Apple's 12 Days of Christmas giveaway kicks off in Europe and Canada

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has once again launched its 12 Days of Christmas app to mark the start of its annual holiday promotion that offers free songs, music videos, apps and books to residents of Canada and parts of Europe.

Since the promotion does not extend to U.S.-based customers, the app is only available to download from iTunes stores in Canada, the U.K., and a few other select European nations.

Now in its fourth year, the 12-day promotion runs from December 26 to January 6 and surprises users of the app with a free digital download from iTunes each day. This year's giveaway begins with a free copy of Coldplay's live EP from the recent Apple-sponsored iTunes Festival in London.

The album, like each day's freebee, will only be available to download for 24 hours, Apple says. iTunes users who don't have an iOS device can also sign up for daily email alerts and access the content through iTunes on a computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Has to be the only time a year when Apples international customers get a better deal than their American ones.

Assume their is some obscure American law that doesn't allow Apple to offer this in the US.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Ugh. Please include US for this one day. I wonder why they never include us? Because Americans use all our disposable income already with no sense of saving, so why give it for free?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Because Americans use all our disposable income already with no sense of saving, so why give it for free?

Yeah, that's actually probably it.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Could have something to do with the fact that Apple refuses to use the word "Christmas" in the US. Seriously. Look at the US Apple website and then look at the corresponding European and Canadian sites. For some very strange reason Apple substitutes "Holiday" for "Christmas" in the US.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Hi I live in Montreal and I can't see the app either on my iPhone or on iTunes?? Is this really in the iPhone Canadian app store??

thanks to advise
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

For some very strange reason Apple substitutes "Holiday" for "Christmas" in the US.

Well, there are more holidays celebrated in the US that Christmas. "Holiday" is fine by me.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Well, there are more holidays celebrated in the US that Christmas. "Holiday" is fine by me.

Is Apple is part of The War on Christmas?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    The reason that Apple isn't having a 12 Days of Christmas promotion in the US is probably because most Americans don't know when that is. Canadians and Europeans know because the second day of Christmas is a legal holiday there. We have to prepare for things before they happen. The mall puts up decorations and plays music to get us in the mood, but we're the ones who confuse the preparation for the event. That's why most Americans think Christmas is over as soon as they clean up the wrapping paper and wash the dishes after dinner.

Just ask an American. Almost no one, including the author of this article, understands that December 25 is the first day of Christmas and January 5 is the twelfth. Count the days: the twelve days of Christmas are: December 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 and January 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5; that's the last seven days of December and the first five days of January; 7 + 5 = 12.

January 6 is Epiphany.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Has to be the only time a year when Apples international customers get a better deal than their American ones.

Having seen that the first gift is a Coldplay EP, I'd say it's the Americans who are getting the better deal.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Assume their is some obscure American law that doesn't allow Apple to offer this in the US.

They'd probably get sued for violating "separation of Church and State." Either that, or we'd have people protesting the fact that they used the word "Christmas."
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ugh. Please include US for this one day. I wonder why they never include us? Because Americans use all our disposable income already with no sense of saving, so why give it for free?

It's 12 days (thus being called the "12 days of Christmas" giveaway) and given that during the other 353 days of the year non US residents are screwed left and right by the studios, labels etc when it comes to this kind of thing, it's more than fair that the US gets screwed for 12.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The reason that Apple isn't having a 12 Days of Christmas promotion in the US is probably because most Americans don't know when that is. Canadians and Europeans know because the second day of Christmas is a legal holiday there. We have to prepare for things before they happen. The mall puts up decorations and plays music to get us in the mood, but we're the ones who confuse the preparation for the event. That's why most Americans think Christmas is over as soon as they clean up the wrapping paper and wash the dishes after dinner.

Just ask an American. Almost no one, including the author of this article, understands that December 25 is the first day of Christmas and January 5 is the twelfth. Count the days: the twelve days of Christmas are: December 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 and January 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5; that's the last seven days of December and the first five days of January; 7 + 5 = 12.

January 6 is Epiphany.

Don't be so sure. Lots of American's celebrate the 12 days ('Have a Festive Twelfth Night' is a common greeting in some areas).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Yes, but "The Twelve Days of Your Generic mid-WInter Holidays" doesn't have the same ring.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

They'd probably get sued for violating "separation of Church and State." Either that, or we'd have people protesting the fact that they used the word "Christmas."

Really? Since when is separation of church and state relevant to Apple?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I don't think I could have asked for a better first gift then Coldplay's live performance from the iTunes Festival.

I can't help but think that Apple really love Coldplay... A lot.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Nothing happens when I click on the 'Sign-Up' link in Safari 5.1.2. It just takes me to a blank page. I've tried it in Firefox too - nada.

(Lion 10.7.2)
  • Reply 15 of 28
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I got all excited, but it doesn't seem to be available in Canada after all.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

In Canada, it's done through "Corporate Sponsors". Link with the list of sponsors is here: http://www.apple.com/ca/itunes/12days/

Unfortunately, none of them seem to have turned on the link yet. The closest is Hot103 and Virgin which both say "Coming Soon".

Not giving up that easily, I searched for the Coldplay album in iTunes, and it's there for free, I'm downloading it now. So it looks like if you know the give-away, you can bypass everything. Here's the link to the album: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/itu...11/id478017658

...Mike
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I had an email from Apple waiting for me this morning. Clicked on the link and it took me to the page in iTunes. Worked fine. Three songs and three videos.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Yep great treat (NOT), I installed the 12 day bla bla bla on my iPad.

Today the first present was 'given' a download of an Coldplay iTunes track....

You click on it further and get a great message:

Your request can't be processed.

This article is not available in the Dutch (I presume Belgium flemish :-) ) store.

There goes my 'first' present. LOL
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    The deals are available for Canada, just not the app. It asks to take you to the UK store.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tafkap View Post

Yep great treat (NOT), I installed the 12 day bla bla bla on my iPad.

Today the first present was 'given' a download of an Coldplay iTunes track....

You click on it further and get a great message:

Your request can't be processed.

This article is not available in the Dutch (I presume Belgium flemish :-) ) store.

There goes my 'first' present. LOL

With Apple, you get what you pay for.