iPad may make Apple world's largest PC maker in holiday Q4 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

I'm pretty sure Apple couldn't care less about the iPad being categorized as a "PC" or not. Apple is really the only company in the "PC" industry laughing its way to the bank. The truth is that the iPad is taking a big bite out of traditional PC sales, including the now virtually extinct netbooks. Let these research firms and PC makers waste their time compiling these numbers and trying to make some sense out of 'em. It's now all about the ecosystem and the bottom line that it produces.

+1 on that's Apple is not the one making outlandish assumptions, manipulating statistics, predicting the future or consulting tarot cards to write an article to make "news". Apple cashes checks.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Then what can you not do with a smartphone that you can do with an iPad? My whole point is that just using definition alone, many many things now become PCs and should be included.

Phones have their own sales category, so no one is trying to decide whether to lump them into PC sales. So the point is moot.

Tablets, however, fall into the same basic "Personal Computing" use case, even if a tablet isn't the best computer for every function. Personal Computing is it's primary function, not a secondary one.

Desktops, Laptops, and Tablets are all PCs, with different form factors and different strengths. But PCs nonetheless.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Phones have their own sales category, so no one is trying to decide whether to lump them into PC sales. So the point is moot.

Tablets, however, fall into the same basic "Personal Computing" use case, even if a tablet isn't the best computer for every function. Personal Computing is it's primary function, not a secondary one.

Desktops, Laptops, and Tablets are all PCs, with different form factors and different strengths. But PCs nonetheless.

That is the point. Since a smartphone can do more than a tablet why is it in its own category? 10 years ago making phone calls on a phone was its primary function but not today. I have 700 minutes on my family plan of 5 smartphones, I never get near it. The point is far from moot. My whole point is that this article is garbage. Some wanna-be analyst decided to lump tablets into PCs (only for Apple) in order to deem Apple the 2012 top PC manufacturer. Regardless that it makes no sense, regardless that 2012 is only in the 1st quarter, regardless that smartphones can do everything a tablet can. Only thing that mattered was that after much manipulating, Apple is now the number one PC manufacturer because he says so and now it is news and AppleInsider regurgitated this garbage. And many have drank the kool-aid regardless of how rediculous it is.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The point of the article and the point you seem to miss. Is that people are using the functionality of the iPad to replace the same functionality that would otherwise use a PC. This trend is destined to grow.

Few to no one is using a phone to fully replace the same functionality that otherwise they would have used a computer.

Quote:

My whole point is that this article is garbage. Some wanna-be analyst decided to lump tablets into PCs (only for Apple) in order to deem Apple the 2012 top PC manufacturer. Regardless that it makes no sense, regardless that 2012 is only in the 1st quarter, regardless that smartphones can do everything a tablet can. Only thing that mattered was that after much manipulating, Apple is now the number one PC manufacturer because he says so and now it is news and AppleInsider regurgitated this garbage. And many have drank the kool-aid regardless of how rediculous it is.

• Reply 45 of 82
    I generally don't like reading forums like this as it usually denigrates to snide bickering. But here's my comment. Is the iPad a personal computer? Some say yes, some say no. Some say we must classify the following differently: "tablets", "smartphones", "laptops", "netbooks", "ultrabooks", "all-in-ones", "desktops", "rack servers", "supercomputers", etc. Let history decide what a "PC" is. Some day we will have computers on our watch, will that be a another non-PC device? Then we'll have computers on our eyeglasses, is that yet another category? If there is no generic word to cover all these categories, we have a problem. Obviously the generic word will forever be "computer". But it is entirely possible that "Personal Computer" may be defined by history as "something that sits on a desk". Perhaps these new "post-PC devices" will be known to historians as "Mobile Computers", which is "something that you carry". Perhaps "Wearable Computers" will be a category some day. Perhaps "Nano Computers." The future will come to pass, and only then will we know which terms win. PC? MC? WC? NC?
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:

That is the point. Since a smartphone can do more than a tablet why is it in its own category? 10 years ago making phone calls on a phone was its primary function but not today. I have 700 minutes on my family plan of 5 smartphones, I never get near it. The point is far from moot. My whole point is that this article is garbage. Some wanna-be analyst decided to lump tablets into PCs (only for Apple) in order to deem Apple the 2012 top PC manufacturer. Regardless that it makes no sense, regardless that 2012 is only in the 1st quarter, regardless that smartphones can do everything a tablet can. Only thing that mattered was that after much manipulating, Apple is now the number one PC manufacturer because he says so and now it is news and AppleInsider regurgitated this garbage. And many have drank the kool-aid regardless of how rediculous it is.

The only reason these defined categories have any importance are so that businesses and investors can assess marketshare between competing companies.

Trying to merge phones (even smartphones) and PCs doesn't help anyone assess what's happening in the computer market. But if tablets are eating PC marketshare (laptops or desktops), then then I think its tremendously important for that to be represented, and of course tablets from all makers should be included in those calculations.

If the industry wants to subset the PC space into desktops, laptops, and tablets to get a clearer picture of what's happening in a particular segment, or see what the split is between those segments, then great. But I think the overall "PC" market needs to consider the tablet the 3rd leg in the "PC stool" now.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

My exact point. Thank you, same thing about a tablet and a PC.

Yes a car can replace a motorcycle and a motorcycle can replace a car. Maybe not in your situation but in some situations. Same as a tablet and PC. I can not play BF3 on my iPad nor can I take my desktop on a plane. For the most part they are two distinct categories and in some situations one can replace the other but not all. Not the majority. Many own both because they have too or choose too.

My point is that they are still PC's in general. Just because you can't play BF3 on an iPad doesn't disqualify an iPad as a computer.

For many people, their computer use goes as far as using it for email and web surfing. If they were using a notebook in the past, then an iPad is a perfect replacement.

Many people have only a car or only a motorcycle, but I still have to pay the DMV to have my two distinctly different methods of transportation registered as "Motor Vehicles".

Smartphones get murky due to the phone capability, but even I still consider them to be microPC's simply because they can do essentially the same basic functions as a full-size PC with the exception of being limited to a small screen size. I actually use my iPhone more than my iPad.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Clearly, having a different opinion automatically equals hurt feelings. Do you read what you write?

I don't care if you have a different opinion. I am simply pointing out that you seem to be getting your knickers in a twist just because someone created a theoretical "what if" chart.

Don't worry. PCs rule. Macs are toys. iPads are even worse. Same as it ever was.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

I agree, a personal computer is a personal computer but to just use the iPad to artificially inflate Apples numbers is ignorant. The iPhone/smart phone can do everything a tablet can yet phones are not included. Are all the other manufactures tablets also included?

You seem to be stubbornly refusing to see the significance of screen size. I have an iPod touch and iPad. The ultra portability of the iPod touch is useful but there is no question that there are many activities are much more feasible on an iPad rather than the iPod. Claiming there is no difference is simply disingenuous.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

... And many have drank the kool-aid regardless of how rediculous it is.

If nothing else is accomplished, please learn basic spelling. The word is "RIDICULOUS". There is no 'E' in the spelling of ridiculous. That is all.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

You seem to be stubbornly refusing to see the significance of screen size. I have an iPod touch and iPad. The ultra portability of the iPod touch is useful but there is no question that there are many activities are much more feasible on an iPad rather than the iPod. Claiming there is no difference is simply disingenuous.

So screen size is the difference? I have a 27" on my PC so therefore a PC must have a big screen size? Makes surfing , gaming and photo editing much more feasible than on an iPad. What works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. Maybe I like a small screen and ultra portability. We can go round and round all day. Bottom line a tablet is very distinct as is a PC. As time goes by the lines will blur but right now they are distinct, a large majority of people have both a tablet and PC because a tablet just is not a PC in traditional sense and people still need both.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    LOL. They created a category with tablets so let to be. I don't see the point of merging it. And Mac's are doing fine.

BTW do we have any leaks on how the iPad did? Retail sales from Best buy or other retailers, activations, anything?

We got leaks on everything but iPads.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

If nothing else is accomplished, please learn basic spelling. The word is "RIDICULOUS". There is no 'E' in the spelling of ridiculous. That is all.

My bad. I do not type as well on my iPad as I do on my PC. Having that mouse and full keyboard is nice. But I appreciate the contribution you made to this thread, without your wisdom and insight it surely would have gone off topic, good job.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

LOL. They created a category with tablets so let to be. I don't see the point of merging it. And Mac's are doing fine.

Exactly. It is apparent that the author of this article feels that Apple should be considered the number one PC manufacture in the world and if they can not attain that status based on the current definition, well let's just change the definition to suit his desire. It is actually sad.

Edit:

Just followed the link to the original article, the author is a tool bag. He admits he did not include tablets for any other manufacturer. How does that even make sense? "Tablets are PCs as long as they have an Apple on them". Clown.

Hey AppleInsider, do you actually read these articles before you post them? Maybe see if the author actually has any credentials? Maybe the article makes sense? AppleOutsider, really, so unoriginal I don't know, check sources?
  • Reply 55 of 82
    They aren't leaks. They are simply guessing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

BTW do we have any leaks on how the iPad did? Retail sales from Best buy or other retailers, activations, anything?

We got leaks on everything but iPads.

• Reply 56 of 82
    The iPad would have alerted you to the misspelling and even attempted to correct the misspelled word for you.

Quote:

My bad. I do not type as well on my iPad as I do on my PC. Having that mouse and full keyboard is nice. But I appreciate the contribution you made to this thread, without your wisdom and insight it surely would have gone off topic, good job.

• Reply 57 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Tablets are not PCs. At least not yet. In the future the lines between PC and tablet will blur but right now they are not. My phone does everything my iPad does, is it a PC? Anything to boost numbers. Are all the other manufactures having their tablets counted? They are pretty crappy but I would venture they sold enough to offset Mac sales. Heck, motorcycles cut into automobile sales but that doesnt make a motorcycle a car.

I can run anything on my iPad that runs of my Mac now including full blown MS office. Check out Splashtop Remote Desktop. So, as well as being a phenomenal stand alone it is a totally awesome terminal. Try that on your phone
  • Reply 58 of 82
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Exactly. It is apparent that the author of this article feels that Apple should be considered the number one PC manufacture in the world and if they can not attain that status based on the current definition, well let's just change the definition to suit his desire. It is actually sad.

So, I suppose these guys are sad too?

http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/appl...obal-pc-vendor

Edit:

Quote:

Just followed the link to the original article, the author is a tool bag. He admits he did not include tablets for any other manufacturer. How does that even make sense? "Tablets are PCs as long as they have an Apple on them". Clown.

The 'clown' clearly states why he constructed the chart the way he did. He used exactly the same data that the original Deutsche Bank analyst used.... But he did it properly!

If you're so concerned about the 'missing' tablet numbers then why don't you factor them in and lets see your chart?
  • Reply 59 of 82
    If we where to count the iPad as a PC then it completely blurs the lines. Would we not also include Microsofts Xbox 360 or Sony's PS3 then. As the PS3 does have internet access can use a full keyboard, and can go to google docs and do productivity work it has software built for it all of the components of a computer. Also the iPod touch is also a computer if we lump the the iPad in it. Lets let the PCs be defined by the OS not the function because that blurs the lines. Window's PCs have a huge difference then the iPad. They ran a full blown OS. iOS is a great MOBILE operating system don't get me wrong. But iOS is just what it is and it is great at that it is a mobile OS it is not meant to replace OS X or Windows or even Linux(laughed at that one my self). It is meant to compliment the full OSs.

End of the day the iPad in reality is a large iPhone. You MBA is still able to run more versatile software, more media software(Formats), better productivity software, more powerful to do real photo shop and related software.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Tablets are not PCs. At least not yet. In the future the lines between PC and tablet will blur but right now they are not. My phone does everything my iPad does, is it a PC? Anything to boost numbers. Are all the other manufactures having their tablets counted? They are pretty crappy but I would venture they sold enough to offset Mac sales. Heck, motorcycles cut into automobile sales but that doesnt make a motorcycle a car.

Yeah, I was actually thinking - based on that, does massive bicycle production make Great Wall of China biggest car manufacturer in the world?