Apple jumps 9 spots to become 8th most valuable brand in the world

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Anybody who would rather pet a puppy than eat it.

New brand... KFP.

(Just to stay on topic)
  • Reply 102 of 128
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

Try reading before replying and you might no look a fool. I said IF jobs are available. The whole point is to end the government polices driving business away. Your prescription for more government control will just accelerate the job losses.

Please quote where you said "IF jobs are available".
  • Reply 103 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

New brand... KFP.

(Just to stay on topic)

Heard it's a hit in Korea (ok, yeah, that was a tad over the line)....
  • Reply 104 of 128
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I remember reading about how some schools or sports teams are awarding medals to everybody! That is un-American, and the worst idea I have ever heard of. Those kids being brought up like that will be facing some difficulties later on in life. Not everybody deserves a medal and not everybody deserves to win.

Saying it like that is one thing. And I agree (although its not the worst idea- that title belongs to your mom and dad).

Unfortunately, the way you say it is- Those people who didn't win the medal and lost are idiots, worthless, and I am so much better than them.

But- that will all catch up to you in this life or the next. Enjoy your next 50-60 years of loneliness (because good, decent people don't like people like you. And people like you definitely don't like people like you).
  • Reply 105 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

If Disney and HP were 9 and 10 respectfully last time, who was #8?? Is the chart wrong? Shouldn't it show Disney as #8 and HP as #9 previously or did another company loose a lot of brand value last year?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other noteworthy companies on the list were Nokia, sliding 6 spots to No. 14, and losing 15 percent of its value to hit $25.07 billion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung, growing 20 percent year over year to hit $23.43 billion and 17th place

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Heard it's a hit in Korea (ok, yeah, that was a tad over the line)....

If it walks like a duck.... (or puppy in this case)
  • Reply 106 of 128
    Quote:

Left-wing by American standards ... what does that mean? ...

What it says. The USA is significantly to the right of every other Western Democracy.

Obama for instance (generally considered a social democrat) would be a centre right politician in Canada or Australia, and not a leftie at all. In the EU Obama reads as an arch conservative. In Canada, our most right wing party (the conservatives) is basically working on the same ground as the Democratic (left wing) party is in the US.

Also, Dennis Kucinich, (who I am led to believe is some kind of radical down there), is basically the same as the average left-wing politician in Canada and would have to move significantly to the left to be categorised as a real "radical" outside of the USA.

Not only that, this situation has been the case for probably thirty years at least now.
  • Reply 107 of 128
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    Too borrow a phrase used by Steve, that list is the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard.

And yes I read the article that explains how those values are arrived at.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Don't feed the trolling. . Maybe he should read the $450/month wages of foxconn workers thread again.

$450?? That would be great. I thought they made $130 a month.

But as for the "troll", his point is not invalid. Big U.S. companies are recording record profits and record market cap values. Is it fair that companies (and their executives) are rich when even the middle class hasn't seen increases in real wages in something like 20 years?

As for the very poor, unless successful large companies invest in training and educating uneducated people, there's going to be a cycle of poverty that's never going to be broken. The current public and private educational system has completely failed in this regard (which is not entirely their fault, because without a supportive family structure and the development of pre-reading skills before a child enters school, those kids are generally screwed for life). This is far worse than it was decades ago because decades ago, an uneducated worker could always get a job doing manual labor or working in a factory. That pretty much doesn't exist today and even when it does, the wages keep people in poverty.

You know why the housing market is still so bad even though there are incredible bargains out there and interest rates are at or near an all-time low? Because at minimum wage or close to it, you still can't afford a house anywhere. (And even if you could, the banks won't give you a loan anyway.) The fact is that even at $10 an hour, far more than the U.S. minimum wage, it's almost impossible to live on $20K a year in most parts of the U.S.
  • Reply 109 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What it says. The USA is significantly to the right of every other Western Democracy.

Obama for instance (generally considered a social democrat) would be a centre right politician in Canada or Australia, and not a leftie at all. In the EU Obama reads as an arch conservative. In Canada, our most right wing party (the conservatives) is basically working on the same ground as the Democratic (left wing) party is in the US.

Also, Dennis Kucinich, (who I am led to believe is some kind of radical down there), is basically the same as the average left-wing politician in Canada and would have to move significantly to the left to be categorised as a real "radical" outside of the USA.

Not only that, this situation has been the case for probably thirty years at least now.

I agree with a lot of your comments and would have agreed with your assessment of Obama prior to his election, but since coming to power, on pretty much every issue except health care reform he's proven little different to the Republicans. Even so, if he were hypothetically able to introduce his "leftist" health care "reforms" in Canada, there would likely be actions on the Canadian streets which would make the Vancouver hockey riots seem like Gandhi's salt march. America's health care delivery is so cruel that even Obama's health care reforms would equal Canada's health nightmares (i.e. a 'progressive move' to a two tiered system). Yet while America moved to its left in the last election, Canada voted in an idiot like Harper, a sharp and hopefully short move to its right. Even the best folks can have a temporary lapse of judgement I guess. Maybe your NDP and Liberal Party can form a coalition government some day?

'
  • Reply 110 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

$450?? That would be great. I thought they made $130 a month.

But as for the "troll", his point is not invalid. Big U.S. companies are recording record profits and record market cap values. Is it fair that companies (and their executives) are rich when even the middle class hasn't seen increases in real wages in something like 20 years?

As for the very poor, unless successful large companies invest in training and educating uneducated people, there's going to be a cycle of poverty that's never going to be broken. The current public and private educational system has completely failed in this regard (which is not entirely their fault, because without a supportive family structure and the development of pre-reading skills before a child enters school, those kids are generally screwed for life). This is far worse than it was decades ago because decades ago, an uneducated worker could always get a job doing manual labor or working in a factory. That pretty much doesn't exist today and even when it does, the wages keep people in poverty.

You know why the housing market is still so bad even though there are incredible bargains out there and interest rates are at or near an all-time low? Because at minimum wage or close to it, you still can't afford a house anywhere. (And even if you could, the banks won't give you a loan anyway.) The fact is that even at $10 an hour, far more than the U.S. minimum wage, it's almost impossible to live on $20K a year in most parts of the U.S.

Exactly. The middle and working classes in the US have been skinned alive and gutted while the super-rich have been allowed to get away with murder, upon murder, upon murder.
  • Reply 111 of 128
    Quote:

Exactly. The middle and working classes in the US have been skinned alive and gutted while the super-rich have been allowed to get away with murder, upon murder, upon murder.

You're right to a point. But where does the fault lie? One of three people/groups.

-The company. But who wouldn't be tempted in their shoes for the almighty dollar to try to get laws passed, wages lowered, etc do you can have more and more $. Not saying its right- but I understand the temptation.

-Politicians. Might go in with the best of intentions, but they need money to compete in the elections. Where does that money come from? Companies. So who do the bills favor? The media on the left and right will love to argue that "we the people" elected them to their positions. But we know that's not true. Without us, could they be elected? Of course not. But they couldn't be elected without the corporate contributions either. That won't change because guess who makes the law?

-The consumer. We buy the products. They get rich. We support them.

I've always been right leaning, but as I get more educated, read more, watch more documentaries and learn more facts- I still hold true to my libertarian roots but also take more personal accountability. Americans problem is they complain about corporations while driving their giant SUV, eating a big Mac, and wearing brand new jeans they get every season.
  • Reply 112 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Hah- i just made a post asking why they aren't 2nd.

People don't buy an "apple" when they get a dell. Or buy an "intel" when they buy amd. Or get GE instead of electricity. McDonalds I could see. You show 100000 people across the world a GE logo and a McDonald logo- which is easier recognized?

You show an Apple logo and a McDonald's logo and you'll be hard pressed to see people not recognizing either.
  • Reply 113 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You show an Apple logo and a McDonald's logo and you'll be hard pressed to see people not recognizing either.

A 5 year old and 80 year old would likely know just one.
  • Reply 114 of 128
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

For poor people? Absolutely nothing, as I'm not fond of poor people and I am anti-charity. . . . THINK DIFFERENT.

THINK DIFFERENT; I?ll say you do. Last time I read any of your crap. Thanks for the logo to quickly identify ignorance.

I know a lot of Americans. I?ve never met one like you, though I see some on FOX.
  • Reply 115 of 128
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    This is obviously poorly calculated and is probably taken from a sample of corporate CEOs.

I didn't recognise the GE logo at all. I know who they are, kinda. They are not big in the UK or Europe, only really in America.

IBM... Seriously? I can understand being in the top ten but 2nd?

1) Coca-Cola

2) Google

3) Apple

4) Facebook

5) McDonalds
  • Reply 116 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I didn't recognise the GE logo at all. I know who they are, kinda. They are not big in the UK or Europe, only really in America.

GE employs over 18,000 people in the UK and 287,000 worldwide. They have annual sales of about $150,000,000 and nearly 3/4 of a trillion dollars in assets.

I'd say they are quite a valuable brand.
  • Reply 117 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

GE employs over 18,000 people in the UK and 287,000 worldwide. They have annual revenue of over $150 billion and nearly 3/4 of a trillion dollars in assets.

There, fixed that for you.
  • Reply 118 of 128
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

GE employs over 18,000 people in the UK and 287,000 worldwide. They have annual sales of about $150,000,000 and nearly 3/4 of a trillion dollars in assets.

Company size does not equal brand value. To me, it is all about showing a GE logo to somebody and seeing if they recognise it.

Majority of people in the UK probably won't.
  • Reply 119 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Company size does not equal brand value. To me, it is all about showing a GE logo to somebody and seeing if they recognise it.

Majority of people in the UK probably won't.

People over the age of 50 will most likely recognize it.

[I'd guess that the majority of people in England would recognize the GE logo. GE is huge all over the world including billions of dollars in business in the UK. Younger people (under 30) might not recognize the logo as readily as people over the age of 50.]
  • Reply 120 of 128
    Well, according to the European Brand Institute Apple is number one by a fairly large margin:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...3.photogallery

BrandZ says otherwise as well:

http://www.millwardbrown.com/librari...hart.sflb.ashx

There's no real or definitive methodology to calculate this as these rankings and valuations differ greatly between these firms that come up with these results.

In general, I agree with the list of companies in the top 10~20 spots but I don't think there's any doubt now that Apple is number one right now and growing stronger.