Apple releases free update to Final Cut Pro X with multi-cam editing

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

Then what?

This is still a huge problem.

One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that if you are hired to do a post job, the company that hired you usually owns absolutely everything you create for that project. They expect and almost always require that you provide everything necessary to pick up where you left off. (That way, someone in-house can just change a title or something when the request comes in six months later.)

If a vendor gets asked to provide the project files, and the vendor comes back with "Sorry, I can't, there's no Save As... feature, are the renders OK?" then that vendor is risking a lawsuit.

Talking about vague benefits like "new paradigms" and other crap is meaningless. If you can't provide a company with everything they need to continue a project, you will not work on anymore projects. Simple.

We're planning on having people in two different cities working on FCP X projects. One to start, one to finish.

According to http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/ma...1/#verb8e5fcf4 it should be possible using the "Copy Project" option.

Are you saying that won't be able to start in City A and finish in City B? We haven't yet made the move to FCP X, so we've not tried to do this.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

We're planning on having people in two different cities working on FCP X projects. One to start, one to finish.

According to http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/ma...1/#verb8e5fcf4 it should be possible using the "Copy Project" option.

Are you saying that won't be able to start in City A and finish in City B? We haven't yet made the move to FCP X, so we've not tried to do this.

You can do what you want... Encapsulate and move your project or alternately check it out from NAS -- only one person can work on a project at a time. but multiple people can access the source footage simultaneously (read only).

I was even able to import/edit clips from my iDisk.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

Then what?

You're talking vague nonsense.

Then... anybody with imagination will be able to see the potential of FCP X.

I suspect it will gain broad acceptance among "pro" editors.

BTW, I define a "pro" as someone who understands all the tools available and selects (and exploits) those which best serve his needs for a certain activity.

Simply stated: A "pro" defines the results he can accomplish regardless of the tools available -- rather than being defined by the tools he posses (uses),

Quote:

This is still a huge problem.

One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that if you are hired to do a post job, the company that hired you usually owns absolutely everything you create for that project. They expect and almost always require that you provide everything necessary to pick up where you left off. (That way, someone in-house can just change a title or something when the request comes in six months later.)

If a vendor gets asked to provide the project files, and the vendor comes back with "Sorry, I can't, there's no Save As... feature, are the renders OK?" then that vendor is risking a lawsuit.

Talking about vague benefits like "new paradigms" and other crap is meaningless. If you can't provide a company with everything they need to continue a project, you will not work on anymore projects. Simple.

I think you will find that the above is incorrect -- a widely published misunderstanding when FCP X as first introduced.

You can encapsulate and move your project -- it's just done differently in FCP X.

You can easily prove this to yourself (if you are open-minded) by using the 30-day free trial.

Or, you can continue to spread FUD while others move on...
  • Reply 104 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can do what you want... Encapsulate and move your project or alternately check it out from NAS -- only one person can work on a project at a time. but multiple people can access the source footage simultaneously (read only).

I was even able to import/edit clips from my iDisk.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to trying out FCP X. We may not be "PRO" editors to some, but we sell a ton of our DVDs, all created on FCP. :-)
  • Reply 105 of 112
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Copy Project doesn't seem to do this, it's only for copying to another drive. But it seems as though you can take the files directly out of the project folder and send them. The only problem with that is the render files are in there too so you would just duplicate the .fcpproject file, compress/encrypt it, email it and on the other end, they should just be able to make another folder in their FCP Projects folder and drop the .fcpprojects in there, reload FCPX and it will show up in projects.

Then hopefully, the media relinking in 10.0.3 will allow it to reconnect with whatever footage is on the other end. If the Events had been sent across, it should be seamless. It would be good to be able to send just the metadata separate from the footage. That way, it's easy to get someone to categorise all your media and not have to ship large files back and forth. I'm sure as time goes on, a decent workflow will come to light.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to trying out FCP X. We may not be "PRO" editors to some, but we sell a ton of our DVDs, all created on FCP. :-)

You may not even need FCPX. How about $5 for Avid Studio? : )

http://appshopper.com/blog/2012/02/0...ipad-released/
  • Reply 107 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I bought Avid Studio (iPad only) and I rather like it. It is straight-forward and offers some features that iMovie iPad lacks. It isn't as well integrated with the content as iMovie but works well.

My 16-year-old granddaughter recently cut 3 videos entirely on her iPad using iMovie -- She is going to try Avid Studio and give me her evaluation.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I bought Avid Studio (iPad only) and I rather like it. It is straight-forward and offers some features that iMovie iPad lacks. It isn't as well integrated with the content as iMovie but works well.

My 16-year-old granddaughter recently cut 3 videos entirely on her iPad using iMovie -- She is going to try Avid Studio and give me her evaluation.

Dick, keep us posted. Kind of interested in any cool plusses or gotchas in that.

I mean, I spent $5 on a snack between breakfast and lunch, so ... : )
  • Reply 109 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Copy Project doesn't seem to do this, it's only for copying to another drive. But it seems as though you can take the files directly out of the project folder and send them. The only problem with that is the render files are in there too so you would just duplicate the .fcpproject file, compress/encrypt it, email it and on the other end, they should just be able to make another folder in their FCP Projects folder and drop the .fcpprojects in there, reload FCPX and it will show up in projects.

Then hopefully, the media relinking in 10.0.3 will allow it to reconnect with whatever footage is on the other end. If the Events had been sent across, it should be seamless. It would be good to be able to send just the metadata separate from the footage. That way, it's easy to get someone to categorise all your media and not have to ship large files back and forth. I'm sure as time goes on, a decent workflow will come to light.

We'll have plenty of chances to tweak the process. I guess in the beginning we'll send everything and later see what can be safely removed.
  • Reply 110 of 112
    Quote:

I'll get this for my children to try. iMovie won't install on the original iPad, so this looks like fun.

And, at $5, even if it's a dud, it's no big deal.
  • Reply 111 of 112
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is it? I can only think of one episode where that MIGHT be the case, but do you have evidence otherwise?

I don't recall where I read that but Apple almost never pays cash but gives products to use. So House isn't paid in cash but paid in products.
  • Reply 112 of 112
    Quote:

The app looks good, but if you have an original iPad prepare for a lot of crashes. I rebooted, make sure all apps were closed, and the farthest I've been able to get to is adding a few second clip. Then it crashes.

I am looking forward to trying it on an iPad 3 when it comes out.