Apple's overseas manufacturing operations offer flexibility, not just savings - report

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148
    Apple should bring home the cash and pay taxes on it. That would help all of us. They won't create new jobs with a tax holiday. They would only use it to pay multi-million dollar salaries to their execs.
  • Reply 142 of 148
    For those who want to bash Apple for being greedy, let's not forget that Apple is neither the first corporation to outsource jobs nor is it the only one engaged in it. As for Foxconn, Apple is not the only customer so I fail to understand why they should be the ones to pay Foxconn higher wages. Are Foxconn's other customers ready to pitch in to pay higher wages to Foxconn employees?

The way I'm seeing it, people seem to imply that others outsource to China and use Foxconn because they don't have a choice but Apple has the financial resources to take the hit to their margins and should create jobs in the US. I will comment on this but I want to address the topic of margins. People seem to say that Apple is greedy for maintaining such wide margins. Let me tell you people something. It's business. Every business wants large profit margins. You people criticizing Apple for having large profit margins would do the same thing in Apple's position.

Also, look at it another way. In a bad economy, profits fall and margins shrink. However, if you have a 30% margin, your margin might shrink to 10% or 5% but you're still making money. Contrast that with a company that typically runs 5% margins and sees those margins shrink to the negatives. The latter company would have to lay off people left and right. The former may not have to. In fact, Apple was still hiring.

Also, Apple contributes quite a bit to the US economy. First of all, Apple's products are designed by engineers in Cupertino. Also, if you look at the BOM for iOS devices, a lot of them are designed by American companies. For example, Qualcomm supplies the CDMA chip for the iPhone and iPad. Qualcomm is an American company. Qualcomm is putting money in the pockets of Qualcomm and its employees in the process. Also, Apple operates tons of stores in the US. That provides jobs. Apple and other players in the smartphone space, e.g. Google, have ushered in a new era in mobile applications. We have barely scratched the surface of what mobile apps can do. From 2008 to 2010, Apple paid out over $1 billion to iOS developers. The App Store has helped the mobile applications industry grow by leaps and bounds, creating thousands of jobs in the process. So manufacturing jobs aren't the only way of contributing to the US economy.
  • Reply 143 of 148
    For those who want to bash Apple for being greedy, let's not forget that Apple is neither the first corporation to outsource jobs nor is it the only one engaged in it. As for Foxconn, Apple is not the only customer so I fail to understand why they should be the ones to pay Foxconn higher wages. Are Foxconn's other customers ready to pitch in to pay higher wages to Foxconn employees?

The way I'm seeing it, people seem to imply that others outsource to China and use Foxconn because they don't have a choice but Apple has the financial resources to take the hit to their margins and should create jobs in the US. I will comment on this but I want to address the topic of margins. People seem to say that Apple is greedy for maintaining such wide margins. Let me tell you people something. It's business. Every business wants large profit margins. You people criticizing Apple for having large profit margins would do the same thing in Apple's position.

Also, look at it another way. In a bad economy, profits fall and margins shrink. However, if you have a 30% margin, your margin might shrink to 10% or 5% but you're still making money. Contrast that with a company that typically runs 5% margins and sees those margins shrink to the negatives. The latter company would have to lay off people left and right. The former may not have to. In fact, Apple was still hiring.

Also, Apple contributes quite a bit to the US economy. First of all, Apple's products are designed by engineers in Cupertino. Also, if you look at the BOM for iOS devices, a lot of them are designed by American companies. For example, Qualcomm supplies the CDMA chip for the iPhone and iPad. Qualcomm is an American company. Qualcomm is putting money in the pockets of Qualcomm and its employees in the process. Also, Apple operates tons of stores in the US. That provides jobs. Apple and other players in the smartphone space, e.g. Google, have ushered in a new era in mobile applications. We have barely scratched the surface of what mobile apps can do. From 2008 to 2010, Apple paid out over $1 billion to iOS developers. The App Store has helped the mobile applications industry grow by leaps and bounds, creating thousands of jobs in the process. So manufacturing jobs aren't the only way of contributing to the US economy.
  • Reply 144 of 148

• Reply 145 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

People here throw the word 'free-market' around like there's actually one here. It's pretty sad when people have been brainwashed to think that whenever there's a market, there's a free market. If you want free market, 1st you need private property rights, that's been proven by economists since the 1930s. But in China, people don't even own themselves as private properties, they can't speak freely, they can go choose their job freely, they can't interact with others freely, it's not a free labor market at all. Time to wake up folks.

gosh, man, you are the reason why china is kicking our axx and keeping doing it for at least the past 10 years. if you can not wake up, 10 years later you would wake up with another trillion debt from china.

china DO have private property;

china DO speak freely as long as you don't want to explicitly overrule gov;

china DO choose their jobs freely;

china DO interact with others freely;

china DO have a free labor market;

in certain sense, china's capitalism is very much like that of japan in 80s.

it is not currency issue at all. over the past 5 years, chinese YUAN raised to 6.3-to-$1 conversion rate from 8.5-to-$1. look at our deficit with them, it is not shrinking, but increasing!!! those god damned politicians in washington all wanted to cry like baby for something they don't want to admit: they did not manage this country well. we are still importing the same stuff with higher price while american have to pay that difference from 8.5 to 6.3.

it is not the cheaper manufacture in china causing america into this madness. american have been outsourcing labor to east asia since ww2. my kitchen cabinet was made in korea in 70s. so if not china, someone will pick up these labor intensive work.

what went wrong america?

i am surprised to hear that our president asked a private sector CEO for some basic field situations. where are his advisors? can't they provide some better stuff?

we are proud of our democracy. but please take a look at the price we have to pay. don't take me wrong about democracy, but i don't think we need spend almost a billion to elect a president. yes, every 4 years, we have a new president. but take a deep look at washington, they are all the same old people your grandparents and my grandparents knew. when they are elected to be expected to fix problems for us, they would do nothing literally until their time is up. then we would have to pay to elect another one among them. we all called up chinese government as dull and undemocratic. but can anyone tell me how a god damned undemocratic country lent us a trillion dollar! ya, politicians blamed china cheaper labor or currency manipulation and unfair trade. but, i did not hear anyone among them pointing out what went wrong with us.

you know what? sometimes, i think we have to ask chinese to adopt the same political system as we do. this way, it would exhaust their money to elect their leaders and fail them and collapse completely. just like after a bank collapse, we, as owing china money, would be debt free.
  • Reply 146 of 148
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Wow... I hope I never have as little to look forward to as you do... Sad!

I'm being a realist while you are being a "delusionist".

But then again, as a shareholder, you wouldnt want to hear the truth.
  • Reply 147 of 148
    The skill most missing from American workers, is the skill to take it up the butt and happily ask for another. The monsters at Apple should keep their billions off shore, we don't want their child labor derived dollars in this country. Could Apple please stop whining about paying taxes LIKE THE REST of us. Who do they think they are? Android, anyone?
  • Reply 148 of 148
    There is truly only one reason why Apple and all the other companies that do business in China will not come back and why we can't compete with them. the Chinese government helps companies like Foxcom. Almost every big company in China is government subsidized. Our idea of helping companies is giving them tax breaks. Big corps could care less about taxes. they are taxed so little right now because of all the loop holes. Say goodbye to manufacturing in the USA.