Reacting to Apple at CES 2012, part two: Samsung's Galaxy Note

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Android 4.0 was not held from the Nexus S because of TouchWiz, it was held from their Galaxy S II models. I still think that's rediculous and horrible service to their paying customers, but the Nexus S, I believe, already got 4.0.

It wasn´t held from Galaxy S II.

Samsung announced all the Galaxy line, except the Galaxy S and the original Tab 7" will get Android 4.0, Galaxy S and Tab 7" will get a Value Pack with Android 4.0 features, but it won´t be Android 4.0.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

It wasn´t held from Galaxy S II.

Samsung announced all the Galaxy line, except the Galaxy S and the original Tab 7" will get Android 4.0, Galaxy S and Tab 7" will get a Value Pack with Android 4.0 features, but it won´t be Android 4.0.

I understand why Samsung devices with TouchWiz and 512MB RAM aren't getting the update, but why not the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7* which has 1GB RAM?

* For those that don't know Samsung's first 7" model was simply called Galxy Tab which came with 512MB RAM.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Is it just me or is a refrigerator that runs apps one of the stupidest ideas that this industry has ever come up with?

You don´t have idea of appliance line products/customers...
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I understand why Samsung devices with TouchWiz and 512MB RAM aren't getting the update, but why not the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7* which has 1GB RAM?

* For those that don't know Samsung's first 7" model was simply called Galxy Tab which came with 512MB RAM.

The only Samsung Galaxy Tab is not getting the Android 4.0 was the first one (2010).

All the Galaxy Tab with Honeycombs, including the Tab 7" Plus will get it.

The Tab 7.7" is the new Samsung gold-cup, I really doubt Samsung won´t push Android 4 for it.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

But it is getting ICS.

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=8894

I sure hope Android-curious people get their info elsewhere than AI...
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:

You don´t have idea of appliance line products/customers...

Then why don't you explain to us why Twitter on a fridge door 4 feet off the ground is such a groundbreaking concept for appliance line products/customers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

But it is getting ICS.

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=8894

I sure hope Android-curious people get their info elsewhere than AI...

That's good, from a logical standpoint.

And I got my info elsewhere, I previously read that Samsung had not stated anything about the 7" tabs.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As noted in part one, the success of Apple's MacBook Air has driven Intel to inspire its Ultrabooks initiative. Here's a look at how the rest of the industry has chased Apple at this year's CES, starting with Samsung and its fiercely independent new role as an Android licensee...

Quote:

Samsung's Galaxy Note takes on the iPad, with a phone

It's insane to believe the Note is meant to take on the iPad. It's a smartphone with pressure-sensitive stylus for writing and drawing. Samsung's answers to the iPad is the Galaxy Tab line, not the Note. I see the Note as an addition to the Galaxy S smartphones.

Quote:

While Samsung has been chastised for "slavishly copying" Apple in its smartphone and tablet designs, the Galaxy Note is a new response to the iPad from Samsung, a mini-tablet that incorporates the stylus features that Apple's Steve Jobs mocked five years ago as the wrong way to go about working with mobile devices.

The Note still has capacitive touchscreen does it not? Having the CAPABILITY to use a pressure-sensitive stylus in ADDITION to finger touch is a plus. If the stylus is the ONLY way to interact with the Note, then it would be wrong. But it's clearly not.

Quote:

At first glance, the Galaxy Note looks like a smaller, simpler iPad, evoking memories of how Palm's 1997-era cheap, simple $300 Pilot rapidly took over the PDA market that Apple had originally coined with its $700 Newton MessagePad three years earlier. The difference today, however, is that the Galaxy Note isn't cheap.

An iPhone 4S 16GB unlocked no-contract is $800 on Amazon. Your point is?

Quote:

While the Pilot was less than half the price of a MessagePad, Samsung's 16GB Galaxy Note is $760-$900 on Amazon, considerably more than the 16GB 3G iPad 2 (which Amazon sells for $550-$630). In large part, that's because the Note incorporates all the features of a high end LTE smartphone, including an 8 megapixel camera and a "near Retina" 285ppi Super AMOLED 1280x800 display.

Can you make a regular phone call with the iPad 2 3G? The answer is NO. You would need to use a voice app to that. The Note is functionally the same as an iPhone 4S as a smartphone, except it has a bigger screen and a digitizer for pen. The iPad cost should be compared to the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which is $448 (16GB), $548 (32GB) on Amazon.

Quote:

The Galaxy Note also packs on the full horsepower of a dual core 1.4 GHz Cortex A9 Exynos or 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon (there are multiple hardware versions of the Note running SoCs with different graphics cores) and a full gigibyte of RAM, features that eat up battery life but are essential to running Android fast enough to feel responsive.

Only Apple is allowed to use dual core processors, right? Here's a quote from Engadget ( http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/s...y-note-review/ ):

"Battery life is phenomenal. While you'd expect solid performance from a 2500mAh battery, it's having to power a massive screen (both in terms of size and pixel count) and ultra-fast CPU -- energy vampires for sure. Our battery rundown test (playing a video in a loop starting from a full charge) achieved an impressive 9 hours and 36 minutes, putting the Galaxy Note right into iPad territory."

Quote:

Solo not Holo

Samsung's "go it alone" opposition strategy has included creating its own TouchWiz user interface for its Android phones, something that Samsung used as an excuse not to roll out Android 4.0 to customers of its relatively new Nexus S, a direct attack on Google's Android Upgrade Alliance, which was supposed to commit licenses to roll out upgrades for their Android devices for at least 18 months.

Samsung's move was particularly embarrassing for Google because the Nexus S was supposed to be a cobranded Google model lacking unnecessary third party baggage and supposedly providing the best upgrade service that Android buyers could expect. It was first released in December 2010, making it about six months newer than iPhone 4, and barely 12 months old when Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich rolled out on the Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus last month.

The article that you linked to says exactly the OPPOSITE of what you wrote here. Is this an intentional lie or some typo? The article that you linked to says, "But the Galaxy S sports the same internal hardware as Google's Nexus S smartphone, and Nexus S owners can already obtain Android 4.0 through an over-the-air update." I think you meant the Galaxy S. But Samsung never promised ICS for the Galaxy S line.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is an idea just a little ahead of its time. As RFID tags get cheaper and cheaper, a "smart refrigerator" could keep track of what is or is not in your refrigerator and pre-order groceries for you. Connect that to your grocery stores supply chain and big efficiencies could be made, driving down prices.

I agree that as it stands, I don't get it, but a refrigerator with intelligence could be a powerful idea.

I don't think it will catch on. At my house most food in the fridge is fresh, some of it from our garden. Partial solutions rarely become ubiquitous. If everything you eat has a bar code on it you have bigger problems than a smart refrigerator can solve.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:

Then why don't you explain to us why Twitter on a fridge door 4 feet off the ground is such a groundbreaking concept for appliance line products/customers.

Apps is not just for Twitter, Facebook or any other social app. The option for connection, remote control, notifications are present in the apps.

A fridge with apps, for product expire notification, redistribution of products by quality, type and temperature would run and would be updated like an app.

Image gallery, TV and radio programs, internet browsers and social networking are just more option for these products.

Many people go to appliance store to ask for the biggest, the simplest washing/drying machine, no more than 1 set of cloth of the simplest way to that work. I really doubt a housewife doesn´t love control all those appliances from a smartphone wherever she is and not have to wait for her cloth or to know what she have on the fridge.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:

Apps is not just for Twitter, Facebook or any other social app. The option for connection, remote control, notifications are present in the apps.

A fridge with apps, for product expire notification, redistribution of products by quality, type and temperature would run and would be updated like an app.

Image gallery, TV and radio programs, internet browsers and social networking are just more option for these products.

Many people go to appliance store to ask for the biggest, the simplest washing/drying machine, no more than 1 set of cloth of the simplest way to that work. I really doubt a housewife doesn´t love control all those appliances from a smartphone wherever she is and not have to wait for her cloth or to know what she have on the fridge.

That's the problem, we're talking about a smart fridge that is monitoring the fridge and letting you know when it needs your attention, we're talking about pointless apps being pushed to an appliance because we can.

We can put an HDTV in the front of a consumer oven with a webcam in the oven instead of using a window but you aren't going to come up with a reason why this makes sense just like you didn't come up with a reason why a fridge should have Twitter. How about a stock ticker that runs around the edge of a counter top of the stock trader who also loves to cook.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:

Is it just me or is a refrigerator that runs apps one of the stupidest ideas that this industry has ever come up with?

Ericsson/Electrolux had prototypes way back in 2000 with refrigerators that had WAP.

It was pretty useful. Your phone/fridge new what you had in the fridge, when the stuff expired.

= Automatic shopping lists to refill what you have used.

They had loads of cool stuff that have not come into production 12 years later.

My other favorite demo was the WAP enabled car. You WAPed into the car and started the heater from you living room. Could see status of the car, how much fuel and so on.

I want this NOW!
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Ericsson/Electrolux had prototypes way back in 2000 with refrigerators that had WAP.

It was pretty useful. Your phone/fridge new what you had in the fridge, when the stuff expired.

= Automatic shopping lists to refill what you have used.

How would it know what you had in the fridge? Wold you have to manually input everything with names and expiration dates? How is this "pretty useful" over just looking at the items's dates in your fridge or writing this down someplace that's actually convenient?
  • Reply 33 of 102
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

My other favorite demo was the WAP enabled car. You WAPed into the car and started the heater from you living room. Could see status of the car, how much fuel and so on.

I want this NOW!

That is actually illegal in my home town in Colorado. We call it huffing. People want to warm up their car in the winter but they leave it running in the driveway for 30 minutes sometimes, which causes a lot of unnecessary pollution.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is an idea just a little ahead of its time. As RFID tags get cheaper and cheaper, a "smart refrigerator" could keep track of what is or is not in your refrigerator and pre-order groceries for you. Connect that to your grocery stores supply chain and big efficiencies could be made, driving down prices.

I agree that as it stands, I don't get it, but a refrigerator with intelligence could be a powerful idea.

Yes, I can understand the concept of using RFID tags being tracked by a refrigerator. But why does the refrigerator need to run Angry birds, for example?
  • Reply 35 of 102
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

It's insane to believe the Note is meant to take on the iPad. It's a smartphone with pressure-sensitive stylus for writing and drawing. Samsung's answers to the iPad is the Galaxy Tab line, not the Note. I see the Note as an addition to the Galaxy S smartphones.

The Note still has capacitive touchscreen does it not? Having the CAPABILITY to use a pressure-sensitive stylus in ADDITION to finger touch is a plus. If the stylus is the ONLY way to interact with the Note, then it would be wrong. But it's clearly not.

Can you make a regular phone call with the iPad 2 3G? The answer is NO. You would need to use a voice app to that. The Note is functionally the same as an iPhone 4S as a smartphone, except it has a bigger screen and a digitizer for pen. The iPad cost should be compared to the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which is $448 (16GB), $548 (32GB) on Amazon.

Only Apple is allowed to use dual core processors, right? Here's a quote from Engadget ( http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/s...y-note-review/ ):

"Battery life is phenomenal. While you'd expect solid performance from a 2500mAh battery, it's having to power a massive screen (both in terms of size and pixel count) and ultra-fast CPU -- energy vampires for sure. Our battery rundown test (playing a video in a loop starting from a full charge) achieved an impressive 9 hours and 36 minutes, putting the Galaxy Note right into iPad territory."

The article that you linked to says exactly the OPPOSITE of what you wrote here. Is this an intentional lie or some typo? The article that you linked to says, "But the Galaxy S sports the same internal hardware as Google's Nexus S smartphone, and Nexus S owners can already obtain Android 4.0 through an over-the-air update." I think you meant the Galaxy S. But Samsung never promised ICS for the Galaxy S line.

All excellent points, No Doubt, but actual facts such as the ones you've outlined have never mattered one iota to the likes of Daniel Eran Dilger (aka DeD on Arrival) and his ilk.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... .... fiercely independent ... Android licensee.

Thus far, the best oxymoron of 2012!
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:

Yes, I can understand the concept of using RFID tags being tracked by a refrigerator. But why does the refrigerator need to run Angry birds, for example?

your mistake is confusing "has the ability to" with "needs to"
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How is nobody realizing the complete and blatant error on the part of the author? I love Apple as much as the next, but don't make up stuff to try to make a point. Android 4.0 was not held from the Nexus S because of TouchWiz, it was held from their Galaxy S II models. I still think that's rediculous and horrible service to their paying customers, but the Nexus S, I believe, already got 4.0.

"Blatant" means openly and unashamedly. Using that word to refer to a minor error involving brand names and numbers is a bit over the top, even for a cluster of Apple foeboys desperately seeking to attack an article via typos and minutia because they have nothing to criticize about the actual content.

Even so, only select Nexus S owners got ICS before the spigot was turned off to figure out what was wrong with the update and fix things. Last I heard, it's still not available for Nexus S owners, the only group that has even been offered an update.

So yes, you're right about Samsung's "rediculous and horrible service to their paying customers."
  • Reply 39 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

It's insane to believe the Note is meant to take on the iPad. It's a smartphone with pressure-sensitive stylus for writing and drawing. Samsung's answers to the iPad is the Galaxy Tab line, not the Note. I see the Note as an addition to the Galaxy S smartphones

If you think Samsung would suddenly be making tablets that looked any different from Microsoft's reference designs if Apple had not launched the iPad to great success, you are too delusional to be having a discussion with. Saying the Note is a reaction to the iPad is both factually accurate and does not imply any wrongdoing on the part of Samsung, so it's hard to see what you're so bent out of shape about here.

Quote:

Why you are complaining about a stylus being "wrong" is difficult to understand, given that nowhere in the article does it say a stylus is "wrong" outside of noting Steve Jobs' opinion on the subject. Maybe you need to calm down a notch or two mr hysterical.

Quote:

Nobody buys unlocked iPhones from Amazon. Apple's US sales are all coming from subsidized contracts, which is what Samsung is competing with. The iPad is not subsidized. Is the Galaxy Note going to become a mainstream phone with subsidies? Once it does we can talk about how much it actually costs and/or appears to cost to buyers. So far, the only source for buying it is Amazon.

Quote:

Shocking that Samsung doesn't have any buyers then! That's a whopping $50 discount from the iPad 2.

Quote:

Only Apple is allowed to use dual core processors, right?

Again, in you hysterical fit you fail to note that the article is describing the Note's specs, not passing judgement on the MHz numbers. It simply observed that despite being clocked faster than the iPhone 4S, it doesn't feel like it because its running a year + old version of Android.

Quote:

Here's a quote from Engadget ( http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/s...y-note-review/ ):

Well most people do real things with the mobile, like say, use the mobile part. Once you have GPU accelerated hardware, playing video isn't exactly an example of something that runs the battery down. Real tests would include WiFi and mobile network activity, not playing video in a loop. Hard to believe Engadget is that stupid, or that you didn't observe that reality on your own, given your hair trigger to perceived factual errors on AI.

Maybe you just want to believe certain things?

Even Apple's iPhone ratings say 10 hours of video, 40 hours of audio,, 9 hours of WiFi internet, 8 hours of 3G talk time, or 6 hours of 3G Internet.

I wonder what Engadget would find if it actually turned on 4G and did some real world testing? On the Galaxy Nexus, doing that discharges the battery fast **even when the thing is plugged into a car charger**.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    I don't know why the Note is even being compared to the ipad.

Half the size

Makes Calls

Better resolution

Pressure sensitive wacom screen

AMOLED screen

And are people really bitching about the price? Compare it to an unlocked iphone 4S then

Honestly though, completely different.

Good for Samsung for creating this. I would love to see a Note 2 in the future