Apple releases Apple TV 4.4.4, tweaks iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released a new software update for its Apple TV set-top box, and also issued a tweaked version of iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S users.

Details on the two software updates are not known, but users can update their Apple TV directly on the device to software version 4.4.4. The direct download of the software update shows it is a 378MB file.

Also available for download is a new build of iOS 5.0.1, labeled 9A406, for the iPhone 4S. The new build is still identified as iOS 5.0.1, which was released last month in an effort to address bugs related to battery life and Documents in the Cloud.

iPhone 4S owners who are already running iOS 5.0.1 are not prompted to update to the new build 9A406, as iOS software update instructs users they are already running the latest version of iOS. Build 9A406 was silently released by Apple on Thursday, and no details of any changes from the previous build were provided.

Apple is already hard at work on the next software update for its mobile operating system in the form of iOS 5.1. The latest beta issued to developers on Monday added the ability to delete individual Photo Stream pictures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Anyone have specifics on Apple TV update?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Only that until I know more, I won't be installing it. I love my Apple TV [though don't ask me about Netflix - I've stopped defending that sad circus!], but given the Apple TV update issues earlier this fall, I'll withhold updating until I know 4.4.4 works!
  • Reply 3 of 28
    People are quiet here today, you're falling behind. In a thread on MacRumors, someone's discussed that an Apple TV 5.0 seed is already out. And iLounge is reporting that this 4.4.4 merely addresses some minor glitches in displaying some video [without going into details].

C'mon AI, we can't lose ground in the rumor race!
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I sure hope this AppleTV update fixes the AirPlay streaming problem I've been having since the last update. Everyone I know who has an AppleTV is experiencing it.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

I sure hope this AppleTV update fixes the AirPlay streaming problem I've been having since the last update. Everyone I know who has an AppleTV is experiencing it.

would be nice!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

One thing seems to help me, that is manually turn OFF the mirroring if you are going to airplay your iPhone videos. Its still slow as molasses to "send your 60 second video" but it usually works.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Not fixed. At least not for me.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Works with Hulu Plus now...

Previous purchased TV shows are easier to navigate and re-watch now.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Seems to fix the problem I was having of starting AirPlay audio when the Apple TV was asleep. The Apple TV would wake up, but it displayed Unknown for Song, Artist, and Album, and wouldn't play. Looks like it's working after this update.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Works with Hulu Plus now...

How's that? Or, are you being sarcastic?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

How's that? Or, are you being sarcastic?

Up until today I haven't been able to get Hulu and AirPlay to work... Works now though.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Certainly not AI. WTF kind of an article is this?

Why didn't they download the software and check it out for us?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I'm wondering what the iOS 5.0.1 update is? Both my iTunes account and my iPhone say there is no more recent version than what I already had installed.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    ummm... wha? Why is this changed with no new version number? I'm baffled.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I'm wondering what the iOS 5.0.1 update is? Both my iTunes account and my iPhone say there is no more recent version than what I already had installed.

Since the OS number didn't change, I'd bet there was something wrong with the install process itself that needed to be repaired.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Currently, there's no info on the Apple Support web site which identifies features included in this update. From other souces, 4.4.4 does not appear to include any additional features (such as in 4.4).

Apparently, there may have been some performance and stability inprovements, and fixing errors associated with video content. (Source: MacRumors)

All in all, appears to be a maintenance update at this point.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Up until today I haven't been able to get Hulu and AirPlay to work... Works now though.

I gotcha now, I originally thought you meant that Hulu+ functionality was added to Apple TV.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    The iOS 5.0.1 tweak is probably just a fix for the pending untethered jailbreak.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

The iOS 5.0.1 tweak is probably just a fix for the pending untethered jailbreak.

I don"t think so because the JB already works with 5.0.1.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    From Apple:

Apple TV Software Update 4.4.4

Feature\tSummary

Stability and performance\tApple TV software version 4.4.4 includes general performance and stability improvements, including a fix for an issue that displayed an error when playing some video content.