Why Android isn't gaining on Apple in the Enterprise

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

It's much easier than that.

Switch off the found phone immediately.

Then go deep under ground. 2nd or 3rd basement, underground parking lot.

I bet there is no phone signal there. Switch phone back on and play as much as you like - with no fear of a remote wipe.

1) That's not easier.

2) Turning an iPhone off and on will not disable Find My iPhone. In fact, a user can send the commands to Apple's servers and it will execute the commands when the service phones home.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) That's not easier.

2) Turning an iPhone off and on will not disable Find My iPhone. In fact, a user can send the commands to Apple's servers and it will execute the commands when the service phones home.

Agreed. But the wonderful jailbreak guys...

I had two iPhones stolen. One abroad and one in my country. Both with find my iPhone installed. Abroad I had data roaming switched off (thank you data roaming fees) and no wifi connection at the moment of the theft. In the other instance simply bad reception, but fully functional data connection on my country network.

Both times I immediately fired up find my iPhone, phones didn't appear. I remotely wiped both. They still have to surface on the network. And it happened by the end of September 2011...

The one stolen abroad was sim locked to my country carrier. But accessing a wifi network would be possible.

My guess? Airplane mode immediately: then custom install or jailbreak of some sorts in order to reinstall it as e new iPhone without it phoning Apple's servers.

Thank you EFF and the like. You and your wonderful tinkerers just made a great innovation in phone security utterly useless.

Besides the phone I had some personal data stored on it. No, no login password, because I hate it, and i figured that I could always immediately add one (which I did before the remote wipe command was sent) in the event a phone got stolen.

In the meantime I now have to type a f password just to check on an SMS on my phone. Which means, all in all, between calls, mails, SMS, apps (use it for work) 50 to 100 passwords a day.

Find my iPhone is just a show off. People have figured how a way to circumvent it.

Airplane mode being the easiest. I am not aware if a pw locked phone can, if you bring it to a basement with no reception, be hacked easily. But I don't want to know. 2 iPhones stolen is the maximum I can take. (FYI I have the iPhone since version one. It was just bad luck (add a f bast... To that)
  • Reply 23 of 86
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Why Mac isn't gaining on Windows in the Enterprise?
  • Reply 24 of 86
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Corporate IT departments are used to managing PCs, and with it's enterprise feature set, the iPhone is closer to a PC than Android, closer to what they're comfortable with. But I wonder what will happens if MS ever get their act together in this area (e.g. Win 8)

http://atom.smasher.org/error/gallery/
  • Reply 25 of 86
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    This post is very much in my back yard as far as my work goes, i think people have gone off the track a little.

anyone that deals directly with heads of gov departments/bosses in corporate world, knows that the IT department does not dictate what devices are being used, they are told by the heads what they like to use & IT has to make that happen, basically, either internal IT or contractors tell them ideas of what can be done, then the heads choose what they would like.

they are choosing iOS because its becoming the cool gadget to have, it used to be blackberrys, these days they have moved past it, they are frustrated with RIM.

When the bigwigs have a meeting with other bigwigs, the guy with the iPad gets cool points, sounds crazy but thems the facts, I kid you not, this is what i deal with day in day out.

When good for enterprise gets implemented in companies they are told that it has iOS & Android support, they go for the iOS device, ive seen it first hand a few times, i love the iOS stuff so its a win as far as im concerned.

The corporates don't know how to use these devices they have EAs that do the work, they like to read email & look badass in meetings

Side note, the New exchange works perfectly well with iOS for native email, just need certificates to get it to work securely.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;2033691]Cook, along with Apple's iOS head Scott Forstall, now face the parallel tasks of keeping Apple's devices fresh, exciting and appealing to consumers while also keeping them reliable, manageable and well supported for IT departments. Right now, the company faces little real competition matching its efforts in either arena, but history indicates that Apple's largely unchallenged market position isn't likely to last long.[/QUOTE]

FUD much? Are you a fortune teller too?
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

I had two iPhones stolen. One abroad and one in my country. Both with find my iPhone installed. Abroad I had data roaming switched off (thank you data roaming fees) and no wifi connection at the moment of the theft. In the other instance simply bad reception, but fully functional data connection on my country network.

Both times I immediately fired up find my iPhone, phones didn't appear. I remotely wiped both. They still have to surface on the network. And it happened by the end of September 2011...

The one stolen abroad was sim locked to my country carrier. But accessing a wifi network would be possible.

My guess? Airplane mode immediately: then custom install or jailbreak of some sorts in order to reinstall it as e new iPhone without it phoning Apple's servers.

Thank you EFF and the like. You and your wonderful tinkerers just made a great innovation in phone security utterly useless.

Besides the phone I had some personal data stored on it. No, no login password, because I hate it, and i figured that I could always immediately add one (which I did before the remote wipe command was sent) in the event a phone got stolen.

In the meantime I now have to type a f password just to check on an SMS on my phone. Which means, all in all, between calls, mails, SMS, apps (use it for work) 50 to 100 passwords a day.

Find my iPhone is just a show off. People have figured how a way to circumvent it.

Airplane mode being the easiest. I am not aware if a pw locked phone can, if you bring it to a basement with no reception, be hacked easily. But I don't want to know. 2 iPhones stolen is the maximum I can take. (FYI I have the iPhone since version one. It was just bad luck (add a f bast... To that)

Find my phone is better than nothing. It has worked for some people, especially for misplaced or forgotten phones. As for stolen phones, depends how smart the thief is. Just last week in NYC, a police officer caught a thief shortly after an iphone was stolen. The story made headlines, look it up.

fwiw, you need to be a little more careful. 2 stolen phones?
  • Reply 28 of 86
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Tiny error in the graph, all Windows Phone 7 devices are upgradable to Mango.

thank goodness - that should affect all 15 users ...
  • Reply 29 of 86
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

I am confused why the jailbreak guys get the blame (of which I am one). You just answered your own questions. Shutting both data roaming off and there being no wifi in the country you were visiting precludes FInd My Phone from working. As far as the one taken at home, if the phone was restored to factory settings before you tried to use FInd My Phone, Find My Phone would not have worked either. Otherwise, previous owners of phones could be tracking the new owners around.

It is technologically possible to track the phones after a Restore because of each phone's unique IMEA number, but Apple doesn't track lost or stolen phones. Most carriers do not either. The carriers, however, will block them from the network (if reported).
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

...There are more geniuses in China than the entire population of the USA...

I'm glad someone is keeping count.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Don't forget the Mac mini. It's an ideal solution because it's price is comparable to new PCs, has almost no footprint, is extremely quiet, uses almost no energy, is fast and has a very efficient sleep mode.

The machines are a godsend at the place I work (I finally managed to get rid of the rattling and screeching windows box of only a few years old).

J.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asterion View Post

I'm glad someone is keeping count.

No one has to, it's called statistics.

J.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:

If Apple makes a mistake like RIM or some other platform comes out that is better than the iPhone, they could crash like others have in the past. Innovation comes from all parts of the world. One day an Indian or Chinese company could invent something better. There are more geniuses in China than the entire population of the USA. One of these days it might happen.

Don't think so.

You're misunderstanding Apple if you think it is as simple as some Chinese "genius" inventing "something better".

You must understand the difference between the BlackBerry--which people love to use as the example of how fast one can fall--and iPhone. BlackBerry pre-iPhone was essentially just a cell phone that was good for e-mail and text messaging. It was very easy for users to leave that behind. iPhone, on the other hand, is really a pocket-sized computer...fused, of course, with a phone (and now a "real" camera). It has over a half a million apps to run on it. It meshes seamlessly with iCloud and the rest of the Apple ecosystem.

So even if someone developed a better pocket-sized computer/phone, that's absolutely not enough. It won't get off the ground without a comparable library of apps (and the rest of the ecosystem). But this raises a classic chicken-and-egg problem for any would-be competitor.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:

Eh? You indicate that you didn't protect your iPhones with a login password. And you complain about it taken over by someone else.

Wow. As far as I know it's pretty impossible to jailbreak an iPhone if it's password protected.

I tried it and so did some of my friends with an iPhone found under the ice but it didn't work.

(It's was impossible to find the owner, we asked around everywhere, so we tried to find address info on the iPhone itself.)

I also found out that no one was inclined to help you if you could have stolen the iPhone.

The only way is to open the iPhone and change the flash ram (or something).

So, Altough I am no fan of jail breaking, I have to say that it's unfair to blame them for your own mistake.

J.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Eh? You indicate that you didn't protect your iPhones with a login password. And you complain about it taken over by someone else.

Wow. As far as I know it's pretty impossible to jailbreak an iPhone if it's password protected.

I tried it and so did some of my friends with an iPhone found under the ice but it didn't work.

(It's was impossible to find the owner, we asked around everywhere, so we tried to find address info on the iPhone itself.)

I also found out that no one was inclined to help you if you could have stolen the iPhone.

The only way is to open the iPhone and change the flash ram (or something).

So, Altough I am no fan of jail breaking, I have to say that it's unfair to blame them for your own mistake.

J.

Perhaps I'm being pedantic but it's far from being impossible. With the typical setup you have unlimited times to try and only 10,000 options. That might be tedious to check but it could be done within a few days if one really wanted access to your phone.

I used to use the alphanumeric passowrd that could be applied when using the iPhone Configuration Utility profile but with some iOS release they added an erase after 10 tries option that made this level of security no longer needed even though they also added the alphanumerics password option.

While pinolo is right about how Find My iPhone can be disabled I think there is more than enough inherent benefit that I will be buying a 3G iPad 3. I lost my WiFi iPad 2 and had zero recourse to even attempt to location it since my password lock was enabled and WiFi doesn't auto-connect to networks. It would be a rare case of connecting to something generic like Linksys or being in range of my home network to have connected to Find My iPhone* send the "please return" message, which sends you an email upon completion which would let me locate its last position.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Tiny error in the graph, all Windows Phone 7 devices are upgradable to Mango.

I don't know much about Windows Phone 7. Is that like the "Android phones are upgradeable" line where they are theoretically upgradable but the carrier never makes the upgrade available? Or is it a real, honest to goodness upgradeability?

(not that it really matters given how few Windows Phone 7 devices are out there, but I'm curious).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

This point can be reinforced by reading about Chris Langan. In case you have never heard of him, he is considered by some to be the smartest person in America. On some IQ tests he is off the scale. Now try to find something he has invented. Good luck with that...

If you read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell you'll find he investigates Langan quite extensively and in the end makes it sound as though he is somewhat of a failure when it comes to asserting his genius. It's an interesting read.

Still, this guy is crazy smart but it's not like he's out there inventing tomorrow.

Or, on the other extreme, pick your favorite invention. It is unlikely that the inventor was a super-genius as measured by IQ.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Why Mac isn't gaining on Windows in the Enterprise?

Sure it is - by almost every measure. See, for example, this article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._products.html

I don't think anyone is projecting that Macs will overtake Windows in the Enterprise, but they are clearly gaining on Windows.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Project Horizon from VMware which will blow the bring your own device wide open. Separate corporate and personal areas of a single phone where only the corp side can be wiped and administered by IT. And what platform is this being demoed on? Android. Once this becomes mainstream, the majority platform (which btw, *is* Android) will be allowed to easily and securely proliferate inside of corporations. And hopefully not screw up Exchange calendars like the iPhone/iTunes combo can.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post

Project Horizon from VMware which will blow the bring your own device wide open. Separate corporate and personal areas of a single phone where only the corp side can be wiped and administered by IT. And what platform is this being demoed on? Android. Once this becomes mainstream, the majority platform (which btw, *is* Android) will be allowed to easily and securely proliferate inside of corporations. And hopefully not screw up Exchange calendars like the iPhone/iTunes combo can.

Tell us when (if) it happens. I can't take anyone seriously who throws out a developmental, untested solution and says "Once this becomes mainstream".

Frankly, I'd be surprised if any IT department would want to mess with such a clumsy solution. Especially given that one of the bigger concerns about Android is that even a phone that's fully controlled by IT has huge security risks. A phone that's half open would be even worse.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    How can anyone refute "if some other platform comes out that is better than the iPhone?" It's impossible to refute an "if." Nicely done.

Sheesh...

Quote:

If Apple makes a mistake like RIM or some other platform comes out that is better than the iPhone, they could crash like others have in the past. Innovation comes from all parts of the world. One day an Indian or Chinese company could invent something better. There are more geniuses in China than the entire population of the USA. One of these days it might happen.

• Reply 40 of 86
    Too bad that the data included personal use items...pretty worthless.