Designer Jony Ive reportedly has a 50-inch Apple television in his studio

Comments

• Reply 21 of 125
    If Jony's lab is anything like design labs I've been in at other companies, there are all kinds of prototypes, mock-ups, test products and one-offs laying around being messed with.

Given the legendary security around these labs, I question the legitimacy of the anonymous leak. Said security has been remarked upon in other threads herein, so no surprise there. Perhaps someone seeking their 15 minutes of (anonymous) fame.
  • Reply 22 of 125
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I point out again, all of this can be achieved with an upgraded Apple TV set-top box, so why sell a full tv at all? What's Apple going to bring to the tv itself that can't be achieved with a box?

Apple industrial design. A lot of people downgrade how important this is in selling Apple products but I think for a lot of people this tips the balance towards 'buy' in the buy/don't buy decision node. Especially if it's going in the living room which for a lot of people is the best furnished room in their home.
  • Reply 23 of 125

Jony ♥ Telly

• Reply 24 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Would be LED surely....? LCDs are living room fatties these days.

The iPad is an LCD.

Just because Panasonic puts their LCDs into six inch thick mostly empty plastic boxes doesn't mean Apple will.
  • Reply 25 of 125
    Regarding Jobs' "cracked" comment, which AI seems to paste into every story these days, I wish he had made this comment in regards to content deals. I don't think anyone is worried about the interface this rumored TV will have; it's what the interface will have access to that worries me instead.
  • Reply 26 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

But Mr. Bond, you already HAVE such a TV. Also an Apple-built Aston Martin that runs on iced tea.

too funny! Thanks for the laugh. B
  • Reply 27 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The iPad is an LCD.

Just because Panasonic puts their LCDs into six inch thick mostly empty plastic boxes doesn't mean Apple will.

Apple are not going plasma, or OLED, so they have only LCD to choose at this time. When people refer to current large TVs as LED, they are really LCD, the LED is simply providing the backlight, replacing the older CCFL type of backlight
  • Reply 28 of 125
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

I point out again, all of this can be achieved with an upgraded Apple TV set-top box, so why sell a full tv at all? What's Apple going to bring to the tv itself that can't be achieved with a box?

i have a tv with 3 hdmi slots. everything wants hdmi these days and i'm all out. x-box, ps3 and dvr.

if apple will sell a tv with itunes, youtube, netflix, hulu and amazon built in i'll probably buy it and cancel cable
  • Reply 29 of 125
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I don't believe the tv will be a traditional tv. I have a feeling that social networking will be the big selling feature ala FaceTime/iChat - the tv will have a camera.

Why watch Family Feud when you can play it against your extended family and create your own entertainment.

Selecting your own 'subscription' packages is hardly "cracking" tv as stated by Jobs.

If this prediction were true - then the question would be; do consumers want a tv with a camera on it? It would have fun applications, but also leave the door wide open for massive privacy abuse like smart phones and Facebook currently do.
  • Reply 30 of 125
    Anonymous sources also claim that the iPhone 4S would be called iPhone 5 and have an aluminum back.
  • Reply 31 of 125
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Jony ♥ Telly

Why shouldn't he? Telly Savalas was a badass
  • Reply 32 of 125
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

I think what's missing here is the User-Interface. The current ATV interface is OK, but to really use it well you need an iDevice (typing, gaming, web mirroring, etc...) So to answer your question, it will be some amazingly simple user-interface that will separate this HDTV from the current STB. Then you can start to take command of your whole network and household through the TV.

My personal wish would be for the rumored TV to have ATV + Time Capsule + iOS (meaning user downloadable apps) and instant mirroring of any iDevice or Mac in your house...then add a super simple UI to that which will = Apple HDTV. Think about it as your home server for all content. Now add a subscription service for A-la-carte TV channels (as rumored) and you could finally cut the cord on cable TV.
  • Reply 33 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's part of the problem with this whole Apple HDTV issue. I want Apple to connect every room that has a TV, not just the living room. That means I want the bedrooms, guest rooms, den, living room, and even the master bathroom to all an AppleTV that can switch content to my last saved point as I leave one room and enter another. I won't have a 50" TV in all rooms because it doesn't make sense.

The only way to do this is to offer an AppleTV appliance that connects to any all devices with an HDMI connection. They would be remiss to ignore the rest of the house when they can finally unify the entire system the way DirectTV is with the Whole Home DVR service.

...Or, an AppleTV STB with cable/dish IN, Antenna IN, HDMI out and WiFi In/Out...

The AppleTV STB becomes TV Central Multiplexor to fixed WiFi displays in other rooms or mobile WiFi displays anywhere within range:

$149 -- 9.7" 2012 Personal TV *

$299 -- 15" 2012 Personal TV *

$299 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 2 (or any existing iPad 1 or 2)

$499 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 3 **

$699 -- 15" 2012 iPad 3 **

* Personal TVs would not have enough SSD for more than system apps.

** iPad 3 prices are for low-end base model, WiFi only.

There are possibilities for additional, larger screen sizes for iPads or Personal TVs.

All/any of these can be used as Intercoms, Baby/Security monitors, self-contained remotes and for web/mail access.
  • Reply 34 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Regarding Jobs' "cracked" comment, which AI seems to paste into every story these days, I wish he had made this comment in regards to content deals. I don't think anyone is worried about the interface this rumored TV will have; it's what the interface will have access to that worries me instead.

I second this comment.
  • Reply 35 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Would be LED surely....? LCDs are living room fatties these days.

Sigh...

LED's *ARE* LCD's.

The difference is whether or not the LCD is fluorescent backlit or LED backlit. There is no way Apple will release a non LED backlit TV. The iMac I'm staring at right now is an LCD. And it is LED backlit.
  • Reply 36 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

But Mr. Bond, you already HAVE such a TV. Also an Apple-built Aston Martin that runs on iced tea.

Please don't tease the British. They're already sensitive about losing their empire, the colonies, that tea party in Boston, their language and spelling being revised by Americans, etc.
  • Reply 37 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...Or, an AppleTV STB with cable/dish IN, Antenna IN, HDMI out and WiFi In/Out...

The AppleTV STB becomes TV Central Multiplexor to fixed WiFi displays in other rooms or mobile WiFi displays anywhere within range:

$149 -- 9.7" 2012 Personal TV *

$299 -- 15" 2012 Personal TV *

$299 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 2 (or any existing iPad 1 or 2)

$499 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 3 **

$699 -- 15" 2012 iPad 3 **

* Personal TVs would not have enough SSD for more than system apps.

** iPad 3 prices are for low-end base model, WiFi only.

There are possibilities for additional, larger screen sizes for iPads or Personal TVs.

All/any of these can be used as Intercoms, Baby/Security monitors, self-contained remotes and for web/mail access.

SONY tried this years ago and it was a FAIL. Granted this is 2012 now and we're talking about Apple. So it could be a different story. But, it could be simply an App that connects to your home network and TV service....Or iTunes, yeah, that's right...iTunes kind of does this already with iCloud.
  • Reply 38 of 125
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Yes but what does he watch? I imagine he shuttles compulsively from one project to the other, periodically stopping at the TV to watch this doc on his nemesis Marc Newson. Or maybe this doc on Dieter Rams.
  • Reply 39 of 125
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A "slick" 50-inch Apple television is said to be housed in the secure California studio of Jonathan Ive, Apple's acclaimed head of product design.

That's "the secure California studio of Sir Jonathan Ive, KCBE,..."

• Reply 40 of 125
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i have a tv with 3 hdmi slots. everything wants hdmi these days and i'm all out. x-box, ps3 and dvr.

if apple will sell a tv with itunes, youtube, netflix, hulu and amazon built in i'll probably buy it and cancel cable

Ok, but if that's your situation then why opt for a $1,999 50" iTV as opposed to a $999 50" Panasonic Plasma with enough HDMI ports to add a $99 Apple TV?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think what's missing here is the User-Interface. The current ATV interface is OK, but to really use it well you need an iDevice (typing, gaming, web mirroring, etc...) So to answer your question, it will be some amazingly simple user-interface that will separate this HDTV from the current STB. Then you can start to take command of your whole network and household through the TV.

If it's all in the user interface, and the content is still limited to what's available on iTunes (which you know it will be), then again why not just roll that new-and-improved interface into an upgraded Apple TV set-top box?