Why Android isn't gaining on Apple in the Enterprise

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could you explain this?

Are you serious? This is old news just search for, "iPad is cannibalizing Macs". I've posted just a couple things I found, enjoy.

Quote from Tim Cook

"I think there was some cannibalisation of new Macs by iPad. We shipped a record 9.2 million iPads during the quarter, which is over two times the number of Macs that we shipped," he said.

"And it's clear that some customers chose to purchase an iPad instead of a new Mac. But the thing that really excites us is that more customers chose to buy an iPad than a Windows PC."

MSNBC

As Apple's iPad continues to fly off shelves, an analyst reckons that the tablet computer is significantly outselling Mac computers and even vying with sales of the prolific iPhone as well.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky told clients in an e-mail yesterday that his company believes Apple is now domestically selling over 200,000 iPads weekly compared to 110,000 Macs per week and just below iPhone's 3GS first quarter sales mark of 246,000 per week, according to various blog reports.

Abramsky chalks up the strong sales to "rising consumer visibility to iPad’s user experience, sustained PR/word-of-mouth marketing, 3G iPad launch, and broadening iPad apps/content."

With the international launch of the iPad imminent, Abramsky upped his estimates for 2010 sales to eight million, higher than other analyst estimates in the five to six million range.

The iPad's success has eaten into sales of Apple's iPod – little surprise as the functionality of the two is similar, just on a bigger scale — but Macs continue to sell as they did before the iPad's introduction.

And in a sign that a rising tide raises all boats, the iPad also looks set to boost sales of other tablet computers.

Links to read

http://gigaom.com/apple/two-years-55...rules-tablets/

http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/18/apple-ipad-business/

http://forbes.com/sites/briancaulfie...-business-too/
  • Reply 82 of 86
    Quote:

The iTunes thing is farely new and we made our descision before this fix. You still need iTunes for some tasks though. We really went with Android due to other banks and exchanges using it. We contacted quite a few firms who also went threw the same ordeal. Our traders are now using them on the trading floor replacing Windows tablets we had there.

You've never had to use iTunes for the iPad in enterprise. You've always been able to configure, update, add custom apps, etc. through Apple's server software. Anyone launching largish iPad deployment knows this.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    If you really have an interest in how IT folk are looking at Apple in the enterprise, Network World has an article up.

http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...ps.html?page=1

In essence it's Apple's way or die. That doesn't make it good or bad, but it does make it "different".
  • Reply 84 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

You've never had to use iTunes for the iPad in enterprise. You've always been able to configure, update, add custom apps, etc. through Apple's server software. Anyone launching largish iPad deployment knows this.

We felt we had better control and customization options with Android 3.2 and 4.0. Plus access to the entire internal drive is a must for the kind of software that is being deployed. We we're also aware of Apples entrprise options before making our choice. We made our decision and so far we're very happy with it and so are the users.

The IT department also supports the iPad by the way, the sales force uses them. However a few of them recently requested if we could get the new Motorolla Xoom2 or the Lenovo tablet because they support a pen. They need them for meetings and getting customer signatures. We gave them all Samsung Notes a while back and I guess they loved the pen feature so muh they want it for everything. Funny I thought pen on tablets was dead. I still perfer using my fingers, however I get to play with the 10" version of the Xoom2 next week after the IT department is done with it. I can't wait a new toy.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

We felt we had better control and customization options with Android 3.2 and 4.0. Plus access to the entire internal drive is a must for the kind of software that is being deployed. We we're also aware of Apples entrprise options before making our choice. We made our decision and so far we're very happy with it and so are the users.

The IT department also supports the iPad by the way, the sales force uses them. However a few of them recently requested if we could get the new Motorolla Xoom2 or the Lenovo tablet because they support a pen. They need them for meetings and getting customer signatures. We gave them all Samsung Notes and I guess they love the pen. Funny I thought pen on tablets was dead. I get to play with the 10" version of the Xoom2 next week after the decisions IT department is done with it, I can't wait a new toy.

Wanting to use the Xoom for pen use is silly. It supports pen use just like the iPad: capacitance stylii. Now the Galaxy Note, on the hand, has a Wacom digitiser in it so it can support excellent stylus usage, but if the primary purpose is for signatures then it's pointless. Any capacitance tablet can be used for signatures with or without a stylus.
  • Reply 86 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Wanting to use the Xoom for pen use is silly. It supports pen use just like the iPad: capacitance stylii. Now the Galaxy Note, on the hand, has a Wacom digitiser in it so it can support excellent stylus usage, but if the primary purpose is for signatures then it's pointless. Any capacitance tablet can be used for signatures with or without a stylus.

The Xoom2 also has a active digitiser that's why they want it. Please research your answers before replying. I know you can also use a pen on any other tablet but it's crap to do so and you cant do fine work. The Xoom2, the Lenovo and HTC Jetstream support active digitiser that is why our sales department requested one. They got the idea from the Galaxy Note.