iPad may make Apple world's largest PC maker in holiday Q4 2011

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

AI just posted an article about 12% of enterprise laptop users converting strictly to an iPad. So what does that mean? It means that a user used a different type of computer. So as far as I'm concerned, yes and iPad for a good segment of consumers replaces their need for a conventional computer.

Your motorcycle analogy is total spin. I ride a motorcycle every day. A motorcycle (iPad) AND an automobile (desktop/laptop) are BOTH "motor vehicles" (PC's). Each one on their own can do some things better than the other, but neither can replace the other.

Are we paying attention now?

In his analogy I guess half the MS based cars are broken down waiting for a nerd to fix them while all those sick of MS based cars are off buying Apple iPad motor bikes. Too funny.
  • Reply 82 of 82
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Sequitur misquoted the article. According to a survey done by IDG Connect of enterprise workers who had iPads, 12% of them reported that the iPad has completely replaced their laptop. Other numbers and statistics of interest captured in the article here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...r_laptop_.html

So you are entirely justified in your scepticism about that 12% being of all enterprise workers since:

There are roughly 154.4 million employed in the US. of which

22 million are employed by the US government

58.7 million employed by large business/enterprise (outside of US Gov)

81.8 million are employed by small business

so if you (arguably) add together the US Gov and enterprise you get 80.7 million, of which 12% is 9.6 million.

As of September 2011 Apple reported 39.8 million iPads sold - so OBVIOUSLY there is NO WAY Apple could have supplied 9.6 million iPads to enterprise employees. Nope. [/sarc]

I know your stats are trying to make a point- but to break it down, how many of those 154.4 million people have personal computers in business? Your mail carrier? Your grocery store employee? Your walmart, target, home depot, any mom and pop store? Lab technicians, manufacturers, auto mechanics, lawn service, pool boys, door to door flyer person, farmer, take your pick of any labor job.

The vast majority of jobs don't have their own computer.

But- lets pretend, that in your world, they do. You're telling me 25% of iPads sold are for business? Also, that same link you posted said that 54% have partly replaced their laptop with their iPad. So 75 million people (or 40 million not including small business) use their iPad for work when only 39.8 million iPads were sold? The numbers don't add up.