Android device activations reach 700,000 per day

Comments

• Reply 241 of 276
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlejon1 View Post

That's a phenomenal number - unbelievable. Assuming a 7 billion population and no repeat buyers, everyone on earth would have an android within 2.7 years (1,000 days).

700,000 cannot be true.

It reminds me of when Cabella's opened a store in my area. The state gov't said it would bring 4 million tourists per year - that's 10,958 tourists per day. Not gonna happen.

A billion, Thats 1000 million. At 7 billion, thats 7000 million. I million is 10*100000. (7000*10*100000)/700000. Thats 10000 days i.e. 273 years assuming population stays the same. Did you use the calculator on your iphone?
  • Reply 242 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

This kind of reasoning is exactly is wrong, gets pretty tiring hearing this argument over and over again. Yes, the single most number of devices sold is Apple. But do you think that is what it will be in the long run? In the end, this is so much like Windows vs Mac. Death by a thousand cuts.

Between Windows and the Mac... which one has suffered a death by a thousand cuts?

By your logic... Apple should have scrapped the Mac long ago because they didn't have enough market share. But they didn't scrap it. Why? Because the Mac makes them a decent amount of money. And that's the point you're missing.

Apple made $1.8 Billion in PROFIT on Macs last quarter. Who cares what their market share number is?

Market share is just that... a number. It's a percentage of one thing ranked against the others. That's it. It has nothing to do with the sustainabilty of a business. It's just a ranking.

You know there are companies who post losses in a quarter, right? They have to stand up in front of their shareholders and basically say "we suck... our profit did not exceed our expenses... we're sorry"

Apple doesn't have that problem... and they likely won't in my lifetime. Go ahead and tell us the story of Apple in the 80s and 90s if that makes you feel better.... but Apple is a whole different company now.

The Mac has 5% worldwide computer market share... and makes Apple billions and billions in profit. I don't see a problem with that...

Quote:

If it drops down to 10% and is still the single biggest handset by volume, it has bragging rights, but might not be anything more than that.

Apple made $5.1 Billion in PROFIT last quarter from the iPhone... and that's with 15% of worldwide smart phone market share.

Tell me why Apple must have the most market share to be taken seriously...
  • Reply 243 of 276
    The future of both platform looks bright to me. iOS will continue to be popular among a lot of people while Android is doing the marvelous job of converting feature phone users to Smartphone users. Both complement each other very nicely. To a lot of people, Android is the first car (Toyota or Honda) and iOS is the dream car (Lexus/Ferrari). Yes, Android have some very nice high end phone but truly the numbers are coming from the mid/low range phones. I know this because I work for a Telecom Operator and know the facts. I do not have to "estimate", a quick analysis of IMEIs of the handsets and their usage tells a lot.

I do not see any iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S2 unsold in shelves. Apples market share is leveling as more people are starting to use Smartphone than Apple is selling then. Samsung is utilizing some low priced good phone but they will also see declining market share once others (HTC, LG) come gung ho. It is natural. However, if the total market grew like this, there will be enough space for all large players (Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia) to pay around.

Some people are bringing up the example of Microsoft and Apple of the 80s and predicting Apples demise. Let me point out some big differences -

1. Apple have lot more revenue and Cash now. in The 80s, Apple had high per unit profit but sold few units. So, they made very little profit even when they were the "Hot Tech company". Now they are selling millions and earning billions. $80 billion in Cash is no joke. If cornered, they can use this pile to lower price of their products although that will not be necessary in near future.

2. Google is not earning directly from Android. Microsoft on the other hand, earned a hefty amount from each copy of DOS/Windows sold. Google earning a handsome amount from Ad revenue and that will continue. However, it will not matter to Google if they are able to serve at other platforms.

3. Apple was seen as a "good but very expensive" computer maker. Today it is a consumer electronics maker with reasonable price. Yes, iPad is not that costlier than other similar configured Tablets. iPhone is not very much expensive than Galaxy S2. And considering the volume purchasing discounts, Apple can easily lower its price.

All in all, both Google and Apple are smart companies who will continue to do well. We, consumers like to have this as demise of either will be harmful.
  • Reply 244 of 276
    if you break them by model, the sheer number of Android models makes it impossible for a single one to stand out. I believe only the Samsung Galaxy series has a large enough share to be worth mentioning separately. To add to the confusion, US carriers give different names on what is essentially the same model phone, and those sometimes get counted separately.

• Reply 245 of 276
    While I do own several Apple products what people here fail to see is the past. Learn from mistakes or you are doomed to repeat. Look at history. Apple did make massive amounts of profits in the past but it hit a peak then hit a steady decline. You can only maximize profits for so long but when you lose market share its a cascade effect.
  • Reply 246 of 276
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

A billion, Thats 1000 million. At 7 billion, thats 7000 million. I million is 10*100000. (7000*10*100000)/700000. Thats 10000 days i.e. 273 years assuming population stays the same. Did you use the calculator on your iphone?

Ugh, you're both wrong. 10,000 days is 27.4 years.

A lot can happen in 27 years...
  • Reply 247 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

The top selling Android phones are all high end phones...

you're such a dishonest person it's sad.

you always do this...

that's not the f'cking point!

for each highend android smartphone there are lots and lots of free or very cheap models.. stop being so stupid and obtuse please. this is a fact, obviously.

those highends android represent only a fration of android sales, and the proof is that apple outsells all of them together at least 5 for one.

this activation number isn't real (i have already tried dozens of roms, for example) but even with 75pc of activations it shows how many lowend android phones are in the nature.

after a deep analisys they are all lowend for the costumer. almost no one is buying any highend android phone unless they program for android or if they are 30yo basement kids.

obviously a tiny percentage of them are exceptions. maybe they like cheap and junk... maybe they cant buy an iphone.. maybe they tought they bought an iphone.
  • Reply 248 of 276
    i really hope that android get-s at least 80% market share.

apple will still sell all iphones they can produce and the iphone will still have their @status@, just like ferrari, and apple will be very competitve.

then, the funny thing will be when the general population goes for round 2, this means>

all (almost) of them have smartphones

the end of this crysis

time to buy another smartphone..

my prediction, this is when android will get killed.

even if no OEM creates their own OS (unlikely due to moto aquisition) or goes for MS or another company, people will know what a smartphone is and what a smartphone can do and believe me, they will want an iphone. it is an fact that 2nd time and 3rd time smartphone buyers go for the iphone (if they can), it is also fact that no one (almost) goes to android after using iphones.

obviously, google is an amazing company. they are evil when they can and that is a pre/requisite for any company, even apple.

no free lunch, right?

humm.. google has a bad plan to capitalize on every android costumer.
  • Reply 249 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Apple made $5.1 Billion in PROFIT last quarter from the iPhone... and that's with 15% of worldwide smart phone market share.

Tell me why Apple must have the most market share to be taken seriously...

Good question. And let's not forget that the absolute sales numbers for iPhones just keep growing.

But it can be flipped around - with growing sales, tons of profits and cash in the bank for Apple, why do fanboyz have to be all defensive every time a data point favorable to Android is released? Take a look at all the denials in this thread alone! I would still enjoy using my iPhone if I am the only one on earth to have one.
  • Reply 250 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

almost no one is buying any highend android phone unless they program for android or if they are 30yo basement kids.

You can't possibly believe this. At least, I hope not, for your sake.
  • Reply 251 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

The future of both platform looks bright to me. iOS will continue to be popular among a lot of people while Android is doing the marvelous job of converting feature phone users to Smartphone users. Both complement each other very nicely. To a lot of people, Android is the first car (Toyota or Honda) and iOS is the dream car (Lexus/Ferrari). Yes, Android have some very nice high end phone but truly the numbers are coming from the mid/low range phones. I know this because I work for a Telecom Operator and know the facts. I do not have to "estimate", a quick analysis of IMEIs of the handsets and their usage tells a lot.

I do not see any iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S2 unsold in shelves. Apples market share is leveling as more people are starting to use Smartphone than Apple is selling then. Samsung is utilizing some low priced good phone but they will also see declining market share once others (HTC, LG) come gung ho. It is natural. However, if the total market grew like this, there will be enough space for all large players (Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia) to pay around.

Some people are bringing up the example of Microsoft and Apple of the 80s and predicting Apples demise. Let me point out some big differences -

1. Apple have lot more revenue and Cash now. in The 80s, Apple had high per unit profit but sold few units. So, they made very little profit even when they were the "Hot Tech company". Now they are selling millions and earning billions. $80 billion in Cash is no joke. If cornered, they can use this pile to lower price of their products although that will not be necessary in near future.

2. Google is not earning directly from Android. Microsoft on the other hand, earned a hefty amount from each copy of DOS/Windows sold. Google earning a handsome amount from Ad revenue and that will continue. However, it will not matter to Google if they are able to serve at other platforms.

3. Apple was seen as a "good but very expensive" computer maker. Today it is a consumer electronics maker with reasonable price. Yes, iPad is not that costlier than other similar configured Tablets. iPhone is not very much expensive than Galaxy S2. And considering the volume purchasing discounts, Apple can easily lower its price.

All in all, both Google and Apple are smart companies who will continue to do well. We, consumers like to have this as demise of either will be harmful.

Hear hear! Finally, a fair assessment. But I disagree about the harmful bit.
  • Reply 252 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by topgun966 View Post

While I do own several Apple products what people here fail to see is the past. Learn from mistakes or you are doomed to repeat. Look at history. Apple did make massive amounts of profits in the past but it hit a peak then hit a steady decline. You can only maximize profits for so long but when you lose market share its a cascade effect.

Say what? Steady decline? Maybe you should look at history

Apple has made more money in the last few years than they have in the last few decades.

In case you haven't noticed... the past few quarters Apple has had record-breaking revenue and profit. If you define record-breaking... that means in their entire history.

And FYI... Apple did NOT have the market share advantage in either PCs or phones. (disproving the myth that you must have the most market share to be successful)

Why is everybody so hung up on market share anyway? It's just a ranking... a comparison between 2 or more things. Market share never appears on a balance sheet... and therefore is not a concern to a company. (just forum members )

Apple will never beat Android in market share... but Apple will also never go out of business either. They don't sell as many "units" as the other guys... but Apple makes just enough money to stay afloat. And by afloat... I mean $6 Billion in profit in a single quarter. Plus zero debt... $80 Billion in cash... $108 Billion in yearly revenue.

Repeat... Apple is in the $100 Billion Club. No other cell phone or PC manufacturer has ever come close. (again... market share or money... you decide...)

Apple would REALLY have to screw up to lose this. But I think Apple has already learned from their past.

Until then... go talk to LG and Motorola... they've had many losing quarters in a row. RIM and Nokia aren't doing too well either...

Bottom line... Apple has fully recovered from their problems in the 90's (and then some)

And Apple NOT having the most market share hasn't hurt them one bit.
  • Reply 253 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

^^^

This is a very graphic and convincing reason why one should want to buy AAPL, but not Apple.
  • Reply 254 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

^^^

This is a very graphic and convincing reason why one should want to buy AAPL, but not Apple.

lol... really. you are a joke.

we are in a time where the people that makes the world go around does not want to know if their computers have 4gb ram or 16. what they want is to their machines (be it computers, tablets, smartphones....) to do their work flawlessly.

I had some computers, i know how they work. you can believe that for us that machine is a mac. we know that this quality has a price and we gladly pay for it. so your point does make sense at all..

mac sales are exploding.

just because apple really knows how to buy and built their components or computers (with much better quality) that does not mean that they should sell them at the same price as HP.

The mac and other apple products are much more than hardware put together. it seems like you don-t understand this..

well, what are you doing in this forum? you are so pathetic.. each post of yours feels like a lame joke. i know that if you post something realted to this post you will forget what was said before the last question, but dont bother... go find a life.
  • Reply 255 of 276
    Quote:

lol... really. you are a joke.

I was talking to the grown-ups. Kindly mind your place in the corner.
  • Reply 256 of 276
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Ugh, you're both wrong. 10,000 days is 27.4 years.

A lot can happen in 27 years...

Plus we can't forget the supposed 4.4% increase in activations week over week. Math has already been used to show their increase has dropped to 1.3%, but if they were able to maintain a 4.4% increase in activations week in and week out for 3 years, they would be activating over 20M people a day. It wouldn't take anywhere near 27 years to sell an Android phone to every person on the planet, but with no increases, it would take 27 years to sell one to every person currently alive.

If the 4.4% weekly increases were still real, I'd guess somewhere between 5 and 7 years to have enough sales to equal everyone on the planet. Maybe sooner. I don't have an easy way to do the running total at work

EDIT: Ok actually I figured out an easy way to do it. Starting with 700k sales/day for the first week and adding 4.4% every week, after 200 weeks (less than 4 years) there would have been 7,067,269,738 Android sales. Hack the planet indeed.
  • Reply 257 of 276
    Quote:

I was talking to the grown-ups. Kindly mind your place in the corner.

No, "grown-ups" don't talk like this. Please don't do it again.

Quote:

well, what are you doing in this forum? you are so pathetic.. each post of yours feels like a lame joke. i know that if you post something realted to this post you will forget what was said before the last question, but dont bother... go find a life.

Nor like this. Please don't do it again.

I'm curious as to DrDoppio's point that buying AAPL (but not Apple) is a good idea. Could you elaborate?
  • Reply 258 of 276
    Sorry, I was using a Windows calculator! It is 10,000 days.

I still can't fathom the idea of 700,000 new activations per day, consistently. I suppose it's possible but it just 'seems' implausible to me.

If my sources (wikipedia) and calculations are right, iOS activations are just above 200,000 per day.
  • Reply 259 of 276
    Of course Android is going to have more activations. They have numerous phone models in every price range on every carrier. Duh.
  • Reply 260 of 276
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Uggh. More penile comparison stats followed by the same comments you see on every article discussing Android growth.

Why is this growth so surprising? After the tanking of Nokia and Symbian, and the slip-ups of RIM in the last year or so, the failure to launch of Windows Phone 7 and the general growth of the smartphone market, is it really all that surprising that Android activations are hitting 700k per day? Next, look at markets like India, where Apple doesn't really put in the same effort they do elsewhere (no Apple stores, significantly higher prices than outside India, etc.). That's Nokia's key market and they are switching en masse to Android. When you consider that the developed world is nearly a billion souls and the BRIC middle classes are approaching a half billion, and smartphone adoption in these groups is rising rapidly, if even half of this entire set replaces a smartphone every two years, that's easily over a million activations a day. I'm honestly surprised, Android isn't reporting higher. Seems to me that they are starting to plateau.

As for the usual comments...

1) I don't believe Google. Nobody on AI will ever believe anything Google says. So what's the point in even having this debate? They've been pretty clear on what they consider to be an activation and for most reasonable people, that definition is fairly sane.

2) It's not about activations, it's about sales. Depends where you sit. Google cares about eyeballs for ads. They don't sell phones and so they can't discuss hardware sales. For sales stats, you have to talk the OEMs. Again, not a conspiracy, just a business reporting statistics that are relevant to them.

3) This stat means they have more Android devices than iOS devices, so therefore Google is lying. Not true. Asymco just put out analysis that pegs total Android activations at 240 million, within a range of 224 million - 250 million. That should still be smaller than the iOS installed base. The trend does imply though, that at some point Android's installed base may surpass iOS.:

http://www.asymco.com/2011/12/21/how...een-activated/

4) It's all about profit. For whom? As a consumer, I don't give a rat's ass about any company's profit, unless I'm an investor and own stock in them. I find cheerleading on a company's profits (by non-investors) to be absurd. And this is something you only see among tech geeks. How many gearheads go around bragging about how much money their favourite automaker made?