecTV DVR. The reason I mention the DVR is because I use the free video on demand service quite a lot. One recent example is I downloaded the entire season of the new Starz series Boss. Unlike some people, I quite like Netflix and found a lot of good movies and shows. Watched the first 3 season of Breaking Bad and the first season of the Walking Dead on Netflix and the latest seasons free with VOD.

I find the PS3 does a great job not only with Netflix, but also playing other files from my Mac with a program called Playback which can stream and open pretty much any video as well as photos and music. No lagging, buffering, or audio issues at all. And Plyaback will play pretty much any video format without needing to convert it unlike AppleTV.

I am surprised just how few people take advantage of the free video on demand service on DirecTV and maybe other providers. After I told some friends and family about it they started using it, but they didn't even know about it prior to that. For people without cable or satellite I can see the use of buying content from Apple TV, Hulu, Amazon, etc..but if you have a DVR, no need to pay for shows you missed, just use the VOD.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

1. PS3 makes a noise. Apple TV2 is silent. Sorry, the PS3 uses a fucktonne of energy. The A4 in the Apple TV2 uses little. PS3 slim uses between 75 and 95 watts, ATV uses 16-19 watts. ATV2 uses 6 watts max.

3. Apple TV2 is tiny

4. They play with only stereo audio on ps3

5. The article is reference to the Apple TV2 seeing as they no longer make the first. It's only $99 for a new more efficient environmentally friendly ATV2

For a video playback device a console is overkill, on size, noise and power consumption. Its for this reason I got Apple TV2's for the kids rooms, rather than using their consoles. Now we have 3 ATV2 in total.

I don't hear any noise from my PS3. Energy? Yep I am an energy hog with my PS3, plasma HDTV, home theater. It is the price I pay for my entertainment. If I was too concerned about energy, I would turn everything off and go on a bicycle ride.
  • Reply 103 of 117
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You and Firefly7475 should realize these deals for HBOGO and other channels/networks are new to the 360. You guys make it sound it like it's been there since day one.

and, again, if you have an ipad or iphone you can airplay network show using there app, its not like there is no way around it.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

HBOGO is an iOS app.... It's 'seems' largely an Apple issue to put existing 'content' apps on the ATV. Although there is airplay mirroring.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

and, again, if you have an ipad or iphone you can airplay network show using there app, its not like there is no way around it.

No you can't.
  • Reply 105 of 117
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

1. PS3 makes a noise. Apple TV2 is silent. Sorry, the PS3 uses a fucktonne of energy. The A4 in the Apple TV2 uses little. PS3 slim uses between 75 and 95 watts, ATV uses 16-19 watts. ATV2 uses 6 watts max.

3. Apple TV2 is tiny

4. They play with only stereo audio on ps3

5. The article is reference to the Apple TV2 seeing as they no longer make the first. It's only $99 for a new more efficient environmentally friendly ATV2

For a video playback device a console is overkill, on size, noise and power consumption. Its for this reason I got Apple TV2's for the kids rooms, rather than using their consoles. Now we have 3 ATV2 in total.

1. Yes, the PS3 makes a noise, it has a fan in it, but it doesn't make a lot of noise. My first gen Mac Mini makes a lot more noise than with of my PS3's (fat), the the thin makes hardly any.

2. The AppleTV has a limited function set, the original is a energy whore considering what it does. Also, my PS3s have a switch on the back of them, I switch them off when not using them, doesn't use any energy then.

3. Yeah? All is just a media player, there is no reason for them to be large, the PS3 does a lot more, it has an optical drive in it, and a hard drive.

4. Hmm, since you are massively wrong here, why should I believe you on anything else? All the DVD's I convert play in DD 5.1 on my PS3? Maybe you should use Handbrake and use the correct settings?

5. Yet everyone here references the original PS3 fat, the model they don't make anymore. Why should I purchase ATV2, they cost $170, and it will be another product Apple will dump and stop providing updates for.

My kids don't have TVs in their bedrooms, and the units only use energy when they are on. Why do you leave them on so much? Or do you dump your kids in front of the TV constantly? And I can purchase a lot of power for $170, can't see the benefit in spending money when it will take years (and Apple would have dumped it by then) to get any cost benefit from it.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Oppo BDP-95 rips a PS3 to shreds even before ModWright gets ahold of it.

Yes, lovely player, and locally it costs nearly 3x the price of a PS3
  • Reply 107 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yes, lovely player, and locally it costs nearly 3x the price of a PS3

For the money (it's subsidized) the PS3 is a fantastic blu-ray player for people who will use all of it. It's horrid for analog audio, hasn't done SA-CD since the 2nd gen 80 Gig (which I own because my gen 1 croaked), has never supported DVD-Audio, the slim PS3s are a a lot noisier than my standalone, sizable power usage difference, form factor, integration with existing remote control. . .

In context, I was not knocking the PS3, rather stating reasons why some might prefer an AppleTV purchase over a PS3. In point, already owning or preferring a better transport for the Blu-ray experience. Like I said, I own a PS3 but not for Blu-ray and not for the home theater - the play room.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

HBOGO is an iOS app.... It's 'seems' largely an Apple issue to put existing 'content' apps on the ATV. Although there is airplay mirroring.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but does it work with AirPlay mirroring? If not, that's why it's not on the AppleTV.

Simply because an iOS app exists, doesn't mean the content providers will allow it to work everywhere. Look at what Google faced with the Google TV and the blocking of Hulu. This is hardly an issue limited to Apple.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc. are not the issue - the content providers are. Want to see it change more quickly? Fully support every Netflix, Amazon Prime or other attempts at funding content created by them. Even if you don't really care for the series that the likes of Netflix are funding - stream 'em! That's the only way the dinosaurs in Hollywood will wake up and take notice.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy AppleTV when Xbox 360 and PS3 do so much more. And let's face it, the way to get content on to AppleTV is also less than ideal - where is the USB slot or the Blu Ray drive?

Clearly you just don't get it.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

For the money (it's subsidized) the PS3 is a fantastic blu-ray player for people who will use all of it. It's horrid for analog audio, hasn't done SA-CD since the 2nd gen 80 Gig (which I own because my gen 1 croaked), has never supported DVD-Audio, the slim PS3s are a a lot noisier than my standalone, sizable power usage difference, form factor, integration with existing remote control. . .

In context, I was not knocking the PS3, rather stating reasons why some might prefer an AppleTV purchase over a PS3. In point, already owning or preferring a better transport for the Blu-ray experience. Like I said, I own a PS3 but not for Blu-ray and not for the home theater - the play room.

I realise that, I think people on this site think their solution is the best for everyone, where it won't be in most circumstances. It doesn't make sense for me to purchase two ATV2s for my TVs at $170 each, I already have a PS3 on both that work just as well (and $170 will purchase a lot of power which cancels the power argument). Plus the PS3 will handle all the blu-ray audio formats, supports 3D, handles all my DVD rips, and my iTunes music library as well
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only propaganda I see is people thinking they can group game consoles in with the category of device outlined by the Apple TV. That's abject nonsense.

Abject nonsense is pretending these devices don't offer the same or better functionality at the same pricepoint simply to push your own agenda, whatever nonsensical agenda that is.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

And another... really?!?!?!?!

They're all drinking the koolaid. I hate fanboiz who blindly follow a brand regardless of its merit. It's like watching a sony forum here sometimes. Most of the time you can ignore it, but every once in a while it's so far away from reality that all you can say is "REALLY???!?!??!?"
  • Reply 113 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcha101 View Post

Clearly you just don't get it.

Or clearly you just don't get it. Apple TV offers nothing the xbox or ps3 hasn't already offered for years and years... except for money that goes in apples pocket. that's new for apple.
  • Reply 114 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

They're all drinking the koolaid. I hate fanboiz who blindly follow a brand regardless of its merit. It's like watching a sony forum here sometimes. Most of the time you can ignore it, but every once in a while it's so far away from reality that all you can say is "REALLY???!?!??!?"

I don't think it's everyone... but there are certainly a select few members that have gone well beyond fanatical. To try and claim the AirPlayed iPad 2 games look better than PS3 and X360 is just crazy.

I'll post one more image. This time GT4/Real Racing 2/GT5. I'll let people make up their own minds.

• Reply 115 of 117
    Quote:

Abject nonsense is pretending these devices don't offer the same or better functionality at the same pricepoint simply to push your own agenda, whatever nonsensical agenda that is.

Mind telling me where I can get an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $99? You can't even get a Wii for $99.

Also (subjective), the functionality isn't better when the means by which to interact is worse.

Quote:

Or clearly you just don't get it. Apple TV offers nothing the xbox or ps3 hasn't already offered for years and years?

Sure it doesn't.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I realise that, I think people on this site think their solution is the best for everyone, where it won't be in most circumstances. It doesn't make sense for me to purchase two ATV2s for my TVs at $170 each, I already have a PS3 on both that work just as well (and $170 will purchase a lot of power which cancels the power argument). Plus the PS3 will handle all the blu-ray audio formats, supports 3D, handles all my DVD rips, and my iTunes music library as well

I completely agree. You've stated the point I was struggling to make in a round about and rhetorical fashion. The solution set I have may not match someone else's but neither is wrong. It's about fit.

PEACE!
  • Reply 117 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mind telling me where I can get an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $99? You can't even get a Wii for $99.

The point isn't necessarly that you can't get those devices for a set price point, the point can be, if you already own them, you don't necessarly get any benefit from purchasing a new item