Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You forget ... the cleaning staff

And his squire, he's a knight now
  • Reply 42 of 125
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Apple industrial design. A lot of people downgrade how important this is in selling Apple products but I think for a lot of people this tips the balance towards 'buy' in the buy/don't buy decision node. Especially if it's going in the living room which for a lot of people is the best furnished room in their home.

With the direction that TVs are headed (and the one Apple would likely take), there's nothing to design hardware-wise because it's nothing but screen.
  • Reply 43 of 125
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Why shouldn't he? Telly Savalas was a badass

He was great in "Horror Express" (also starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing).
  • Reply 44 of 125
    Great; so he has a 50 inch TV in his design studio. He probably also has a bong and a kegerator; that doesn't mean Apple will be selling any of those anytime soon either.
  • Reply 45 of 125
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    It would be cool if it had 4K resolution. Then you really could use it as a computer monitor.
  • Reply 46 of 125
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    There is absolutely no reason for Apple to enter the over-crowded, low-margin big-screen tv business unless they also manage to take control of the content away from the cable companies.
  • Reply 47 of 125
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

There is absolutely no reason for Apple to enter the over-crowded, low-margin big-screen tv business unless they also manage to take control of the content away from the cable companies.

It might be easier to develop an electron with a positive charge.
  • Reply 48 of 125
    I'm shocked! The greedy bastards in Hollywood are holding this up?!? But... but... Hollywood is so fair to consumers and always does what's best for their viewers.
  • Reply 49 of 125
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Please don't tease the British. They're already sensitive about losing their empire, the colonies, that tea party in Boston, their language and spelling being revised by Americans, etc.

So, as a Brit, can I ask what metal makes up most of the iMac & you spell it with how many i's??
  • Reply 50 of 125
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Ok, but if that's your situation then why opt for a $1,999 50" iTV as opposed to a $999 50" Panasonic Plasma with enough HDMI ports to add a $99 Apple TV?...?

Why would anyone buy a new TV to get more HDMI ports? There are plenty of ways to add HDMI switching capability to an existing TV.

Here is one from Monoprice for less than $30:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

-kpluck
  • Reply 51 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Regarding Jobs' "cracked" comment, which AI seems to paste into every story these days, I wish he had made this comment in regards to content deals. I don't think anyone is worried about the interface this rumored TV will have; it's what the interface will have access to that worries me instead.

I think that Steve had "cracked" it...

Steve wanted to deliver the simplest possible interface to the TV -- But that is something that Apple is capable of doing with no sweat...

What Steve "cracked" was the means of delivering content and advertising to the TV with a simple and elegant UX.

Let's start at the ending, two examples...

1) It's SuperBowl Sunday, you are all siting around the BigTV in the "family" room, watching the game...

While watching the football game, an ad for pizza comes up.

You say to your Siri remote iPad: "Siri That looks good"

Siri: sends the menu from the pizza ad to your iPad (the TV continues to show the game)

You ask the others what they want, and by voice and/or touch you make your selections and Siri completes the transaction (payment, scheduled delivery, etc.).

2) Later, you remember that your wife perked up when an ad for a jewelry pendant appeared on the TV... Her birthday is in 2 weeks...

Out of your wife's earshot you say: "Siri yesterday I saw an ad for a diamond pendant on TV

"Siri sending the results to your iPad: "Here's a list of the Jewelry ads viewed in your home yesterday... They are sorted by type of jewelry"

Using Siri or Touch, you retrieve and play the various ads until you find the item you seek. As desired, you complete the transaction using Siri/Touch.

I am assuming that any transactions are handled at the Siri Store -- analogous to buying an app or a song.

What just happened there?

The TV showed/told you what to buy!

Siri bought them at your behest!

...and, in many cases, content == advertising == content

Does the above series of interactions and transactions (all logged and sumarizable) have any value to:

-- the viewer

-- the shopper

-- the buyer

-- the seller

-- the manufacturer

-- the advertiser

-- the ad agency

-- the ad creator

-- the content provider

-- the content creator

-- the content aggregator/broadcaster

-- the show planner/scheduler

-- the CableCo

-- the Pizza Guy
  • Reply 52 of 125
    Quote:

50" is good news, hopefully 60 through 80 not far behind I'd like a 100" that 'rolls' up into a ceiling housing and drops down at the command to Siri.

I don't think a 50" Apple/Siri/iTunes driven flat screen TV would be a big seller, I mean where's the Apple differentiation? With the advances I've read about in flex displays, I'm more inclined to suppose the rumored Apple TV is really a radical breakthrough in displays - such as a 100" rollup - plus a breakthrough in Siri voice navigation.
  • Reply 53 of 125
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Obviously Jane and Joe Average are still going to want cable, they want their TVs cheap cheap cheap, and they won't care that Apple's screen has a better colour reproduction than the average POS.

IMO an Apple branded TV with (maybe) an optical slot on the side like an iMac and no inputs other than wireless would be just fine. I know it's pretty much exactly what I want and need and I know I'm not alone. A lot of folks just want a slab to hang on the wall that "just works" and a huge number of people under 40 or so don't watch cable TV at all and don't have a giant wall of DVDs or BluRays like the over 50's tend to have.

Prof. Pea... I like ya, I really do. But sometimes you make me shake my head. Apple wouldn't be competing with the average TV. It'd be the high end TVs. Go take a Pioneer Elite Plasma and look at it. There is no way an Apple TV will look BETTER than that. In fact, if it were to come out- it wouldn't look as nice picture-wise or capability-wise. BUT, their key will be the integration of components.

Are over 40s the ones keeping MTV, VH1, or Real Housewives of XYZ County on the air? Nope. Thats the 15-30 year olds. They watch cable. Tons of it.

I dont understand why the Apple TV has to "cut the cord". Why? All I want is simplicity. When I put on a blu-ray, it changes to my blu-ray input (my samsung does this now w/ the samsung blu-ray player). But when I switch to u-verse, I have to click on my universal remote "tv, Input, push up twice, enter, Cable" to start watching it if I just watched a blu-ray. The same thing if I switch to apple tv, or whatever.

Why is an integrated Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, and a method to change inputs not good enough? Partner with a handful of ISPs like Verizon and Uverse, and sell a premium TV for a premium price. It won't be a ton of people that buy it nationally, and for those that don't buy it, have them buy the new Apple TV 3 that has 1080p streaming and a couple minor features.

You want to say "play coldplay" on your remote? You can do it on either and it plays. But if you have an Apple TV3, you have to have the tv remote, cable remote, dvd remote (or universal) AND the apple remote w/ microphone. If you have the Apple TV Set, you just have one remote. Sell the simplicity.
  • Reply 54 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Some bozo just pulled this right out of his butt crack. It's easy to quote "anonymous" sources. If the information is bogus there's no price to pay is there. And USA Today is a bastion of quality journalism isn't it.

Nothing innovative here. Android TVs have been around for years.... slappy

• Reply 55 of 125
    Quote:

50" is good news, hopefully 60 through 80 not far behind I'd like a 100" that 'rolls' up into a ceiling housing and drops down at the command to Siri.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

I don't think a 50" Apple/Siri/iTunes driven flat screen TV would be a big seller, I mean where's the Apple differentiation? With the advances I've read about in flex displays, I'm more inclined to suppose the rumored Apple TV is really a radical breakthrough in displays - such as a 100" rollup - plus a breakthrough in Siri voice navigation.

Something like this, but much, much bigger - and sexier.

Here's the link: http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Is...icDisplays.asp
  • Reply 56 of 125
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I'm shocked! The greedy bastards in Hollywood are holding this up?!? But... but... Hollywood is so fair to consumers and always does what's best for their viewers.

not hollywood, but sports. espn paid a lot of money to get content and disney insists on bundling it in any deal
  • Reply 57 of 125
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Ok, but if that's your situation then why opt for a $1,999 50" iTV as opposed to a $999 50" Panasonic Plasma with enough HDMI ports to add a $99 Apple TV?

If it's all in the user interface, and the content is still limited to what's available on iTunes (which you know it will be), then again why not just roll that new-and-improved interface into an upgraded Apple TV set-top box?

who says it's going to be $2000 for a 50"? unless it's one of the new OLED borderless TV's no one is going to buy it at that price
  • Reply 58 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You want to say "play coldplay" on your remote? You can do it on either and it plays. But if you have an Apple TV3, you have to have the tv remote, cable remote, dvd remote (or universal) AND the apple remote w/ microphone. If you have the Apple TV Set, you just have one remote. Sell the simplicity.

I bought one of these for $30 not long ago. It allows for macros and all sorts of customization:

http://www.l5remote.com/

It may not take verbal cues yet, but I don't doubt that it could at some point in the future.
  • Reply 59 of 125
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

4) I wish AI would hire there own graphics editor. Besides not liking to see the same image over-and-over I think it would help the site if they could be the go-to site for finding renderings based on rumours. I think it could get then a lot more page hits.

imagine a 50" amoled TV

but imo its going to be a LED TV since pretty much all Apple devices are already using LED. And price does matter. LED means slim design at low price ATM.
  • Reply 60 of 125
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

Great; so he has a 50 inch TV in his design studio. He probably also has a bong and a kegerator; that doesn't mean Apple will be selling any of those anytime soon either.