Apple TV to take 32% of "Connected TV Player" market this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

WTF are you posting here for? You aren't allowed to give opinions on this forum if you've used both products. You can only post that one is terrible or not on assumption- not if you've actually owned and used it! Seriously... why are you here?

LOL! My apologies. I'll go sit in the corner now
  • Reply 42 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Apple TV is a great Apple ecosystem accessory. it only needs two things to become a "killer" product:

1. HDMI inputs and a revamped main screen showing their active content in PIP buttons, so it can become your TV's home screen, that you can then control the selected input with apps like Tivo's, Xfinity's, etc. - all from your iOS device, not some IR remote.

2. a totally reworked iOS Remote app to control your ATV itself. the current app is really lame.

Love my AppleTV. Best $99 I've ever spent. For me personally, it's worth it for the internet radio alone - love being able to get all that music through my home theater setup. My only two wants for it are a Hulu app and a subscription model for watching TV shows. Don't really want to pay $1 per episode, and I for darn sure don't want to own any episodes. But yeah, the thing is great.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

1. The noise, both Xbox 360 and PS3 are noisy.

2. Power consumption. 360 and PS3 are energy whores.

3. The Size, ATV is tiny.

4. One format to rule them all. Encode all vides into Apple format so they play on all your Apple devices.

5. Airplay

I have 3 x xbox 360's and 1 PS3 in my home. If they were used for video playback I would have a monty power bill.

1. the PS3 isn't noisy, neither of mines make much noise at all.

2. PS3 isn't an energy whore, the first gen was, but so is the first gen Apple TV

3. I have the first gen AppleTV, it isn't that tiny

4. You mean just like the PS3? All my videos play fine on my AppleTV, PS3 and iPods

5. What's that, my Apple TV doesn't have anything called Airplay on it, Apple dumped it and no longer adds features, unlike Sony that is still providing firmware updates for my 2007 european release PS3

I know what you mean about the power usage, I have unplugged my first gen AppleTV because it uses so much power, and except for pulling the power there is no way of physically turning it off.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

6. Plays Apple Lossless.

7. I don't want a PS3 for every TV but $99 is a good price to have four Apple TVs.

8. Already have a Blu-ray player and I'm not wiling to downgrade to a PS3. Can't stand the bluetooth remote with the PS3 anyway.

Downgrade to a PS3? It is still the best featured blu-ray player there is
  • Reply 45 of 117
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Not in the slightest. Does XBMC include a browser? Does Boxee? Does Roku? Do ANY of the services that actually compete with the Apple TV other than Google, which HAS TO because that's their business model?

Have you even used a Google TV? That wretched little nub with which you're supposed to move the cursor? ARE THEY COMPLETELY INSANE?! That's not even REMOTELY usable by any human being. Only a masochist with twelve hours to waste getting that cursor to move would want to do that.

So do I.[/QUOTE]

I have XBMC on a mac mine. I haven't found a way to browse from it but you can browse using safare though and it is very worthwhile for searching for and viewing content. It is especially useful for checking out TV stations.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Don't you know better that to bring up Blu Ray to this crowd? Steve (rip) said no to blu ray a while back so that makes it the enemy.

Like flash on iOS.

Like matte screens.

Like USB 3.0 and camera card slots.

Like intel chips. Well, the fan base kinda caved on that one.

According to Apple you don't need physical media. "but what about home movies.". You ask? How do you share them with you're family in hi def quality? Simple. Use the MobileMe web gallery. But you had better hurry. You only have a few months left before they kill that too.

You don't have to be completely sarcastic. While it's true that Flash on iOS didn't happen, it didn't happen for some very good reasons. Matte screens are available on MacBook Pros if you really want them, most Macs have camera card slots and USB 3.0 will arrive when Ivy Bridge shows up in the spring.

Physical media was something Steve really didn't like in later years and given the licensing issues regarding Blu-Ray, Apple never considered it worth the trouble. Blu-Ray licensing required OS-level DRM at many different layers, which was something Apple didn't want to implement. They were already leading the charge away from DRM in the music business. That was the "bag of hurt" Steve was referring to.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

1. the PS3 isn't noisy, neither of mines make much noise at all.

My PlayStation 3 is too LOUD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYka...eature=related

Noisy PS3 Fan ??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omYGH...eature=related

Super Loud PS3 Fan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAMzD...eature=related
  • Reply 48 of 117
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: Anyone using Samsung's AirPlay clone, AllShare?

Not for video. Though I have tried it and it works. I use it to stream music from my Macbook Pro to my Phone, which I connect to my HiFi. Allshare was around before Airplay, so it isn't a clone.
  • Reply 49 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

The main thing Apple TV is missing is apps. No, I'm not talking about facebook or angry birds. I'm talking about apps that serve up video content. Obviously, Hulu comes to mind, but once the app floodgates are open, some pretty marvelous things could follow.

Netflix is allowed because their TV episodes and movies are usually 1-2 years out of date. Hulu/Hulu+ runs current season and new episodes on a 1 week delay which is, of course, in conflict with iTunes TV and Movie sales. So something will need to change before Hulu-like services or apps are allowed.

Quote:

Instead of paying $60 a month for 500 channels that I don't watch on cable just so I can have three or four that I DO watch, I'd rather pay a few bucks a month for a Comedy Central app so I could watch the Daily Show and Colbert.

I'd also like a data only iPhone4 cellular plan so that I can do all my phone calls and texting through a VoIP app. But that's not going to happen. AT&T, VZW, Sprint, T-Mo, they all want to force the $40 "call package" and $20 "unlimited" texting.

HBO's exec is all hot and bothered and labeling anyone using a Roku or AppleTV like device "cord cutters". Vowing to -*never*- offer their content on such devices. You're supposed to be paying $60 - $100 a month, not just $5-10 for the few channels you actually want. To Comcast / TimeWarner / Cox / HBO etc ... what you're doing is highway robbery.

They won't stand for this!
  • Reply 50 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post

I'd also like a data only iPhone4 cellular plan so that I can do all my phone calls and texting through a VoIP app. But that's not going to happen. AT&T, VZW, Sprint, T-Mo, they all want to force the $40 "call package" and $20 "unlimited" texting.

I'd like a phone-only iPhone plan, but that's not going to happen. They all want to force the $30 'data package' and $? 'texting' nonsense.
  • Reply 51 of 117

How about when I get home I'll post a video of my Mac Mini and the fan going mad on it?

Neither of my PS3s make loud noises

EDIT: I like how you post videos of the original model, why not videos of the PS3 slim that has been available for years?
  • Reply 52 of 117
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

HDMI inputs and a revamped main screen showing their active content in PIP buttons, so it can become your TV's home screen, that you can then control the selected input with apps like Tivo's, Xfinity's, etc. - all from your iOS device, not some IR remote.

Not sure how this would work exactly- but I love it.

I'd kill to never have to change inputs on my TV and just change it on my ATV.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    The future of AppleTV is indeed an interesting one. The actual Apple television screen product is one of the worst kept secrets in the industry and now apparently everyone believes Apple will do this product, not just Gene Munster. But even if Apple sells a bunch of TVs, the set top box AppleTV is still necessary since it's a gateway to everyone who doesn't own an Apple branded television.

From a hardware standpoint, a 1080p version powered by an A6 makes a lot of sense. What it does past that is anyone's guess. I've always thought that a box like this is Sony and Microsoft's worst nightmare concerning the gaming community. Both the Xbox360 and PS3 are ancient in terms of hardware. The PS3 I own was a tech beast of its day....7 cores PPC and bad@ss graphics....but that was five years ago. The Xbox360 is even older. A four core AppleTV can easily compete with either of those systems, both in performance and graphics, all while being much more efficient in power consumption. With a strong iOS gaming development community, the existing console gaming world is ripe for disruption, especially if the price is right.

The big problem for making it a gaming console concerns large scale storage. The current AppleTV only has 8 GB of storage, mostly as a caching function. Some of the larger PS3 and XBOX360 games rely on spinning discs for delivery of larger games and hard disks for installations. SSDs are still pretty expensive. You could have a PC/Mac on the network to locally store larger games but that's a pain. Using a built in hard drive would be seen as a step backwards. The cloud could work but the performance is going to be a big problem, even now. When the PS3 network was down this past year, no one was able to play any game, despite that they were locally stored. And finally, Apple will need to make a real game controller.

Honestly, video content is the easy part....the big issue is business models and contracting. There is no technical hurdle.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd like a phone-only iPhone plan, but that's not going to happen. They all want to force the $30 'data package' and $? 'texting' nonsense.

They are available quite easily outside the US
  • Reply 55 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They are available quite easily outside the US

And this makes it more likely to happen here? It's just not going to happen.
  • Reply 56 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not exactly sure why I got that response... You want to cut your contract one way and I want to cut it another way.

Either way... "They" don't want it. But devices like AppleTV are allowing us to cut away the crap. Similar to how iTunes music busted "record" sales. Now you just buy the songs you want. You don't have to pay for the other crap included.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Not sure how this would work exactly- but I love it.

I'd kill to never have to change inputs on my TV and just change it on my ATV.

AppleTV sits between your components and the TV/monitor just like an A/V receiver. Your HDMi video out goes to TV/monitor and all your HDMI inputs are for your other devices. TV/monitor never moves off the HDMI, it even plugs into the AppleTV A/V receiver so it will power on when you use the ATV remote. AppleTV UI overlays all your input accessories as needed.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post

Not exactly sure why I got that response... You want to cut your contract one way and I want to cut it another way.

I'm highlighting how the iPhone hasn't done for cellular telephony what the iPod and iTunes did for music.

Until Apple themselves say to the telecoms, "Your customers get to choose whatever plan they want when they use an iPhone or you don't get to carry it," nothing WILL change.

But they'll never say that. So we'll never have that.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    Hm.. ok. I will concede that. Optimistically, though, that certainly could happen. But, it can't happen right now. ATT/ VZW would drop iPhone like a bad habit, leaving Apple high and dry if they did such, -at this point-.
  • Reply 60 of 117
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy AppleTV when Xbox 360 and PS3 do so much more. And let's face it, the way to get content on to AppleTV is also less than ideal - where is the USB slot or the Blu Ray drive?

$99

How much is an X-Box 360 or PS3?

Do they work well with Macs and iOS devices i.e. AirPlay?

PS Why doesn't my Sony Blueray player play the content from my PS3 media server, you can see the files but I always get a corrupt file message after a wait, with my Apple TV I can play anything in my iTunes library.